Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The comic miniseries it's based on is also godawful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.
also everybody looks completely hosed, anime filler is more on model lol

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

lmao the flashpoint paradox is edgy as poo poo, gg DC

That whole thing was just bananas and weird and was kinda funny that the flash was gay for no reason.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from

DeathSandwich posted:

I fell like the movie works better on it's own divorced from the events of CTHD. Go into it pretending like it's not a sequel and you could get some enjoyment out of it.

That's my opinion of the movie. As a wuxia film it's perfectly enjoyable, but as a sequel to CTHD it's terrible.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

The comic miniseries it's based on is also godawful.

Did the comic have all the gruesome dismemberment and murder on top of the gleefully sadistic life lesson of "your dead mom is the linchpin of the universe and you're bad and dumb for trying to save her"? God, what utter trash.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Does the Netflix rating system have any use? Because I can avoid Asylum movies and find good movies already and right now all it does is remind me a bunch of people gave the new Guy Maddin film one star for god knows what reason

Turambar
Feb 20, 2001

A Túrin Turambar turun ambartanen
Grimey Drawer
The rating system is actually Netflix's prediction of YOUR rating, not of the average user. It seems to be doing a pretty good job for me. Have you rated a lot of movies?
If the Guy Maddin rating is wrong for you, give it a different one

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

And how do we do that? We hurt a lot of people...

Turambar posted:

The rating system is actually Netflix's prediction of YOUR rating, not of the average user. It seems to be doing a pretty good job for me. Have you rated a lot of movies?

Wait, what? If it knows I'm gonna rate Adam Sandler movies as 1 star, WHY IS IT PUTTING THEM IN MY RECOMMENDED QUEUE?

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Vodos posted:

Wait, what? If it knows I'm gonna rate Adam Sandler movies as 1 star, WHY IS IT PUTTING THEM IN MY RECOMMENDED QUEUE?

Because they still have to advertise the poo poo they pay for.

But yeah, that's how Netflix stars work.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Turambar posted:

Barely any

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

So is the second season of Better Call Saul on Demand? Its not on Hulu, and I have AMC and wanted to catch up on the current season. If it helps, I have TWC.

Mister Nobody
Feb 17, 2011

McSpanky posted:

Did the comic have all the gruesome dismemberment and murder on top of the gleefully sadistic life lesson of "your dead mom is the linchpin of the universe and you're bad and dumb for trying to save her"? God, what utter trash.

If anything the comic had more, really was the single worst way to send off the old universe and introduce the new one.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.

Shageletic posted:

So is the second season of Better Call Saul on Demand? Its not on Hulu, and I have AMC and wanted to catch up on the current season. If it helps, I have TWC.

Season 2 is currently airing and it's 4 episodes in, so yes, it should probably be on demand.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

McSpanky posted:

You better believe it, and more.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

You better believe it, and more.

Comics seem so weird to me. That movie and the other Justice League one that just went up are so preposterous, like a parody of 80s grit, which was also kind of goofy.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I wish there was a way for Netflix to show you the movies it thinks you would rank highly. I've found the star estimate is usually very good. It's unfortunate that the movie recommendations have absolutely nothing to do with them.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

david_a posted:

I wish there was a way for Netflix to show you the movies it thinks you would rank highly. I've found the star estimate is usually very good. It's unfortunate that the movie recommendations have absolutely nothing to do with them.

I dunno, most of the "Top Picks for [Me]" are pretty high rated. There's also a lot of stuff I haven't watched though.

Turambar
Feb 20, 2001

A Túrin Turambar turun ambartanen
Grimey Drawer

david_a posted:

You could try this link in a browser:
https://www.netflix.com/browse/subtitles/en?so=rt

No idea why they hide it so well.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Jack Gladney posted:

Comics seem so weird to me. That movie and the other Justice League one that just went up are so preposterous, like a parody of 80s grit, which was also kind of goofy.

There's still something of a vogue for post-Watchmen "mature" themes in superhero comics, or I guess by now you could say it's one of the fundamental motifs.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Turambar posted:

You could try this link in a browser:
https://www.netflix.com/browse/subtitles/en?so=rt

No idea why they hide it so well.

Hiding stuff seems to be Netflix's favorite pastime. Thanks for the link.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Jack Gladney posted:

It's a medium that wants to be mature but not actually be mature in a way that might alienate the worst geeks who will buy every issue without regard for quality.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe
I liked Tangerine. I didn't know what the tone was going to be based on the synopsis, but it was really fun.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

There's still something of a vogue for post-Watchmen "mature" themes in superhero comics, or I guess by now you could say it's one of the fundamental motifs.

A generation of nerds has defined "mature" as the kind of thing kept in the back room of the 80s comic store with a sheet pinned up in front of the door, under the sign reading "mature." It's a wonder comics haven't figured into that gamergate culture war nonsense, unless those kinds of people still make all the comics.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
There's been a bit of that, for sure.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Jack Gladney posted:

It's a wonder comics haven't figured into that gamergate culture war nonsense,

*gif of Pinhead saying "WE HAVE SUCH SIGHTS TO SHOW YOU"*

:unsmigghh:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'm tired of gritty comic book poo poo. Actually I'm really tired of comic book shows and movies and general.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Jack Gladney posted:

This is why "grimdark" has become such a common meme in criticism of comic book movies. Obviously Man of Steel is nowhere near as absurdly grotesque as Infinite Crisis (and I doubt even the R rated cut of BvS will be) but we've all got PTSD from years of "but if the super villains don't massacre thousands of innocent people then where is the drama?"

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I thought Grant Morrison and Neil Gaiman fixed all that in like 1996. Man of Steel was loving preposterous for that same reason--you are absolutely right. Who wants a Superman movie to be so brutal and dreary? Richard Donner said all there was to say about Superman in 1 and 1/2 movies.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Of course now the backlash is absurd as well. People complaining about the Flash being "dreary" when it has about as much drama as any other TV show on the air.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Jack Gladney posted:

I thought Grant Morrison and Neil Gaiman fixed all that in like 1996. Man of Steel was loving preposterous for that same reason--you are absolutely right. Who wants a Superman movie to be so brutal and dreary? Richard Donner said all there was to say about Superman in 1 and 1/2 movies.

1996 was near the end of the 1990s "Captain Bloodstorm and his Xtreme Edgy Commandos with Impossible Musculature" boom, but starting around 2004 the big two embarked on more of a sad existentialist streak. DC had Identity Crisis where Sue Dibny (sort of a Nora Charles figure with her husband Ralph) was murdered and revealed retroactively to have been raped by a villain who looks like the Monarch but the writer wanted him to be a credible threat again, and the heroes floundered around like idiots until the real killer accidentally confessed. Marvel had an event where the Scarlet Witch went crazy and killed people in order to break up the Avengers, DC upped the ante with Infinite Crisis with lots of gory deaths and undoing the one really hopeful bit of Crisis on Infinite Earths, and also killing a bunch of B and C list heroes to make sure we knew the stakes were high as gently caress. There was this whole pattern of heroes always showing up too late so the villains still killed a bunch of people and the heroes would beat them up for halfhearted and unsatisfying Justice.

Whatever poo poo I may talk on MoS it is nowhere near as stupidly bleak as that poo poo. Like if you shot Infinte Crisis as a live action film, faithful to the comic, you'd be looking at Saving Private Ryan levels of gore.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
But remember: Spider-Man being married with a child is just way too old and boring for the youthful kids of today. He better make a deal with the devil to abort that child and divorce his wife

BOGO LOAD
Jul 1, 2004

"You know I always had trouble really chewing the fat with my pops. Just listen to him..."
Faustian Neighborhood Spider-Man

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Shageletic posted:

It's on Netflix in non-US markets. The episodes go up a day after they air.

The Vosgian Beast posted:

But remember: Spider-Man being married with a child is just way too old and boring for the youthful kids of today. He better make a deal with the devil to abort that child and divorce his wife

People in BSS keep going "UGH can we stop bringing that up in this Spider-man discussion" like it's something that it's possible to ever walk back.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

People in BSS keep going "UGH can we stop bringing that up in this Spider-man discussion" like it's something that it's possible to ever walk back.

And to feel really old, you can go back to the Spider-Clone poo poo from the 90s where Marvel couldn't make up its mind whether to replace Peter Parker or not and/or reveal that the last 5-10 years of Spiderman stories were with a Peter doppleganger or not.

It's been a real mess for close to 30 years.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I just saw a great documentary, recently added.

The Man Whose Mind Exploded is awesome. You might think you're a unique little snowflake, but wait til you see this movie.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
I'm watching Cooked. It's 4 ~hour long episodes about the history of food and cooking. It's pretty neat so far.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

computer parts posted:

I'm watching Cooked. It's 4 ~hour long episodes about the history of food and cooking. It's pretty neat so far.

I've only watched the first two and while I greatly enjoyed the first, the second felt way too preachy. It's actually put me off the last two for a bit.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Which was the second one? Water?

I thought they were all good.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Air was quite good but I agree that water was just proselytizing about the "apparent" virtue of cooking for two hours a day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Water had the issue where they clearly ran out of material. I personally think they could've done more with the concept (afaik they didn't even mention crockpots or slow cookers) but the overarching theme in the series is kind of that modern society is moving too fast, and that would weaken that argument.

Also, Air gets points for criticizing fad diets (although it then goes "natural produced bread doesn't provoke gluten sensitivity!" :downs: ) .