Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Daimo posted:

Yep anybody can have 40k and 6 months leisure time all it takes is hard work.

I don't know whether you're being sarcastic or agreeing with me but I stand by what I said. It may not come today, it may not come tomorrow, but you can attain your goals if you work toward them, sacrifice the now for the later, and don't give up. Do you need that extra $3 bag of candy or would you rather be at $39,997 left toward your $40,000 goal? Cut out the little things you don't need, and over time you'll cut out your desire for them.

Or you can bitch and moan on the internet that you don't have <Big Goal Item> and it's not fair someone else has one, your call!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
we're not super rich or anything and i don't think it's that big of a deal. i'm a network engineer, i make decent money. i put a lot of work into this career. my dad works for NASA JPL and LA is hideously expensive so he lives out of our hangar in the cooler months and only rents an apartment during the summer and flies to my stepmom's house in arizona on the weekends. our first plane is homebuilt, we built it in our garage over the course of a few years when i was younger.

we like aviation so we make that a priority over other things. i quit drinking a couple years ago and that saves a lot of money.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Or you could have 13,333 bags of candy :buddy:

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

SpartanIV posted:

And diabetes! Which is also expensive!

mystes
May 31, 2006

PCOS Bill posted:

I don't know whether you're being sarcastic or agreeing with me but I stand by what I said. It may not come today, it may not come tomorrow, but you can attain your goals if you work toward them, sacrifice the now for the later, and don't give up. Do you need that extra $3 bag of candy or would you rather be at $39,997 left toward your $40,000 goal? Cut out the little things you don't need, and over time you'll cut out your desire for them.

Or you can bitch and moan on the internet that you don't have <Big Goal Item> and it's not fair someone else has one, your call!
Just stop buying daily coffee for 36 years and you too could afford an airplane!

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

mystes posted:

Just stop buying daily coffee for 36 years and you too could afford an airplane!

This is why my generation has no faith in Gen Y.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

PCOS Bill posted:

Go on and tell Gen Y to get off your lawn.

I bought a pair of these for my son's jeep:

Erudite Sybarite
Jun 11, 2007

Is that a first edition? I'm oddly aroused.

Where did you get them at a discount? I want to get some new Raybans. but the sticker price makes my skin crawl.

nerox
May 20, 2001

mystes posted:

Woman: Do you drink beer?
Man: Yes
Woman: How many beers a day?
Man: Usually about 3
Woman: How much do you pay per beer?
Man: $5.00 which includes a tip
Woman: And how long have you been drinking?
Man: About 20 years, I suppose
Woman: So a beer costs $5 and you have 3 beers a day which puts your spending each month at $450. In one year, it would be approximately $5400 …correct?
Man: Correct
Woman: If in 1 year you spend $5400, not accounting for inflation, the past 20 years puts your spending at $108,000, correct?
Man: Correct
Woman: Do you know that if you didn't drink so much beer, that money could have been put in a step-up interest savings account and after accounting for compound interest for the past 20 years, you could have now bought a Ferrari?
Man: Do you drink beer?
Woman: No
Man: What color is your Ferrari?

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

PCOS Bill posted:

I am being slightly facetious for comedy, but yeah check your privilege ;)

nerox posted:

Woman: Do you drink beer?
Man: No I'm saving for a plane
Woman: Cool when you getting it?
Man: 36 years
Woman: *leaves table*

u fink u hard Percy has a new favorite as of 20:33 on Mar 14, 2016

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

SpartanIV posted:

I'd pick candy over an airplane any day. Sure, you can fly an airplane, but are they delicious? Probably not as tasty as a fistful of gummy bears :colbert:

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
I would point out that personal aircraft typically fall under the "if you can buy two you can afford one" category of expensive things with equally expensive upkeep costs.

So yeah, good luck with saving $20 a week and putting it into your airplane fund. By the time you have enough saved you probably won't be able to get a pilot's license because you're too old to pass medical.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
airplanes are pretty expensive to keep up and it is more of a lifestyle thing than a "hobby" per se imo

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
The idea of a homemade airplane makes me feel a lot better about wanting to build a bass boat out of a 12' johnboat. At Least with mine I can just swim away when it fails.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

PCOS Bill posted:

Because your lovely generation has kicked the ladder out from under them after climbing it?

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Its just as easy to say, "If you develop a plan and stick to it, you can accomplish whatever goals you set your mind to." as it is to say, "I'm disadvantaged because of _________________, and therefore cannot accomplish whatever goals I set my mind to."

As DMX once opined, "Talk is cheap, motherfuckers! *bang *bang". Hope that settles it.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Um, content?

Saturday, bought wife and self a couple of these:

And some of these:

Here in Crazy Fort Worth:

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

big mean giraffe posted:

Because your lovely generation has kicked the ladder out from under them after climbing it?

Gen X said the EXACT same loving thing about Boomers. And I know Boomers said the same thing about "The Greatest Generation"

So other than using the same tired, worn-out generational complaint, what was your point?

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

flosofl posted:

Gen X said the EXACT same loving thing about Boomers. And I know Boomers said the same thing about "The Greatest Generation"

So other than using the same tired, worn-out generational complaint, what was your point?

Generation 1: Kids are worse these days than they were when we were kids! Don't know they are born

Generation 2: We are what you made us

Generation 1 dies, generation 2 becomes generation 1, boot stamps on a human face, repeat until the end of time.

I bought beer and food, because I don't want a loving airplane

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
It's too bad there are no data or statistics on this topic. Or a better venue to discuss it.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Erudite Sybarite posted:

Where did you get them at a discount? I want to get some new Raybans. but the sticker price makes my skin crawl.

Just Amazon. I bought directly from Amazon, not a third party seller (what if they're knockoffs was a concern). I should note the price fluctuated a bit over the course of the week I was deciding if I wanted to get them or not.

Also shoutout to Amazon Prime because I ordered them at like 10 in the morning and had them by 8 the same night.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

CancerCakes posted:

Generation 1: Kids are worse these days than they were when we were kids! Don't know they are born

Generation 2: We are what you made us

Generation 1 dies, generation 2 becomes generation 1, boot stamps on a human face, repeat until the end of time.

I bought beer and food, because I don't want a loving airplane

I actually don't see much complaining about Gen X. I think everyone agrees the baby boomers are still the worst.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
gently caress your chat

I bought a new mattress and box spring, because my poo poo has a body divot in it and is now over eight years old.

Booze and a replacement headlight, for my car, were also purchased.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

FordPRefectLL posted:

airplanes are pretty expensive to keep up and it is more of a lifestyle thing than a "hobby" per se imo

As someone who has a dad who was once a pilot and owned a plane, I can attest to this. About 6 or 7 years into flying, he bought a house on a small airport. He was a 1 minute walk from his hangar. It was kind of awesome though because he was living a 4 hour drive away and in 3 hours he could fly down, pick me up and we'd be back at his house already. It also led to my default "tell us something interesting about you" ice breaker in that I flew an airplane before I ever drove a car. We contemplated getting me my pilots license at 13, but just couldn't justify the cost.

Edit: Speaking of planes, I just bought a flight up to Richmond, VA to get thousands of holes poked all over my leg I'm starting a full leg tattoo

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

Jaybird X2 bluetooth earbuds for the gym after yanking my iphone off the treadmill tray once too many times

Plus some books with some bits and bobs thrown in to hit the free international shipping minimum

Mid_Ben
Apr 10, 2008

blarzgh posted:

Um, content?

Saturday, bought wife and self a couple of these:

And some of these:

Here in Crazy Fort Worth:

Would you recommend your Little Red Wasp experience? I'm on the other side of downtown and walk by it all the time (usually going to/from The Brass Tap)

Content: Picked this up for a Vegas-bound bachelor party a week ago, was fun, got lots of compliments.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Did you get that from a novelty shop or is it a real suit?
I love garish poo poo like that.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

You could wear that to the players ball and not stand out.

Better get some awesome shoes to go with it.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Mid_Ben posted:

Would you recommend your Little Red Wasp experience?

Oh my god, yes. Round about $13 a plate. Great cocktails and beer selection, too.

Also, if you ever make it down towards University and the Trinity, you've gotta try Woodshed Smokehouse for breakfast. http://woodshedsmokehouse.com/menus/breakfast/

kmcormick9
Feb 2, 2004
Magenta Alert
It's ok. I have poor impulse control, buy expensive luxury items on credit, and have no savings, but Bernie's gonna buy me an airplane!

Feel the Bern!

Mushinronsha
Apr 14, 2006

Please do not feed poinsettias to animals, its not good for them and I dont want PI to yell at me.

Shoulda gone with the exofficio boxer brief! Feels great (as I've been told) and looks drat good (giggity)!

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

kmcormick9 posted:

It's ok. I have poor impulse control, buy expensive luxury items on credit, and have no savings, but Bernie's gonna buy me an airplane!

Feel the Bern!

Is airplane the new cellphone?

I just bought the Mountain Dew Kickstart grape flavor. loving terrible.

The blood orange flavor is much better.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

Went thrifting over the weekend. Made out like a bandit on winter clothes and work coffee. Also found this:

Also got a used 2DS for my birthday and I'm determined not to pay more than $5 per game for it. I foresee good bargains and/or terrible games in my future.

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

Mushinronsha posted:

Shoulda gone with the exofficio boxer brief! Feels great (as I've been told) and looks drat good (giggity)!

Yeah I find briefs more comfortable when wearing something over them but I lounge around the house in my boxers all the time and wearing briefs with no pants would feel (and look, I'm guessing) way more indecent?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I bought a 49 inch tv and a PlayStation 4 today. I have to spend a lot of time at home/on call the next month or so and decided to retire the original Wii I had plugged into my 24 inch. Big difference.

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT posted:

Jaybird X2 bluetooth earbuds for the gym after yanking my iphone off the treadmill tray once too many times

I got an older generation and I love them still. Only thing that may suck is the battery life of ~6 hours but with such a small size you can't really demand more.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The Jaybird X3 has 7 hour battery and has an app where you can change the equalizer. What they really need to do is let you switch the left and right channels for when you're doing the over-the-ear mode for working out.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Rolo posted:

I bought a 49 inch tv and a PlayStation 4 today. I have to spend a lot of time at home/on call the next month or so and decided to retire the original Wii I had plugged into my 24 inch. Big difference.

Get Rocket League ASAP

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

The exofficio boxer briefs are shockingly comfortable compared to cotton boxer briefs. The main problem is that I've slowly replaced my cotton briefs with exofficio, and realizing that means I've spent like 400 dollars on underwear. Worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstPlayer
Jan 1, 2007

Beat me up and earn
fifteen respect points

Seconding that; I've worn nothing but Ex Officio boxer briefs for the last 3-4 years and I don't even want to remember what life was like before them.