Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Let's face it, Bernie only keeps him around because Danny makes him look tall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
DeVito missed a perfect opportunity to offer Bernie some Rum Ham.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Gonz posted:

DeVito missed a perfect opportunity to offer Bernie some Rum Ham.

Or perhaps an egg...these times are trying, after all

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Well if Bernie wins we'll all get half of someone else's Rum Ham.

Obstacle2
Dec 21, 2004
feels good man

pentyne posted:

It's amazing that a famous comedian from the 70s and 80s movies then faded away like so many others is now hugely popular among the 18-35 crowd due to playing a disgusting repulsive human being for 10 seasons.

He never stopped being in popular dramatic and comedy films, so I'm not sure how he faded away.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Obstacle2 posted:

He never stopped being in popular dramatic and comedy films, so I'm not sure how he faded away.

Yeah he was in Batman Returns as the most disgusting version of the Penguin ever.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Obstacle2 posted:

Don't forget he also directed some stuff. A very talented guy.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Rudoku posted:

Yeah he was in Batman Returns as the most disgusting version of the Penguin ever.

I think the Burton Penguin would fit right into Always Sunny. Who knows who Charlie's met, naked in the sewers, foraging for rings and coins?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Mameluke posted:

I think the Burton Penguin would fit right into Always Sunny. Who knows who Charlie's met, naked in the sewers, foraging for rings and coins?

He was pretty close when he was hosting Frank's little beauties

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Either Frank has been brainwashed or he suffered another traumatic brain injury cause it appears he's been turned into a liberal yahoo:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwZDhPt4i8E

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

pentyne posted:

It's amazing that a famous comedian from the 70s and 80s movies then faded away like so many others is now hugely popular among the 18-35 crowd due to playing a disgusting repulsive human being for 10 seasons.

From what I understand, he used some of the money he made back in the 70s and 80s to produce some indie movies. And since those indie movies include films like Reservoir Dogs, and Pulp Fiction, he now has a massive pile of FU money and he can do whatever he wants.

It's not that Devito has fallen on hard times and has to be on Sunny to pay the rent. Instead, he's mostly doing Sunny because he likes the show, and they're willing to work around his schedule. So Devito is pretty much a cool rich old guy keeping himself busy. Devito has an estimated net worth of around $70 million, so that might explain how good he is at playing a cool old rich guy slumming it because it's fun.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
He basically is like Frank in that he has a ton of money and not much time left on this Earth, and is getting real weird with it.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

thrakkorzog posted:

From what I understand, he used some of the money he made back in the 70s and 80s to produce some indie movies. And since those indie movies include films like Reservoir Dogs, and Pulp Fiction, he now has a massive pile of FU money and he can do whatever he wants.

It's not that Devito has fallen on hard times and has to be on Sunny to pay the rent. Instead, he's mostly doing Sunny because he likes the show, and they're willing to work around his schedule. So Devito is pretty much a cool rich old guy keeping himself busy. Devito has an estimated net worth of around $70 million, so that might explain how good he is at playing a cool old rich guy slumming it because it's fun.

Yeah, I think Devito just really loves acting and Frank seems like he'd be a really fun character to play.

Noctone posted:

He basically is like Frank in that he has a ton of money and not much time left on this Earth, and is getting real weird with it.

The more I think about it the more it seems like Devito is Frank irl, except he didn't make his money doing anything evil.

Devito is like Frank's good twin.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

thrakkorzog posted:

Also his wife has sweet cheers money

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
I love that Danny DeVito has more money than most of us will see in our entire lives and he spends his time posting pictures of his foot on social media

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

bobkatt013 posted:

Also his wife has sweet cheers money

I was going to say that I thought that Danny Devito and Rhea Perlman got divorced. But a bit of googling revealed they just separated for a bit, and now they're back together. So good for them, and their presumably dwarf sized offspring.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

thrakkorzog posted:

and now they're back together.

I didn't know that, that's pretty sweet. :3:

And yeah, Pearlman probably made a hell of a lot (and probably still does well from Syndication) from Cheers.

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009

id watch the poo poo out of this episode

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

TTBF posted:

I can't believe Mac owns a Cowboys jersey.

I can't believe he owns a Romo Cowboy jersey either. I'm a Cowboys fan and even I wouldn't be caught dead wearing a Romo Cowboys jersey.

Romo is not a very good quarterback. He is a good looking guy, I'll give him that, but he's a lousy QB.

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Mar 15, 2016

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

thrakkorzog posted:

I can't believe he owns a Romo Cowboy jersey either. I'm a Cowboys fan and even I wouldn't be caught dead wearing a Romo Cowboys jersey. Romo is not a very good quarterback.

Tony Romo is a very good quarterback I don't know how to break this to you.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007
[quote="Spoeank" post=""457452224"]
[/quote]

Romo sucks in clutch situations.

Sometimes he's the best QB in the NFL, at other times he's the worst. If Romo could bring his A game for more than two weeks in a row, then maybe the Cowboys could win back to back Superbowl championships again. Or at least some play-off games.

Instead, Romo tends to toss interceptions when he's off his game and facing a blitz, and when it really matters. Romo can't handle the D-line getting into his pocket.

Hell, My old betting strategy was to read tabloids about Romo dating Simpson. When they were a happy couple, I bet against the Cowboys, and when they were an an unhappy couple, I bet on the Cowboys. Maybe Romo might get his rear end in gear and win a few playoff games.

I'm a Cowboys fan, but I'm not going to leave free money on the table.

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Mar 15, 2016

Slightly Absurd
Mar 22, 2004

Spoeank posted:

Mac spotted ITT

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Spoeank posted:

Tony Romo is a good quarterback until December, then he's only mediocre. Come January he is a god awful quarterback. Hope that helps.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Re: Romo chat

Oi oi oi oi oi oi oi oi

Only if they promise to subtitle their reelection bid as "Electoral Boogaloo".

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

God Dammit Dutch!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsDLkDmzhJQ

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

I can't believe I, as a fan of the New York Football Giants, is about to say this, but you're out of your mind if you think Romo is a bad QB. An injury risk, certainly. But when he's healthy there aren't too many teams out there that wouldn't want to have him.

Play Cleveland style QB Russian roulette for a few years and see if you still think Romo sucks.

Also gently caress the Cowboys

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Tony Romo is a good quarterback until December, then he's only mediocre. Come January he is a god awful quarterback. Hope that helps.

That's assuming his glass body makes it to December.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

pentyne posted:

This is only true if you believe that starring in one of the biggest franchises of the 90s (Batman Returns) as well as appearing in a huge comedy (Junior) and a best picture nominated film like L.A. Confidential as well as producing films like Pulp Fiction, Garden State, and Erin Brockovich is "fading away".

Danny DeVito was at no point a forgotten actor/producer. I think this is due to his talent and the contributing factor that nobody else is like Danny DeVito. He's also always been well liked and well connected since the 70s too. He wasn't brought on to Sunny to revitalize his career: he was brought on to revitalize Sunny (whether the show needed that is up for debate, but it's turned out really well to be sure).

I also love the fact that even after all this the guy takes pictures of his foot for social media and hangs around backstage at Faith No More shows.

InfiniteZero fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Mar 15, 2016

obliriovrons
Jul 18, 2009

InfiniteZero posted:

Danny DeVito was at no point a forgotten actor/producer. I think this is due to his talent and the contributing factor that nobody else is like Danny DeVito. He's also always been well liked and well connected since the 70s too. He wasn't brought on to Sunny to revitalize his career: he was brought on to revitalize Sunny (whether the show needed that is up for debate, but it's turned out really well to be sure).

Well, more to revitalize its ratings. They did some interview awhile back where they talked about how they were really opposed to the idea, which makes sense if you think about it from the perspective of some young comedians not wanting some famous actor to come in and change your show around, but it's also funny because now we know how completely well he fits in with the rest of the show. Essentially they were given the choice of putting Devito on the show or the show was getting canceled, and we're all a lot better off for it.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
I think there might have been some gap in the early 00s and late 90s where Danny didn't appear in much popular media and that's why there are some younger Sunny fans who weren't very familiar with him until they got into the show cause personally as someone born in 1985 (and in a lovely faraway country) I've always known who Danny is and never considered him anything other than a huge celebrity.

There is no doubt though that through Sunny he did become much more popular among younger crowds. For that purpose I don't think that there's anything odd about, Sunny is hilarious and has a very strong cult following and Danny knocks it out of the park week in week out, why wouldn't people love the poo poo out of him? He's the man.

obliriovrons posted:

Well, more to revitalize its ratings. They did some interview awhile back where they talked about how they were really opposed to the idea, which makes sense if you think about it from the perspective of some young comedians not wanting some famous actor to come in and change your show around, but it's also funny because now we know how completely well he fits in with the rest of the show. Essentially they were given the choice of putting Devito on the show or the show was getting canceled, and we're all a lot better off for it.

I loved Charlie's quote on the subject where he said something like "If you can't make Danny funny you probably shouldn't be writing comedy"

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS

thrakkorzog posted:

I was going to say that I thought that Danny Devito and Rhea Perlman got divorced. But a bit of googling revealed they just separated for a bit, and now they're back together. So good for them, and their presumably dwarf sized offspring.

Reminder that Devito's daughter plays a waitress who Frank tries to bang in one of the early seasons.

Devito doesn't have a lot of recognizable things on his filmography post-2003, but dude's been prolific otherwise.

Secret Agent X23
May 11, 2005

Dave, this conversation can serve no purpose anymore.

emanresu tnuocca posted:

I loved Charlie's quote on the subject where he said something like "If you can't make Danny funny you probably shouldn't be writing comedy"

But it doesn't hurt that he seems to be willing to do just about anything.

(links probably aren't safe for work—or your lunch)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSJSWy2o_1I
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfDpY2l-TxA

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

obliriovrons posted:

That just reminds me of this bonus bit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEFPZWK4ElE

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Kwyndig posted:

That just reminds me of this bonus bit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEFPZWK4ElE

This is the clip that turned me on to the show. Hadn't seen a single episode before, knew instantly that it was amazing.

"Why is Fred Savage here?"
"Oh, I'm just here to watch!"

Oh Hell No
Oct 10, 2007

I've got the world on a string.

i am the bird posted:

Reminder that Devito's daughter plays a waitress who Frank tries to bang in one of the early seasons.

Devito doesn't have a lot of recognizable things on his filmography post-2003, but dude's been prolific otherwise.

Devito's pretty much in that Bill Murray stage of fame where he has enough money and connections to do whatever he wants.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
I just hope they hurry up and make "Triplets" before they all get too old. Has anyone heard anything lately about that? The last I heard news about it was ~ the middle of last year. After Always Sunny Twins is my favorite thing Devito has ever done so I've been looking forward to it for a while.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Murphy Brownback posted:

I just hope they hurry up and make "Triplets" before they all get too old. Has anyone heard anything lately about that? The last I heard news about it was ~ the middle of last year. After Always Sunny Twins is my favorite thing Devito has ever done so I've been looking forward to it for a while.

If you want to see more Danny Devito, check him out in Ruthless People, which is a seriously underrated film. It's an odd mix of film noir and comedy. Devito was also great on Taxi playing an rear end in a top hat.

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Mar 16, 2016

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Ruthless People is such a fun movie, it's got Judge Reinhold and Bette Midler because it was the 80s so OF COURSE it does.

The ending sequence with the two cops talking wistfully about how they hope to have as strong a marriage as DeVito and Midler do while in the background she's literally killing him is outstanding.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

The biggest thing he's been in other than Sunny in like the last 20 years is being mentioned in Mean Girls

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

drunken officeparty posted:

The biggest thing he's been in other than Sunny in like the last 20 years is being mentioned in Mean Girls

LA Confidential. :colbert: