Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I'm not really bothered by the fact that Batman's female associates were kidnapped, though I will say that having three of the four most prolific female characters in the game kidnapped about two hours or so into the game is eyebrow raising.

That being said, I'm annoyed by the fact that Oracle's kidnapping and flashback to her being paralyzed by Joker just paints her as a helpless person more than anything. I mean, thus far Oracle hasn't accomplished much of anything in the game that would make me consider her vital to Batman's network of allies. Even when analyzing Scarecrow's toxin, she needed Batman to tell her what to do. So... why is she even here? That's what I take offense with more than her being a damsel in distress. Her role in the game so far seems completely meaningless aside from forcing conflict between Batman and Gordon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I'm not really bothered by the fact that Batman's female associates were kidnapped, though I will say that having three of the four most prolific female characters in the game kidnapped about two hours or so into the game is eyebrow raising.

That being said, I'm annoyed by the fact that Oracle's kidnapping and flashback to her being paralyzed by Joker just paints her as a helpless person more than anything. I mean, thus far Oracle hasn't accomplished much of anything in the game that would make me consider her vital to Batman's network of allies. Even when analyzing Scarecrow's toxin, she needed Batman to tell her what to do. So... why is she even here? That's what I take offense with more than her being a damsel in distress. Her role in the game so far seems completely meaningless aside from forcing conflict between Batman and Gordon.
I'm pretty sure Oracle would be doing most of the stuff Alfred is doing in these side missions, what with researching things for you, but you can do them any time during the story so even when she isn't kidnapped Alfred has to do it

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Tiggum posted:

I wondered this about the hallucinations in the previous games as well, but what's actually going on when Batman thinks he's fighting the mad hatter's goons? Is he wandering around the police station beating the poo poo out of random cops?

He was just completely trashing the room.

Tiggum posted:

Also, why did his x-ray vision show a skeleton in that third car when there wasn't anyone there?

By the time Batman gets to the third car, he's actually already pretty heavily hypnotized. The sirens(and maybe lights) of each car are hypnotic devices set up by Hatter-you can actually go back and see Batman beginning to react to the second one.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.

SonicRulez posted:

I am glad this exists, because it exposed an important problem in comic books. However, I hate that it grew as much as it did. Now if anything negative happens to a woman in a comic book, any discussion is immediately on a timer to how long it takes for someone to bring up a fridge.

This.....just this.

mauman fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Mar 13, 2016

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged
One bit that was kind of missed with the firefighter rescue is the wall behind those guys is breakable and the one gunman is standing right next to it, doing a Fear takedown and going Kool-Aid man through that wall to knock half the group unconscious was pretty fun, though as can be seen not required.

As for Catwoman and Barbara Gordon, I will grant there are at least non-sexist reasons to target them. Barbara has a fixed location she can be logically found at since she needs a computer for best results while Robin and Nightwing are a bit less locatable. Alfred has a similar always in one place aspect, but I could see not wanting to do it again right after doing it in Origins. Later events also kind of justify grabbing the one member of Team Batman who is a hacker when you've got an army of drones, imagine what she could have pulled off with the whole night to work with. It also gives an angle to work on Gordon's fears as well as Batman, which Scarecrow probably loved.

Catwoman being grabbed fits at least the story purpose of "why is the thief with selfish tendencies even bothering to hang around doing hero things" considering otherwise she's probably not crazy enough to stay in a city due to be fear-bombed. Riddler also had at least some fixation on her demonstrated by making all those trophies for her in Arkham City. Finally, there's an extremely good reason why Riddler could get to her (minor spoiler since you can ask her about it right when you meet her): he just grabbed her under the pretense of hiring her, which obviously wouldn't work for any of the other Bat Family really.

Anyway, not saying it isn't a little problematic to do this sort of thing to the female characters, just that there are enough sound reasons outside their gender for them being targeted that I was willing to give the game a pass on it. I think it would have worked better with Robin given how well they played that later, and really Arkham Knight has SO many interesting logical interactions with the "replacement" that it's a shame they didn't run with that, but oh well, wouldn't have had the Commissioner Gordon angle or the Joker making remarks about the last time something happened to Barbara that way. There are plenty of other headaches with the story anyway.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Really the whole "refrigerator" thing is mostly about wanting female characters (at least, important female characters) to be independent entities with agency, rather than accessories to other characters. That's why there's also complaints about why the genius hacker/analyst needed Batman's help to figure out where the fear toxin was being manufactured -- she's not "allowed" to do anything on her own, because Batman is The Hero and therefore he has to do everything. You get a very "flat" world if every character is only important in how they interact with and/or motivate the protagonist. Obviously, as the protagonist, Batman is in focus most of the time, but it helps to produce the illusion of a living world if other characters are actually out getting things done and having meaningful interactions with each other.

On a related note, I hope that the police aren't going to spend the entire game holed up in GCPD.

Zero grinder
Sep 25, 2010
Fun Shoe

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

On a related note, I hope that the police aren't going to spend the entire game holed up in GCPD.

Other than the police helicopters, cop cars occasionally spawn on cleared islands chasing a thug car, if I am remembering correctly. Plotwise? You'll have to wait and see.

Zero grinder fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Mar 14, 2016

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I don't really have any problem with Catwoman and Barbara getting captured. Because in this game everyone gets captured. Even Batman himself.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Is it possible to drive to all the islands once you get free roam and tank driving ability to just go and kill all of the tanks on the ground before advancing the plot?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

rotinaj posted:

Is it possible to drive to all the islands once you get free roam and tank driving ability to just go and kill all of the tanks on the ground before advancing the plot?

The Arkham Knight Militia has raised the bridges between islands- you can stop and clear islands one at a time as they become available. Batman lowers bridges to access islands as the plot progresses.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Discendo Vox posted:

The Arkham Knight Militia has raised the bridges between islands- you can stop and clear islands one at a time as they become available. Batman lowers bridges to access islands as the plot progresses.

Yeah, you can fly between all the islands no problem, but with no Batmobile, the ground is your enemy until the plot lets it there.

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

Speedball posted:

Yeah, you can fly between all the islands no problem, but with no Batmobile, the ground is your enemy until the plot lets it there.

Do drone tanks react differently to meat batman as opposed to tank batman? because it would be baller as gently caress to take out drones through careful dodging to cause friendly fire.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

It would be, but no, drones can't take each other out. There's really only one thing you can do to a tank on foot and we'll see it later.

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.

Edminster posted:

Do drone tanks react differently to meat batman as opposed to tank batman? because it would be baller as gently caress to take out drones through careful dodging to cause friendly fire.

They react differently in that they use the main cannon on the Batmobile (which can indeed damage and blow up other drones if you dodge just right) but only ever shoot at Batman with their ridiculously accurate machineguns.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
Main storyline! New island! Explosions! Riddles! Who could ask for anything more?

Taking Back Miagani/Polsy

New character(s): Kirk and Francine Langstrom

New stories: White Noise

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
I do like that Catwoman's response to all this is just mild annoyance and :rolleyes:'really'. It's very in character, though her having to wait quietly until Batman deals with Riddler isn't. Also, Riddler seems a lot more unhinged this game - some of thugs comment on it.

OldMemes fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Mar 14, 2016

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I'm not going to lie, I kind of missing giggling and cackling Scarecrow. John Noble does a great voice job, but so far Scarecrow's lines have pretty much been "I bet you're scared. Oh the terror you must feel. Now you know what it means to be afraid." And it gets really bleh after a while.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I'm not going to lie, I kind of missing giggling and cackling Scarecrow. John Noble does a great voice job, but so far Scarecrow's lines have pretty much been "I bet you're scared. Oh the terror you must feel. Now you know what it means to be afraid." And it gets really bleh after a while.

John Noble as Scarecrow talks about fear like DIablo talks about nephalem. BLAH BLAH BLAH NEPHALEM BLAH BLAH FEAR BLAH

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
It's a case of good performance bad script, methinks. I generally like the writing in this game but Scarecrow is one of the couple of characters that got really shafted. Poor guy just isn't imposing main villain material.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

anilEhilated posted:

It's a case of good performance bad script, methinks. I generally like the writing in this game but Scarecrow is one of the couple of characters that got really shafted. Poor guy just isn't imposing main villain material.

Good thing the Joker's here to tip the tides in his favor at the end of the second act because this is an Arkham game.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Part of the reason the Riddler is neat is he's like the only person in this drat series who seems to be having fun. He's just so enthusiastic and it's a nice break from grimdark.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Night10194 posted:

Part of the reason the Riddler is neat is he's like the only person in this drat series who seems to be having fun. He's just so enthusiastic and it's a nice break from grimdark.
Firefly. "You say lip balm, I say napalm!" But Firefly is the best villain anyway.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

dscruffy1, you said you didn't know where the weak-point was on the rocket drone? The weak-point on all the drones is the glowing light, whether it's blue or orange. I believe the triple-shot drone actually has two, one on the gun and one on the body.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

So, who looked at the Arkham games and said 'What this really needs is dozens of tank fights'?

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Does anyone else get a weird error on the latest video from about 24:06 - 24:12? Everything before and after that is fine, but that part just refuses to play for me.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.

Technowolf posted:

Does anyone else get a weird error on the latest video from about 24:06 - 24:12? Everything before and after that is fine, but that part just refuses to play for me.

No, I got the same error. Weird :s

Skrewtape
Sep 10, 2003
I like pie
You're definitely right about the Batmobile combat missions getting hectic. I was trying for a 200% run, but the last few bomb disposal missions in NG+ just became totally impenetrable for me. It also doesn't really get a lot more fun as they add new enemy types, unlike the hand-to-hand combat, which gets equally complicated but remains fun and possible, even at the hardest difficulty.

Technowolf posted:

I was getting that in Chrome, but it played fine for me in Safari.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

I get that error, just skipping past it let me watch the rest of the video.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

dscruffy1 posted:

John Noble as Scarecrow talks about fear like DIablo talks about nephalem. BLAH BLAH BLAH NEPHALEM BLAH BLAH FEAR BLAH

It's kind of his thing, to be fair. As the thread has said before, Jonathan Crane can make you terrified for your life just by talking calmly to you for a while (he is a trained psychologist, after all). That's probably what Rocksteady was going for, but alas, their writing wasn't up to snuff. Sometimes, the Scarecrow monologues hit, but not often enough.

Nevermind that, he's playing second fiddle to Thomas Elliott (rich guy, can pay for both gadgets and a huge army, looks like Bruce, wants to be him, it makes sense).

The tank fights look like they start to drag. Like Skrewtape said, it doesn't seem to be getting more fun, just more frustrating.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Technowolf posted:

I got that error, but it fixed itself after I closed out of it and loaded it in a new window

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

I appreciate that the Knight was conscientious enough to close the door after he got out of his (ruined) car.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

The tank fights look like they start to drag. Like Skrewtape said, it doesn't seem to be getting more fun, just more frustrating.

This is definitely an issue. The tank fights aren't hard at the beginning, but they aren't really fun either. They're just a chore. But then later in the game, they start to get really difficult and they still aren't fun. There's a particular tank fight later in the game that I lost something like ten times before I got so angry I stopped playing. It took me a week to come back and beat it.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

CuwiKhons posted:

This is definitely an issue. The tank fights aren't hard at the beginning, but they aren't really fun either. They're just a chore. But then later in the game, they start to get really difficult and they still aren't fun. There's a particular tank fight later in the game that I lost something like ten times before I got so angry I stopped playing. It took me a week to come back and beat it.
I never had any problems with the fights difficultywise (apart from the keyboard controls for secondary weapons being a huge pain in the rear end) but boy, do they drag on. They aren't even that impressive, most of the time you're just surrounded by 3-4 tanks that keep replenishing their numbers.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

anilEhilated posted:

I never had any problems with the fights difficultywise (apart from the keyboard controls for secondary weapons being a huge pain in the rear end) but boy, do they drag on. They aren't even that impressive, most of the time you're just surrounded by 3-4 tanks that keep replenishing their numbers.

It was the fight in the churchyard which features very little cover from missiles and a very limited range of space where you can go before you're out of bounds.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

anilEhilated posted:

Not having played, just watched the videos, but it feels like a slow-moving third-person shooter where every attack is incredibly heavily clued. Like, you have several seconds between when the firing line shows up and when the drone actually attacks, and even longer for the missiles. As a consequence, it sort of feels like fine reactions don't matter much. There's nothing inherently wrong with methodical fights, but they need to reward planning (or rather, penalize lack of planning) to work well. Ideally the game would allow you to box yourself into a corner because you weren't positioning yourself correctly or you focused on the wrong area for too long. Unfortunately, I suspect that accomplishing that would require rather more design to go into each encounter, instead of the tank fights being something that can be procedurally-generated.

I'm sure these sections got a ton of playtesting and are miles better than they were in the first pass. But they're still a completely different genre of play, which is always an iffy prospect to shoehorn into your game.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Kevin Conroy and Mark Hamill will reprise their roles in the animated adaptation of The Killing Joke.

WFGuy
Feb 18, 2011

Press X to jump, then press X again!
Toilet Rascal
The Riddler puzzle looked fun, and a nice shakeup from the 'all races all the time' sort of thing I was expecting, that's nice. Plus, mostly good news on the "oh dear, women" angle: Catwoman struck a decent tone in her brief lines, Oracle managed to do something important in her kidnapping, and the remaining cast have finally started to actually miss her! (Referring there to Lucius saying "This was Miss Gordon's speciality, it'll take me longer" - that is a good thing! Previously, her work was being offloaded to Alfred like she was a server rack with a busted fan, and it was worrying that they didn't seem to recognise people's differing skill sets.)

It does lose some points for the unceremonious grimdark death of Francine Langstrom, though - I've just been watching B:TAS episodes recently, and the relationship between Kirk and Francine Langstrom was a heartwarming and important part of that, striving to fight darker urges for the sake of love, that sort of thing. Plus, she's also a doctor working on the same thing, and Batman had a slightly worrying line about it being "Dr. Langstrom's research" rather than "the Langstroms' research," which has a disturbing Rosalind Franklin vibe to it. It's clearly more of a teenage "Oh no! My terrible failure has caused deadly consequences for someone I love!" purpose than killing her out of spite, but it's still a nonchalant kill for the sake of cheap pathos.

Still, overall a positive episode. The plot progressing through people being clever and matching wits, rather than idiotic decisions that wouldn't fit a cast of world-leaders who're all masters in their fields. And the CSI stuff from Origins is definitely a welcome return, they're fun scenes.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Yessss.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Looks like Hamill got his wish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snograt
Jul 18, 2013

rattus rattus
senile old twattus
Not Bolland-y enough, imo.

The vocal talent goes way towards offsetting that, though.

• Locked thread