Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

grrarg posted:

Each kingdom's tribute is a ratio of gold, glory, or souls that is equal in value to the other kingdoms. I forget the numbers for the value of gold to glory to souls. Khaziel is the max gold tribute. Khetar is max souls, and I assume Whitehelm is max glory.

Next week's event starts in the morning. The glory vendor will sell the new Ifrit card in a bundle. It will probably also have Arcane Storm (red/yellow) traitstones. If you have spare glory, it will be worth buying extra copies if you can. A lot of good cards use those stones. Valkyrie, Goblin Rocket, Moloch, Gar'Nok, and now of course Ifrit. I am going to buy as many as I can.

Thanks, that makes sense. There's a lot of details in this game like that that I find difficult to keep track of.

I'm really annoyed with the treasure map nerf, just bought a stack of maps to grind and have yet to get a gem drop out of the last 6 maps whereas I was averaging a map:gem ratio of like 1.5 or so before. Traitstones are nice I guess but honestly I'd rather just buy 50stacks of gold chests to farm those instead of losing the only reliable gem conversion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!
trait stones > gems

I leveled up Warlord to 20, and leveled up Gob-Chomper, Stone Giant, and Ettin and made a team of them plus my hero with Staff of Madness. 14 damage x 4 = 56 damage for 16 mana... not bad at all. I threw on the new Blighted Lands banner.

Ettin in the first spot seems to work. His attack gets boosted quickly, but he's not the best tank.

I'm not super impressed with the team. It works, but the troops overall are kind of weak. Ettin's column destroy is the worst board manipulation available. Stone giant hits a random enemy. Gob-Chomper only great against goblins and marauders. Staff of Madness is OK, expensive to power up. Other red weapons might work better. The team bonuses are solid at least.

Anyone else make a solid hero team that they want to share?

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

gromdul posted:

trait stones > gems

I leveled up Warlord to 20, and leveled up Gob-Chomper, Stone Giant, and Ettin and made a team of them plus my hero with Staff of Madness. 14 damage x 4 = 56 damage for 16 mana... not bad at all. I threw on the new Blighted Lands banner.

Ettin in the first spot seems to work. His attack gets boosted quickly, but he's not the best tank.

I'm not super impressed with the team. It works, but the troops overall are kind of weak. Ettin's column destroy is the worst board manipulation available. Stone giant hits a random enemy. Gob-Chomper only great against goblins and marauders. Staff of Madness is OK, expensive to power up. Other red weapons might work better. The team bonuses are solid at least.

Anyone else make a solid hero team that they want to share?

I have my dragon armor but I have never opened up any gem chests outside of the ones I used to get in maps before again they nerfed those out too.

The traitstones thing is really lovely because they basically just cut out the only way to get their premium currency outside of the guild drip or the random single gem from a double tribute. It's really not a good trade off unless you've been playing this game for more than 3 months.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
I have been getting gem drops at a roughly 25% rate on green chests since 1.0.9. I think you're just going through a dry spell; it's happened to me before, where I consistently got gems at a rate much lower than one from every four green chests. Goes back to what I have claimed before, that the RNG is prone to streaky behavior.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Grundulum posted:

I have been getting gem drops at a roughly 25% rate on green chests since 1.0.9. I think you're just going through a dry spell; it's happened to me before, where I consistently got gems at a rate much lower than one from every four green chests. Goes back to what I have claimed before, that the RNG is prone to streaky behavior.

I used to average 3 red chests and 4-5 greens per map. Now, even on a 55 match streak I had two reds and 3 greens because you no longer can make moves to set up high level matches, of it isn't a turn extension it needs to be a multimatch and you can't afford to make a bad copper match or two to swap a red into place for a vault.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.
Dumped all my glory into the Ifrit bundles for Arcane Storm stones. Moloch's 3rd trait is so good. "Suppression: Enemies lose 1 skill point on 4 or 5 gem matches." It adds up to about -2 magic/attack/health/armor on all enemies by the end of an average game.

I need 3 more Arcane Mountain (brown/yellow) stones to unlock Gorgotha's -75% skull damage trait then I think I will go with the following team for the 4 Daemon team bonus:
Gorgotha
Hero sorcerer (not sure which weapon yet)
Moloch
Webspinner

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!
Made a new team:

Green Slime
    Giant Spider
    Banshee
    Keeper of Souls

With the idea being I could use two troops with Necromancy. Except using two troops with Necromancy does NOT raise the soul cap. Still getting 110 souls per fight at Warlord II. :smith:

Beyond that, it works well. It can chain turns. When Green Slime dies his spot gets filled with a Spider Swarm. Which is nice for soaking up skulls when Keeper of Souls makes too many and I can't clear them all. But apparently summons do not get the benefits of kingdom bonuses. So it has loving 5 attack. Not a huge deal since I am flooding the board with skulls, but still...

Giant Spider is more reliable at creating purples than Green Slime (and giving me an extra turn).

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
After a whirlwind double gold weekend, I only have two kingdoms left that aren't level 10. In addition, Whitehelm and Zhul'Kari both have nine troops now, so they are easily upgraded to three stars of power for the 20% tribute chance with some more souls and traitstones (Broken Spire is already there). I think I need to dial back my activity for a day or two, though. Not sure how people manage to go through 100+ matches in a day; even 40 a day during the double gold weekend took almost all my time and pretty much burned me out for a bit.

Unrelated, but I need to get over my ingrained fear of spending runic traitstones. Stems from my days playing RPGs, when I would hoard healing potions because I was never sure if a hard battle was right around the corner. Major and minor traitstones are common enough that they don't trigger this reaction, and arcane stones are so rare they're functionally irrelevant to my trait planning. (As for celestial, hah!)

Edit: it is my hope that 2.0 addresses the fact that summoning is useless.

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012
Holy poo poo, that last fight you do in Whitehelm to unlock the priest class, with that rear end in a top hat blue/yellow dragon that just chains his power until he's at 100 life. Luckily I was able to dispatch the three goonies before him rather quickly, but the fight overall showed me how happy I am with my team composition (or rather, with summoner and gar'nok in the last 2 spots), you can just churn out 2 cannon fodder dudes once the front tanks are dead and almost instantly buff the top guy to 15+ attack. The fight still lasted a good 30 minutes or something with the odd lucky chain skullmatch from him and killing the top guy just when I had him buffed up again.

I also made the conscious decision to go full red, with pridelands banner, warlord hero in front and cyclops in second spot, and it's working better than taking an off-color weapon. Cyclops is probably the weakest link but I don't have anything better right now.

Grundulum posted:

Thoughts for new players:

• Don't contribute anything to the guild tasks until you have unlocked all 22 kingdoms.
  • Get all your kingdoms to level 5 ASAP with gold, then start looking at guild tasks
  • Contribute maybe 10% of your gold towards guild tasks while you advance all your kingdoms from level 5 to level 7.
  • Once all your kingdoms are level 7, focus on getting individual kingdoms to 10 one at a time. Preferred order is magic --> attack --> life --> armor, but Khaziel/Whitehelm/Khetar may jump ahead if desired. If you want, you could also up the rate of contribution to guild tasks at this point.
  • Your home kingdom does two things. First, it doubles the tribute you receive from that kingdom. So Khaziel would give a cool 500 (possibly 1,000) gold each time it sends tribute. The other thing it does is set what kinds of traitstones you can earn during revenge battles. I am trying to get my hands on Arcane Stoic stones (plain blue) right now, so my home kingdom is Stormheim. Tony homo has posted an image that lists the pre-1.0.9 kingdoms, their colors, and their arcane stones.

grrarg posted:

The OP is outdated in a lot of ways, but the advice on the kingdom quest epic troops is still good. The ones from Whitehelm, Divinion Fields, and Mist of Scales plus hero make a good starter team. If I was starting now, I would do those questlines first after Broken Spire and the first part of Zhul'Kari to unlock the treasure hunt minigame. Pump your souls into that team to level them up. Do not buy gold keys or contribute to guild tasks. Use your gold to unlock more kingdoms as that increases your daily gold income. You will be tempted to do Challenges for souls, but save those for later when you can do them on a higher difficulty level with the Treant/Alchemist/Valkyrie/Banshee farm team for maximum souls. Arena is a great place for new players since it rewards a little bit of everything you need, and you do not have to worry about leveling up your own team.

Don't worry about PvP until you have been playing for a week or two. It is a bit of a newbie trap since there are better uses of your time, although not as bad as when battles cost gold. I almost quit the game my first week because I couldn't afford to do even PvE quests after trying to PvP too soon and losing.

Thanks for those tips! So, Khaziel should be set to my home kingdom in the beginning, where I care most about gold? I find those gold gain mechanics from kingdom, home kingdom and tribute a little obtuse. Also the kingdom levels and the unlocking of traits for cards, which seems outrageously expensive with the traitstones required for just a single trait.

Depends
May 6, 2006
no.
Seems like a lot of gold stolen considering I was attacked twice just previous to this one and they both stole less than 70 each.

Mylan
Jun 19, 2002

Depends posted:

Seems like a lot of gold stolen considering I was attacked twice just previous to this one and they both stole less than 70 each.

When you finished your 60th defense, what kind of key did you get? That picture implies an event key but the reward chart shows a lovely gold key. It's gonna be a while before I get 60 defense fights to see for myself.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Depends posted:

How much uncollected gold did you have on your home kingdom? Was it 1100, or should it have been less?

Depends
May 6, 2006
no.

Grundulum posted:

How much uncollected gold did you have on your home kingdom? Was it 1100, or should it have been less?

Nothing uncollected when the big hit happened, about 3000 more collected when he hit compared to the other 2 smaller takes.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Depends posted:

Nothing uncollected when the big hit happened, about 3000 more collected when he hit compared to the other 2 smaller takes.

I don't understand your response. My kingdoms generate 2500 gold per day for me, or about 105 per hour. For someone to steal 1100 gold, it would take at least 11 hours of accumulation without my checking for tribute. Is that what happened here? Did you not check for the better part of a day?

psivamp
Sep 6, 2011

I am expert in shadowy field of many things.
Strongly against the forced difficulty leveling of PvP.

I am getting wrecked.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
Do you have a unit with Stoneskin you can put in front of your team? Golem has that as its second trait, and being able to take twice as many hits does wonders for survivability.

Personally, I am surprised that matches in 1.0.9 don't feel harder. With the sole exception of that damnable 3x Celestasia team I faced right after the patch dropped, the AI doesn't seem to be getting tons of cascades. Thanks, I guess, for taking one for the team, psivamp?

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
I've seen a lot of crazy cascades. Especially when you've just finished off the second character of their team and still have like another 100+ health to chew through and then the AI just gets a ton of skull drops into extra turns and my team ends up wiped out. Particularly, poo poo like Venoxia, Jarl Firemane, Gorgotha, and Green Slime just ran apeshit all over me as soon as they got a full meter.

But I did a poo poo ton of PVP over the weekend. Actually getting to rank 1 this week was still pretty easy.

E: Surprisingly I had a real hard time with this hosed up Lamia team. It goes Lamia, Lamia, Bone Dragon, Lamia. Everything was maxed out so the Lamia get a full meter every time they kill someone. Basically you need to either get really lucky with where their damage lands or you need to immediately kill them because there is no way in gently caress you are going to take out a fully raised Bone Dragon with meat shields on either side of him with your two half dead units.

Jibo fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Mar 15, 2016

Estel
May 4, 2010
I loved puzzle quest and I started playing this, i would like an invite to one of the guilds, my ingame name is Estel and my invite code is Estel_1. Don't know which one of those you need for the guild.

voodoo dog
Jun 6, 2001

Gun Saliva

Estel posted:

I loved puzzle quest and I started playing this, i would like an invite to one of the guilds, my ingame name is Estel and my invite code is Estel_1. Don't know which one of those you need for the guild.

Sent you an invite to Gem Blossums, hope that worked. If not, write again, this is the first time I invited anyone.

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!

Mylan posted:

When you finished your 60th defense, what kind of key did you get? That picture implies an event key but the reward chart shows a lovely gold key. It's gonna be a while before I get 60 defense fights to see for myself.

It's an event key. I just got one.

Estel
May 4, 2010

Wuntvor posted:

Sent you an invite to Gem Blossums, hope that worked. If not, write again, this is the first time I invited anyone.

I'm now in the guild, thanks :)

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

I don't know if we can even judge PvP difficulty yet. I'm not sure how much (if any) of the new system is working. The Known Issues thread says "Difficulties are still applying stat buffs in PVP + Arena but not rewards. Status: We have reverted them back similar to the way they were working in 1.0.8. (apart from the fact that the AI Combo Breaker will gradually turn itself off in ALL difficulties now). They will be changing to the way we intended them to be in patch 2.0." I guess the only change is if you play on Normal, the combo breaker turns off as you approach rank 1. Nothing changed if you play on Hard and up.

PvP seems more difficult to me, but not because of the combo breaker. I've played with that off since they added the difficulties. It seems harder because there are a lot more viable teams now and not a one size fits all counter like the True Shot + Skeleton/Bone Dragon/Sheggra combo.

Grundulum posted:

I don't understand your response. My kingdoms generate 2500 gold per day for me, or about 105 per hour. For someone to steal 1100 gold, it would take at least 11 hours of accumulation without my checking for tribute. Is that what happened here? Did you not check for the better part of a day?
It might have been multi-kingdom tribute including Khaziel. I imagine it was like he had a couple of defense battles lined up and started fighting. While he was in battle, the hourly tribute occurred then another guy invaded before he could collect the tribute. Or it could have been a bug. There were quite a few in this patch.

psivamp
Sep 6, 2011

I was running a partial Goblin team, and the update has me working on getting some other teams getting ready, but I had to bench my hero from getting victories toward his dumb bow and shift to a full Goblin team.

Definitely feel like I've gotten more unlucky drops of skulls and things going into the AI's turn and things feel like they got more lethal.

So, PvP isn't supposed to be effected by difficulty, but is it? Because they said that and so I left the difficulty cranked even when I go do PvP because I stupidly trusted what I'd been told.

Also, did Tyri always have a chance to get you a map with her ability? Because with maps dropping traitstones, I think that once I'm PvP rank 1, I'm going to grind challenges with her and get a bunch of maps and then do those for a bit to farm out some stones.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

grrarg posted:

I don't know if we can even judge PvP difficulty yet. I'm not sure how much (if any) of the new system is working. The Known Issues thread says "Difficulties are still applying stat buffs in PVP + Arena but not rewards. Status: We have reverted them back similar to the way they were working in 1.0.8. (apart from the fact that the AI Combo Breaker will gradually turn itself off in ALL difficulties now). They will be changing to the way we intended them to be in patch 2.0." I guess the only change is if you play on Normal, the combo breaker turns off as you approach rank 1. Nothing changed if you play on Hard and up.

Welp no wonder I had so much trouble with PVP. I've been on Warlord 1. :suicide:

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Grundulum, I think you can safely kick Herc from Gem Blossums. He said something about the game being too addictive and quit in the first week. That will leave one open spot.

Is Gem Boiz full up now after the new players, or is there still more room?

psivamp posted:

I was running a partial Goblin team, and the update has me working on getting some other teams getting ready, but I had to bench my hero from getting victories toward his dumb bow and shift to a full Goblin team.

Definitely feel like I've gotten more unlucky drops of skulls and things going into the AI's turn and things feel like they got more lethal.

So, PvP isn't supposed to be effected by difficulty, but is it? Because they said that and so I left the difficulty cranked even when I go do PvP because I stupidly trusted what I'd been told.

Also, did Tyri always have a chance to get you a map with her ability? Because with maps dropping traitstones, I think that once I'm PvP rank 1, I'm going to grind challenges with her and get a bunch of maps and then do those for a bit to farm out some stones.
Hero does not need to be on your team for battles to count towards class progress.

They were planning to make difficulty settings not affect PvP, but it was bugged. It sounds like they are changing PvP to a true ladder system in the next patch, and that's why they wanted to get rid of difficulties.

Tyri's ability giving maps is new in the patch.

grrarg fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Mar 15, 2016

Mylan
Jun 19, 2002

grrarg posted:

Grundulum, I think you can safely kick Herc from Gem Blossums. He said something about the game being too addictive and quit in the first week. That will leave one open spot.

Is Gem Boiz full up now after the new players, or is there still more room?

Hero does not need to be on your team for battles to count towards class progress.

They were planning to make difficulty settings not affect PvP, but it was bugged. It sounds like they are changing PvP to a true ladder system in the next patch, and that's why they wanted to get rid of difficulties.

Tyri's ability giving maps is new in the patch.

I'm kinda worried about what they're going to do with pvp. I tried the Marvel Puzzle Quest game a while ago and hated how their pvp only really rewarded the top players (in other words, whales). I don't want to see a "rich get richer" situation develop here.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

grrarg posted:

Heh. I did that as soon as I saw an invite go out to a thirtieth player. Came back from the game to the thread and found this post from you.

And it looks like both Blossums and Boiz are at 29/30 members right now.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
I just booted a couple of inactives from Gem Boiz so there's room there if there's another push.

voodoo dog
Jun 6, 2001

Gun Saliva

psivamp posted:

I don't think so, but thanks for the tip! Don't really like her ability otherwise as you have to be very careful with it, but I've actually replaced my alchemist in my farming team with her. Feels a lot slower and weaker, but I really enjoy doing those treasure maps, even more so now that they are a bit shorter and give stones.

voodoo dog fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Mar 16, 2016

psivamp
Sep 6, 2011

grrarg posted:

Good to know.

Mylan posted:

I'm kinda worried about what they're going to do with pvp. I tried the Marvel Puzzle Quest game a while ago and hated how their pvp only really rewarded the top players (in other words, whales). I don't want to see a "rich get richer" situation develop here.

Yeah. I used this game to kick my addiction to MPQ, but never being able to get anywhere in PvP in that game was a decent factor as well.

I liked this games PvP model where for the first couple/few days of the week I do PvP to get up to max rewards and then feel free to farm souls in challenges or do the arena for the rest of the time.

Depends
May 6, 2006
no.

Grundulum posted:

I meant that I'd just collected all my gold within the last 5-10 minutes because I was on and playing, so there was nothing waiting for me to collect. I did have a good chunk of gold ready to spend but it was only a few thousand higher than during the previous attacks.

It was just odd, the gold I've had stolen in an attack has never gone over 300 no matter how much I had sitting uncollected or built up unspent but usually it's well under 100.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
This is my current "stomping everything" team:

(i'm not good with names)

Broken Spire hero dude getting off his damage buff early didn't help, but I managed to win this one.

I've since swapped 2nd and 3rd around, since her ability steal can buff her damage (it was 24 at the end of this fight IIRC) so she can do damage if Hydra falls.

4th place doesn't do much except give the kingdom synergy boost, and act as backup spread-damage dealer.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

I can't even remember the last time I faced a team that had single digit numbers for health, armor, and attack.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

SeaTard posted:

I can't even remember the last time I faced a team that had single digit numbers for health, armor, and attack.

Yeah. By comparison, look at this bullshit.

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012
What is that team? (edit: at zetsubou) As a new player I don't recognize the portraits yet. The last one looks familiar, at least.

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound

Oenis posted:

What is that team? (edit: at zetsubou) As a new player I don't recognize the portraits yet. The last one looks familiar, at least.

The important takeaways from that screenshot are the pale blue border around all the unites (fully ascended), and all but the last one is fully traited as well. It's probably a level 1000 or thereabouts player.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Oenis posted:

Zetsubou's team is Hydra (Wild Plains), Soothsayer (Wild Plains), Ghiralee (Adana), and Flame Cannon (Adana).

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!
I see a lot of players using Soothsayer, and don't quite understand why.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

gromdul posted:

I see a lot of players using Soothsayer, and don't quite understand why.

Increasing Magic is a good thing. Not worth a slot though. He seems okay, you can use his ability to get some good gem/skull matches and when traited he starts with full mana.

I like him in Arena but can't see using him anywhere else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
gently caress yeeeeeaaaaaaahhhhh finally got the last runic water traitstone i needed so now luther's skill adds 11 to everybody's attack :black101:

i still haven't even unlocked that last magic kingdom yet