Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Beard Yawn posted:

Nope, Brad just casually drops a pretty huge spoiler with no warning.

holy poo poo there are locations in dark souls 3? gently caress WHAT A SPOILER

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I HAVE TO USE MY SOUND SWORD NOW.
I don't want to speak for Beard Yawn, but it's likely he was only giving a heads up for people who care. It didn't read like he was criticizing the Bombcast guys.

Beard Yawn
Apr 11, 2011

You would make a good Dalek.

Toxxupation posted:

holy poo poo there are locations in dark souls 3? gently caress WHAT A SPOILER

Also there are weapons and armor.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

Yeah, this really took a turn. I'd prefer to know nothing about Dark Souls 3 before playing it, but accept the risks of consuming media that may spoil that without getting too upset. It was nice of Beard Yawn to call it out for people who care, but maybe not necessary for it to turn into a discussion encouraging euthanasia or assuming that he now has Brad's name on some sort of hit list.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Ramagamma posted:

Lol. Some people in the world don't have clean water to drink and some people are emotionally distraught from the revelation of a characters appearance in a video game. What a world we live in.

I knew who Keyser Soze was, I knew Bruce Willis was a ghost and I knew Aries died and I still enjoyed each respective media piece as much as I would with blissful ignorance. If your enjoyment of a narrative rests sorely in its mysterious-ness then it mustn't be difficult to keep yourself occupied.

Spoiler warning: life isn't a fairytale, we are all going to die.

Looks like we have a badass here.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

lol the spoiler is literally "I got to play a demo and it loaded me in (location)"

That might as well be comparable to getting mad about spoilers in trailers

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Srice posted:

lol the spoiler is literally "I got to play a demo and it loaded me in (location)"

That might as well be comparable to getting mad about spoilers in trailers

For the first time in my 29 years odd existence I was" spoiled" by a trailer the other week, at the cinema to watch deadpool and the trailer for the new Jungle Book came on, it made it pretty clear that King Louie is a bad guy when he chases after Mowgli.

Who cares though, that film looks incredible.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
(lmao if u listen to the bombcast anymore)

Hi, does Friends at the Table's audio issues smooth out over time? It's bummin' me out having Austin and most everyone else's audio tracks be more or less fine but one dude's sounding like he recorded it on his phone.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Bogart posted:

(lmao if u listen to the bombcast anymore)

lmao if you aren't sick of this atrocious thread

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Hakkesshu posted:

lmao if you aren't sick of this atrocious thread

The Milkman posted:

Please destroy this thread

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

The Milkman posted:

Please destroy this thread

I was asleep, I'll get right on that.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Sentence all slapfight havers to the worst punishment: Listening to that Sonic call-in episode of Retronauts on repeat.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

kirbysuperstar posted:

Sentence all slapfight havers to the worst punishment: Listening to that Sonic call-in episode of Retronauts on repeat.
A mod should have an embeddable version that ready for next time we lose our poo poo.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
It's sad seeing marsh leaving C & C he was very good. Also their latest episode name is fantastic. Also despite the name the czech sword fighting game sounds very interesting.

Pasco
Oct 2, 2010

Jippa posted:

It's sad seeing marsh leaving C & C he was very good. Also their latest episode name is fantastic. Also despite the name the czech sword fighting game sounds very interesting.

Yeah, I like Marsh.

On the plus side, Pip!

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

I finally got around to checking out VGHD and Retronauts and they're both so goddamn good. Digging into the backlog for both of the shows has been the sweetest treat from the podcast teat

Dr. Spitesworth
Dec 31, 2007
Yoink.

HolePisser1982 posted:

I finally got around to checking out VGHD and Retronauts and they're both so goddamn good. Digging into the backlog for both of the shows has been the sweetest treat from the podcast teat

Well I guess we have our new marketing tagline.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

HolePisser1982 posted:

I just got around to checking out VGHD and I immediately regret not getting into it sooner. I started going into the backlog, and in episode #222 - Steadicam, Zack completely caught me off-guard by calling something "an alarming piece of environmental story-telling" when coming across a bunch of Starburst candy wrappers in and around a tub of ranch dressing.

So. Good.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
That was an excellent idle thumbs. I totally agree about ubisoft games just being completely interchangeable now. Also the whole bridge cheats thing is hilarious.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Nick Breckon role-playing depression in Stardew Valley was the episode highlight for me.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

I just subscribed to idle thumbs because of this thread. If I like the bombcast and the crate and crowbar, then that would mean I've done a goodgreatbrilliantfantastic thing. I hope I'm right.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Cactus posted:

I just subscribed to idle thumbs because of this thread. If I like the bombcast and the crate and crowbar, then that would mean I've done a goodgreatbrilliantfantastic thing. I hope I'm right.

You'll love it.

Mind you, I'm crazy and I happen to think this is the best primer to Idle Thumbs: http://www.thisyearcollection.org/2011/10/18-idle-thumbs.html which is 360 minutes of stuff harvested from their earlier days. It's genuinely hilarious and contains the genesis of a lot of in-jokes and references that you'll not understand if you decide you like IT and listen to a few earlier episodes on your own.

Cast Iron Brick
Apr 24, 2008
My main method of finding gaming podcasts I like is by searching "What podcast does GamerGate hate?" And then subscribing to whatever they're mad about.

It's worked so far.

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach
I just started listening to idle thumbs again after a long break, how long has breckon been back? Since the ck2 stream I found I was less interested in the cast when he's not on to the point I fell off, and I've been devouring the last few episodes and they're great

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

Cactus posted:

You are probably correct. Video Games Hotdog is also worth checking out if you're not too burnt out on "what's new this week" style video games podcasts.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

ImPureAwesome posted:

I just started listening to idle thumbs again after a long break, how long has breckon been back? Since the ck2 stream I found I was less interested in the cast when he's not on to the point I fell off, and I've been devouring the last few episodes and they're great

Nick seems to be back full time which is great, but you never know what happens with work etc.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Lt. Frank Drebin posted:

You are probably correct. Video Games Hotdog is also worth checking out if you're not too burnt out on "what's new this week" style video games podcasts.

Jim is a national treasure.

Pasco
Oct 2, 2010

Idle Thumbs really is at it's best with Chris, Jake, and Nick. The other hosts that have come and gone over the years are by no means terrible, but it's hard to touch the chemistry of those three.

Podcast News for the presumptively eventual 2016 version of the thread: The PC Gamer UK Podcast is back!

This was the good PC Gamer podcast, which previously morphed into the unaffiliated Crate and Crowbar after PC Gamer decided they were getting out of the podcast business. Tom Senior is still on board, with three new British dudes (including the excellent Andy Kelly), so I have high hopes.

The Crate and Crowbar will continue, though now with increased competition in the lucrative "British people talk about PC games" market, and hopefully the American version of The PC Gamer Podcast will stay dead and buried.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Pasco posted:

hopefully the American version of The PC Gamer Podcast will stay dead and buried.

How come? Can Americans not talk about PC gaming as well as the british, or something? I find that hard to accept, being british and all self-depreciating and all that.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
I want so bad for Axe of the Blood God to be good, but between Kat being a lackluster host & bad opinion machine, and the awful production values I just can't enjoy it.

Pasco
Oct 2, 2010

Cactus posted:

How come? Can Americans not talk about PC gaming as well as the british, or something? I find that hard to accept, being british and all self-depreciating and all that.

In this specific case, no, they could not.

The American version of the PC Gamer Podcast was notoriously insufferable.

Robiben
Jul 19, 2006

Life is...weird
Want to give it up for Idle Thumbs, they put out a really lively and fun episode this week. The Far Cry Primal conversation where Jake lost it was great.

Edit: The last Bombcast was also pretty fun now that I think about it. Good episodes all around last week.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I really wanted to listen to the rpg podcast, but Kat Bailey is basically the opposite of engaging and I've heard better quality from phone skypes with half the background noise.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Tae posted:

I really wanted to listen to the rpg podcast, but Kat Bailey is basically the opposite of engaging and I've heard better quality from phone skypes with half the background noise.

Descriptive imagery, but what did she say and how did you disagree?

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Robiben posted:

Edit: The last Bombcast was also pretty fun now that I think about it. Good episodes all around last week.

Dan was gone but I'm sure that's a coincidence ;)

Pasco posted:

Idle Thumbs really is at it's best with Chris, Jake, and Nick. The other hosts that have come and gone over the years are by no means terrible, but it's hard to touch the chemistry of those three.

I really miss Sean.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Cactus posted:

Descriptive imagery, but what did she say and how did you disagree?

Her analysis boils down to hitting every single keyword in a word cloud on a given game. It's not that she's wrong or has bad opinions, it's more because it's just straight up boring, rote, and has as much depth as an inflatable kiddie pool.

On top of sounding like it's being recorded from inside of a trash can.

She's fine on Retronauts and other podcasts as a contributor, but she doesn't have the hosting chops, yet.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
There's also frequent "is this an rpg" chat, which is always pointless.

Robiben
Jul 19, 2006

Life is...weird

Szmitten posted:

Dan was gone but I'm sure that's a coincidence ;)

It is! Dan is cool and good. Generally he is the one bringing the energy. But I feel like this was a good Jeff Week.

VocalizePlayerDeath
Jan 29, 2009

mango sentinel posted:

I want so bad for Axe of the Blood God to be good, but between Kat being a lackluster host & bad opinion machine, and the awful production values I just can't enjoy it.

Intro music is too drat loud.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011
Gary and Kole were just saying the other day in the Titan Souls episode how none of the heavily "souls inspired" games have ever been any good, but I guess that's streak is finally over. Salt and Sanctuary is quite good and I think most everyone agrees.

• Locked thread