Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Sir Kodiak posted:

Huh, I had assumed HIJK was making a joke about Tezzor's wall of text.

Hahaha yeah that's how I read it too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
Or copy/pasted 12 paragraph quotes from incoherent academics

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Or, you know, you can just not be an rear end in a top hat and not assume that just because people see a movie differently than you they're trolling you.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
I watched the latest Civil War trailer, which gives us a glimpse of the new regulations regarding "Enhanced Persons" and the opposing teams. Spider-Man, Scarlett Witch, and Vision are the only true superhumans there. Cap and Black Panther are only borderline superhuman. The rest of the guys like Iron Man and Ant-Man use gadgets. The destruction of New York was caused by alien invaders wielding advanced weaponry (that SHIELD was trying to replicate). The attacks on Washington was caused by HYDRA, of which Winter Soldier was the only known enhanced member (and like Cap he's not all that powerful). The attack on London was also caused by aliens. The destruction of Sokovia was mainly caused by one of Tony Stark's experiments gone wrong. The only real disaster that superhumans are fully and directly responsible for was the Hulk's rampage in Wakanda and also in the last Hulk movie, and the Hulk will not appear in this movie. In the comic books, there are tons of superheroes will a long history of destructive battles, but in the movie continuity they are still a new and small force. It's a bit of a stretch to believe that world fears superhumans at this point. Looking at the Marvel movies altogether, the world's reaction should be Let's stop Tony Stark from building unlicensed super-weapons in his garage and find the Hulk.

Kurzon fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Mar 14, 2016

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Captain America is not "borderline" superhuman. He can outrun cars, run a marathon without breaking a sweat, lift super heavy things, crush a log or robot with his bare hands, jump twenty stories down and shake it off. Here but "peak human" like Batman is, he has actual superhuman strength, stamina, speed, and durability.

As does black panther if he can run down a speeding motorcycle on foot.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Authoritarians will always use any excuse to exercise a policy of strict control. It doesn't take a lot to instill fear in a large enough segment of the population that will lead to authoritarian policy (see: Trump supporters). It would be pretty easy to use people's existing fear of not knowing how to control these constant destructive events and spin them as being the superhumans' fault. It makes people feel like they're doing something about the problem.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
But that still begs the question why the Man wants to control superhumans specifically, instead of dealing with dangerous new technologies. Fantastic weapons technology was really responsible for most of these disasters and is a source of power that governments can more readily control.

Boob Marley
Nov 1, 2011

Flesh for Fantasy

GonSmithe posted:

Or, you know, you can just not be a Boob Marley and not assume that just because people see a movie differently than you they're Boob Marleying you.

Don't do what I done did, kids. You don't have to learn the hard way.
Like me, or like Tony apparently:

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Neo Rasa posted:

They got a different actress for Karai

I had honestly forgotten she was in the first movie.

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
"Wall of text" = one medium-sized paragraph

GonSmithe posted:

Or, you know, you can just not be an rear end in a top hat and not assume that just because people see a movie differently than you they're trolling you.

Again, it's not the simple fact that they see "a movie" "differently" than you. It's the specifics: which movie or movies, and the reasons they profess as to why they see them differently, both of which are so incredibly stupid and nonsensical to extent that the theory that they are trolling you is in fact the charitable position.

Tezzor fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Mar 14, 2016

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Some new footage in the final Korean BvS trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ez_TA97jyGM

I'm super excited to see Wonder Woman on the big screen next week you guys :neckbeard:

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Tezzor posted:

Again, it's not the simple fact that they see "a movie" "differently" than you. It's the specifics: which movie or movies, and the reasons they profess as to why they see them differently, both of which are so incredibly stupid and nonsensical to extent that the the theory that they are trolling you is in fact the charitable position.

😪

Detective Dog Dick
Oct 21, 2008

Detective Dog Dick

Kurzon posted:

I watched the latest Civil War trailer, which gives us a glimpse of the new regulations regarding "Enhanced Persons" and the opposing teams. Spider-Man, Scarlett Witch, and Vision are the only true superhumans there. Cap and Black Panther are only borderline superhuman. The rest of the guys like Iron Man and Ant-Man use gadgets. The destruction of New York was caused by alien invaders wielding advanced weaponry (that SHIELD was trying to replicate). The attacks on Washington was caused by HYDRA, of which Winter Soldier was the only known enhanced member (and like Cap he's not all that powerful). The attack on London was also caused by aliens. The destruction of Sokovia was mainly caused by one of Tony Stark's experiments gone wrong. The only real disaster that superhumans are fully and directly responsible for was the Hulk's rampage in Wakanda and also in the last Hulk movie, and the Hulk will not appear in this movie. In the comic books, there are tons of superheroes will a long history of destructive battles, but in the movie continuity they are still a new and small force. It's a bit of a stretch to believe that world fears superhumans at this point. Looking at the Marvel movies altogether, the world's reaction should be Let's stop Tony Stark from building unlicensed super-weapons in his garage and find the Hulk.

It's probably analogous to something like gun control, where people get driven into a furor by highly visible and sensationalized mass shootings every so often, but otherwise are unconcerned with everyday violence.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Tezzor posted:

This is a single sentence:

Tezzor posted:

When someone says "I like Adam Sandler movies because the man is a secret genius exploring the Jungian archetype of The Fool" then it's hard to not assume that the person is pulling your leg, and this is the standard type of the explanations for why these movies are actually good; not "I just like bright colors and explosions" but bloviating about vague and not-particularly-insightful notions of "artistry," overwrought and poorly-substantiated fan-theories and headcanons about secret depth and moral complexity, and, last, appeals to the sheer length of arguments rather than their points or value.

Detective Dog Dick
Oct 21, 2008

Detective Dog Dick
And a heck of a sentence, at that!

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
They just released a supercut that shows the "Road to Civil War" and gives a quick recap of Cap and Tony's evolution. Includes the Netflix shows and Agents of Shield's civil war tie-ins if you don't watch those shows.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=682_yjauxso

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Kurzon posted:

But that still begs the question why the Man wants to control superhumans specifically, instead of dealing with dangerous new technologies. Fantastic weapons technology was really responsible for most of these disasters and is a source of power that governments can more readily control.

If that's the question you're asking, I feel like it's kinda self evident. Captain America proved himself capable of dismantling SHIELD with the help of a couple buddies. They want to get all these people voluntarily to fall in line because if they don't they're a major threat.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

They just released a supercut that shows the "Road to Civil War" and gives a quick recap of Cap and Tony's evolution. Includes the Netflix shows and Agents of Shield's civil war tie-ins if you don't watch those shows.

God awful sound mixing in this video.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Tezzor posted:

Again, it's not the simple fact that they see "a movie" "differently" than you. It's the specifics: which movie or movies, and the reasons they profess as to why they see them differently, both of which are so incredibly stupid and nonsensical to extent that the theory that they are trolling you is in fact the charitable position.

You realize that the vast majority of people who watched the prequels, transformers, tmnt, [hot new nerd bugbear] etc. don't actually see them as the kind of hellmonster hitlerfilms that you seem to think they are, right

Most film watchers are largely ambivalent about them and see these alternative interpretations as funny diversions or, in some cases, fun thought exercises that let them appreciate a movie in a way that they hadn't thought about. People like SMG aren't writing posts to try and own nerds or whatever the gently caress, because you're a minority voice that ultimately nobody gives a poo poo about.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Colonel Whitey posted:

If that's the question you're asking, I feel like it's kinda self evident. Captain America proved himself capable of dismantling SHIELD with the help of a couple buddies. They want to get all these people voluntarily to fall in line because if they don't they're a major threat.

Specifically, dismantling Hydra through his dismantling of SHIELD. And at the start of this movie a Hydra agent, Crossbones, will be performing a terrorist attack, which will create an excuse to put Cap and others like him under the control of another government agency. Which will be Hydra, because it's a Captain America movie. With Cap 2 being a take on preemptive war, Cap 3 may be a take on the theory that 9/11 was an excuse to push through whatever security reforms were already on the wish list, whether they had anything to do with the actual incident itself.

Sir Kodiak fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Mar 14, 2016

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

CelticPredator posted:

God awful sound mixing in this video.

The description says it's an unfinished version, maybe it'll be better in the final cut.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Yvonmukluk posted:

The description says it's an unfinished version, maybe it'll be better in the final cut.

I hope so, I couldn't hear any of the dialogue towards the end.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

GonSmithe posted:

But, I mean, who could like Man of Steel? That movie that is "generally considered among to be failed, embarrassing, bottom-tier trash for idiots?"

I like the argument that incredibly popular movies like Transformers are bottom tier trash for idiots - i.e., the opinions of the general movie-going public should be ignored because they are all stupid - but we should also listen to the (imaginary) mass consensus of a bunch of nerds - because, obviously, they're smarter.

Martman fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Mar 14, 2016

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
Man, I have the feeling that between Batman vs Superman and Captain America Civil War, corporations and audiences really deeply desire to see Americans going to war with one another. These companies have a really obvious obsession with egging on some sort of mass scale violent conflict among American citizens.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Maybe people just like seeing superheroes fight.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

double post :tinfoil:

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
One of these movies is explicitly positioning this war as a misguided conflict ginned up by a new-school corporate executive, though

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Jenny Angel posted:

One of these movies is explicitly positioning this war as a misguided conflict ginned up by a new-school corporate executive, though

And in the end they and a feminist international icon team up against the corporate executive and his Frankenstein monster.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
Does anyone here actually think it's a coincidence that Marvel finally included their superhero Black Panther in a movie about civil war in America? How stupid do you have to be?

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Lumpy the Cook posted:

Does anyone here actually think it's a coincidence that Marvel finally included their superhero Black Panther in a movie about civil war in America? How stupid do you have to be?

Not stupid enough to think that some comic book movies are going to spark a real civil war

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Lumpy the Cook posted:

Don't worry, Marvel will make up for this awkwardness by making a Black Panther movie about how empowering it is for an African country to possess natural resources that are highly desired by the industrial world.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Come to think of it, there hasn't really been a Lex equivalent in the MCU yet, has there? I mean in the "evil corporation" sense. Usually the big faceless opposition is one government agency or another. There was kind of Jeff Bridges in the first Iron Man, but the takeaway from that movie was more "corporations can still be good, the people are just bad!"

It's just interesting comparing it to Man of Steel where the military is kind of an antagonist but more of a Godzilla 2014 way of "well meaning but incompetent".

e: I guess there's kind of Iron Man 3 too but that guy was a military contractor and he was pretending to be a terrorist.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Sam Rockwell's Justin Hammer is the best evil businessman we will ever see in cinema.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

AIM was an evil corporate think tank in Iron Man 3. Roxxon is an evil corporation but they've been mostly regulated to bit parts in the TV offerings.

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

mr. stefan posted:

You realize that the vast majority of people who watched the prequels, transformers, tmnt, [hot new nerd bugbear] etc. don't actually see them as the kind of hellmonster hitlerfilms that you seem to think they are, right

Most film watchers are largely ambivalent about them and see these alternative interpretations as funny diversions or, in some cases, fun thought exercises that let them appreciate a movie in a way that they hadn't thought about. People like SMG aren't writing posts to try and own nerds or whatever the gently caress, because you're a minority voice that ultimately nobody gives a poo poo about.

The vast majority of people who watch these movies you listed think of them as dumb entertainment which they like because they like lasers and explosions and nostalgia, not because they appreciate the alleged hidden complexity in them that can only be sussed out by 30,000-word fan theories. Most film watchers don't care about or even know about "alternative interpretations" (that is to say, poorly substantiated headcanon that always requires belief in a lot of stuff not in evidence) and of those who do, you are correct that most do see them as funny diversions or fun thought exercises. The problem arises when certain individuals get up their own rear end about their Alternative Interpretations to the extent that they forget that these are just silly games and not actually evidence that Darth Jar Jar or Secret Genius Michael Bay is a real thing, let alone that their existence is a material factor as to the quality of the movie.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

If it's so easy to make "dumb" entertainment that earns billions of dollars, why don't more of these cynical nerds do it?

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

teagone posted:

Some new footage in the final Korean BvS trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ez_TA97jyGM

I'm super excited to see Wonder Woman on the big screen next week you guys :neckbeard:

another level of :psyduck: is added every time I see a new clip from this scene

God drat I am so excited for this.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Including AoS is surprising. The Civil War writers apparently had no idea about what happened on the show.
http://m.hitfix.com/harpy/dont-expect-any-mention-of-inhumans-in-captain-america-civil-war

quote:

“I have to confess, having come here, I've seen no TV since I got here in April. I haven't seen the vast majority of this season of ‘Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.’ There's fish oil?”

McFeely was just as lost. “Is there really fish oil? What are you talking about?”

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Tezzor posted:

Secret Genius Michael Bay

The actual argument is that Michael Bay, as a director, possesses a basic proficiency in the language of film. That this is misinterpreted as an argument for him possessing secret genius, rather than mere literacy, ultimately says the most about the person making this misinterpretation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Those amazing essays on the Happy Madison films over in the BvS thread doesn't make those movies not terrible, it just makes them non-meaningless. It's not a comment on quality.

• Locked thread