Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

The Sisko posted:

In a little over a week I'm going to be in Boston visiting some friends and family and looking for places to move. If any goons want to grab a beer or play a game feel free to PM me. Bulbasaur can confirm I'm not a smelly neck beard (mostly).

Lies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

PierreTheMime posted:

Finished my first Aberrant model:

This army is going to take a while. There are so many damned details on all these. It'll be months before I have the box finished with the time I have to paint. Still worth it.

I've been painting my tyranids for 5 years and I'm almost done with a unit of genestealers. A month or two for those guys is nothing!

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Last time I played with the Tau Commander in Last Stand, firing his skyray barrage on a bunch of orks meant they started flying around the map as they died, in a circular fashion, as apparently the ´physics engine could no longer move them horizontally nor place them anywhere on the ground as they were supposed to.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

evilmiera posted:

Last time I played with the Tau Commander in Last Stand, firing his skyray barrage on a bunch of orks meant they started flying around the map as they died, in a circular fashion, as apparently the ´physics engine could no longer move them horizontally nor place them anywhere on the ground as they were supposed to.

Were any of them Weirdboyz? That's exactly how they die.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Technowolf posted:

Were any of them Weirdboyz? That's exactly how they die.

No, it's definitely a hilarious bug. I've seen it tons of times.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Keeps happening to me with Ravagers, which in turn makes their tail physics freak out in a conga line of hilarity.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

The Sisko posted:

In a little over a week I'm going to be in Boston visiting some friends and family and looking for places to move. If any goons want to grab a beer or play a game feel free to PM me. Bulbasaur can confirm I'm not a smelly neck beard (mostly).

You have friends? What's that like.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

The Sisko posted:

What up, come play on my Skullingrad table. buffchix and Ignite Memories can confirm that I have a cramped kitchen gaming space and good beer.

Ignite Memories posted:

No, it's definitely a hilarious bug. I've seen it tons of times.

It's firmly in the "it's not a bug, it's a feature" camp IMO

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010
Noticed something while watching Dawn of Awesome 6 again.

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

i,m going to kill myself on friday #wow #whoa
Fun Shoe
There's game balance now? :confused:

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Post 9-11 User posted:

Noticed something while watching Dawn of Awesome 6 again.

poo poo now I gotta make a seventh one

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Any DC area people up for a game some weekend?

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
So Maulerfiends. I was thinking of running a pair of them as a kind of skittering distracting vehicle hunting pack, since it really fits my aesthetic. (Though using a blood slaughterer that I picked up instead of the dinobot) How effective will this tactic be? I figure it will take fire off of other vehicles, like rhinos and hellbrutes, while providing anti vehicle punch.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
Any of you idiots want a Deffkopta?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/-/182052852408#shpCntId

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

jadebullet posted:

So Maulerfiends. I was thinking of running a pair of them as a kind of skittering distracting vehicle hunting pack, since it really fits my aesthetic. (Though using a blood slaughterer that I picked up instead of the dinobot) How effective will this tactic be? I figure it will take fire off of other vehicles, like rhinos and hellbrutes, while providing anti vehicle punch.

They are surprisingly fast and against vehicles very strong. Against pretty much anything else... not so much. That said, they're cheap and if you can give up the Heavy Support slots for them they're fun and can be effective.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
Necron Overlord DoWII chat:

Almost had a doppleganger group last night:

Turns out crons get pretty good when you stick together and suppress everything:

drat bloodlettters shredder our armor too fast then the GUO ate us. Forgot how fun TLS is.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

Spoiler: the Glyph of the Reclaimer accessory that grants Immortal Reclamation is nuts. The DoT on Immortal Reclamation does about as much damage as a stack or two of the Hive Tyrant miasma and grants insane regeneration, the only downside is that it roots you while it is active. It pretty much lets you shred big targets with the Voidreaper AND ruin blobs of trash.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

I'd buy it I guess.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

LingcodKilla posted:

I'd buy it I guess.

well I meant more like

heres a link, to buy it

But if you wanna make an offer

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Yeah I'll check the link tomorrow when I'm my computer. Stupid pound conversion.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
I'm back down in the MD area this weekend so I hung out with Shadow Daishi and ANAmal.net at ANAmal's place for a game of 40k. The game was 3k points total, ANAmal's Dark Angels vs. my White Panthers (1800) + Shadow Daishi's Space Wolves (1200).

We've been playing around with some of the variant mission types in different campaign books and expansions and decided to play a mission out of Stronghold Assault -- Breakthrough. In this mission, the board is set up length-wise, with a 24" gap between deployment zones. The Defender has to take at least one fortification (we had an Imperial Bastion, an Aegis Defense Line, and 2 Battlecannon-equipped Vengeance Weapon Batteries), and the Attacker's job is to break through the defenders' lines and leave the table via the far short table edge. For each unit that leaves the table in this way, the Attacker scores D3 Victory points. The attacker also scores 2 VPs for Linebreaker, plus 1 for each unit in the defender deployment zone at the end of the game.

The defenders on the other hand, score 1 VP for each destroyed attacker unit, plus 3 for each objective they control--all 3 are placed in the defender deployment zone at the start of the game. Defenders get the first turn, unless the Attacker can seize.

The armies in play. Not pictured: Shadow Daishi's shameful unpainted mans. He's working on them, though!

Setup--ANAmal's sweet Cityfight table setup post-deployment. Probably too much terrain, given that he was forced to funnel into two long alleyways on his way up the table. Reserves-wise, we held back two SW flyers (one a transport full of Wulfen, the other a gunship), Murderfang in a drop pod, and a squad of jump pack assault marines. On ANAmal's side, he held back a Nephilim Fighter and a squad of Deathwing Terminators.

ANAmal ran his guys primarily up the right flank, where he had three rhinos and a land raider following his Knight in what quickly became a mess. We immobilized his dreadnought turn 1, pretty much taking it out of the game.

The Battlecannons were pretty worthless this game, whiffing for the most part as they tried to hit the closest targets. Murderfang came in first turn, dropping down near the building and right in front of the Knight. The two ended up ignoring each other as they passed, as Murderfang wouldn't have done much to it. As units clashed mid-table, ANAmal unloaded his Land Raider and 5 chainfist-equipped Deathwing poured out, ripping open my Land Raider Crusader and forcing the command squad inside to pile out.

The middle of the board got gummed up pretty quickly, especially on that left flank. We spent a good chunk of the game trying to take down the Knight which tore through my devastators before they could do much damage. ANAmal's biggest blow came when his Deep Striking terminators mishap'd, allowing us to place them anywhere we wanted. So we dumped them back on the far table edge, basically making them irrelevant.

My Assault Squad replaced the fallen Devastators, capturing the Bastion objective while ANAmal's damaged Nephilim zoomed by and off the table, scoring 3 VPs for ANAmal.

Things get crazy in the middle of the board:

ANAmal rams his way past the defense line, forcing the Vindicator to back up in order to fire. When that fails, Thunder Hammer Wulfen charge in from the side in an attempt to take it out.

We finally took down the Knight when my dreadnought charged it and the two destroyed each other simultaneously, but ANAmal managed to get another squad off the board after destroying one of my squads holding the third objective marker. He scored 3 VPs for the squad, while denying us 3 of our own. Meanwhile, we attempted to destroy the remaining rhinos to slow down his advance. Shadow Daishi's flyers got involved as well. I have yet to see either one of those loving things get destroyed in a game.

At the end of turn 5 we had a tied game--ANAmal had 6 VPs for escaped units thanks to some lucky rolls, plus 2 for Linebreaker, 1 for First Blood, and 4 for units in our deployment zone. Meanwhile we had 6 for objectives and 7 for destroyed units. Had the game ended there, we'd have called it even. Unfortunately for ANAmal, the variable game length roll called for an extra turn, leaving ANAmal in a pretty untenable situation and forcing a Space Wolves + White Panthers victory.

All in all a fun game--It's an interesting mission to run with some cool dynamics and I had a great time.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Am I missing something or is there no ally matrix for the Deathwatch?

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Gapey Joe Stalin posted:

Am I missing something or is there no ally matrix for the Deathwatch?

They're yet another imperial faction which means it doesn't matter and everyone's best friends. I wish they had kept the more detailed matrix from 6th.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Anyone got a copy of the 3rd edition codex? Need to see what they had Cortez set up with, unless that's :filez:

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

I hope to see you next time, and take care all
I haven't played DOWII in ages, but I'll throw my hat in the gaming pile
http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197993202327/

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

SRM posted:

What up, come play on my Skullingrad table. buffchix and Ignite Memories can confirm that I have a cramped kitchen gaming space and good beer.

It's firmly in the "it's not a bug, it's a feature" camp IMO

I absolutely don't want Relic fixing it either. In fact this is how all enemies should die, especially the giant ones.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Kilo147 posted:

Anyone got a copy of the 3rd edition codex? Need to see what they had Cortez set up with, unless that's :filez:
He kinda sucks but here ya go:

I doubt anyone cares since it's rules that have been out of production for well over a decade.

It's been a little bit, but I've got more stuff for my Blood Axes! This time it's a unit of Kommandos. While these guys aren't really the best unit in the game, I've always dug the metals (the Nob is among my favorite minis ever) and they fit in thematically with Blood Axes too well not to take! It's a mix of Forgeworld bits, modern plastics, and 2005 metals on these guys.

Some older hams might recognize their camo scheme, which I based on the old 2nd ed Blood Axe Kommandos:

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
I love everything you do SRM. Those orks look awesome. I love your old school model homages.

BTW, if I ever decide to do a Forgefiend, does anyone have any suggestions for a suitable model. For the record, I am not a huge fan of the GW Forgefiend/maulerfiend model, which is why I am using the Blood slaughterer for my maulerfiend.

jadebullet fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Mar 13, 2016

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
SRM and Yeast need to hamslam together to recreate a battle for Armageddon

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

SRM posted:

He kinda sucks but here ya go:

I doubt anyone cares since it's rules that have been out of production for well over a decade.

Huh, I thought his powerfist and bolt pistol were mastercraft. go fig.

jadebullet posted:

I love everything you do SRM. Those orks look awesome. I love your old school model homages.

This. A thousand times this. Although it is SRMs fault I'm getting back into the hobby.

Reminds me, if anyone has an old rear end Cortez model, pm me or email me Kilo147 (at) Live.com

Kilo147 fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Mar 14, 2016

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

jadebullet posted:

Thanks man! Old school and Ultramarines are two things I can't get enough of.

BULBASAUR posted:

SRM and Yeast need to hamslam together to recreate a battle for Armageddon
The Sex Cannon and I are gonna do Space Stalingrad with my Valhallans and his Steel Legion at NOVA hopefully; Armageddon is only a matter of time!

Kilo147 posted:

Huh, I thought his powerfist and bolt pistol were mastercraft. go fig.
Only the finest wargear for a captain of the Crimson Fists

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

SRM posted:

Only the finest wargear for a captain of the Crimson Fists

It's enough I can recreate his rules as a Kill Team special character for the HoR Campaign, seeing as Pedro is just too goddamn expensive.

DeadGame posted:

Yeah I'm interested.
Hey, email me Kilo147@ live.com I've got myself, you and Posigniat interested in Kill Team action at Mox or somewhere in the general area. Want to figure out how we are going to do this, whether it's full on campaign rules or just one off battles.

Kilo147 fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Mar 14, 2016

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Sometimes I wish I'd given up and just started airbrushing. Its taken me 5 days to paint 3 jetbikes, have 4 more to go, and Im starting to hate them

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yo Goons, don't forget about the elite mod -

https://www.dawnofwar.info/index.php?page=download

I remember playing it last year and it was pretty good. Not to be confused with the Codex mod, that tries to make it directly like table top and is arse.

Edit: I think i'm in the wrong thread :ohdear:

Irate Tree fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Mar 14, 2016

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Irate Tree posted:

Yo Goons, don't forget about the elite mod -

https://www.dawnofwar.info/index.php?page=download

I remember playing it last year and it was pretty good. Not to be confused with the Codex mod, that tries to make it directly like table top and is arse.

Edit: I think i'm in the wrong thread :ohdear:

I don't like some of the changes of the Elite mod, but do like all the new paint schemes they added, including Lamenters.

That said theres way more people playing vanilla right now, especially because of the sale.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer

TheChirurgeon posted:

I'm back down in the MD area this weekend so I hung out with Shadow Daishi and ANAmal.net at ANAmal's place for a game of 40k. The game was 3k points total, ANAmal's Dark Angels vs. my White Panthers (1800) + Shadow Daishi's Space Wolves (1200).

We've been playing around with some of the variant mission types in different campaign books and expansions and decided to play a mission out of Stronghold Assault -- Breakthrough. In this mission, the board is set up length-wise, with a 24" gap between deployment zones. The Defender has to take at least one fortification (we had an Imperial Bastion, an Aegis Defense Line, and 2 Battlecannon-equipped Vengeance Weapon Batteries), and the Attacker's job is to break through the defenders' lines and leave the table via the far short table edge. For each unit that leaves the table in this way, the Attacker scores D3 Victory points. The attacker also scores 2 VPs for Linebreaker, plus 1 for each unit in the defender deployment zone at the end of the game.

The defenders on the other hand, score 1 VP for each destroyed attacker unit, plus 3 for each objective they control--all 3 are placed in the defender deployment zone at the start of the game. Defenders get the first turn, unless the Attacker can seize.

The armies in play. Not pictured: Shadow Daishi's shameful unpainted mans. He's working on them, though!

Setup--ANAmal's sweet Cityfight table setup post-deployment. Probably too much terrain, given that he was forced to funnel into two long alleyways on his way up the table. Reserves-wise, we held back two SW flyers (one a transport full of Wulfen, the other a gunship), Murderfang in a drop pod, and a squad of jump pack assault marines. On ANAmal's side, he held back a Nephilim Fighter and a squad of Deathwing Terminators.

ANAmal ran his guys primarily up the right flank, where he had three rhinos and a land raider following his Knight in what quickly became a mess. We immobilized his dreadnought turn 1, pretty much taking it out of the game.

The Battlecannons were pretty worthless this game, whiffing for the most part as they tried to hit the closest targets. Murderfang came in first turn, dropping down near the building and right in front of the Knight. The two ended up ignoring each other as they passed, as Murderfang wouldn't have done much to it. As units clashed mid-table, ANAmal unloaded his Land Raider and 5 chainfist-equipped Deathwing poured out, ripping open my Land Raider Crusader and forcing the command squad inside to pile out.

The middle of the board got gummed up pretty quickly, especially on that left flank. We spent a good chunk of the game trying to take down the Knight which tore through my devastators before they could do much damage. ANAmal's biggest blow came when his Deep Striking terminators mishap'd, allowing us to place them anywhere we wanted. So we dumped them back on the far table edge, basically making them irrelevant.

My Assault Squad replaced the fallen Devastators, capturing the Bastion objective while ANAmal's damaged Nephilim zoomed by and off the table, scoring 3 VPs for ANAmal.

Things get crazy in the middle of the board:

ANAmal rams his way past the defense line, forcing the Vindicator to back up in order to fire. When that fails, Thunder Hammer Wulfen charge in from the side in an attempt to take it out.

We finally took down the Knight when my dreadnought charged it and the two destroyed each other simultaneously, but ANAmal managed to get another squad off the board after destroying one of my squads holding the third objective marker. He scored 3 VPs for the squad, while denying us 3 of our own. Meanwhile, we attempted to destroy the remaining rhinos to slow down his advance. Shadow Daishi's flyers got involved as well. I have yet to see either one of those loving things get destroyed in a game.

At the end of turn 5 we had a tied game--ANAmal had 6 VPs for escaped units thanks to some lucky rolls, plus 2 for Linebreaker, 1 for First Blood, and 4 for units in our deployment zone. Meanwhile we had 6 for objectives and 7 for destroyed units. Had the game ended there, we'd have called it even. Unfortunately for ANAmal, the variable game length roll called for an extra turn, leaving ANAmal in a pretty untenable situation and forcing a Space Wolves + White Panthers victory.

All in all a fun game--It's an interesting mission to run with some cool dynamics and I had a great time.

Nice! This was a good game and I was pleasantly surprised that I can run 3000 painted points (well, the Knight isn't done, but close enough), albeit only if I throw in a bunch of my old Blood Ravens.

Other than constantly forgetting my own armies rules I think I did OK in this game. I really should have spent more time ramming those Land Raiders across the board, instead of trying to blast holes in your lines with them, just use them as AV14 battering rams instead of letting my poo poo clog up the middle of the table and losing dudes all over the place.

Also I think you guys would have won even on turn 5. I was thinking about it later, and my warlord was in that squad your guys power-fisted into chunks, so it would have been 14-13 with you getting Slay the Warlord?

That Knight fuckin put in work though, just blasting chunks of the board clear all over the place. If I'd known it was good at punching I would probably have done more of that.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?

Boon posted:

Sometimes I wish I'd given up and just started airbrushing. Its taken me 5 days to paint 3 jetbikes, have 4 more to go, and Im starting to hate them

I'm feeling my rear end pucker as I realize I still have 15 Space Marines to finish by Adepticon. I pawned off painting my display board to a buddy because I knew I wouldn't get it done in time. Hope he doesn't fail me.

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

Hey! Quick question, I was looking to get my Ravenwing back into the table. I haven't played for a while and I0m not very used to formations, but just to clarify: since bikes and such can't be troops anymore, a pure Ravenwing army (Ravenwing Strike Force) can't be used in games with objectives, right?

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Camoes posted:

Hey! Quick question, I was looking to get my Ravenwing back into the table. I haven't played for a while and I0m not very used to formations, but just to clarify: since bikes and such can't be troops anymore, a pure Ravenwing army (Ravenwing Strike Force) can't be used in games with objectives, right?

Everything scores in 7th Edition. The only caveat to this is units that have the Objective Secured special rule, which essentially supersedes normal scoring. If a regular scoring unit and an enemy Objective Secured unit are both at an objective, only the enemy secures the objective. If both units have ObSec then it is a draw.

The only way to guarantee access to Objective Secured is to use the standard Combined Arms detachment defined in the rulebook (essentially the standard FOC of olden days). All Troop units from a CAD gain Objective Secured and in addition the Warlord may choose to reroll their trait. Some units within codices get Objective Secured on their own, but CAD is the common way.

Many players don't field CADs, choosing instead to use a "Decurion-style" list such as the Space Marine Gladius Strike Force or other Formations. Those army types do not receive ObSec but instead get other (and arguably better) special rules instead. ObSec isn't absolutely necessary but it can be clutch in situations.

PierreTheMime fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Mar 14, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

PierreTheMime posted:

Everything scores in 7th Edition. The only caveat to this is units that have the Objective Secured special rule, which essentially supersedes normal scoring. If a regular scoring unit and an enemy Objective Secured unit are both at an objective, only the enemy secures the objective. If both units have ObSec then it is a draw.

The only way to guarantee access to Objective Secured is to use the standard Combined Arms detachment defined in the rulebook (essentially the standard FOC of olden days). All Troop units from a CAD gain Objective Secured and in addition the Warlord may choose to reroll their trait. Some units within codices get Objective Secured on their own, but CAD is the common way.

Many players don't field CADs, choosing instead to use a "Decurion-style" list such as the Space Marine Gladius Strike Force. Those army types do not receive ObSec but instead get other (and arguably better) special rules instead. ObSec isn't absolutely necessary but it can be clutch in situations.

Ok, that makes sense, thanks!

• Locked thread