Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011

canyoneer posted:

I decided to have children because I need someone to inherit my lands and titles, as well as avenge me if I am slain in battle.

At least back then that made a lot more sense than how a lot of people rationalize it today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

CelestialScribe posted:

I know someone who does this. He refuses to save anything for retirement because his children will look after him and his wife.

What kind of lovely person does that?

billions of asians

It's a cultural thing so things get messy when people migrate to the west.

If your friend is white though then he's just a dick yeah.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

canyoneer posted:

I decided to have children because I need someone to inherit my lands and titles, as well as avenge me if I am slain in battle.

just switch to elective (or tanistry) and you can take advantage of genius distant cousins

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

the talent deficit posted:

just switch to elective (or tanistry) and you can take advantage of genius distant cousins

I am enjoying this CK2 leak into the BWM thread and fully endorse it.

Zo posted:

billions of asians

It's a cultural thing so things get messy when people migrate to the west.

Or they get guilted/shamed into never leaving and following their dreams. :smith:

Pompous Rhombus fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Mar 15, 2016

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.
This post has a few things on my BWM bing card - trucks, Canadian oil and tradies making bank having to come to terms with their reduced circumstances.

My boyfriend and I live in an area that is in a bad recession. He will not leave. What do I do? [26F, 31M]

quote:

Five years ago I came to Canada (Alberta) for a school program. It was during that time when oil prices were very good and workers are scarce. I found a good job and my company was nice to sponsor my work visa AND permanent residence.

I also met my boyfriend Tom and we have dated for 3 years. I live with Tom for 1.5 year. He is from another province and moved to Alberta to make money in oil. He was making $125,000/year. We live in a town with no other industry.

I do not know if you follow the oil industry, but it has been in a terrible recession for over year now. He lost his job in October 2015 and I lost mine in December. He gets employment insurance but it is not enough so he is taking money from his pension now. I have very small expenses so my savings are enough for now but I am not living in "luxury".

I said that we should leave Ft. McMurray and move to somewhere with more jobs. He does not want to go because he "can only make money like this in Alberta". But, there is no money anymore! He is not making any money and it is getting worse. Any money he saved is gone now. He is convince it will be better by the end of this year.

He has family in Ontario who say that we can stay for free with them while we get jobs. I said this sounded like a good opportunity, and he did not want to go because "Ontario wages are terrible and taxes are higher". He applied for one job there, but did not get it. So that is out.

I said that we can not sit and not work. I said if we stay in Alberta we have to go to major city so next time oil drops we will not be unemployed. He does not want to live in a city, but was willing to live "outside of the city" but so I could drive to work. But this can not happen until he sell his house, which he said he would.

He offered to sell the house BUT he wanted to list it for $40,000 more than he paid. The estate agent said it would not sell, and the house beside us is on sale for $60,000 less than. So he is doing renovations to improve the selling price so he can make a profit.

I asked him what solution he wants. He suggested that we move to North West Territory because there is job that I can do and he can fly to Ft. McMurray (where we are now) for work. I said okay and have been looking at work, but again there is nothing for him to do in Ft. McMurray right now.

I am very frustrated. I know that going backward is hard but he will not be making $100,000+ anymore while the economy is like now. He does not seem to understand this and is waiting for a job instead of being proactive. I do not think he is being realistic. He could go to Ontario and find a job that pay $60,000 or more with his skill, but it is not enough. Only Alberta wages are enough for him but are not here anymore. I just got my permanent residence and I want to work.

Am I wrong? What should we do? I have been unemployed for months because I can not find any job where we live and the closest city is 4 hour away. I can only think of a few solution: 1. wait for the economy to come back 2. move without him 3. move to NWT with him but him not work for a bit.

tl;dr

Me and my boyfriend live in Alberta. He came from Ontario to go work in oil. I came from Slovenia to go to school and got a job to sponsor my visa.

We get laid off because of the economy. I ask him to move somewhere with jobs.

He is waiting for oil to return so he can make the same money he was before. He does not want to move or look for lower paying job. He does not want to leave the industry.

What do I do? Should I tell him that he is being unrealistic (is he?). Do I move without him?

One person in the comments couldn't understand how he has no savings. Oh boy...

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

quote:

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/4ae3sm/bought_a_house_unexpected_costly_maintenance_and/

So I bought a house because I was tired of apartment living and thought I was ready for the responsibility. I was very arrogant. I'm a single 29 year old in a city where I have no family, just some good friends and a decent job.
My inspection came back pretty clean - a few "old-house" issues but nothing major...so I thought. Fast forward 6 weeks and I happily signed the closing documents with maybe a hint of trepidation.
The inspector had told me I probably have 10 years left on the roof. However, after moving in and cleaning up the gutters, I doubted his estimate. I've called a few roofers out and the consensus is that the roof won't last through another winter. Quotes have been about $6,000.
The inspector also told me that outlet receptacles are ungrounded but grounded at the box - an easy quick fix for an electrician. Turns out that many of the outlets had no grounding in the box and of the ones that did, the ground wasn't connected back to the breaker. It will be a few thousand to fix.
At this point, I'm really frustrated, and I'm not even sure I like the house at this point. I feel like I'm just going to be sinking money into this thing.
My anxiety, which is difficult in the best of times, is at an all time high. I've lost a ton of sleep over these issues, besides all the other projects I want to accomplish. I'm struggling at work. I can only think about what can go wrong next. I feel lonely because I have no one to help me sort through these issues. I miss my apartment in the city, and I'm realizing maybe home ownership is not for me.
It's only been about a month. I want to give it more time, but I'm thinking I'll want to list by the end of the year. Should I invest in these more costly repairs and the try to sell? Or should I cut my losses to date and re-list sooner? I haven't done much yet except paint and buy some furniture.
Sorry if I didn't make very much sense. I haven't slept well.
Thanks in advance for any advice.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

froglet posted:

This post has a few things on my BWM bing card - trucks, Canadian oil and tradies making bank having to come to terms with their reduced circumstances.

My boyfriend and I live in an area that is in a bad recession. He will not leave. What do I do? [26F, 31M]

One person in the comments couldn't understand how he has no savings. Oh boy...

There was a farmer in the Song Kingdom in ancient China. He worked in his field day after day. In good harvest years, he could only have enough food to eat and enough clothing to wear. If the field failed to produce enough crops, he had to go hungry. This farmer wanted to improve his life. But he was too lazy and too cowardly. He always dreamed of having unexpected fortune.

A miracle took place at last. One day, when he worked in the field, some people were hunting nearby. They shouted loudly one after another. Some little animals were running desperately. Suddenly, a hare dashed itself headlong against the stump of a dead tree in his field and died.

That day, he had a good meal.

From that day on, he no longer worked in his field. From morning till night, he stayed by that miraculous stump, waiting for another hare. Will the miracle happen again?

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Hahaha, a mere ten grand in repairs and he's already freaking out.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

slap me silly posted:

I wouldn't be surprised to hear that he doesn't make much to begin with.

There's no way he anticipated having to make repairs on a new purchase of an old house, which I can't decide if I should be laughing or crying about.

Apprentice Dick
Dec 1, 2009

Renegret posted:

I wouldn't be surprised to hear that he doesn't make much to begin with.

There's no way he anticipated having to make repairs on a new purchase of an old house, which I can't decide if I should be laughing or crying about.

I knew a friend of a friend who bought a house and went without heat and running water for 6 months because he couldn't afford propane for the furnace and a pipe burst when it got cold. Apparently when they did a credit check they looked up his dad by mistake. His dad is an environmental engineer who makes what I would assume to be pretty good money, while the home buyer makes ~40k a year and bought a 100k house without understanding what the basics like PMI and escrow were.

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

Apprentice Dick posted:

I knew a friend of a friend who bought a house and went without heat and running water for 6 months because he couldn't afford propane for the furnace and a pipe burst when it got cold. Apparently when they did a credit check they looked up his dad by mistake. His dad is an environmental engineer who makes what I would assume to be pretty good money, while the home buyer makes ~40k a year and bought a 100k house without understanding what the basics like PMI and escrow were.

Assume its not in a bad state of repair (before that guy got inside) 100k of house for 40k of income seems an ok amount to buy.

Apprentice Dick
Dec 1, 2009

Cast_No_Shadow posted:

Assume its not in a bad state of repair (before that guy got inside) 100k of house for 40k of income seems an ok amount to buy.

Sorry I posted in a hurry this morning, I forgot to mention that the whole place hasn't had an update since probably the 60's or 70's and they discovered when redoing the living room that there was no insulation in the walls. Worst case is that none of the walls are properly insulated, but I haven't talked to him to see what other stuff they have found since then. Realistically a nice up to date house in the area is only around 125k.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

slap me silly posted:

The biggest chunk of that is for a roof he thinks needs to be replaced that the inspector specifically said was good past Trump's second term.

The electrical issue is probably serious though. At the very least he'll never be able to sell the house without that fixed.

tumblr hype man
Jul 29, 2008

nice meltdown
Slippery Tilde

Apprentice Dick posted:

Who the gently caress underwrote that loan, that is some baby town frolics poo poo to miss. Maybe I'm just way more detail oriented than most underwriters, but what the gently caress.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

slap me silly posted:

Calling roofing companies and asking them if you need a new roof isn't exactly the best way to get an unbiased opinion. The lack of grounded outlets is not great, but I'm guessing since the house hasn't burned down yet he'd probably be fine kicking the can down the road.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

n8r posted:

Calling roofing companies and asking them if you need a new roof isn't exactly the best way to get an unbiased opinion. The lack of grounded outlets is not great, but I'm guessing since the house hasn't burned down yet he'd probably be fine kicking the can down the road.

Except if he knows about it, his insurance may not cover in the case of fire, which also probably puts him offside with the terms of his mortgage. We found some...non-obvious knob & tube when we bought our last place, and had to scramble to get it fixed and re-insured in 60 days.

Golluk
Oct 22, 2008

n8r posted:

My understanding is the ground is less of a fire hazard issue, and more of a not shock the hell out of you if the thing you plugged in has conductive surfaces and a hot wire breaks loose. less of an issue IMO with most things being made of plastic. Circuit breakers/fuses are more the fire protection. Even then then, 120 VAC won't do much unless you're also touching something decently grounded (like a sink or faucet). It's all about not being an ideal path for the current.

I feel like you'd want at least an extra 5-10% on top of your 20% down payment just for hidden repairs and general moving in costs. But then I'm also not the type to think getting myself into monthly payments, for 10's of years, that I can barely afford is a good idea.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

Subjunctive posted:

Except if he knows about it, his insurance may not cover in the case of fire, which also probably puts him offside with the terms of his mortgage. We found some...non-obvious knob & tube when we bought our last place, and had to scramble to get it fixed and re-insured in 60 days.

I doubt that is the case at all. A roof passing inspection is part of a lot of home loans. The inspector said it has 10 years, and it doesn't sound like a specific inspection of the roof was called for - which is what usually happens on roofs that are near the end of their life. It looks like some of the replies in the thread are saying hire an independent inspector which is the right course of action. Knob and tube is a different deal, and yes that can definitely be hard to insure. All of this being said, going out to people that are looking to sell you things like roofs and electrical work are not the best people to get unbiased opinions on whether or not the work is critical.

Golluk
Oct 22, 2008
Wow, this one was so obvious, even the redditors pounced on it.

https://www.reddit.com/r/PersonalFinanceCanada/comments/4al9ph/seriously_struggling_with_money/

Reddit posted:

I've found this subreddit recently and I've had a good time reading. I thought I'd write for some money advice because I'm just struggling to stay afloat. I have a decent job but the money just seems to go so fast. Here is the breakdown of my last month, for example:
Income: $3150 net
Expenses:
Mortgage: 860
Utilities: 275
Municipal tax contributions: 200
Home insurance: 95
Personal loan: 100
Car insurance: 70
Girlfriend's fixed costs (car, smokes, insurance, etc): 600
Cell phones (2): 80
Internet: 60
Groceries: ~450
Gas: 150
Movie date (I know, I know, bad spending): 30
Net: should be around 180, which I paid towards credit card debt.
As you can see, there is no room for any savings, and extra costs are starting to pop up.

Girlfriend is making and contributing 500 bucks to the monthly budget while going through school, but spending almost half of that, ~225 a month, on smokes. But at least she cut back from 300!

Golluk fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Mar 16, 2016

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Golluk posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/PersonalFinanceCanada/comments/4al9ph/seriously_struggling_with_money/

Girlfriend is making and contributing 500 bucks to the monthly budget while going through school, but spending almost half of that, ~225 a month, on smokes. But at least she cut back from 300!

Golluk posted:

People always give budgets when they should be giving expense breakdowns. Looks like they need more income, not much to cut. Girlfriend should be able to pull-in more than $500 a month at a part time or evening job.

But take home message is that they have a mortgage and additional debts with insufficient income. Mortgages are not for students.

cowofwar fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Mar 16, 2016

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

Small but mini update on the BWM truck guy I've mentioned a few times in the past (that people may or may not remember):

A few months back my friend told me that, even though it has a back-up camera, the dude backed his truck into a pole and shattered one of the rear light fixtures. He apparently still hasn't replaced the fixture because he/his wife still "can't afford the fixture for the 2016 Tacoma," which he has to buy because it's a new design.

So other than maybe getting a pointless ticket for a broken rear light, what's the BWM of this one? The dude and his wife are apparently also considering traveling to Thailand this summer to visit family and they've already purchased passports. If they can't afford Thailand, they're probably going to visit Mexico instead. I'm pretty sure they already received their passports, too. Love it.

Can't afford a new rear light fixture, can afford a trip for two to Thailand.

Senf fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Mar 16, 2016

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

n8r posted:

I doubt that is the case at all. A roof passing inspection is part of a lot of home loans. The inspector said it has 10 years, and it doesn't sound like a specific inspection of the roof was called for - which is what usually happens on roofs that are near the end of their life.

Yeah, I was talking about the electrical situation, not the roof.

Tea.EarlGrey.Hot.
Mar 3, 2007

"I'd like to get my hands on that fellow Earl Grey and tell him a thing or two about tea leaves."
http://www.vice.com/read/millennial-debt-across-europe-north-america-australia

I read the title of this article thinking, "Cool, something to show boomers when they give me poo poo," but some of the people they interviewed are just mortifying.

quote:

I graduated from Ryerson last year, and I left with little debt. A few thousand dollars or so, but it's all paid off now. The problem wasn't my student debt (my parents helped me out a lot during school), but rather what awaited me after graduation: no jobs in my field. When I was going through university, I was super optimistic. I figured I'd be one of those people who would go through the program, get a good internship, and then land a dope job. I was wrong.

I currently work around ten hours a week as a hostess at a bar. Back during the holidays, I used to get 30 hours, but I got cut down this year. Now my budget is tight. In fact, this is the first time in my life where I've really been living from check to check, and it's kind of weird: $1,000 [$750 USD] a month to get by on rent and groceries, $50 [$37 USD] for coffee and weed, another $100 [$75 USD] for my phone bill. If there's one thing I really rely on to relax, it's weed, and that's saying a lot considering I only spend about $20 [$15 USD] on it a month.

Overall, it's a really lovely lifestyle—this industry in particular is not for me. People who can do a nine to five, Monday to Friday, and still do their own stuff on top are super-humans. I'm not only unmotivated to get a new job, but I'm also drained creatively. The current economy, the way it's built, makes people docile. You lose your drive because you get into this routine where you feel you can't get away from your responsibilities, or your debt, or take risks. Ideally—and I mean best-case scenario—I'd like to get high and edit people's YouTube videos into feature films for a living. Until then, I'm just going to keep it moving.

The struggle is real.

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

Yeah, I hate perpetuating the "Millenials are just lazy special snowflakes" narrative but I do boggle at the people who complain about not having a job or enough work and then say they're unwilling to work a 9 to 5 (or in the service industry) because they're too good for it.

It's like people who complain that there's nowhere to live and it turns out they're only interested in one-bedrooms that allow dogs and are in a nice neighborhood close to public transit.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Tea.EarlGrey.Hot. posted:

http://www.vice.com/read/millennial-debt-across-europe-north-america-australia

I read the title of this article thinking, "Cool, something to show boomers when they give me poo poo," but some of the people they interviewed are just mortifying.

The struggle is real.

Well at least the Australian guy makes us sound normal.

antiga
Jan 16, 2013

Senf posted:

Small but mini update on the BWM truck guy I've mentioned a few times in the past (that people may or may not remember):

Can't afford a new rear light fixture, can afford a trip for two to Thailand.

This is great. Trade in the truck for a 2017 that comes with free taillights.

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

Horking Delight posted:

Yeah, I hate perpetuating the "Millenials are just lazy special snowflakes" narrative but I do boggle at the people who complain about not having a job or enough work and then say they're unwilling to work a 9 to 5 (or in the service industry) because they're too good for it.

It's like people who complain that there's nowhere to live and it turns out they're only interested in one-bedrooms that allow dogs and are in a nice neighborhood close to public transit.

Don't know how much I buy it but read an interesting take on this a while back. Boomers grew up and worked in a world where you could work, have a stay at home spouse, save for retirement and buy a house. Even if its a job you hate its still worth doing. The next generation lost some of that, the stay at home spouse became harder to do for instance but if you stuck it out and worked a little harder you would probably do alright. The millenial genration have lost this, or most of them have anyway so why work a job you hate when it doesn't get you any further in life?

Like i said not sure I buy into that but a different view to what I normally here. Also most 'millenials do x' is bullshit anyway and statistically your parents and their parents and their parents did the exact same poo poo just in the context of their own timeframe.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Horking Delight posted:

This is not novel to millenials.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.
Maybe there's this centuries old myth that the next generation is always worse than the previous generation.

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

Subjunctive posted:

This is not novel to millenials.

I agree, which is why I hate perpetuating the narrative that it is.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Cast_No_Shadow posted:

Don't know how much I buy it but read an interesting take on this a while back. Boomers grew up and worked in a world where you could work, have a stay at home spouse, save for retirement and buy a house. Even if its a job you hate its still worth doing. The next generation lost some of that, the stay at home spouse became harder to do for instance but if you stuck it out and worked a little harder you would probably do alright. The millenial genration have lost this, or most of them have anyway so why work a job you hate when it doesn't get you any further in life?

Like i said not sure I buy into that but a different view to what I normally here. Also most 'millenials do x' is bullshit anyway and statistically your parents and their parents and their parents did the exact same poo poo just in the context of their own timeframe.

Did Boomers have stay at home spouses? I thought that was more a Greatest Generation thing.

There are always going to be couples who sacrifice enough/make enough for one to stay home, but Boomers were the first generation where families became majority dual income.

But you're right about retirement. Pensions, Social Security, and 401ks at the same time. Those were the real good old days.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Blinkman987 posted:

Maybe there's this centuries old myth that the next generation is always worse than the previous generation.

It's much older than centuries. There's a quote by Socrates bitching about "kids these days" that reads like he's talking about millennials.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

I don't think I'm being too much of a crotchety fogey by saying that anyone who needs to be able to get high while working needs a serious reality check

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Nail Rat posted:

It's much older than centuries. There's a quote by Socrates bitching about "kids these days" that reads like he's talking about millennials.

Yeah, but Greece would start it's decline when many of those kids were old and presumably in charge. So he might have been right.

tumblr hype man
Jul 29, 2008

nice meltdown
Slippery Tilde

Nail Rat posted:

The children now love luxury. They have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise.

It's all I can ever think about when I hear old people bitching about kids these days.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Krispy Kareem posted:

Yeah, but Greece would start it's decline when many of those kids were old and presumably in charge. So he might have been right.

"Greece" was definitely not a thing at that point.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
I may just be a crotchety old man of 32, but I'm unapologetically on the "gently caress millennials" train.

CortezFantastic
Aug 10, 2003

I SEE DEMONS
https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/4asa10/33000_in_debt_with_nothing_to_show_for_it/

quote:

I am looking for some advice about my family's financial situation. We have $27,000 in credit card debt and owe $6,000 in taxes. Really want to do something about the situation.

Married, 3 children, we just had a baby and my husband has been home helping me (without pay). We have a newborn, a 2 year old, and a 4 year old. The two older children have been sick, 2 year old was in hospital, and doctor says keep older children and newborn separate from one another to avoid our newborn getting sick. I am a stay at home mother. But my husband has been home helping me look after the older children while I've been recovering postpartum and with it being difficult to care for all 3 at once when the older 2 can't be around our new baby. We are living off credit cards right now.

10 years ago we had substantial debt ($16,000) and paid it all off within a little over a year by living in crappy basement apartments and eating pasta and beans. I feel that we can't do the same strategy when now we have children to look after.

We were debt free and frugal until 2 years ago. We had lots of problems with apartments we rented and ended up having to move many times, which was pricey. With moving expenses, new babies, and chaotic times of having to eat take-out food we racked up credit card debt pretty quickly. We got an old car for cheap but ended up spending lots on repairs and eventually had to replace it with a better car. We have had times of unemployment and injury and having to live off credit cards. My husband drove without insurance in a desperate time, was caught, and got not only a huge fine but also a high monthly car insurance rate now. We overspent on some things we shouldn't have (new furniture, birth doula, some others).

We still have good credit. We are low income but manage without any social assistance and do not want to get it. We don't own a home yet and are still renting.

Right now we are both at home with no income. We are a homeschooling family and I stay home to take care of the children (with the cost of daycare, plus formula if I didn't breastfeed, plus transportation, it wouldn't be worth it for me to work regardless). My husband wants to return to work but they say that they "might not need him yet" whatever that means, and he just hurt his knee and might not be able to return right away regardless. When he does return there, our monthly income is around $3900 (after taxes). Our monthly expenses are around $3700, not including credit card interest. He plans to work overtime which could get us around $4800 (after taxes) if he worked the maximum he could (60 hours weekly).

He used to be self-employed and was not eligible for paternity leave. He was not at his current job for long before he took time off and I don't think they are required to take him back, and may not even take him back if they don't want to. He is not eligible for EI because he spent most of the year self-employed. So the situation is not very good for us right now. We are just living off credit cards and keep doing cash advances to pay our expenses. On top of it we owe $6000 in taxes which we can't pay. We have only $641 in the bank right now. We kept saying we would try to be more frugal, and pay off the debt, but it just kept growing and growing. Our limit for all of our credit cards combined is $45,000. I just applied to increase my limit for one of my cards and I was rejected. I have one credit card with 10% interest. Our others are all 20%.

I plan to stop getting takeout food now and go back to cooking from scratch and being more frugal. Is it worth it to invest more in a deep freezer to be able to save money long term? Cloth diapers? Or are those things not worth it with the upfront costs? What else can we do to pay this off?

Our rent is $1750 (which is typical for our area), utilities $214, groceries ~$700-800, gas ~$200, car payments $132, car insurance $500, cell phones $72, and internet $40 (we are going to cancel internet). Then there are always miscellaneous things.

That is a detailed account of our current situation. Thank you for reading. If you have any advice for me, it would be greatly appreciated.

sweet jesus what a shitshow

CortezFantastic fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Mar 17, 2016

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Jesus loving christ. If you're having trouble paying for you and your kids, stop having more kids. What the gently caress.

edit: looks like you pasted the wrong link accidentally, here's the link to the one you quoted. https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/4asa10/33000_in_debt_with_nothing_to_show_for_it/

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Mar 17, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Uh. They're hosed. They might as well run up as much credit as possible because that's a guaranteed bankruptcy case.

• Locked thread