Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

I have a stabber enchanter going, and found a +6 quickblade. I have a +4 rapier of electrocution.

a) keep using the rapier
b) start using the quickblade
c) use quickblade only for stabbing unaware enemies, otherwise rapier

I'm assuming c, but what do you think?

Also is there anything to save me against Airstrike as a low-AC character? MR?

EDIT: Might wearing Faerie dragon armour (rElec rC+ Str+2) be a good idea? It didn't seem to hamper my spell success % too badly but there might be other factors I'm forgetting to take into account.

Hempuli fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Mar 13, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Hempuli posted:

I have a stabber going, and found a +5 quickblade. I have a +4 rapier of electrocution.

a) keep using the rapier

Use the quick blade and brand it when you can. And what are you fighting that airstrike is a big problem? Are you flying?

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

BigFactory posted:

Use the quick blade and brand it when you can. And what are you fighting that airstrike is a big problem? Are you flying?

I'm probably misremembering the spell; it's the one that says "air twists around you and strikes you!" Ran into a pack of spriggans in U:1 and a spriggan enchanter nearly killed me with that, takes about 1/3 of my health off.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Hempuli posted:

I have a stabber going, and found a +5 quickblade. I have a +4 rapier of electrocution.

a) keep using the rapier

MR only affects a subset of things, almost entirely things involving nasty effects like slow, paralysis and confuse. It offers no protection against direct damage attacks like airstrike. You can make sure you're not being double-hosed by not flying, since airstrike will deal double damage if you are. Otherwise the only solutions are AC and to minimize the amount of turns an airstriker can attack you by manipulating LoS then killing it as fast as possible.

I think the rapier will be better most of the time if you're at 14 short blades. But the quickblade will be better against things with low AC and rElec, like airstrike motherfuckers-in-chief, spriggan air mages.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Hempuli posted:

I'm probably misremembering the spell; it's the one that says "air twists around you and strikes you!" Ran into a pack of spriggans in U:1 and a spriggan enchanter nearly killed me with that, takes about 1/3 of my health off.

They're one of the only monsters that use the spell. It does extra damage to flying things, so if you're flying, stop. But otherwise it doesn't do crazy damage. Or shouldn't at least.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Train fighting to 10 if you haven't

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

BigFactory posted:

They're one of the only monsters that use the spell. It does extra damage to flying things, so if you're flying, stop. But otherwise it doesn't do crazy damage. Or shouldn't at least.

Gastronok is the biggest airstrike bastard, I loving hate him.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Hempuli posted:

I have a stabber enchanter going, and found a +6 quickblade. I have a +4 rapier of electrocution.

a) keep using the rapier

EDIT: Might wearing Faerie dragon armour (rElec rC+ Str+2) be a good idea? It didn't seem to hamper my spell success % too badly but there might be other factors I'm forgetting to take into account.

The rapier is better for stabbing sleeping enemies since it has higher damage-per-hit than the quickblade and you only get one shot anyways. But the qblade will be better against things that are blinded or confused etc.

The only solutions to airstrike are getting more AC or somehow stopping the caster from using it (confusion, curare, silence, breaking LOS, or just killing him).

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Nah you have that wrong, daggers and quick blades get a huge extra boost on top of the short blade bonus.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

resistentialism posted:

Nah you have that wrong, daggers and quick blades get a huge extra boost on top of the short blade bonus.
Daggers get double "bonus" damage up to the cap, I don't believe qblades get anything above the s.blade bonus but can't currently dive to check

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Eh knowledge bots don't mention anything either, maybe I'm wrong.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
As someone who plays almost solely Tengus I have grown to hate airstrike greatly.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I believe Titans can airstrike too. Lom Lobon maybe?

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
Gastronok is basically a very slow, very dapper titan.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

Scaramouche posted:

I believe Titans can airstrike too. Lom Lobon maybe?
Player ghosts, Blizzard Demons, Sojobo, Gastronok, Titans, spriggan air mages, wind drakes, and the boss from one of the WizLabs are the only enemies in game that can do Airstrike I think. Maybe pan lords too. Not sure.

I don't think Lom can.

Hate Airstrike and having to give up my movement speed and extra EV.

World Famous W fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Mar 13, 2016

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

neongrey posted:

Gastronok is basically a very slow, very dapper titan.

Not to mention that polymorph often turns him into a titan!

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Can Of Worms posted:

some new large abomination tiles, soon to come to a trunk build near you????

wow, these are good. was going to say pretty, but,

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Tollymain posted:

wow, these are good. was going to say pretty, but,

row 2 column 3 is absolutely the prettiest abomination at the ball, and I'm very disappointed in you for implying otherwise. NO abominationshaming!!!

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

PleasingFungus posted:

row 2 column 3 is absolutely the prettiest abomination at the ball, and I'm very disappointed in you for implying otherwise. NO abominationshaming!!!

No love for the sequins on R2/C4?

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Thanks for the help with the rapier/quickblade issue. Ended up splatting the character in U:2 by getting too invested in defeating a gold dragon and not remembering the stone giant with large rocks behind it. :(

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

quote:

The phantom falters for a moment.

VS truly the best race

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

Floodkiller posted:

Not to mention that polymorph often turns him into a titan!

That's what you get for polymorphing an elephant slug in the first place.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Gastronok's scarier when you poly him into a juggernaut(he still keeps airstrike)

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Any advice on running a Kiku Deep Elf (other than "don't run a Kiku Deef Elf")? Everywhere I look people are recommending a Necromancer be run as a melee guy, but DE is obviously deficient in that area (or is it?). I guess, how do the good players run a casting centric Ne? By the way, I'm starting as a DEWz each time but picking Kiku and building off his book gifts.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
I think you missed the point conflating necromancer and kiku. The necromancer class is specifically discouraged from kiku because of redundancy and melee is a common means of getting damage the undead and minor demons can't just shrug off. On the other hand, if you want to go kiku, the easiest way to spread out your damage is picking a different class (in your case, a caster).

Pretty much every caster I build ends up in melee, but that's my style rather than something of substance. There are a lot of good spells such as simulacra, haunt, etc that I'll leave to the better qualified.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Orb spider blew itself and a demonic crawler up on the same turn.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Unimpressed posted:

Any advice on running a Kiku Deep Elf (other than "don't run a Kiku Deef Elf")? Everywhere I look people are recommending a Necromancer be run as a melee guy, but DE is obviously deficient in that area (or is it?). I guess, how do the good players run a casting centric Ne? By the way, I'm starting as a DEWz each time but picking Kiku and building off his book gifts.

Everyone can (and usually should) melee. DE are fragile, so it's nice to have options to let you kill nasty things at range, especially early on. But there's a long distance between that and "never press tab for any reason." Having a passable melee attack lets you chop up wimps and have full MP when something actually dangerous appears.

As a DEWz*K, you've got magic dart to get you through the first floor or two, but definitely grab Conjure Flame and Meph Cloud. Meph doesn't affect the undead so you can toss it in the middle of a big fight and let your zombies murder everyone. Once Kiku starts giving you books, look out for Regen, Bolt of Draining, and especially Agony. Higher-level stuff is nice but Agony will utterly ruin anything living that you run across. I've used it effectively on Golden Dragons.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Agony is a fine choice against meaty natural beasts because they tend to have low MR, even those with higher HD. I wouldn't be trying it against intelligent humans that generate within Vaults or against the nastier elves in Elf; they're better candidates for elemental spells since they don't intrinsically have resistances.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Thanks for the replies! I am actually not using the necro start with Kiku, but rather the Wz start and picking Kiku when I find him. I'm okay at getting through the early game (I probably make it to Lair 25% of the time), but once there I'm finding it hard to advance, it just feels much weaker than a Wz->Vehumet or a straight up Cj or FE build.

So, my take on the advice above is 1. don't be afraid of melee, presumably for DE that is short blades and leather/troll armour?, 2. get some important necro spells(regen,agony, etc), but also straight up conj/elemental ones.

So, from the omission of summoner recommendations, am I correct in gathering that going the request corpses/animate dead route is not a good option? (it certainly hasn't worked well for me so far).

Also, does anyone have a DENe or effectively a DE necro win I could look at to learn from? looking at the last tournament combo scores, the best I could find for a DENe was an XL 17 death in Elf, which is admittedly much further than I've ever come...

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

When you're trying the animate dead route, did you know you can restrict travel speed to your slowest ally? I forget the exact command but it might help.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

LordSloth posted:

When you're trying the animate dead route, did you know you can restrict travel speed to your slowest ally? I forget the exact command but it might help.

Ooh, no I didn't know that! I'll look it up, that should be an interesting change.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Unimpressed posted:

Enchanter!

DE apts are incredibly good for an enchanter of Kiku. DE health is less of an issue when you only fight enemies who are sleeping or confused. Necromancy is hard to use as a primary damage source (especially since the undead summon nerf and even more so if you don't get draining bolt) so you want something that can carry you for the necromancy to support, enchanter fits that a lot better than wiz. Kiku is a lot better if you are getting a pain brand from him and quick blades are a great brand target. Everything lines up really nicely as a DEEn of Kiku.

Kiku is a 'caster God' but I find he's pretty hard to take advantage of in that regard. No spell boosts and only sublimate for mana, and if you don't get draining bolt you're gonna be sad. Instead of trying to be a pure caster Kiku is much better suited to helping hybrids, especially with the pain gift aka his best point.
If you really want a pure caster of Kiku I like VSFE. Vinestalkers high regeneration helps offset sublimation costs, they have an inbuilt reason to smack things when out of mana so you can get use out of the pain brand, and the fire book can carry you to two runes by itself so the loss of Vehumets gifts doesn't sting as much.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Best Kiku worshipper is a Troll who doesn't actually cast spells whatsoever and just uses Kiku as a divine buffet.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Uhm. Maybe in certain places like Spider or Abyss but Trolls tend to generate enough corpses and can eat rations normally enough to not need to disturb Kiku for some graveyard corpsicle snacks. I think I'm missing something here. :confused:

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Unimpressed posted:

So, from the omission of summoner recommendations, am I correct in gathering that going the request corpses/animate dead route is not a good option? (it certainly hasn't worked well for me so far).

It's a fantastic option but if you don't start Ne there's no guarantee Kiku gives you any sensible animation, so...

When you do get Animate Dead you can use it to bury your foes, throw some Mephitic clouds in there and your zombies will ignore it. Melee alongside when you can to have the full offensive power of your zombies rather than losing them.

Death Channel at the start of fights if you get that, you should be able to keep some of the spectrals to your next fight.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Sage Grimm posted:

Uhm. Maybe in certain places like Spider or Abyss but Trolls tend to generate enough corpses and can eat rations normally enough to not need to disturb Kiku for some graveyard corpsicle snacks. I think I'm missing something here. :confused:

For a three rune game (and my only Kiku win, and as a troll), you're correct. I kind of just hate most of the Necromancy spells aside from the stuff in the Necronomicon, and I can usually end up finding it or the spell I want from it in another book by the time I would want to try getting it castable. I guess invoking torment can be useful as well, but I find other gods way more useful to my play style.

For a fifteen rune game, trolls will find enough XP to actually cast some spells, benefit immensely from the torment resistance, and also have the benefit of food on demand if bad luck means food and edible corpses turn up short.

(Maybe I'm just biased against Kiku because I'm still upset about losing a Hill Orc of Kiku with a pain battleaxe to the worst Zot:5 tele roulette I've ever experienced).

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Going for the orb of zot, on what is hopefully my first ever streak.
https://crawl.s-z.org/#watch-LordSloth

Escaped, but almost pulled off an amazing splat versus an orb of fire!
http://dobrazupa.org/morgue/LordSloth/morgue-LordSloth-20160315-035930.txt

the +11 demon whip of LordSloth's Purpose (weapon) {elec, rN+}
the +5 demon whip "Spellbinder" {antimagic, MR+}
the +7 great mace "Undeadhunter" {disrupt, rN+}
the +10 dark maul {crush}

...and thirteen slaying.

Most impressive moment was hitting an orb of fire for zero damage with the dark maul.

LordSloth fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Mar 15, 2016

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Reminder to myself - don't try to stab gastronok if you can't kill it in one hit.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat
Oh here's a question. Anyone know how bad Hepliaklqana's wrath is? I've got a MiFi that I might consider going to extended with. However, I'd like to convert to TSO, and I have never experienced Hepliaklqana's wrath.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Matlock Birthmark posted:

Oh here's a question. Anyone know how bad Hepliaklqana's wrath is? I've got a MiFi that I might consider going to extended with. However, I'd like to convert to TSO, and I have never experienced Hepliaklqana's wrath.

Do it with hep to experience her in extended, which I'm sure very few people can say they've done.

• Locked thread