Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006

Geriatric Pirate posted:

I don't really care if they have to fill out forms to get government money. They're getting money for doing a job that doesn't make economic sense to do. Most of us don't have that luxury. Most of us can't just fill out some forms and then get government money to do what we want to do, we actually have to work jobs that provide things that people want at economically competitive prices and wages. If anything, the government should make the paperwork as difficult as possible to discourage farmers and maybe save us some money.

:captainpop: User + post combo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
Instead of various complicated farming subsidies the state should instead buy out the farmers and establish Suomen Maanviljelys and pay a salary to the farm operators. Can't do that under EU of course, but hey another reason to worship at the cult of Väyrynen.

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

brakeless posted:

How big a part of maataloustuet are those grants where the state doles out hundreds of thousands of € per year to big agricultural operators? Because that at least is nothing but politically enabled wealth transfer to the big players in a certain industry. Like, presumably you need a big production capacity to get the big bucks, which is nonsensical. There's any number of better uses for public money.

Valio gets the biggest lump of maataloustuet but people like Nalle Walhroos and Antti Herlin still get six-figure sums because obviously they need it to run a farm in the middle of nowhere

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Jerry Cotton posted:

No, most of them also drink loads of alcohol, abuse their families, and bad-mouth city folk.

That's not because they're farmers though, they are just Finns (city Finns drink loads of alcohol, abuse their families and badmouth lande-folk)

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

brakeless posted:

How big a part of maataloustuet are those grants where the state doles out hundreds of thousands of € per year to big agricultural operators? Because that at least is nothing but politically enabled wealth transfer to the big players in a certain industry. Like, presumably you need a big production capacity to get the big bucks, which is nonsensical. There's any number of better uses for public money.

I feel like a lot of Finns still think their blue-white flag-marked food comes from a good old boy farmer waking up at 4 AM and lovingly being part of the process from beginning to until it goes to a store. It's honestly kind of adorable.

Fish of hemp
Apr 1, 2011

A friendly little mouse!

doverhog posted:

Instead of various complicated farming subsidies the state should instead buy out the farmers and establish Suomen Maanviljelys and pay a salary to the farm operators.

This is something I don't understand. If the huoltovarmuus is such a big deal for Finland and one of the main reasons for Finnish agriculture, then why don't state just directly hire farmers to farm all the stuff that is necessary? Would be lot simpler than this bureaucracy boondoggle we now have.

Rotacixe
Oct 21, 2008

Fish of hemp posted:

This is something I don't understand. If the huoltovarmuus is such a big deal for Finland and one of the main reasons for Finnish agriculture, then why don't state just directly hire farmers to farm all the stuff that is necessary? Would be lot simpler than this bureaucracy boondoggle we now have.

We could establish a paramilitary Farm Corps and provide a safe conduit for patriotic fervor.

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme

Fish of hemp posted:

No one wants the state to make the decisions on what to actually grow.

Bensa
Aug 21, 2007

Loyal 'til the end.

Geriatric Pirate posted:

And I've paid into the farmers' pension pool when I was getting a grant, somehow the pension payments I have to make to that pool are about double the normal tyoelake I paid when drawing the same income via a salary. Go figure (you can see some quality farmer-keskusta lobbying going on yet again when people on grants, aka young people with low mortality risk, are thrown into the farmer's pension pool, which even despite this crap needs more government support than any other pension system).

As far as I've understood, the justification for this is that the bulk sum nature of income for both grant receivers and farmers being similar. When I got my first grant during my bachelor's it was a bit weird to read about MELA with all the other papers.

Darkest Auer posted:

They do so indirectly, subsidies aren't equal for all products originating from farms. Its a huge mess with certain products having less demand and lower price, but the subsidy is higher for less work so it ends up being better money for the work put in.

brakeless
Apr 11, 2011

DarkCrawler posted:

I feel like a lot of Finns still think their blue-white flag-marked food comes from a good old boy farmer waking up at 4 AM and lovingly being part of the process from beginning to until it goes to a store. It's honestly kind of adorable.

True, I too have the feeling that agribusiness isn't really percieved as an industry. It's the good old farmer Miettinen keeping the countryside inhabited, which is important for some reason.

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks
Subsidies make sense in the way that every other country pays subsidies to farmers. So there is really no invisible hand of the market adjusting food prices.

Fushigi Yuugi fansub
Jan 20, 2007

BUTT STUFF
you have to be really loving short-sighted and frankly stupid to not support your food production :psyduck:

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Since when has that ever been something in short supply?

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme

Nauta posted:

you have to be really loving short-sighted and frankly stupid to not support your food production :psyduck:

In other words, a capitalist

Geriatric Pirate
Apr 25, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Fish of hemp posted:

Probably because most attempts at making farming state-run around the world have led to famine. Incentives matter.

Valiantman posted:

Granted, I don't know how much salary they pay for themselves but I can confirm that at least some do so. I know that because that's pretty much the first thing they cut since in a family business it's all their personal income in the end anyway. I could sort of see where you're coming from (not agree but understand) if you didn't call farmers entitled and say they only fill forms to get money. Their workload is insane compared to their standard of living, I can't even compare the bureucratic pressure to any other job I could come up with and their income depends really heavily on external factors that they cannot control in the slightest. I'm glad you at least put "corrupt" in the scare quotes even though I'm not sure what you implied.

Every farmer I know well enough to have talked about subsidies (a handful) would agree with you about doing away with them, by the way, if only it didn't mean bankruptcy and cessation of agricultural industry in Finland. They'd rather be paid for what they do instead of it being smaller portion than the subsidies. You're right it's not economically viable to farm here in this global situation where importing and exporting is so easy. Money just isn't the only value in the equation as far as I can see it. Since you're perfecly fine with stopping farming of plants and animals in Finland and only seem to consider the economic side of the matter (at least some part of it, I don't think stopping all farming would be beneficial to either the farmers or the state) I don't think we get anywhere discussing this further.
"Corrupt" is in scare quotes because it's not individual farmers who are corrupt or bad, it's just that as a group they benefit from having strong political patrons and a system that's rigged in their favor. I am sure you're correct in that many farmers work very hard, it's just that that's not a justification for the subsidies they receive. And Finland should have some sort of ability to become self-sufficient in terms of food, it's just that the current €3bn a year we spend on farm subsidies (not to mention all the other money that indirectly goes to support farmers, such as subsidies for low population density areas) could probably be cut back a lot further. But that's besides the point, you're correct that we probably just have a fundamental disagreement there.

Nauta posted:

Nope, all you need to be is not xenophobic and a taxpayer.

Bensa posted:

As far as I've understood, the justification for this is that the bulk sum nature of income for both grant receivers and farmers being similar. When I got my first grant during my bachelor's it was a bit weird to read about MELA with all the other papers.

They do so indirectly, subsidies aren't equal for all products originating from farms. Its a huge mess with certain products having less demand and lower price, but the subsidy is higher for less work so it ends up being better money for the work put in.

Interesting justification, but it still seems a bit dodgy.

Geriatric Pirate fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Mar 13, 2016

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme

Geriatric Pirate posted:

Look, I know you're really a caricature of an evil vuoristoneuvos, but can you really not tell the difference between food grown in Finland and mercury shipped in from China? Or is it just about money and nothing else?

Geriatric Pirate
Apr 25, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Darkest Auer posted:

Look, I know you're really a caricature of an evil vuoristoneuvos, but can you really not tell the difference between food grown in Finland and mercury shipped in from China? Or is it just about money and nothing else?

Whatever food you've been eating seems to have caused some sort of permanent brain damage - the Chinese food can't be any worse

Fushigi Yuugi fansub
Jan 20, 2007

BUTT STUFF

Geriatric Pirate posted:

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
i dont really get why people think that finnish food is somehow cleaner than eg. polish, italian or brazilian

Fushigi Yuugi fansub
Jan 20, 2007

BUTT STUFF
because finnish people adhere to rules and regulations like proper autists. it's more likely a finnish food producer didn't cut corners in the process, i guess

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Hogge Wild posted:

i dont really get why people think that finnish food is somehow cleaner than eg. polish, italian or brazilian

When a Finnish farmer poisons a bunch of Finnish children out of negligence, he risks being lynched.

When a Chinese farmer poisons a bunch of Finnish children out of negligence, he just has to vanish.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Hogge Wild posted:

There actually are differences. For example Finnish chicken farms don't use antibiotics preemptively, and the same is not true in the rest of Europe.

http://www.hs.fi/tiede/a1382678917956

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme

Geriatric Pirate posted:

Whatever food you've been eating seems to have caused some sort of permanent brain damage - the Chinese food can't be any worse

Joke's on you, I am eating Chinese food :smuggo:

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008

Darkest Auer posted:

Lanttu is perfectly nutritious and also patriotic

Kuule hain nussivan
Nov 27, 2008

So anything happen lately?

The yhteiskun...kilpakyk...the sopimus is still going nowhere because EK wants more, the liitot don't want to give any more, the government wants the fiasco to just be done, and everyone is happy to just wait until they can blame someone else for it failing.

Oh, and we're apparently stripping Posti of it's monopoly on letter deliveries. I think it's a relic, and have no opinion on this.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

I follow American politics to escape Finnish politics, I just want to be able to point and laugh with some degree of distance when the right-wing is loving a country over.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Well, Sipilä's Aktion T4 is progressing swimmingly.

throw to first DAMN IT
Apr 10, 2007
This whole thread has been raging at the people who don't want Saracen invasion to their homes

Perhaps you too should be more accepting of their cultures

Kuule hain nussivan posted:

So anything happen lately?

The yhteiskun...kilpakyk...the sopimus is still going nowhere because EK wants more, the liitot don't want to give any more, the government wants the fiasco to just be done, and everyone is happy to just wait until they can blame someone else for it failing.

Oh, and we're apparently stripping Posti of it's monopoly on letter deliveries. I think it's a relic, and have no opinion on this.

http://www.taloussanomat.fi/kansantalous/2016/03/16/suomen-talous-kasvoi-viime-vuonna-tuotanto-nousi-tammikuussa/20162958/12
The sopimus has been so good that it talous nousi before it was even on paper. Praise Sipilä.

Rappaport posted:

http://www.iltasanomat.fi/muutlajit/art-2000001139204.html

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme

Rappaport posted:

Hey, if that 75-year-old paraplegic wants a taxi ride to the shops, he'd better pull on those bootstraps and quit being a lazy moocher!

brakeless
Apr 11, 2011

Government finds the only group that has even less chance of protesting meaningfully than students.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

So, odins sonturit had their private FB page full of nazi poo poo invaded and publicized by the YLE red army. Nothing surprising about it, except maybe just how stupid they are thinking they could keep that poo poo on Facebook without it ever getting out.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
Nazis revealed to be Nazis. Shocking.

Kuule hain nussivan
Nov 27, 2008

Rexroom posted:

No, it was inside joke in a private group. God, you suvakkis just love calling everybody with a sense of humour a nazi.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Geriatric Pirate posted:

Maybe we could start some sort of agency dedicated to ensuring that the food and consumer products we eat and use are safe (radical idea, I know). We could call it something like Elintarvikkeiden turvallisuusvirasto, or Elintarviketurvallisuusvirasto, and shorten it to something like Evira. If we're going to be paying farmers to produce clean and safe food instead of just regulating it, why don't we pay the poor, low cost producers abroad instead of our fairly rich domestic farmers to try to produce food in a climate that is terrible for growing food?

Words like these are why we poke fun at the Finnish language. :-)

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme

Zudgemud posted:

Compound words are the best though

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Zudgemud posted:

Why yes, my friend was a lentokonesuihkuturbiinimoottoriapumekaanikkoaliupseerioppilas, why do you ask

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Rexroom posted:

Ligur ligurally said there are no actual Nazis in Finland so it is shocking.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Zudgemud posted:

We? Illuminati confirmed.

Also I don't really see elintarviketurvallisuusvirasto as being any funnier than victual safety bureau. Saving white space is like putting money in the bank.

Buffalo squeeze
Dec 19, 2010

Oh noble brogy. Overflowing with meaty wisdom and secret sauce.

Jerry Cotton posted:

Saving white space is like putting money in the bank.

Get out SOO scum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Buffalo squeeze posted:

Get out SOO scum.

I got negative interest. QED.