Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

rodbeard posted:

Could you guys at least say what the song is you're mishearing. Some of you are so far off that I can't tell

Ok.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
I kissed this guy

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Yes I'm Pooh Bear
Yes I'm Pooh Bear
Old tin lizzy
do it till you're dizzy

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

syscall girl posted:

I kissed this guy

Squeeze me...

hungry for crepes n shit
Aug 17, 2005

syscall girl posted:

Don't feel too bad. It took me like 10 years to figure out England Dan & John Ford Coley's I'd Really Love To See You Tonight's lyrics were "I'm not talking 'bout moving in
And I don't want to change your life
But there's a warm wind blowing
The stars are out and I'd really love to see you tonight"

Old dorky song I guess but I could not figure out "'bout moving in" for the life of me.

Misheard Lyrics:
"I not talking about the linen."
Original Lyrics:
"I'm not talking 'bout moving in"

Some singers are just bad at enunciating, is my excuse.

I totally thought that was what he was singing too. Thank god I'm not alone.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.

FELD1 posted:

Smash Mouth's lead singer is really bad at enunciating though, such that I always thought the line "field heat sneakin' up on me" in "Come on, Come on" was "Bill Gates sneakin' up on me."

To clear mine up (though I thought it was clear), I was referencing the song "Come on Come on" by Smash Mouth. Just in case. I don't really know when to use quotations marks correctly.

I agree though, it seems like a lot of people are just posting non-sense or out of context lyrics.

Tad Naff
Jul 8, 2004

I told you you'd be sorry buying an emoticon, but no, you were hung over. Well look at you now. It's not catching on at all!
:backtowork:
Forever Man, by I think Eric Clapton or some band of his anyways.

Also to this day my sister gives me grief about "mediaeval woman" (evil woman) by my best guess is ELO

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Sharpe posted:

I totally thought that was what he was singing too. Thank god I'm not alone.

I hate that song so much, almost as much as Saturday in the Park--just the quintessential grocery store muzak. The words there don't fit the meter at all, which is probably why no one can understand what he's singing.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDf0j3SEseU

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

FELD1 posted:

I thought "Walkin' on the Sun" was a cover for some reason. Just learned that it's not.

Smash Mouth's lead singer is really bad at enunciating though, such that I always thought the line "field heat sneakin' up on me" in "Come on, Come on" was "Bill Gates sneakin' up on me."

I will never stop listening to Smash Mouth.

Stuff I can't believe I just figured out: Smash Mouth made more than one song.

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

OH MY GOD THERES A WHOLE OTHER THREAD FOR MISHEARD SONG LYRICS. NO ONE CARES WHERE YOU WERE THE FIRST TIME YOU MISHEARD THIS PARTICULAR SONG.

content: until I was eight, I pronounced "rabies" like the multiple of "rabbi."

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

QuelleFuck posted:

Until I was in my late 20s, I pronounced caste, as in the social class, with the same vowel as "case". It's pronounced like "cast", without an e, because it's some latinate bullshit term that breaks the English silent-e rules for no good reason. :argh:

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

QuelleFuck posted:

I could pronounce rabies just fine, but I was in high school before I was able to sort out that rabid had a different vowel sound at the beginning, and was not actually pronounced like ray-bid.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Not to ruin everyone's good time, but isn't this conversation why this thread exists?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3754794

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Geniasis posted:

Not to ruin everyone's good time, but isn't this conversation why this thread exists?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3754794

Nice!

I just didn't know it existed.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

FELD1 posted:

I thought "Walkin' on the Sun" was a cover for some reason. Just learned that it's not.

Maybe not a cover but the organ riff is basically straight copied from Swan's Splashdown by Perrey & Kingsley.

porkswordonboard
Aug 27, 2007
You should get that looked at

foobardog posted:

Until I was in my late 20s, I pronounced caste, as in the social class, with the same vowel as "case". It's pronounced like "cast", without an e, because it's some latinate bullshit term that breaks the English silent-e rules for no good reason. :argh:

Fuuuuuuck. Thanks man.

Contribution: I have always pronounced "susurration/susurrus" (which my computer doesn't even recognize as a word ???) as "sursurration." A friend pointed it out and reminded me that reading fast isn't always great when it comes to actually saying the word out loud.

See also: Detritus, which I always said as "detrius," ignoring the second T completely :downs:

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling

Someone Awful! posted:

:psyduck:

I thought pigeons and doves were the same family of bird

They are. They're both Columbidae. The only difference is that pigeons are usually larger and doves are usually smaller. The reason white doves are actually pigeons is that all domestic pigeon descend from rock pigeons, which are in nature a shy, cliff-dwelling species. Then we domesticated them and bred them into fancy shapes and colors, and also let them go feral, when they became city pigeons. You can call a pigeon a dove, they don't mind.

There are hundreds of doves/pigeon species.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

Bonster posted:

They are. They're both Columbidae. The only difference is that pigeons are usually larger and doves are usually smaller. The reason white doves are actually pigeons is that all domestic pigeon descend from rock pigeons, which are in nature a shy, cliff-dwelling species. Then we domesticated them and bred them into fancy shapes and colors, and also let them go feral, when they became city pigeons. You can call a pigeon a dove, they don't mind.

There are hundreds of doves/pigeon species.

Thanks for this, the pigeon/dove thing is way more confusing than I thought.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

stuff you can't believe you just figured out: pigeons are goddamn complicated

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

Someone Awful! posted:

stuff you can't believe you just figured out: pigeons are goddamn complicated

You should take a look at what exactly "panthers" are.

Basically, it just meant any big cat, so it's been applied all over.

Now, lions, tigers, leopards, jaguars, and snow leopards are all in the Panthera genus.

When the Europeans colonized the Americas they came across pumas, who are NOT in the Panthera genus, but their own, Puma. However, they got called panthers too, as well as cougar, catamount, mountain lion, and painter.

In more modern times, panther has been usually applied to black versions of these cats too, though usually only leopards and jaguars. There have been rumors of black pumas, but none have been found.

So basically, a single species solely known as a panther does not exist, and the name could basically mean almost any big cat.

Taxonomy is hard!

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CS9OO0S5w2k

The reason they keep addressing the listener as young man is because YMCA stands for Young Men's Christian Association

e: listening to the song again, and taking it at face value, is it about getting homeless gay youths off the street? Wikipedia says it's just about how the YMCA was a hookup spot, but that doesn't really gel with a lot of the lyrics.

Wanamingo has a new favorite as of 11:54 on Mar 15, 2016

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Wanamingo posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CS9OO0S5w2k

The reason they keep addressing the listener as young man is because YMCA stands for Young Men's Christian Association

e: listening to the song again, and taking it at face value, is it about getting homeless gay youths off the street? Wikipedia says it's just about how the YMCA was a hookup spot, but that doesn't really gel with a lot of the lyrics.

At face value, it's just about the YMCA. There's nothing about gay men in the lyrics.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Tiggum posted:

At face value, it's just about the YMCA. There's nothing about gay men in the lyrics.

Same with In The Navy (in regards to it being about the Navy)

Now Hot Cop on the other hand, well he just wants to boogie on the disco floor.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

flosofl posted:

Today I learned there are more than two Village People songs.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Wanamingo posted:

Wikipedia says it's just about how the YMCA was a hookup spot, but that doesn't really gel with a lot of the lyrics.

Watch Can't Stop the Music and get back to us.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

The Village People apparently took themselves really seriously, too.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

The Village People are cool.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

flosofl posted:

Can you shed some light on what Macho Man is about? Does he really want to be a macho man?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Hirayuki posted:

Can you shed some light on what Macho Man is about? Does he really want to be a macho man?

Definitely wants a body that's in demand.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Tiggum posted:

Well okay, taking it at face value while accepting the self-evident fact that it's very obviously really gay.

Specifically there's a part of the song where they're saying you should shelf your pride, and head to the YMCA so you can have a shower and get a good meal. Maybe it's just innuendo, maybe they're singing about how homelessness was/is a big problem in the gay community.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
It becomes more obvious if you litter the lyrics with quotation marks.

Head to the YMCA so you can have a "shower," and get a "good meal."

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Strudel Man posted:

It becomes more obvious if you litter the lyrics with quotation marks.

Head to the YMCA so you can have a "shower," and get a "good meal."

quote:

Young man, there's a place you can "go".
I said, young man, when you're short on your "dough".
You can "stay there", and I'm sure you will "find"
Many ways to have a good time.

Checks out

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012

rydiafan posted:

Today I learned there are more than two Village People songs.
I can't help but wonder what this one is about.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hYtUYiuzkw

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Celery Face posted:

I can't help but wonder what this one is about.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hYtUYiuzkw

That's inferior Village People with Replacement Cop.

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe
I honestly thought the Village People songs were just to be taken at face value.

EDIT: Relevant to the topic, I just realised that there are 6 members of The Village People, not 5. I forgot about the G.I. :911:

Intoluene has a new favorite as of 01:33 on Mar 16, 2016

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

For the longest time I thought "Prague rock" was some sort of music of Bohemian origin. Only in the last few years did I figure it was short for "progressive" and no czechs were involved.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Baronjutter posted:

For the longest time I thought "Prague rock" was some sort of music of Bohemian origin. Only in the last few years did I figure it was short for "progressive" and no czechs were involved.

Not always!

they're pretty bad

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004
No idea why I just though about it but Eggmans old name outside of Japan was Ivo Robotnik. Ivo is Ovi backwards, meaning relating to Eggs. I don't know how it took me so long to realize this but holy poo poo well played Sega

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Skaw posted:

No idea why I just though about it but Eggmans old name outside of Japan was Ivo Robotnik. Ivo is Ovi backwards, meaning relating to Eggs. I don't know how it took me so long to realize this but holy poo poo well played Sega

Ugh, that reminds me of the Archie Comics run of Sonic where in the backstory Robotnik had once been a kindhearted scientist named Ovi Kintobor.

I used to love those comics, so thread title relevance: TIL that I have bad taste