Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mehall
Aug 27, 2010

I never spotted the -2 could only hit tapped artifacts. I saw it on creatures, but not artifacts.
That's awful!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
I just thought of another stupid plot twist that isn't happening: So all the vampires are also going crazy and killing each other, right? What's an unrelated clan of vampires backed up by an oldwalker who also happens to be completely insane?

The Sengir are making a power play to move in and take over Innistrad :kheldragar:

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

mandatory lesbian posted:

i'd say "because we don't know a majority of the cards in the set yet" BUT we already had instant speed (almost) vindicate spoiled so actually yeah, it's not gonna be played

There was always going to be removal in the set that could kill it. In general, I don't think people realize how good creatures that cost 5+, are cast fairly, and don't provide value on the turn they etb or be difficult to remove have to be. The last one was like Baneslayer Angel? You could make a case for Wolfir Silverheart but the soulbond gives some amount of hasty damage.

I don't think this dude is comparable to Baneslayer Angel.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Zoness posted:

In what way is it retroactive?

Wasn't that after the commander Nahiri planeswalker was revealed?

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Zoness posted:

In what way is it retroactive?

So it's retroactive vis-a-vis your headcanon?

They decided on the look for Nahiri because SFM busted open formats and everybody loved the art and kept bugging Creative about whether or not it was ~ the lithomancer ~

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Archenteron posted:

I just thought of another stupid plot twist that isn't happening: So all the vampires are also going crazy and killing each other, right? What's an unrelated clan of vampires backed up by an oldwalker who also happens to be completely insane?

The Sengir are making a power play to move in and take over Innistrad :kheldragar:

Which oldwalker is backing the Sengir?

Rinkles posted:

Wasn't that after the commander Nahiri planeswalker was revealed?

There was no question of what Nahiri's relationship was to SFM as a card until the former was revealed so any notion that they were the same entity could only have been an assumption.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Zoness posted:

Which oldwalker is backing the Sengir?

Ravi is Grandmother Sengir

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Zoness posted:

There was no question of what Nahiri's relationship was to SFM as a card until the former was revealed so any notion that they were the same entity could only have been an assumption.

I'm not arguing that they're the same entity?

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

dragon enthusiast posted:

They decided on the look for Nahiri because SFM busted open formats and everybody loved the art and kept bugging Creative about whether or not it was ~ the lithomancer ~

Right, but even if this is the case, Stoneforge Mystic is a generic identifier as opposed to specific, backed up by the card not being legendary (as opposed to Blind Seer, which could be generic sounding, but is also a legendary card). It seems to me that from the onset Stoneforge Mystics were a group of kor not a specific one and having Nahiri be a member of this group is consistent with this idea. It's not like they initially said "Nahiri was X" then said that "No wait, Nahiri is Y instead".

Archenteron posted:

Ravi is Grandmother Sengir

Oh man I forgot that, good point :v:.

Elyv posted:

I don't think this dude is comparable to Baneslayer Angel.
I'm still butthurt that you couldn't Halo Hunt a Baneslayer Angel.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

mehall posted:

I never spotted the -2 could only hit tapped artifacts. I saw it on creatures, but not artifacts.
That's awful!

I think that it wouldn't be fair to get to blow up a Jinxed Idol for free, that goes against the spirit of the card.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Rinkles posted:

I'm not arguing that they're the same entity?

Rinkles posted:

I like to think SFM was straight up Nahiri, without concerning myself with the lore implications.

:what:

Anyway the new nahiri looks sweet. I think the tapped restriction is going to be not that big of a deal and the other modes own.

And unlike narset (another high loyalty 2MN walker who despite results was probably at least worth consideration) her minus mode directly affects the board.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I said it was nonsense. I'm not "arguing" for it, and don't need convincing.

Your original question was about how the change was retroactive, and I see your point that the garb being linked to Nahiri through tradition was previously implicit. I think making it an explicit reference to her was unnecessary. Clear enough?

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Couldn't Nahiri have been a Stoneforge Mystic, and the picture just happened to be of her? Doesn't seem too difficult to resolve.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.
Maybe they just all look alike.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

To clarify," the Lithomancer" character was mentioned in Zendikar 1 but unnamed, and lithomancer literally means stone mystic.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Attorney at Funk posted:

Maybe they just all look alike.

All white kor look alike to me.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Il-Kor are the good ones.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Baron Porkface posted:

Il-Kor are the good ones.

Grevin Il-Vek Did Nothing Wrong.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully
Rather than replace lorechat, spoiler season seems to have amplified it e_e

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that

GeneX posted:

Sorin had created Avacyn, so it was a cruelty beyond imagining that it fell on him to end her forever.
vs.
Sorin had created Avacyn, so it was a cruelty beyond imagining, a pain beyond description, that it fell on him to end her forever.

It's subjective, sure, but the first one reads better to me

Plus, the second one needlessly gums up the reading by saying "This thing is impossible to describe. Well then, don't try!

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Jace is still in this set, by the way:

quote:

xraptor117 asked: How many planeswalkers do we get in this set ?

Four. : )

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

i like the new vindicate, but i'm disappointed that vindicate variants are always nonland these days. we need more hate cards to keep calciform pools in check.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

i like the new vindicate, but i'm disappointed that vindicate variants are always nonland these days. we need more hate cards to keep calciform pools in check.

No!!!

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Behold the Bull of Heaven!

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Hear hear!

Seriously though, if you're paying 3 mana in two different colors, and 3 life, I think at this point Wizards should just allow people to blow up someone's land. I know it's all "feel bads" and whatever other reasons they've given, but really - I think Standard and Modern can handle it.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
I think new Nahiri could do some fun things with Eldrazi displacer.

Also, lol at there being four planeswalkers in SOI: Your Pack Is Still A Lotto Ticket. If you aren't going to push sales with special rarity lands in every set, you've gotta do something, right?

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

:rimshot:

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I wonder if at any point during design that had Madness.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

Also, lol at there being four planeswalkers in SOI: Your Pack Is Still A Lotto Ticket. If you aren't going to push sales with special rarity lands in every set, you've gotta do something, right?
There will still be the same number of mythics overall though?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Irony Be My Shield posted:

There will still be the same number of mythics overall though?

There's gonna be more than 15. There's 297 cards in the set, and Innistrad 1 had 16 (and about 33 less cards) and they started adding more when they condensed sets.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Mar 14, 2016

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Jenx posted:

Seriously though, if you're paying 3 mana in two different colors, and 3 life, I think at this point Wizards should just allow people to blow up someone's land. I know it's all "feel bads" and whatever other reasons they've given, but really - I think Standard and Modern can handle it.

not limited, though

every deck in w/b will play not-vindicate already (and any deck in either color might very well consider splashing for the other half, because unconditional instant speed kill spells at 3 mana are way more than we get) and there's no reason it should also be an instant win on t3 if your opponent happens to have missed a land drop

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Also MTGS (lol) is convinced Maro is trolling them and that there aren't really four planeswalkers, and that its Arlinn twice for both of her sides + Sorin and Nahiri. The other prevailing theory is that he's trolling them by telling them the number of Planeswalkers that are on Innistrad as opposed to the ones that have a card.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Angry Grimace posted:

Also MTGS (lol) is convinced Maro is trolling them and that there aren't really four planeswalkers, and that its Arlinn twice for both of her sides + Sorin and Nahiri. The other prevailing theory is that he's trolling them by telling them the number of Planeswalkers that are on Innistrad as opposed to the ones that have a card.

Aren't there at least five planeswalkers on innistrad, though? Jace, Tamiyo, Sorin, Arlinn, and Nahiri?

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

It shouldn't matter much, since in print sets have a soft cap on their value, as the cost of a case is static(ish). The time prices get screwy is when you get a set with only a few valuable cards (see Magic Origins)

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

cheetah7071 posted:

Aren't there at least five planeswalkers on innistrad, though? Jace, Tamiyo, Sorin, Arlinn, and Nahiri?
EDM has Lili in the announcement, so at least 6

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Behold the Bull of Heaven!

UberJew posted:

not limited, though

every deck in w/b will play not-vindicate already (and any deck in either color might very well consider splashing for the other half, because unconditional instant speed kill spells at 3 mana are way more than we get) and there's no reason it should also be an instant win on t3 if your opponent happens to have missed a land drop

It's a rare, and it's going to be a bomb of a rare as it is already. Even if it doesn't off a land, every B/W limited deck that opens this is going to auto-include this anyway. Like I don't know how warped the format will have to be for a 3 mana "KILL STUFF DEAD" instant to not be played by the deck that's already in it's colors.

Basically, my argument is that this is already quite, quite powerful, so why not just go all the way with it?

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

I think increased number of planeswalkers makes sense, given the new power rangers story direction. They're going to have a bunch of main cast 'walkers get cards, since the story says they're all here and they're not getting their cards in core sets anymore. So if you keep the five-walkers-per-block cap, who do you cut? Does Nahiri, the set's villain, not get a card? Is Tamiyo, the moon-obsessed planeswalker last seen on this plane studying this plane's moon, not going to show up in the set about this plane's moon? Or do you cut Arlinn and resign yourself to never making new walkers again because there just isn't space?

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Jenx posted:

It's a rare, and it's going to be a bomb of a rare as it is already. Even if it doesn't off a land, every B/W limited deck that opens this is going to auto-include this anyway. Like I don't know how warped the format will have to be for a 3 mana "KILL STUFF DEAD" instant to not be played by the deck that's already in it's colors.

Basically, my argument is that this is already quite, quite powerful, so why not just go all the way with it?

Because it is already a bomb. It doesn't need to also grant free wins and since mana is getting much shittier when it comes in it would be too late to be a good tool for standard anyway.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Lottery of Babylon posted:

I think increased number of planeswalkers makes sense, given the new power rangers story direction. They're going to have a bunch of main cast 'walkers get cards, since the story says they're all here and they're not getting their cards in core sets anymore. So if you keep the five-walkers-per-block cap, who do you cut? Does Nahiri, the set's villain, not get a card? Is Tamiyo, the moon-obsessed planeswalker last seen on this plane studying this plane's moon, not going to show up in the set about this plane's moon? Or do you cut Arlinn and resign yourself to never making new walkers again because there just isn't space?

They've said that their intended strategy is to just sometimes not give every plot-relevant planeswalker a card, especially if they're a member of the Gatewatch and thus will show up in most blocks.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Every time there's a new Befoul variant pros talk about how it's rarely right to point your removal spell at their land because you're spending one of the best cards in your deck to maybe delay some of their cards instead of using it on their best card

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Elyv posted:

Every time there's a new Befoul variant pros talk about how it's rarely right to point your removal spell at their land because you're spending one of the best cards in your deck to maybe delay some of their cards instead of using it on their best card

Big difference between 3 mana and 4 and instant and sorcery here; if your opponent misses their second or third land drop in limited and you could respond by blowing up one of their lands on end step then untap and do literally anything the game is over.

Having to wait until 4 and do it on your turn is completely different.

e: of course back when vindicate was actually printed the second half of that formula wasn't guaranteed, your best options in common for creatures you could untap and cast would be 3 and 4 mana 2/2s

atelier morgan fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Mar 15, 2016

• Locked thread