Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Dylan16807 posted:

Well the first paraplegic character I think of is Professor X and he doesn't fit those? Smart person that did brain things who lost the use of his legs and kept doing exactly the same things from a chair. No compensation going on, and lots of complicated motivations unrelated to physical ability.

professor_x_stairs.jpg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

i thnik of lieutenant dan and then i think the words lieutenant dan you aint got no legs

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Plus with advances in medicine and prosthetics and accessibility it seems like there just aren't as many people in wheelchairs as there used to be.

Not counting hambeasts in motor scooters of course.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Sleeveless posted:

Plus with advances in medicine and prosthetics and accessibility it seems like there just aren't as many people in wheelchairs as there used to be.

Not counting hambeasts in motor scooters of course.

It's going to get to the point where exosuits and prosthetic limbs are going to be the norm for ambulatory disability. Wheelchairs will mostly become a temporary thing to ferry patients around in a hospital or in a facility, special cases where their skeleton and/or musculature can't support the exoskeleton, or for poor people who can't afford the exo-suits. You might even see some pushback on the ADA as bionic or surgical replacements for disabilities proliferate and money used for lobbying for disabilities is lost from advances.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

The MSJ posted:

However, I really want to bring your attention to its trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnRLhEcRq50 (I think they sent a KoF-style Engrish script to this ad service)

I'm actually crying from laughter right now, this is incredible

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Young Freud posted:

You might even see some pushback on the ADA as bionic or surgical replacements for disabilities proliferate and money used for lobbying for disabilities is lost from advances.

I don't see the ADA disappearing completely because it's still valuable for people with mental and developmental disabilities, and you can't 3D print that away.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

daft punk railroad posted:

Is there some context for putting the word "her" in scare quotes or does that person just not know that Janus is a male name

It was a man pretending to be a woman on the forums.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Waffleman_ posted:

I don't see the ADA disappearing completely because it's still valuable for people with mental and developmental disabilities, and you can't 3D print that away.

Bionic and surgical replacement limbs aren't going to be cheap either, especially in the US's hosed up healthcare system.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

DoctorTristan posted:

It was a man pretending to be a woman on the forums.

How two faced!

simplyhorribul
Jul 30, 2013

Dylan16807 posted:

Well the first paraplegic character I think of is Professor X and he doesn't fit those? Smart person that did brain things who lost the use of his legs and kept doing exactly the same things from a chair. No compensation going on, and lots of complicated motivations unrelated to physical ability.

Well, it kind of sounds too much of a "This dude needs stand out somehow...OR, OR, WAIT FOR IT...!"-character design solution. Which aren't terrible per se, but rarely you can't wash the taste out of your mouth.

simplyhorribul has a new favorite as of 01:46 on Mar 13, 2016

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Evil Fluffy posted:

Bionic and surgical replacement limbs aren't going to be cheap either, especially in the US's hosed up healthcare system.

Naw man, we'll just 3D print the months of physical therapy and the prices will come crashing down. I know its gonna happen because I read it in a cyberpunk book :pseudo:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Paramount has called the Axanar people's bluff by amending their lawsuit to enumerate what exactly is violating their copyright. Although it turns out they didn't really have to because the lead of the project very stupidly said in an interview that "We violate CBS' copyright less than any other fan film."

https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/2757228-Axanar-Klingon.html

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

muscles like this? posted:

Although it turns out they didn't really have to because the lead of the project very stupidly said in an interview that "We violate CBS' copyright less than any other fan film."

I love how their response is to try and throw every other fan film that's actually done on a shoestring as a labor of love under the bus, but made a careless public admission of guilt in so doing.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
Not that I don't find this situation funny, or that I think they don't necessarily deserve what they got, but what is it, exactly, that sets them apart from other fan films? Do most fan films not use the Enterprise or something?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

SpacePig posted:

Not that I don't find this situation funny, or that I think they don't necessarily deserve what they got, but what is it, exactly, that sets them apart from other fan films? Do most fan films not use the Enterprise or something?

They raised a million, are raising more, are paying the principles five figure salaries, bought out a studio for a year and built it out, were selling loving branded coffee, bragging about how they were the "Real Star Trek." All kinds of poo poo, just really makin' themselves at home going whole hog trading and profiting off the IP.

Basically the opposite of how you think of the labor of love type fan film that a bunch of Trekkies get together and make with some handmade costumes and a cracked copy of lightwave or whatever.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
Alright, I think I get it. It's not 100% about the work itself, but more about the fact that they profited even beyond the film by association with the IP. And also almost went out of their way to bring themselves under scrutiny. Fair enough.

That side-by-side, item-by-item breakdown of infringements is pretty hilarious.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Well, according to the Axanar folks, they originally asked for permission from Paramount and we're cleared, and were only targeted after the Kickstarter was complete. Certainly, given the buzz in the fandom, it feels odd that Paramount didn't act on this sooner.

It seems like the amount of (publicly known) money and Kickstarter played a part, certainly. More than that is guesswork.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Yeah generally speaking if you're trying to make money off it, or even look like you are, your poo poo is going to get smited. They've got little reason to bother unless you look like you're going into competition with them.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Well, according to the Axanar folks, they originally asked for permission from Paramount and we're cleared, and were only targeted after the Kickstarter was complete. Certainly, given the buzz in the fandom, it feels odd that Paramount didn't act on this sooner.

It seems like the amount of (publicly known) money and Kickstarter played a part, certainly. More than that is guesswork.

My understanding is that "were cleared" was basically "look, we can't officially sanction something that trades on our IP or tacitly do so by giving you absolute guidelines, but be reasonable and we'll look the other way."

This summer there was another meeting that was apparently to the effect of "Look, you can't go around paying yourself a salary, building a brand, and loving merchandizing it. Dial it back or it's going to get bad" that the Axanar people seem to have ignored.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

TetsuoTW posted:

Yeah generally speaking if you're trying to make money off it, or even look like you are, your poo poo is going to get smited. They've got little reason to bother unless you look like you're going into competition with them.

They probably aren't happy with someone going around saying that they're "the real Star Trek."

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

muscles like this? posted:

They probably aren't happy with someone going around saying that they're "the real Star Trek."
Well yeah being a loving rear end in a top hat doesn't help obvs.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
Do they have anything in writing from Paramount saying that they could make a film on the level that they did? Because saying you got someone's word over the phone doesn't really support your case. Also, the final product is really above and beyond anything that a phone call agreement could really have covered.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
There's also the fact that a new Star Trek show has been a thing in the works in one for or another for a few years now so...

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Fan films are literal dirt

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Otisburg posted:

This summer there was another meeting that was apparently to the effect of "Look, you can't go around paying yourself a salary, building a brand, and loving merchandizing it. Dial it back or it's going to get bad" that the Axanar people seem to have ignored.

Ahhh. I was going through a nerd telephone game there so I didn't have that detail.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc
Is there a writeup on this Axanar thing? I don't think we've discussed in this thread before (at least not anytime recently).

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

theflyingorc posted:

Is there a writeup on this Axanar thing? I don't think we've discussed in this thread before (at least not anytime recently).

Nerds raised a 600k on kickstarter to make a Star Trek fan film.

Then they started selling branded coffee and Paramount gave them a c&d.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/856608334/the-hiatus-box-bringing-back-real-facetime

A box to put your phone away for a drat minute.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Eric Bana had fallen on hard times.

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

That is so awful and I weep for this generation.

CJacobs posted:

Aren't there free applications for phones, PCs, AND tablets that do this already?

Excuse me but an "app" is not a hand crafted artisinal box which also doubles as a social trigger. :colbert:

KiddieGrinder has a new favorite as of 16:53 on Mar 18, 2016

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Aren't there free applications for phones, PCs, AND tablets that do this already?

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

CJacobs posted:

Researching competitors and market saturation? Who do you think I am, a successful businessman?

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007

It took them one year to design a white box.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Foxhound posted:

It took them one year to design a white box.

I really wish they had done multiple-prototype testing to see what colors and designs were best at giving off a message testees specifically noted as, 'that type of passive aggressive Miss-Manners bullshit Bill is always pulling.'

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer

CJacobs posted:

The iPhone and iPad both have Do Not Disturb options at one swipe and screen press away at all times.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

Kaizoku posted:

I really wish they had done multiple-prototype testing to see what colors and designs were best at giving off a message testees specifically noted as, 'that type of passive aggressive Miss-Manners bullshit Bill is always pulling.'

I'm pretty sure "white plastic body and faux-wood print lid" is exactly that.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
We're a humble family, our only rules at the dinner table are 'wait for grace to be said' and 'put your devices in the box.' What do you mean, you don't get it? Here, let me pull up these youtubes to explain.

amusinginquiry
Nov 8, 2009

College Slice
what if you just turn your phone off

amusinginquiry
Nov 8, 2009

College Slice
Sent from my iPhone 5s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010