Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brunas
Nov 5, 2012

alg posted:

Ok. But that wasn't what he said. He said this was the first time one list was popular. It isn't.

Edit: people won't stop complaining until there are no possible counters to the triple ace list

My imperial aces should be immune to any kind of damage, of course! Nah, TLT point efficiency is fine. Seems like FFG accidentally got themselves into a position where the only way to consistently get an ace in arc is turrets, and now they've printed a strong turret. Range 2-3 is a gigantic part of the board, and with no range bonus at 3 it's incredibly punishing to be caught at the end of the range band.

Here's TLT vs. standard arc size:

Some serious approximation on math: let's say the arcs are a triangle and arcs are 80 degrees.

Area of a standard 1-3 arc: ~443 cm
Area of standard 2-3 arc: ~394 cm
Area of turret 2-3 arc: ~1576 cm

That means TLTs have roughly 3.5 times the target-able space on the board.

Sucks that this is the advantage generics need to even have a shot on aces, but I don't know what else FFG could do to have nonaces be relevant. Hopefully we never see turrets make an appearance empire side, I can't think of anything less fun to deal with than TLTs and arc dodgey aces.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brunas
Nov 5, 2012

Double posting, take that, nerds.

Kai Tave posted:

Yeah this is basically where I'm at. It's fine that FFG wanted to make a turret secondary card that was decent, but I don't really view it as an unmitigated success to say "we've successfully shifted the meta to the new hotness of turret spam after the old meta of fat turrets."

They aren't even overwhelmingly dominant in a Borg Spheres sense, that's not even the point. Everyone else has said it already, they're boring as gently caress to play for or against, don't teach any lessons you can't learn against other ships, go against the entire part of the game that's based on flying well to line up your shots, and if you want to see something that spells the end of three ace lists you sure aren't gonna loving find it in an upgrade that singlehandedly makes whole swathes of generic ships a liability to fly.

I think there is one good lesson in them, which is a benchmark for point efficiency. "I want to take X at 50 points, is that better than 2 TLT Ys?" Bs were apparently good for this before, but now it's even easier to use as a benchmark since you've got a turreted arc on the thing.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

They could just print some upgrades so Rebel aces like Wedge could compete, like they did in the films.

Until all three factions have equal access to multi action arc dodging aces with viable attack and agility turrets are just one tool to keep the playing field even. Even at the height of the Phantom people pretended it somehow took more ability to play a list that got to do 3 maneuvers after every enemy ship had already moved and they could just react to whatever their opponent did.

Edit: did your math include the donut hole? Ah yeah. Just the graphic is off

alg fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Mar 12, 2016

Weirdneal
Jan 2, 2010

thespaceinvader posted:

Ok. Let me know how that goes in Store Champs season. I've not played against it, I don't know for sure how it would look, but I know z95s die easy.

A local player runs Guri+SJ+Predator+AT and 4 Zs with cluster missiles. It wrecks TLTs but gets murdered by aces; like super murdered.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

alg posted:

They could just print some upgrades so Rebel aces like Wedge could compete, like they did in the films.

Until all three factions have equal access to multi action arc dodging aces with viable attack and agility turrets are just one tool to keep the playing field even. Even at the height of the Phantom people pretended it somehow took more ability to play a list that got to do 3 maneuvers after every enemy ship had already moved and they could just react to whatever their opponent did.

I think the Veterans sets will address this to some degree. I believe the generic TIE Defenders are now pretty decent with the new titles; not so sure about the bombers though.

I'm really hoping for some good generic astromechs in the Rebel Veterans set, but it'll be difficult to make them good for the X-Wing without giving the TLT Y-Wing an unnecessary buff. That said, I don't think TLTs are overpowered, just, as many other posters said, they're quite boring to fly against.

I'd say they're roughly the same bang for your buck as a B-Wing with Fire-Control System, albeit useful for different purposes. I take one of each in my four ship rebels list for the versatility.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
The only thing an Astromech needs to be not good on TLT Y-wings is to be 2 points.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Strobe posted:

The only thing an Astromech needs to be not good on TLT Y-wings is to be 2 points.

Excellent point.

Brunas
Nov 5, 2012

alg posted:

Yeah - math isn't completely accurate, I'm too lazy to do the math on a flat edged triangle, but the ratio should be close enough, ~3.5 times standard arc.

Endman posted:

I think the Veterans sets will address this to some degree. I believe the generic TIE Defenders are now pretty decent with the new titles; not so sure about the bombers though.

Bombers are probably still trash, curse of the torpedo, and Zs are just better for missiles. TIE Defender generics (at least x7s) are complete monsters of jousting, better than TIE Fighters for the dice/hull you get by cost. Hopefully they're the new benchmark jousters are held to, and we see X/Khiraxz brought to their level.

Brunas fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Mar 12, 2016

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Defenders are p. cool options to think about.

Delta Squadron Pilot (30)
TIE/x7 (-2)

Delta Squadron Pilot (30)
TIE/x7 (-2)

"Omega Leader" (21)
Juke (2)
Comm Relay (3)

"Mauler Mithel" (17)
Veteran Instincts (1)

Total: 100

View in Yet Another Squad Builder

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

alg posted:

K Wings don't got no donut hole.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

alg posted:

Ok. But that wasn't what he said. He said this was the first time one list was popular. It isn't.

That's not what I said at all. I said this is the first time that one list has been this popular. During wave 6 you saw way more variety than you do now.

YMMV based on your local meta, obviously, but that's my experience.

Reynold posted:

Elitist nerds getting all uppity about losing to "less skilled players" using TLTs rather than expertly flown high PS arc dodgers just makes me like the TLT even more. Get over that poo poo. Ita just as annoying to play against somebody who gets like 30 games a week in on vassal before going to his flgs with a beep boop optimum build as it is to face spam.

Oh gently caress off. I don't really have problems with winning against TLTs, I just dislike how they've homogenized the meta.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Geisladisk posted:

That's not what I said at all. I said this is the first time that one list has been this popular. During wave 6 you saw way more variety than you do now.

Oh gently caress off. I don't really have problems with winning against TLTs, I just dislike how they've homogenized the meta.

Do you play xwing in bizarro world

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Geisladisk posted:

Sorry brah, your current meta sounds like TLT hell but around August 2014, literally everyone was playing fat Han. I was a sad panda since I thought of it before it became popular. But nowadays I still clean up in store champs and regionals even though it's no longer a popular list. Maybe TLT will have that, with dedicated players of the archetype championing the list years after its expiration date.

How large is your community btw? Small ones get inbred and lose the overall bigger picture much faster. How often do people in your community go to larger events? If there's no real incentive to innovate, then you do get stuck in a meta game hell. For that, I am sorry.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Fat Han was always popular lol

It just became mandatory when Phantoms released

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

It was never that popular. Han shoots first only involved taking VI and sometimes gunner. That falcon was eaten hard by swarms and Biggs walks the dogs and ultimately 4BZ, which I contend is still more dangerous than 4TLT vs Han due to burst damage output.

I'm not taking credit for inventing the incredibly upgraded Han since I never post online what the new secret technology is. I only talk about it with friends and we test and so far one particular friend has been ahead of the curve 100% wrt the new list 3-4 months down the line. It would be stupid to let that knowledge go freely. I only know that I started making what is known as Fat Han on a lark once the giant postcard promo was released since it would be funny to cover it up with upgrades.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

alg posted:

Fat Han was always popular lol

It just became mandatory when Phantoms released

My first SC was 32 people. 23 of them were running double Falcons.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Yeah as soon as Kessel Run was over people were running loaded Falcons

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Tantive 4 and C3PO was released in 2014. But eh I'll stop arguing here since you seem to equate Fat Han with Ham shoots first, which was a terrible build.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
One of the more recent store tournaments in my city's lists

(Note, we have like 8 store tournmanets here because we have way too many stores and 231 players)

First place was two TLT thugs, and IG88B. Second was Miranda TLT and a Fat Han. They were the only TLTs there.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

bunnyofdoom posted:

One of the more recent store tournaments in my city's lists

(Note, we have like 8 store tournmanets here because we have way too many stores and 231 players)

First place was two TLT thugs, and IG88B. Second was Miranda TLT and a Fat Han. They were the only TLTs there.

Han/Miranda represent!

EnjoiThePureTrip
Apr 16, 2011

Panzeh posted:

Han/Miranda represent!

I've been messing around with a Han/Miranda list lately. I think it's what I'll be taking to Store Champs.

---
Han(K) the Tank (100)

Han Solo (55) - YT-1300
Push The Limit (3), Jan Ors (2), C-3PO (3), Millenium Falcon (1)

Miranda Doni (45) - K-Wing
Twin Laser Turret (6), Extra Munitions (2), Lando Calrissian (3), Proximity Mines (3), Advanced SLAM (2)
---

Not sure if the Proximity Mines+Extra Munitions are worth the points, but I'm not sure what I'd replace them with and Slamming Away and then dropping a Prox Mine behind me seems sort of cheeky.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

EnjoiThePureTrip posted:

I've been messing around with a Han/Miranda list lately. I think it's what I'll be taking to Store Champs.

---
Han(K) the Tank (100)

Han Solo (55) - YT-1300
Push The Limit (3), Jan Ors (2), C-3PO (3), Millenium Falcon (1)

Miranda Doni (45) - K-Wing
Twin Laser Turret (6), Extra Munitions (2), Lando Calrissian (3), Proximity Mines (3), Advanced SLAM (2)
---

Not sure if the Proximity Mines+Extra Munitions are worth the points, but I'm not sure what I'd replace them with and Slamming Away and then dropping a Prox Mine behind me seems sort of cheeky.

My SC-winning Han and Miranda went like this:

Han Solo (46)
Predator (3)
Gunner (5)
Chewbacca (4)
Engine Upgrade (4)
Millennium Falcon (1)

Miranda Doni (29)
Twin Laser Turret (6)
Tactician (2)

Total: 100

A more aggressive Miranda is an interesting proposition but your Han is more vulnerable to stress attacks and nowhere near as good against high agi ships. It is, however considerably tankier. I suppose the idea is that Miranda can shore up your Fel problem by dropping a mine on him.

Chance II
Aug 6, 2009

Would you like a
second chance?
A guy at a tourney couple of weeks ago had a Dash/Miranda list and his Miranda at cluster mines. He would have Miranda run interference on swarms and crap out a string of mines in their flight path before slamming away to regen.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Chance II posted:

A guy at a tourney couple of weeks ago had a Dash/Miranda list and his Miranda at cluster mines. He would have Miranda run interference on swarms and crap out a string of mines in their flight path before slamming away to regen.

I'm not sure mines really do much to swarms- they only hit one ship(the one that activates it). Bombs do, though I think they come cheaper- less need for adv. slam.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
X-wing beat out Warhams for making money gently caress yes

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I said this when it was posted in the GW Death Thread but I don't understand how Attack Wing is selling enough to place in the top 5; I'd have expected Infinity to be in that slot.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

I'm genuinely surprised STAW is back on that list, given the number of reports of FLGS's firesaling existing stock and dumping the line.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

BattleMaster posted:

I said this when it was posted in the GW Death Thread but I don't understand how Attack Wing is selling enough to place in the top 5; I'd have expected Infinity to be in that slot.

As I understand it ICv2 basically makes poo poo up. It's not a comprehensive review of global or even US sales by any stretch of the imagination.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
At a SC right now, 1-1. Flew terribly against a Crack Swarm, 19-100, and then blew the gently caress out of Brobots 100-0. I took one damage.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?
Didn't go to Fayetteville, oh well

I think I've weighed in either here or elsewhere how I feel about specific cards in X-Wing, but it's always a careful line to tread in the thread because you inevitably get the insane "how long have you been playing this game" quote-counterargument-endquote; my thinking generally aligns with Geisladisk's regarding why TLTs are A Bad Thing for a game's health, but I also tend to agree with whomever proposed the "make TLT unique/limited" solution, because that essentially solves what I perceive to be the problem. As the rules exist today, I think that Twin Laser Turret, Omega Leader, and Crack Shot are all super-toxic to the long term health of the game, and I would not be surprised to see FFG eventually go the route of Netrunner and either start rotating stuff out of tournament legality as their game continues to expand, and/or come up with a restricted list to foster heterogeneous lists at all levels of competitive play.

Sorta excited to get my hands on some of the Wave 8 stuff, maybe. I don't know.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

gently caress TLTs Forever Shielding, Mark VI
Modification, 5 squadron points
Limited
When defending, if the attacker hits with an secondary weapon that instructs them to cancel 1 or more of their own results during the attack, at the start of the Deal Damage step, reduce the damage dealt by 1.

Smegmalicious
Mar 13, 2002

I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence.
Late to the TLT bitch fest but I wanted to chime in. I hate the TLT and think it should be a unique upgrade. That being said the real problem is that it allows for lists which make the game un-fun for lots of players.

I get that some people (apparently guys like Alg) just like having a list that wins on math rather than on flying. That's cool. I know different people enjoy different things but when the thing you enjoy ruins the fun for a bunch of other people it's time to rethink your stance.

Sure arc dodgers can be infuriating! No one is arguing that. However you can outfly them if you get good at flying.

You can't outfly math and that's what people are upset about.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?

Otisburg posted:

gently caress TLTs Forever Shielding, Mark VI
Modification, 5 squadron points
Limited
When defending, if the attacker hits with an secondary weapon that instructs them to cancel 1 or more of their own results during the attack, at the start of the Deal Damage step, reduce the damage dealt by 1.

nailed it

Smegmalicious posted:

Late to the TLT bitch fest but I wanted to chime in. I hate the TLT and think it should be a unique upgrade. That being said the real problem is that it allows for lists which make the game un-fun for lots of players.

I get that some people (apparently guys like Alg) just like having a list that wins on math rather than on flying. That's cool. I know different people enjoy different things but when the thing you enjoy ruins the fun for a bunch of other people it's time to rethink your stance.

Sure arc dodgers can be infuriating! No one is arguing that. However you can outfly them if you get good at flying.

You can't outfly math and that's what people are upset about.

Part of this problem is also in how FFG decided to parcel out each faction's apparent identity. Sure, you can outfly high-PS aces, but it gets increasingly harder the closer you are to one another in skill, and one faction is dramatically, dramatically better at dodging arcs and getting a ton of discretionary movement and good action economy than the other two are. TLTs seem to have been less of a reaction to Fat Han and more a reaction to dodgey aces who cannot tokentank, or who can't equip Autothrusters; TLTs utterly incinerate them if you make a single mistake, and sometimes even if you don't. I actually don't mind the "get good" line of advice, either, but the problem here is that Scum's entire existence as a faction hinges upon the viability of TLTs. If TLTs are suddenly no longer an attractive option for whatever reason, or FFG mysteriously banned them/errata'd them out of the game, both of their premiere lists take a huge hit (Thug Lyfe is comprised solely of TLTs, and Autothrusters Brobots are so attractive because they beat massed TLTs very easily in addition to some other stuff) to how "competitively viable" they are, whatever that may mean for you.

We have other answers for pancakes now; TLTs aren't the only thing keeping Fat Han in check anymore. The TLT thing is so precarious, to me, because if you did remove it from the competitive scene, that has a serious negative impact on two factions and does nothing but buff the side that is already, in my view, in the strongest place at the moment.

So I don't think you should outright ban TLTs, or remove them from the game, but I do think the most elegant solution is to just make them a limited upgrade. 2-of per list maximum. Seems easy to implement and still allows for the use of supplementary TLT ships, instead of making the game into Math-Wing The Miniatures Game.

Smegmalicious
Mar 13, 2002

I don't think anyone seriously wants to ban the TLT outright. I think people want to stop 4 and 3 TLT spam lists. Limiting them makes a lot of sense and fixes most of the problems. Making them unique does that and doesn't require any new kinds of rules.

That being said even completely removing them doesn't cripple Rebels. Rebels are, and have been, ahead of the other factions.

As for Scum...honestly Scum is neat but they have done a poo poo job with them. That's the problem with Scum, not anything having to do with the TLT.

Really what we are looking at here is an increasingly complex game with a very strong, very active, very smart competitive scene who will find optimal solutions against good but not great (current) designers and poor play testing. We are going to keep seeing issues like this.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD
You could totally remove TLTs from the game and still have a good game. X-Wing was a good game before TLTs.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
I understand the hate for them, but before the last wave there were like 4 lists that saw top play with any regularity. Fat Han, Dash/Corran, Decimator/Ace, and Brobots. TLTs were needed, and I'm not convinced that enough has changed that those would become the dominant lists again if they disappeared.

The game overall is much healthier now, and if TLT spam is the price I pay to play matches against lists without a large ship, I'm willing to suffer.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
A good salvaged astromech or title for Y-Wings that made them actually good at bombing (while also pricing out 4TLT) would be nice.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
Perhaps just a new upgrade card that adds agility against turrets?

Smegmalicious
Mar 13, 2002

Ringo Star Get posted:

Perhaps just a new upgrade card that adds agility against turrets?

So....Autothrusters?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BOGO LOAD
Jul 1, 2004

"You know I always had trouble really chewing the fat with my pops. Just listen to him..."
Twin Autothrusters Mk. II

• Locked thread