Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
style / art gimmick combo you want to see next
This poll is closed.
Commodore 64 hi fi 16 colors Drawing goons drooling over anime (or muscle men) 35 20.71%
Everything in MSPaint Black and White and Undertale Characters 22 13.02%
CGA in CYMK tones and rising stars of gaming like Hololens and Star Citizen 36 21.30%
Only Purple and Waluigi and Kirby ship fiction 76 44.97%
Total: 169 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

does anyone actually pay attention to the story in a hitman game

i dont think ive seen the cutscenes in blood money even once

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
But you see, and hear me out before you decide this idea's too revolutionary, what if you could talk to the monsters?

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Ravane posted:

If they go around pillaging villages and killing civilians, then yes, it is amoralistic. Or just watch American Sniper if you want to see the most amoralistic rear end in a top hat kill. Or read his book, dude sat on a roof and killed hurricane katrina looters. That's not amoralistic, right? Also, any soldier doing this job for the money must be super poor, I get they have to eat. But killing people except in self-defense is always amoralistic.

And Hitman murders unsuspecting people. For a huge amount of cash. I don't know how these two sentences could make you think he's just being a capitalist and not amoralistic, but you'd probably support Nestle purchasing millions of gallons of water from African warlords and preventing the villagers who normally use that water source from drinking it. Guess that's just capitalism, no hard feelings african villagers.

Or you know, that drug company that produced a drug to control nausea and sold it only for women to have babies with horrible birth defects. And they said, oh no, we have all these pills, still. How about we sell them in brazil and other third world countries? That's just capitalism? Deformed babies thank you. :saddowns:

this post is correct despite the poster being an idiot piece of poo poo.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
The closest thing to a morally ambiguous target is probably Hank Muldoon and Pappy LeBlanc in Till Death Do Us Part, not so much because of the innocence of the targets but because you know that you were hired by Margeaux LeBlanc to kill them for their inheritance and you can even read about her living it large in Las Vegas in later newspapers.

StashAugustine posted:

A lot of people seemed to take offense at Absolution's story but the first game ended with you using a minigun to mow down dozens of your own clones in a secret underground cloning lab so it's not like anything in that game was ruining the grounded realism of the series.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

A used copy of Bravely Default is $50 now lmao. Collectors edition copies are going for $210-$250.

Glad I got a pre order of the CE for Second as soon as it went up. I'm not planning on flipping it or anything. I actually regret never getting the first games CE.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I think the issue people had with Absolution's story wasn't that it was merely bad but that it forced you to pay attention to it. Like Blood Money I skipped every cutscene and it didn't matter one bit cause the missions are just a bunch of hits strung haphazardly together. Absolution tried to be 'cinematic' and was really bad at it.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

StashAugustine posted:

This why people thought the story in the new movie was bonkers, because they never paid attention to the stories in the games.

Absolution trying to be cinematic is why I quit playing it though. I just wanted to solve Hitman's brand of puzzles and instead I kept having to go through scripted sequences. I'll probably give it another go at some point though.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Look man cutting down your own clones with a minigun is sick and I would never want that game to end any other way.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Man, Absolution is the only time I've seen a curated/controlled game demo at an event. It looked and sounded incredible. A tonne better than stuff released today.

Years later I now realise that the guy playing definitely wasn't playing it and that it almost certainly was not the actual game being played.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Stux posted:

You really hurt me with your words. :(

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

stop being awful/posting then

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Stux posted:

stop being awful/posting then

"Oho!" said the pot to the kettle;
"You are dirty and ugly and black!
Sure no one would think you were metal,
Except when you're given a crack."

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Stux is cool and my friend.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Stux posted:

It might be but I didn't read it because he doesn't play games and is really stupid so his opinion is literally worthless

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Dr Cheeto posted:

"Oho!" said the pot to the kettle;
"You are dirty and ugly and black!
Sure no one would think you were metal,
Except when you're given a crack."

a pot calling a kettle black doesn't make the pot wrong

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Wow yeah I sure love coming to the videogames chat thread to see everybody talking about which posters they hate. It's extremely fun and not stupid at all!

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Lady Naga posted:

Stux is cool and my friend.

i am honored, u are also my friend :)

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

Mordja posted:

Wow yeah I sure love coming to the videogames chat thread to see everybody talking about which posters they hate. It's extremely fun and not stupid at all!

I don't have an opinion on you.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Mordja posted:

same

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

Mordja posted:

Wow yeah I sure love coming to the videogames chat thread

also this was your first mistake

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Mordja posted:

then talk about something else before i rolleyes allears at you

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Deus Ex was a good game

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Looper posted:

then talk about something else before i rolleyes allears at you

OK. I'm playing through Doom for the first time. I'd recommend it. There's my hot take on games from 1993.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

Mordja posted:

OK. I'm playing through Doom for the first time. I'd recommend it. There's my hot take on games from 1993.

DOOM 2 is even better but definitely play through every episode of DOOM first.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Dr Cheeto posted:

Deus Ex was a good game

Your first time playing, did you save Paul or run away?

I ran away and he died. :(

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Steve2911 posted:

Man, Absolution is the only time I've seen a curated/controlled game demo at an event. It looked and sounded incredible. A tonne better than stuff released today.

Years later I now realise that the guy playing definitely wasn't playing it and that it almost certainly was not the actual game being played.

they kept demoing the assassination missions, which makes sense because they are fun but then you realize there's like four in the entire game nd somehow that didnt come up in any promo work

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

I have never played DOOM and I suspect that might make me some kind of weirdo. I would like to play DOOM one day though

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Ravane posted:

I ran, I honestly didn't know any better and just followed his advice.

I was also pretty bad at games back in the day. I'm a bit better at clicking heads now so maybe I'll successfully take down Hermann at the subway.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Stardew Valley is my favourite game of 2016 so far.

Mechanically, it plays like the best Harvest Moon I've ever experienced. But what makes it great is the characterization and the details. Details like frogs leaping out of bushes, butterflies flying out of a tree you're chopping, rare woodpeckers, and I think I witnessed a fishman swimming around the ocean for about a second.

The characters are charming. Once you earn enough favour with one, you can take a gander at their room, and find out things like: what station their radio is tuned to, letters to or from loved ones, their hobbies, what they eat. Some days a group of friends visit a house to exercise. The fashion-conscious girl spends her Mondays taking snapshots of the wilds to the west of town. The carpenter and her scientist husband go dancing at the saloon on Fridays. Shane the curmudgeon goes to work at the soulless Wal-Mart equivalent every morning and drinks a beer alone when his shift is over.

It's so good!

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Color Printer posted:

I have never played DOOM and I suspect that might make me some kind of weirdo. I would like to play DOOM one day though

i haven't either, it's one of my gamer shames. i only started playing any pc games at all very recently

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

dont bother with doom just skip straight t o quake 2

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Ravane posted:

I spent time helping him kill all the dudes out for his life, but left through the loving window so he died anyway.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
I love how if you don't run away Paul effortlessly slaughters all the MJ12 goons by himself.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Stux posted:

dont bother with doom just skip straight t o quake 2

quake 2 singleplayer isn't as fun as quake 1 or doom

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

The Colonel posted:

quake 2 singleplayer isn't as fun as quake 1 or doom

no it isnt AS fun, its more fun. lol. but seriously its the best

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

bloodychill posted:

Kirbey Pinball was the best Kirbey spinoff game and it is a shame there is no 3DS update.

At least Kirby Mass Attack had Brawlball.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Dr Cheeto posted:

I ran, I honestly didn't know any better and just followed his advice.

I was also pretty bad at games back in the day. I'm a bit better at clicking heads now so maybe I'll successfully take down Hermann at the subway.

Yeah, I played through deus ex the first time with God mode on any time things got difficult. So like all the time. Taking down Hermann was way too tough, I didn't have god mode on, and I was taken down so fast I ended up in the MJ12 prison immediately.

Ometeotl posted:

I spent time helping him kill all the dudes out for his life, but left through the loving window so he died anyway.

I did this my second time. I hid in my closet and Paul killed all the dudes and sat back down, and I thought I saved him, but I guess not. I was disappointed to see him dead when I got to the clinic.

codenameFANGIO posted:

It might be but I didn't read it because he doesn't play games and is really stupid so his opinion is literally worthless

For you, friend:

I played a game.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Ravane posted:

Yeah, I played through deus ex the first time with God mode on any time things got difficult. So like all the time. Taking down Hermann was way too tough, I didn't have god mode on, and I was taken down so fast I ended up in the MJ12 prison immediately.

it's a good thing you didn't have god mode on, because then you would have never progressed

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

The Colonel posted:

it's a good thing you didn't have god mode on, because then you would have never progressed

Yeah, then I found their kill codes, which made it way easier to defeat them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Personally I've been playing Shadow Tower and am in the process of doing battle with these worrisomely underweight bearded men with two heads. You'd think with two mouths they could eat a little better.

Maybe they're one of those people where everything just goes straight to their thighs.

• Locked thread