Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

MrYenko posted:

Until you have experience with tri-wing screws, you can all quit your bitching. Nothing like a titanium #5 tri-wing with a stripped head.

:suicide:

Show us on the doll where the big bad DC-10 touched you...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Enourmo posted:

Obviously, a miniaturized clutch that must be depressed with a keyed peg in the center of the socket to engage the shaft.

One step further from Fuji nuts I guess?

I guess there's that other kind that have springs too, what are they called?

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Iron Maiden's plane was damaged today, in Chile.

quote:

Ed Force One was this morning tethered to a tow truck to be taken for refuelling prior to flying over the Andes to Cordoba for the next show. On moving the steering pin that is part of the mechanism that connects the ground tug to the aircraft seemingly fell out. On making a turn the aircraft had no steering and collided with the ground tug badly damaging the undercarriage, two of the aircrafts engines and injuring two ground tug operators, both of whom have been taken to hospital. We hope of course that they make a full and speedy recovery and we will be closely monitoring their progress. The flight engineers are on site and evaluating the damage, but their initial report is that the engines have suffered large damage and will require an extended period of maintenance and possibly two new engines.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Metal.

Edit: :rock:

Godholio fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Mar 12, 2016

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

14 INCH DEVITO posted:

loving lol I legit think this is that place i worked at for like a month, any more info?

tl;dr reddit I would have to find it.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJBgUbPAeH0

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

watgun.gif

Do you have state inspections.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

One of these things is not like the other...

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

MrChips posted:

IT TOUCHED MY SOUL

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

CommieGIR posted:

One of these things is not like the other...

VW?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

04 TDI motor.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

They do rocker shaft kits doncherknow.

I don't understand how they fail to do simple basic things that other brands mastered decades ago. Rocker shafts are not a revolutionary new cutting edge technology.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Slavvy posted:

They do rocker shaft kits doncherknow.

I don't understand how they fail to do simple basic things that other brands mastered decades ago. Rocker shafts are not a revolutionary new cutting edge technology.

It was their first Common Rail. And they did work out the bugs.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

The Twinkie Czar
Dec 31, 2004
I went for super stud.

veedubfreak posted:

In olden times you could get this neat little guy that replaced the hubcap on your spare tire.

Also, it was super fun trying to find correct ball seat lug bolts for my Porsche alloy knockoffs. Everything is cone now, so finding ball seat in the correct size is a bitch.

That biggest wrench would be 36mm, the size of the rear axle, flywheel, and cooling fan nuts. But you really need a socket for the latter two and good luck budging the first, especially with the ornamental Chinesium those are made with now.

Aircooled VW carbs have a brass inlet pressed into the aluminum body. This can lead to the most fiery of failures.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
What's the fix? Tap it for a proper fitting or something?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Safety wire around the hose clamp to the carb throat or something, usually.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Eh, good enough. The accelerator cable on my 540 likes to pop out of the ferrule and stick about 40% open, i've got it wired down

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Shortly out of high school I was cruising around at night in my very first ACVW, didn't know poo poo about them other than they were cool and I felt cool.

Going up a hill and suddenly the engine cut out, well poo poo that sucks. Dig my weak rear end flashlight out of the glovebox and open up the engine lid to see what I can see, and notice that fuel line is just kind of dangling there next to the carb. Cool, I can fix that! I thought to myself, and plugged it back in. Never even thought to check how much fuel had been spewed all over the engine, just climbed back into the driver's seat, turned it over until it fired it up, and drove off.

Didn't really appreciate until some years later how close I'd been to turning that car into a pyre.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

xzzy posted:

Shortly out of high school I was cruising around at night in my very first ACVW, didn't know poo poo about them other than they were cool and I felt cool.

Going up a hill and suddenly the engine cut out, well poo poo that sucks. Dig my weak rear end flashlight out of the glovebox and open up the engine lid to see what I can see, and notice that fuel line is just kind of dangling there next to the carb. Cool, I can fix that! I thought to myself, and plugged it back in. Never even thought to check how much fuel had been spewed all over the engine, just climbed back into the driver's seat, turned it over until it fired it up, and drove off.

Didn't really appreciate until some years later how close I'd been to turning that car into a pyre.

Viking Deutschland funeral!

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

The Twinkie Czar posted:

That biggest wrench would be 36mm, the size of the rear axle, flywheel, and cooling fan nuts. But you really need a socket for the latter two and good luck budging the first, especially with the ornamental Chinesium those are made with now.

Aircooled VW carbs have a brass inlet pressed into the aluminum body. This can lead to the most fiery of failures.

I thought he was using that extinguisher as a loving jackstand. NO GOOD NO GOOD JESUS oh.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I've installed a Blazecut system in both of my ACVWs. They're my daily drivers, and I can't afford to have one burn down. As it is, they function as mechanical backups for each other, and to lose one would be to lose my "get to work on time" buffer.

Each also has two separate extinguishers. The bus has one in the back by the bed, and in the front accessible from the driver's seat. The beetle has one in the frunk, and one also accessible from the driver's seat.

I guess this is the wrong thread, then? Because extinguishers/fire suppression is decidedly not a mechanical failure. Well, maybe the mechanical failure is that you have an engine family that warrants such caution.

The Twinkie Czar
Dec 31, 2004
I went for super stud.
That Blazecut video is pretty incredible. To be fair to that engine family I think that carb issue usually comes only after a couple decades of use. Fuel filter placement is a big can of worms, including the claim that a filter just before the carb adds weight that leads to that failure. A threaded fitting or safety wire is the fix. I would worry about wire rubbing into the carb body.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

What happened to the 'These are the people you share a road with' thread?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

It's currently one slot below this one in the forum list :P

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

Sagebrush posted:

It's currently one slot below this one in the forum list :P

Ahhhh, I must have unsubscribed from it- it's been in my bookmarks forever and now it's not. Damnit well enjoy the picture of a dumbass.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

ShittyPostmakerPro posted:

What happened to the 'These are the people you share a road with' thread?

Holy poo poo. I'm dying more than that driver's pride.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Godholio posted:

Holy poo poo. I'm dying more than that driver's pride.

You know drat well they didn't even see the painted tunnel, because they were staring at their phone.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Johnny Aztec posted:

Iron Maiden's plane was damaged today, in Chile.

I wonder if they have insurance for something like that. Engines are almost as expensive as the plane (when it's new)

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Planes that size are primarily owned by holding companies and leased to the operators. The engines are sometimes owned by a different company and also leased to the company holding the airframe. There's insurance every step of the way.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?
Some people will just toss the bodies of dead pets out on the side of the road.

Here in texas, we do that with engines (and transmissions apparently)

(to be serious, the mechanical failure was whatever this engine was strapped to in the back of someone's pickup)

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I hope you brought that poor thing home to care for it until you could find it a loving home. :ohdear:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Elmnt80 posted:

I hope you brought that poor thing home to care for it until you could find it a loving home. :ohdear:

It's some kind of lovely v6 though.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

The stick-on Cadillac badge is killing me.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

The stick-on Cadillac badge is killing me.

You mean the"FIAT" logo?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

The photo quality is so bad it actually does look more like a Caddy badge.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

At work they occasionally sell off the managers ex lease cars or site vehicles. A month ago there were two Toyota hilux invincible sold. One had 200k on it with the note "had oil leak, last serviced at 180k". Obviously it was cheap and beat up but there were still about 15 people put their names down to buy it.

I know the guy who got it and my wager that it's been leaking and ran dry 20k ago was apparently correct.

It's not been off site for 2 years so the first time he took it in third gear it windowed the block, about 200 yards off site. Apparently the chunks dripping from the sump had the consistency of road tar.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Cocoa Crispies posted:

You mean the"FIAT" logo?

Is it?

Godholio posted:

The photo quality is so bad it actually does look more like a Caddy badge.

Yeah, that's why I mistook it. My bad.

burning swine
May 26, 2004

Went to the junkyard a while ago to try to grab some LS400 parts. That feel when you arrive and your donor car has been blown up by an IED:

it had a good run, on the other hand

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Odd, I don't recall pulling any parts from an LS400 recently. :v:

MrChips posted:

his previous incarnation was in the back row of one for a france to UK flight sometime in the 70s.

kastein fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Mar 15, 2016