Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Watching the final round replay of the Honda Classic. I'm amazed at how many players don't shout our fore if their ball is heading for the crowd. poo poo's dangerous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Halo14 posted:

Watching the final round replay of the Honda Classic. I'm amazed at how many players don't shout our fore if their ball is heading for the crowd. poo poo's dangerous.

As far as most can hit it, I doubt they'd be heard anyway :v:

RESOLUTIONS/GOALS!

Spring is almost here so post your goals for the year and how you're gonna achieve them.

Break 80 - This is within striking distance. Good rounds will put me in the mid-80s. That should be achieved by:

Stop 3-putting - Woof. I need several short game lessons sometime. My pitching and chipping is OK, but man the putter has been an adventure. I've at least stopped revving myself up so much and it's rare now that I'll hammer it by the hole, so that's a start.

Stay out of my own head - I'm a terrible self-critic sometimes (aren't we all?) and I will chew myself out something fierce sometimes after a dumbass shot. I like playing solo rounds because it's a nice quiet time to myself but it also means by about hole 7 or 8 I'm starting to criticize almost every little thing I'm doing.

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

~boop boop beep motherfucker~
I find that the more I smile and the more I remind myself that golf is fun and my favorite thing to do in the world, the better I play, but maybe that's just me haha

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

EnsGDT posted:

I find that the more I smile and the more I remind myself that golf is fun and my favorite thing to do in the world, the better I play, but maybe that's just me haha

Yeah, I try to shake it off and say "ok cool, let's work on shots from the rough.... of the previous hole :v: " and that helps a bit, I just beat myself up a bit much at times.

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

DJExile posted:

Yeah, I try to shake it off and say "ok cool, let's work on shots from the rough.... of the previous hole :v: " and that helps a bit, I just beat myself up a bit much at times.

Some of my best shots come from the wrong fairway :D

The old dudes I play with HATE it when I hit a 200 yard 5-iron from the wrong fairway to the green to take their money, believe me.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

EnsGDT posted:

Some of my best shots come from the wrong fairway :D

hahahaha new thread title right here

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
Merely by being from the wrong fairway, even though it's a fairway, you're hitting from "trouble," which makes the shot more heroic!

Also having to dodge the teeshots of an oncoming group usually puts me in a better mindset.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION

Halo14 posted:

drat that's cruel. Have you had a hole-in-one before?

I have, and perhaps the circumstances of my only HIO are even more cruel.

I aced the toughest par 3 in the area almost 4 years ago.

It was my birthday.

And I was playing alone.

Nobody's ever really given me serious grief about it, but man it stings. I called my father from the tee box to keep him on the phone (didn't have FaceTime capabilities out in the sticks) until I got to the green to verify, and when I saw my ball in the hole, I looked up to see a single just walking on to the tee box. I shouted across the water, "I just made a hole in one, and NOBODY SAW IT!" He screamed, "I saw you pick your ball up while I was putting the flag in! Awesome!"

I made him sign my scorecard and all that, but I wish I had made an ace in front of some people for once.

Oh well, always the next round.

Edit:

Shrapnig posted:

You and Sergio, the nearly men.

:argh:

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I shot a 81 in our first tourney in January and followed it up with a 79 a few weeks ago with 28 putts (11.7 hcp) to win both events in our league of drunken misfits.

I then tweaked my wonky back the next day and followed it up with a 89, 91, and finally a 99 with 36 putts and 8 lost ball penalties. I was hitting tee shots all over the place but mostly into the woods/tall grass and there was no way to just "play through it."

I need to take 2 weeks off again and hope my back chills out before the next tourney. :smith:

I've never had a hole in one either but played with some rookie 26hcp dude nail one a few months ago. His tab at the clubhouse was $750.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

http://deadspin.com/golf-child-christens-tiger-woodss-new-course-with-a-hol-1762651732

Tiger Woods opened up a new course and played the opening round with some kids. One of them hit a goddamn ace on the first hole.

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

God dammit that owns so hard

UnionCarbide
Apr 17, 2005

D:

DJExile posted:

http://deadspin.com/golf-child-christens-tiger-woodss-new-course-with-a-hol-1762651732

Tiger Woods opened up a new course and played the opening round with some kids. One of them hit a goddamn ace on the first hole.

Edit: not just "some kid", but the very first shot taken on the course after opening.

The pitch 'n' putt 9 hole course I learned to play on (RIP Grayson Woods) was PACKED with kids that would regularly shoot under par, mostly due to the fact that they ran a very well attended golf summer camp every year.

UnionCarbide fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Mar 3, 2016

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I don't care if it's just a little par 3 pitch-and-putt, if I designed that and the very first drat shot on the course was an ace, by an 11 year old kid, I would immediately bulldoze it and start over. :v:

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF
That's pretty awesome. You're right though, if some kid aced the first hole, in the first round ever on the course, as the first person to open the round up I'd seriously rethink something. Although it looked like the green slopped right into the hole as long as you got it close enough.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah and with a name like "The Playgrounds" it's clearly meant to be a fun knock-around par-3 course. It's not the US Open on Sunday, but this kid still hit a one-in-a-million shot.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
So much for Scotty needing a long putter...

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Halo14 posted:

So much for Scotty needing a long putter...

He seems like a really streaky putter, with either the broom or the regular one. I remember last year he was pushing a ton of short putts with the broom and it was really obvious that something was off. Glad he is playing well now with the short one.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
What the hell, everyone's getting a Hole in One at the moment. This time it's Ricky Fowler

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1c0VJt6siPA

Via reddit:

quote:

Story is he was driving home, gets a call and goes over.
Borrows someone elses pitching wedge, borrows a ball, doesnt practice or warm up at all, he just sinks this.
loving awesome.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Courses are opening here in NY, basically a full month earlier than last year. I have a bit of a limp still and can't do too much without my ankle and heel getting sore but I got out and played 9 with my dad today. My games in better shape than I expected and even driver swings don't cause me any pain so that's reassuring. Gonna be a while before I'm walking 18 five or six days a week though.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Driving ranges will be opening this week if the weather stays even remotely close to what it is now. :canada:

Also please do good things DeLaet. Youre our last hope.

e: Im really digging the new bearded Graham DeLaet

Furnaceface fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Mar 12, 2016

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Hope the weather warms up soon for you guys. I play all year round here near Sydney. I can't wait for cooler weather.

Mate lent me this driver today

So light, 50g stiff shaft and it felt awesome. Really nice crunch off the face. Not as long as my R15 but more control. Might make him an offer...

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

That's not the standard paint scheme.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Josh Lyman posted:

That's not the standard paint scheme.

I noticed that too, specially the green going all the way around right?

If you do a search on Nike vapor driver you can find some that do that though.

I wonder if it's a special edition of some sort.

I found this on tgw.com

edit: Yup, special Volt edition http://www.golfgalaxy.com/p/nike-vapor-speed-driver---limited-edition-volt/15nikmvspdvltmrgddrv

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Had me worried for a second - thought he might have bought a knock off model. Yeah fluro green on top, looks nice.

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:
Got the good news a week ago: I'm joining a club! Good timing too. Last Saturday, I quit after 13 holes so I could say I finished my round in 4.5...

Really looking forward to it. The main clubhouse and 9-hole course are like 1.5 miles from where I work. They also have a full 18 (Settindown Creek) that's like 25 miles away and hard as hell.

Can't wait to sneak in 9 before work or get a little practice in during the week.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Omerta posted:

Got the good news a week ago: I'm joining a club! Good timing too. Last Saturday, I quit after 13 holes so I could say I finished my round in 4.5...

Really looking forward to it. The main clubhouse and 9-hole course are like 1.5 miles from where I work. They also have a full 18 (Settindown Creek) that's like 25 miles away and hard as hell.

Can't wait to sneak in 9 before work or get a little practice in during the week.

Grats :toot:

Also 4.5 to shoot 13 holy god I'd have asked for my greens fees back.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Wish me luck, put a bid in for Mizuno MP25 irons with Rifle 5.5 shafts. Currently $700. They're almost brand new. Ends tomorrow.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Wanted to play my first round since November today. Waffled between a course 75 minutes away that I've played twice and love vs 2 new courses 35 min away that might be crap.

Ended up booking at a new course 65 minutes away. :downs:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

The wind chill is 24 but dammit it's clear and sunny and I'm going to Sarasota in 4 days.

Let's get our practice round on :getin:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

A 40 through 9 with 3 pars and a birdie? Hell I'll take that.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Great win by Jason Day. Had to go to work with 2 holes remaining after he'd only got par on the 16th. Thought he hosed up but that was a great up and down on the last.

Won the auction on the Mizuno MP25s. I was the only bidder! Will cost me about ~$150 more to get thicker grips and 1" extensions but I'm happy with that.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

So my nike covert tour driver is getting a little long in the teeth and I decided to head up to the PGA superstore over the weekend to hit a couple of the new models and brought mine with me to compare. I had a free 30 minutes in their practice range anyways so it didn't cost me a penny.

I hit basically all the new models of drivers from Nike, Ping, Taylormade etc.

What I found was that I hit the new Vapor Fly Pro the best. I was easily averaging 10 yards farther with it vs my current driver. In fact, it was really the only new model driver that was giving me any more distance. They were all setup the same, XStiff shaft at 9.5 degrees. Nike wasn't kidding when they said this driver was longer than any of their previous ones. I was also swinging the Nike an average of 2mph faster than any of the other clubs. I was between 116-118mph with my current driver and I was hitting 118-120 with the new one. Needless to save I've begun the hunt to find a under MSRP Vapor fly pro to add to my bag! Can't stomach paying $400 for one quite yet.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

Have you hit the Vapor Pro? I know it's supposed to be a lot more forgiving than the Covert 1 and 2 Pros, I'm not sure how different the Vapor Fly Pro is though. I got my regular Vapor Pro with a X Stiff Whiteboard and new grip for $135 on golfwrx and other than some of the paint on the bottom starting to wear, can't even tell it had ever been hit. I've only used it for 9 holes so far but I'm liking it more than my Coverts. (And now that I've said that, it'll promptly turn to poo poo and I'll take it out of my bag in disgust for months).

Suprfli6 fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Mar 22, 2016

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Suprfli6 posted:

Have you hit the Vapor Pro? I know it's supposed to be a lot more forgiving than the Covert 1 and 2 Pros, I'm not sure how different the Vapor Fly Pro is though. I got my regular Vapor Pro with a X Stiff Whiteboard and new grip for $135 on golfwrx and other than some of the paint on the bottom starting to wear, can't even tell it had ever been hit. I've only used it for 9 holes so far but I'm liking it more than my Coverts. (And now that I've said that, it'll promptly turn to poo poo and I'll take it out of my bag in disgust for months).

No, and I actually found a vapor fly pro on ebay for $330 so hopefully it's here by the weekend :)

I did seriously consider the vapor pro before I found this one, but after reading some reviews saying that the fly has newer technology in it, I was having a had time pulling the trigger on it when I knew the fly was going to give me more distance vrs not knowing about the older vapor. I haven't bought a new driver in 3 years and it'll be nice to be on the newest technology for once. :)

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Won the auction. MP25s 4-PW with Rifle 5.5 shafts. $700.

Pretty much brand new - only 2 of them hit a couple of times and the rest are still shrink wrapped. They look real nice at address, top line not chunky and they look semi-blade.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Halo14 posted:

Pretty much brand new - only 2 of them hit a couple of times and the rest are still shrink wrapped. They look real nice at address, top line not chunky and they look semi-blade.

Those look neat as hell, congrats :toot:

E: Also I'm in FLorida and goddamn you all go get yourselves a Sun Mountain Clubglider. I'm going to keep singing this drat thing's praises until yall do.

BarDown
Jun 20, 2013

Peace among worlds
*burp*BITCHHHH*burp*
Congrats man! I have a similar Mizuno set and I love them. Hope you kill it this season with them.

On a side note. GOAL: Get to a single digit handicap this year. Currently a 11.4. It's all about that flat stick.

Halo14 posted:

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Welp,

Out with the old

You've given me a good almost 3 years

In with the new!

Took it out to the range for a quick session and it felt pretty drat good. No mishits only thing I was hitting it a little high on the face but that could be due to the lovely range I was at. Can't wait to get it out on a real course.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I haven't had a chance to hit any of the new drivers (M1, Vapor Fly, Ping G), but they all look pretty sexy.

Won't be upgrading from my 915D3, but you always wonder...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

mattfl posted:

Welp,

Out with the old

You've given me a good almost 3 years

In with the new!

Bing bling, may your drives be straight and long. Awesome.