Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Ippo's being left behind even in the romance department.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Ippo's never been anything but behind in the romance dept. His thing with Kumi started as a literal schoolyard crush (he was still in HS when he met her right?) and has never progressed beyond that. This is like an American sitcom, it has a beginning but no middle or ending planned.

e: crossposting from the gif thread

e2: vvvv First Run represent :smuggo:

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Mar 12, 2016

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
Is it just me or do the later anime of Ippo, feel not as great as the first anime run it had

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

Is it just me or do the later anime of Ippo, feel not as great as the first anime run it had

The first run of the anime was good because it had a clear narrative beginning, middle and end. Ippo's goal was to become the champ of Japan, and at the end of things he did in the climactic Sendo rematch. But after the 'end' we got an endless stream of title defenses and, while some of them were pretty great, things clearly tended downhill.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Takes No Damage posted:

The first run of the anime was good because it had a clear narrative beginning, middle and end. Ippo's goal was to become the champ of Japan, and at the end of things he did in the climactic Sendo rematch. But after the 'end' we got an endless stream of title defenses and, while some of them were pretty great, things clearly tended downhill.

Yeah I've been pushing through the series a bit and it's like still interesting, but the magic isn't there

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Specifically, the second season of the show is kinda crappy. The Hawk fight isn't done very well IMO. The third anime is much much better and better done but it does have the problem of not having the great first part fights to run on.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

Yeah I've been pushing through the series a bit and it's like still interesting, but the magic isn't there

run

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Yeah I am watching this series while I do cardio

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
More chapters.

Dear god, I was joking like over 2 years ago I think when I said in this very thread that he was probably going to figure out some vertical motion to add to the dempsy roll.

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Next time, the secret to ippos hosed up hands are revealed

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

well that's an explanation as to why he can hit so hard, maybe we'll get an explanation as to why his brain isn't a pile of goo by now.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
It's an impressively stupid explanation though, even for this dumb manga.

Even if he wasn't wearing giant loving boxing gloves for every fight (durr), a bigger surface area wouldn't help you knock someone out at all. It's like trying to whack in a nail--would you rather have a mallet or a hammer?

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
ippo is a neanderthal

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Lamebot posted:

ippo is a neanderthal
Him having a cast-iron neanderthal skull would explain how he has only started becoming punch drunk at this point in his career.

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.
i eagerly look forward to the next reveals about ippo's giant clown-shoe feet giving him unparalleled stability in the ring and his horse-sized pecker providing a perfect counterweight during the dempsey roll

Frabba
May 30, 2008

Investing in chewy toy futures
You know what they say about dudes with big hands, Kumi-San?

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
More chapters came out. They explain some of the past of Shinoda, the boxing phantasm who coaches the jobbers of the Kamogawa gym.

Also Ippo got the idea everyone had like 3-4 years ago to add this mysterious thing called an uppercut to the dempsy roll.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Luceid posted:

i eagerly look forward to the next reveals about ippo's giant clown-shoe feet giving him unparalleled stability in the ring and his horse-sized pecker providing a perfect counterweight during the dempsey roll

I would laugh my rear end off if they gave this explanation totally straight/unironically.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Fabricated posted:

Also Ippo got the idea everyone had like 3-4 years ago to add this mysterious thing called an uppercut to the dempsy roll.
Hmm... w.. what was that... what was that just now...? That feeling...

I.. I think... I moved my body like this... and my fist... like thiswhoaWHOAMOMMAOHMYGOD!!! A... a punch came out!! In an upwards motion!!

/ Boxing genius at work

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.

Bisse posted:

Hmm... w.. what was that... what was that just now...? That feeling...

I.. I think... I moved my body like this... and my fist... like thiswhoaWHOAMOMMAOHMYGOD!!! A... a punch came out!! In an upwards motion!!

/ Boxing genius at work

To be fair, we make fun of Ippo for taking A LOT of blows to the head. Him being a tad slow is to be expected. He's trying his darnedest.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Fabricated posted:

More chapters came out. They explain some of the past of Shinoda, the boxing phantasm who coaches the jobbers of the Kamogawa gym.

Why is he even trying to improve the Dempsey Roll. It wouldn't work on the guy who beat him or Ricardo, so why bother improving that instead of improving the fundamentals. You know maybe work on fundamentals that don't require him taking a billion punches to the face, especially from outboxers like Gonzalez or Ricardo who already did that to him.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Asuron posted:

Why is he even trying to improve the Dempsey Roll. It wouldn't work on the guy who beat him or Ricardo, so why bother improving that instead of improving the fundamentals. You know maybe work on fundamentals that don't require him taking a billion punches to the face, especially from outboxers like Gonzalez or Ricardo who already did that to him.
After losing to Metztli McGonzo due to lack of strategy and fundamentals, Ippo learned the valuable lesson that the reason he lost is because he didn't try hard enough.

I wish I was joking.

EDIT: Also the only reason he even had a chance to pull of the dempsey roll in that match and thus stand a shadow of a chance is because Gonzo decided to unleash METZTLI MODE in which he discards his tactic which has been working flawlessly in favour of diving head first into the tornado of fists that is Ippo. Because he used to be a street fighter, or whatever.

Again, I wish I was joking.

Bisse fucked around with this message at 10:49 on May 10, 2016

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Asuron posted:

Because you need to be able to spam square+triangle+L1 combos to win fights, not tap square over and over again. Every good boxer has a special secret punch in Ippo.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Bisse posted:

After losing to Metztli McGonzo due to lack of strategy and fundamentals, Ippo learned the valuable lesson that the reason he lost is because he didn't try hard enough.

I wish I was joking.

EDIT: Also the only reason he even had a chance to pull of the dempsey roll in that match and thus stand a shadow of a chance is because Gonzo decided to unleash METZTLI MODE in which he discards his tactic which has been working flawlessly in favour of diving head first into the tornado of fists that is Ippo. Because he used to be a street fighter, or whatever.

I liked the whole thing where Takamura revealed to Ippo that the old man was disappointed that Ippo recognized that he was totally outboxed during the match and that he just kinda had to get better if he was gonna win.

Because REAL champs are like crazy people and never acknowledge defeat or why they lose.

So when a boxer with higher level technical skills and more experience fighting world-class opponents beats you, the wrong thing to say when asked why you lost is, "That guy totally had my number and kicked my rear end. I need to improve my strategies."

The correct thing to say is, "THAT WAS LUCKY. I SLIPPED OR SOMETHING. gently caress THAT GUY. I'LL GET HIM NEXT TIME! WHAARRRBLE"

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Bisse posted:

I wish I was joking.

Ohh I know. I just don't understand the author, the early stuff is all very good about building up that Ippo is trying to round out his weaknesses which leads into the nice climax of the Sendo rematch where he takes everything he's learned and improved upon and clinches the belt. Then he just stops doing that in favour of working on the Dempsey Roll, even though historically his toughest opponents were always outboxers and you'd think the next logical step for the author would be to work on that. It's okay having the Dempsey Roll as one of his special moves but the character already knows it doesn't work the higher up he goes, so why the hell is he spending time working on it again.

If he ever gets to Ricardo he never beats him with it and the if the narrative has him facing Miyata instead it's the same bloody story.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
if anyone wants to watch 2 boxers close to ippo's weight fight like he does

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHkX6v6L8kM

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Jose posted:

jesus christ. However much they made wasn't enough. :stare:

KittenofDoom
Apr 15, 2003

Me posting IRL

Fabricated posted:

More chapters.

Dear god, I was joking like over 2 years ago I think when I said in this very thread that he was probably going to figure out some vertical motion to add to the dempsy roll.
"Next on Hajime no Ippo: We introduce the radical concept of 'up!'"

Wasn't the gazelle punch Ippo's original gimmick? Has it taken him years to think of anything other than, "HIT HARD BLOCK WITH HEAD?"

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

I'll show you... a nightmare...
I'm so much more invested in Aoki's stuff than Ippo's.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
anyone know exactly why the chapters have such huge periods between releases? is it a translator thing (probably not a whole ton of interest) or a author thing (maybe burned out?)

that said i really do hope we're entering the latter few years here. one reason i hope they dont introduce the "takamuras eye is hosed up actually" thing again for real is because i feel it'll drag things on..dudes got 4 more titles to go through, and he's taken 500+ chapters per belt so far....

the timing sync doesnt seem to work for takamura and ippo really, the two biggest characters. ippos realistically only got say 4-5 more fights before he should win the title (if you assume something like 1. random 2. itagaki 3. sendo 4. miyata 5. ricardo martinez) with maybe a random thrown in there on top. takamura doesnt have real fights with the same frequency..sure they'll have a few chapters of him in round 9 against like Baisy Duck but it wont be a hawk / eagle level event.

realistically w/ the way they have the belts setup i can see ippo taking 1 and miyata taking the other i guess. but it'll feel weird if ippo and miyata fight after ippo fights ricardo, so maybe ippo will win the WBC from miyata and then go for unification against ricardo or something like that. sendo iii has to be in there at some point but i can't imagine where, maybe sendo takes OPBF when miyata vacates for the world title and ippo beats him for it.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

oh also they're definitely going to have to do the other 2 storylines hinted at... aoki retiring and allowing kimura to rise a weight class and itagaki winning the japanese championship from imae. these are each going to be pretty long events, probably like 80 chapters between them and then filler / around the arc chapters. so there is a ton of this story still to go

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
The thought of further long-term character goals in this manga is sending my mind into a fugue state.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
3 more chapters out today

Wasn't Iga's strategy the same as Kimura's for fighting Mashiba?

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

YOU CAN NOT BUST THE KRUST

Centzon Totochtin posted:

3 more chapters out today

Wasn't Iga's strategy the same as Kimura's for fighting Mashiba?

Yeah. That's what I thought, too. How did Kimura not make that connection? It was just like Kimura's Dragonfish blow against Mashiba. Use repeated body shots until the opponent is solely focused only on defending their body, then smash 'em up top with a punch they don't see coming.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
2 more chapters out. What a surprise.

After all this time, the new evolved Dempsey Roll in action. How long was it from it being hinted/said was a thing to finally happening?

Huzzah! fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Jul 2, 2016

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I would just like to say:

ABOUT GODDAMN TIME.

Jose posted:

That was a good fight.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Jul 2, 2016

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Huzzah! posted:

2 more chapters out. What a surprise.

After all this time, the new evolved Dempsey Roll in action. How long was it from it being hinted/said was a thing to finally happening?

ive been rereading parts of this manga and its actually funny to notice things that are themes / direct foreshadowing that show up ages later. here's two (don't have exact chapters but rough estimations of where they were)

1. new dempsey roll - this is more a "theme" than anything, because the dempsey roll has been "beaten" since sendo (aka 2nd time it would be used in a match). but somewhere around the sawamura arc they start talkinga bout adding to it, and how the coach is ingraining a new punch in ippo. so that's like 500+ chapters of this

2. the new focus on fighting without humanity / "making it back home in one piece". this one was actually a bit startling to me because they repeat these phrases so often i can't imagine it wasn't intentional. ippo starts talking about making it home in one piece (those exact words (translated tho)) back around when hes going to fight miyata b4 it gets cancelled. this is revisted now about how ippo won't go the extra mile because he's still tethered to "remaining human" (i think this means the whole taking over the boat thing). basically ippo can't win on the world stage until he fully throws himself in like takamura / sendo / etc. basically theres like 400 chapters of this popping up and now being expanded upon

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Heh... Spider-man... Web searches... That's funny. I should've trademarked that one. Could've made a mint.
I said before that the one main thing that Takamura was trying to drill into Ippo :v: was that he couldn't go onto the world stage with that kind of thinking. Ippo has always treated boxing as a "how far will I go?" thing, and he's never thought once that his future will end up somewhere else beyond taking over the fishing business.

Compare him to Date and his fight with Ricardo. Date put his life on the line to try and become world champion: broke his hand, chin and ended up in a pretty bad shape.

Despite his patented defense of blocking punches with his face, Ippo is still mindful about getting too busted up in his fights. Everytime he ends up with obvious injuries, his mom and Kumi keep telling him how bad they feel at seeing him like that.

If Ippo is ever going to become world champion, he has to change his way of thinking to "I want to go to the top, no matter what!". That means stop waiting for the Miyata fight, stop worrying about coming home back in one piece, and realize that he's not a fisherman that does boxing on the side, he's a boxer that works as a fisherman to help his mom.

And for god's sake, he should ask the old man to finally teach him how to dodge!

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

most of him getting hit is just artistic license really.. like in-universe, ippos known for his ability to weave in and out of shots. i forget where but theres even a part where miyata says that the scariest thing about him is his defensive ability to avoid close range punches. morikawa doesnt do a great job showing this and several ludicrous gimmick fights in a row made it even worse, though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

tbp posted:

most of him getting hit is just artistic license really.. like in-universe, ippos known for his ability to weave in and out of shots. i forget where but theres even a part where miyata says that the scariest thing about him is his defensive ability to avoid close range punches. morikawa doesnt do a great job showing this and several ludicrous gimmick fights in a row made it even worse, though

Yeah, I get the impression that Ippo getting his is less a matter of him being bad at defense and more a matter of his opponents being extremely good at offense. Against anyone who isn't top class Ippo is probably very good at avoiding their punches.