Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Skandranon posted:

They are immune to fear of the same type, so probably a Fear:Undead. Someone with Fear:Holy could possibly scare skeletons, and vice versa.

Nah, we gotta leave Harry the Hammer's power unique.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
I love Nosferatu. I hope the Nosferatu fellas are in. It would be cool if there were quest chains for each vampire clan. Save the Lamia from a siege, help the Strigori towards restoring their house, whatever.

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.
Mannfred sounds like he was a giant badass until the End Times where he suddenly became totally poo poo.

Also that article pretty much confirms I'll be playing the undead first, they sound like the most special faction in the game currently.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Mannfred was a very smart man who was terrified of taking risks. He was like the Evil Overlord who tries really hard not to make any of the classic mistakes but by doing so is so paralyzed by perfectionism he can't roll the dice when he needs to. It was a good schtick for a villain; he can learn from his mistakes but they also make him even more hesitant.

Then End Times happened and he became Vampire Shinji.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

Night10194 posted:

McClellan Mannfred was a very smart man who was terrified of taking risks.

Ftfy

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

It fits because McClellan was an odious, traitorous little poo poo too!

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

BillBear posted:

Mannfred sounds like he was a giant badass until the End Times where he suddenly became totally poo poo.

Honestly, is there anyone who doesn't act like a complete imbecile during the End of Times?

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

ZearothK posted:

Honestly, is there anyone who doesn't act like a complete imbecile during the End of Times?
Settra :colbert:

That's about it though.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

ZearothK posted:

Vlad von Carstein was apparently like the single decent character in it.

I guess Settra stayed true to his character, too.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

ZearothK posted:

Well, the Skaven, if only because they weren't the brightest to begin with. And the Orcs for that matter.

And perhaps Kruber and Bardin from Vermintide, since they're the only sane ones in the party.

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition
The Slann were pretty awesome. Fatass frog wizards just said gently caress the end times and flew into space

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"
The only way I can put any kind of positive spin on it is to think of the whole history of the Old World from a 40k perspective. Without the god emperor to protect them this backwater planet eventually ended up falling to chaos and death, finally turning into a demon world because of unchecked use of chaos energies (the winds of magic).

But that's giving GW too much credit, they killed off this fantastic setting for no reason, and because the company has lost all sense of what made it great to begin with, the self depreciating comedy of a world made just to make fun of generic Tolkenesque settings.

Washout fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Mar 13, 2016

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

And look at what happened to him and his faction. Squatted.

Orv
May 4, 2011

MadJackMcJack posted:

Say what now. :toughguy:

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

MadJackMcJack posted:

They're better off. No one deserves Age of Sigmar. :smith:

I mean, poor lizardmen got turned into order demons or some poo poo. Who knows what the gently caress is even happening in that setting.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

I looked up who that dude was and what he did then and yeah, he was pretty metal. Hope we get to play as him when we get the desert expansion.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

I know it's a Mega Longshot, but I really hope Sehenesmet is of Khemri's Legendary Lords.

For those of you who don't know, Sehenesmet is a Lich High Priest entombed inside a Bone Giant. His special rules let Tomb King armies field more and more varieties of Bone Giant. He's hilarious in the extreme, IMO

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

Rygar201 posted:

I know it's a Mega Longshot, but I really hope Sehenesmet is of Khemri's Legendary Lords.

For those of you who don't know, Sehenesmet is a Lich High Priest entombed inside a Bone Giant. His special rules let Tomb King armies field more and more varieties of Bone Giant. He's hilarious in the extreme, IMO

I got a great story to tell you about my bone giant.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Orv posted:

Say what now. :toughguy:

The old armies were supposed to return in Age of Sigmar in four grand alliances, but the new "Grand Alliance: Death" book is pretty much just Vampire Counts plus the new models from End Times: Nagash. No Tomb Kings units in sight, either as minions of Nagash or allies of anyone else. There are free rules for them, but they are nowhere in the fluff.

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!
Also the webstore put all of the tomb kings poo poo into a "last chance to buy" thing. Along with the poor Brets.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Along with the Brets, I have no idea how they'd fit Empire models into the current fluff either. The game "starts" with Sigmar's push to reclaim the mortal realms, which was, what, a few weeks ago at most in story time? All the humans who aren't chaos cultists or Sigmarines are either scattered refugees or live in Sigmar's celestial magical techno Ringworld city.

There are references to empires, some even sound Warhammer 40K scale huge, but only to talk about how they got squashed by Archaon a few centuries ago.

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER

ZearothK posted:

Ogres did the smart move of not appearing at all. The prologue of the first book has one paragraph about them deciding that poo poo is about to go down, better travel west and the next time we see them is at the end of the final book, with one sentence referencing that they are now with the orcs.

ParanoidInc
Apr 27, 2013

You dun scuffed me for the last time you no-good Zayn boy!
Fun Shoe
I like the idea of the end times (mortal races hate and disgust towards eachother dooming the world) but holy poo poo was the execution terrible

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

Washout posted:

and because the company has lost all sense of what made it great to begin with, the self depreciating comedy of a world made just to make fun of generic Tolkenesque settings.

I sometimes think that the reason GW works is the creative tension between the writers who Get The Joke and the writers that don't.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

drgnvale posted:

Also the webstore put all of the tomb kings poo poo into a "last chance to buy" thing. Along with the poor Brets.

They Brets as well as the Tomb Kings in exchange for loving lightning space marines? Jesus, how bad are they at this?

I'm just glad the old IP is now out in the wild now with licensing. There is a chance a competent game company could pick it up if Total Warhammer isn't complete poo poo :smithicide:

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

So are Chaos Warriors preorder only or can they be bought

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

Whorelord posted:

Well, the price will kind of depend on the chaos warrior in question. Some of them you really just don't want to try and buy.

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER

ParanoidInc posted:

I like the idea of the end times (mortal races hate and disgust towards eachother dooming the world) but holy poo poo was the execution terrible

I liked the beginning of End Times, because it changed the dynamic of the setting. Before everyone was doing their own thing, but everyone had to fight against Chaos and eventually Chaos would gently caress everyone up. Nagash returning and uniting the undead as a force that opposes Chaos and is capable of taking over the world. And other races had these little things that could change the dynamic; orcs preparing for the biggest Waaagh!, ogres beginning a great migration, lizardmen realizing the plan of the Old Ones had failed... But then it was back to Chaos vs Everyone else as before, except evil triumphs because good is dumb.

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

Whorelord posted:

Preorder only for now, as with all Total War preorder exclusives they'll almost certainly be for sale a few months after release.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
Pretty sure they said you'll be able to buy Chaos day one.

Also new Dev Blog on Sieges.

http://wiki.totalwar.com/w/Sieges_and_Siege_AI

That's actually really interesting. They're basically shrinking down the scale of sieges from the entire city to one defensible section but compensating by making the walls and streets and defenses huge so you can do some actual movement and tactics and crap instead of everyone piling into the same 2 narrow chokepoints. I like it.

madmac fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Mar 14, 2016

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

madmac posted:

That's actually really interesting. They're basically shrinking down the scale of sieges from the entire city to one defensible section but compensating by making the walls and streets and defenses huge so you can do some actual movement and tactics and crap instead of everyone piling into the same 2 narrow chokepoints. I like it.

CA: removing gameplay to make game look more shiny for dumb people

That's how it's gonna be implemented. All style no substance

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

madmac posted:

I've been excited for this game, but relegating sieges almost entirely to the walls sounds like a bad idea. It's going to turn into a numbers game because fighting for the walls in siege battles before always resulted in a slaughter on both sides.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Phi230 posted:

Actually TW sieges have blown forever and this will probably be an improvement. There's a lot of well-thought out details here, like towers not firing inward.

quote:

I've been excited for this game, but relegating sieges almost entirely to the walls sounds like a bad idea. It's going to turn into a numbers game because fighting for the walls in siege battles before always resulted in a slaughter on both sides.

I dunno, sieges have always been a numbers game outside of baiting the AI to do something incredibly dumb. At least now the broader walls and streets should favor the attacker somewhat because it makes it harder for outnumbered defensive units to just meatgrinder them to death with chokepoints that are 1-2 units wide at best.

I'm probably biased because AoW 3 did something similar and it was a huge improvement.

madmac fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Mar 14, 2016

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

I don't have a problem with changing sieges; they were always a foregone conclusion with an artillery tax anyway.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Arcsquad12 posted:

TBH, I'd rather be forced to fight for the walls because in every TW game except for the Shoguns, every defensive siege battle could be won in stupidly-lopsided numbers by pikes in the street.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

madmac posted:

Actually TW sieges have blown forever
Yes

quote:

and this will probably be an improvement.
Uhh, yeah, you sure have a lot of faith in the guys who have made nothing but lovely siege designs finally getting it right.

quote:

I'm probably biased because AoW 3 did something similar and it was a huge improvement.

This is CA implementing the change, not the guys that made AOW.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

quote:

Uhh, yeah, you sure have a lot of faith in the guys who have made nothing but lovely designs finally getting it right.

I'm not animated by a conjoined loathing of CA or their games, so sure, I'm willing to call a good idea a good idea until I've seen it in action. And even if the implementation is buggy as poo poo it's hard to imagine it being any worse than traditional TW sieges.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
I too look forward to the changes. The whole city fight was boring and made for long drawn out fights that sucked the life out of the momentum of the game.

Hopefully this will work and it'll be nothing but fun times.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

Phi230 posted:

This is literally the same system as M2TW castles where half the outer wall was up on a cliff/moat/taken up by the main keep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.
CA have been willing to take bigger risks this time around to improve the game and I like it. I'll say this is a good idea and I hope we see it in action real soon.

• Locked thread