Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I still don't understand how mkx managed that dumb OS but only for specific variants of specific characters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Okita
Aug 31, 2004
King of toilets.

interrodactyl posted:

https://youtu.be/PRaWrA-ruPE

I'm glad capcom removed all the option selects so I have to commit when I press a button

I believe it was Momochi who was doing something similar with st. HP where you input the v-skill run cancel and it only comes out if it connects. It works very well from the max range of st. HP, you can fish for the crush counter whiff punish with it and get the automatic run cancel into combo. I use this all the time and it's amazing.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.

Okita posted:

I believe it was Momochi who was doing something similar with st. HP where you input the v-skill run cancel and it only comes out if it connects. It works very well from the max range of st. HP, you can fish for the crush counter whiff punish with it and get the automatic run cancel into combo. I use this all the time and it's amazing.

It's different, the v-skill only comes out on crush counter. Every character has this kind of OS on cancellable crush counters because the hit effect inherently has more hitfreeze. It's unavoidable if they want to use "more hitfreeze" as a visual indicator for a bigger/more powerful hit. It's also not as big a deal because the extra hitfreeze is designed to just let you easily hitconfirm it, so the OS is just kind of a lazy shortcut to something that would be 100% consistent anyway.

A move having a couple extra frames of hitfreeze on hit vs block is worse. The extra hitfreeze is actually imperceptible, doesn't help in hitconfirming since it's impossible to hitconfirm something like a light into a special cancel, and just enables Objectively Bad option selects like this. For as much as I joke around about people whining about option selects, this is one worth whining about because it's both the most harmful to interesting gameplay and is a side effect of something that has no practical value to gameplay or aesthetic. It's purely because of a dumb mistake, one fighting game devs seem to have never made until recently.

Basically its existence should tell you nearly everything you need to know about the pedigree of people developing the game (they don't know what they're doing)

bebaloorpabopalo fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Mar 12, 2016

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

play jojos with me so i can validate learning tandem combos

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Fereydun posted:

play jojos with me so i can validate learning tandem combos

You learned how piano all your attacks three to five times through a seconds long super flash, jump over and mash jab?????

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Pomp posted:

You learned how piano all your attacks three to five times through a seconds long super flash, jump over and mash jab?????

nah i already knew how to do that, i love pressing buttons

i want a reason to learn how to do 5a dash buffer 2a as dio because i can't and his dumb tandem doesnt fuckin combo from 5b

edit:
wait i mean fight me in jojos you coward

Fereydun fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Mar 12, 2016

Gunder
May 22, 2003

How much lag does using something like x360ce to make your ps4 stick work on PC introduce?

People around the internet claim it adds loads of lag, but they might be idiots, as they never mention the amount of lag, just that it was the reason they dropped their combo.

Gunder fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Mar 12, 2016

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Gunder posted:

How much lag does using something like x360ce to make your ps4 stick work on PC introduce?

People around the internet claim it adds loads of lag, but they might be idiots, as they never mention the amount of lag, just that it was the reason they dropped their combo.

Nobody has tested it as far as I can tell, but I can't imagine it takes even close to a tenth of a frame (~1 millisecond). The types of inter-proccess communication involved are orders of magnitude faster than that.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Fereydun posted:

nah i already knew how to do that, i love pressing buttons

i want a reason to learn how to do 5a dash buffer 2a as dio because i can't and his dumb tandem doesnt fuckin combo from 5b

edit:
wait i mean fight me in jojos you coward

i mean i'll fight you right now but i'm bad at it

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Are they eventually going to support PS4 sticks natively, without the need for translation programs?

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Yes

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot
if Jojos was on PC i'd probably play it 24/7

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Microwaves Mom posted:

it

it is

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Pomp posted:

it

it is

What

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
he probably means the new bad one

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

https://twitter.com/alexvallesf4/status/708736525110870016

What's an ELF player?

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

El Furerte?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

from the ecoterrorist group

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Elf is El Fuerte. Much like the elfs of fantasy, Elf players are horrible beings that should die in a tire fire.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Not having any characters as irritating as Fuerte is one thing this game has going for it... for now

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
elfelt

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Double Bill posted:

Not having any characters as irritating as Fuerte is one thing this game has going for it... for now

I mean, I'm not in love with SFV (and I also wasn't in love with SF4), but it did fix a lot of the stupid BS SF4 had throughout its lifespan. Pity it also made the game MORE boring tho.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

No one plays anime

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

I'm screwing around in training, I've set Karin to lp on guard with reversal timing, guard all. I'm doing chun's iall and then following up with a throw. The timing seems very strict.

My question: do you try and mash out the throw? Or do you time it precisely? Do you double tap the throw inputs?

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
Chun TK legs is supposedly only +1 at best, so you shouldn't be able to throw a character doing a 3f reversal jab ever. If you can throw them it means you're +2 because of some variance in height/distance that won't be consistent.

There's a huge buffer on throws, you don't need to time them well at all.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Yeah, I thought I read it's only +1, too. I can get the throw sometimes before she jabs me. And I definitely got the reversal indicator when recording. Not sure what's going on then.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

Chun TK legs is supposedly only +1 at best, so you shouldn't be able to throw a character doing a 3f reversal jab ever. If you can throw them it means you're +2 because of some variance in height/distance that won't be consistent.

There's a huge buffer on throws, you don't need to time them well at all.

Karins lp is 4f, I believe.

E: I can get a counter hit with st.mp

E: also I think you re right though in that to get +1 you need to be at minimum height. Which is probably where the inconsistency comes from, not timing

fozzy fosbourne fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Mar 12, 2016

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?
I have an irrational fear of trying out new characters in lobby and people thinking I'm a rage-quitter when I do terribly with them for the first few dozen real matches.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Microwaves Mom posted:

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
is that shadow dio combo a true infinite btw

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009

Pomp posted:

Apparently the game makes people pop out of stuff after a while automatically. dont know how long

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
If you're grounded you can get combod for like a million years

cams
Mar 28, 2003

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

I have an irrational fear of trying out new characters in lobby and people thinking I'm a rage-quitter when I do terribly with them for the first few dozen real matches.
i know this feeling. when i am in a lobby trying put characters, i make sure i turn character select on and put laura as my fave so they know. cause i'm a big loving weirdo.

really digging necalli the more i play him

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Pomp posted:

in training mode i can get to like 30~ hits and its a guaranteed kill by that point so its infinite-y enough to kill from 100% in corner

midscreen/facing out from corner about 12/3 hits is the usual, which builds roughly 1 and a half bars and leads to the corner which then kds and puts you in an unblockable situation by nature of meaty WRYYYYY super
the damage from that super + followup usually is enough to kill

there is hitstun scaling and i think it ramps up by the 20-30hit margin because getting the infinite past those markers is really really hard

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
I wish throws were faster to combat the mash jab

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
Meaty set ups on knock down counter mash jab right?

Sick! Thats DOPE
Aug 1, 2008

Oh sick man thats sick

Nodoze posted:

I wish throws were faster to combat the mash jab

I wish things were like the old Street Fighter games that were good

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

i wish i could do real tandem combos

edit:
oh its gotta be about sf5 right
i wish this game was marvel 4

Voodoo
Jun 3, 2003

m2sbr what
You'd think that all of the Fight Request settings set in the main menu would stick going into Training Mode - but apparently Ranked/Casual selections don't! Surprise rank matches with a new character - woohoo!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Karins lp is 4f, I believe.

E: I can get a counter hit with st.mp

E: also I think you re right though in that to get +1 you need to be at minimum height. Which is probably where the inconsistency comes from, not timing

c.lp is 3f though