Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Mister Fister posted:

Get an android watch, it will vibrate you awake... or not if you're that heavy a sleeper.

Pebble will do that too, as well as Fitbit (I think). It's pretty jarring at first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Require More Fire posted:

I'm looking to separate my personal poo poo from my work poo poo. Android for Work would do exactly what I want, but I can't use it because work doesn't use the service. Is there anything similar? Basically I don't want to have my personal calendar and contacts and email all mixed in with my work stuff, but I don't want to just delegate all the work stuff to a separate user profile that I have to keep switching back and forth between. I like how Android for Work creates separate apps for work in their own little spot.
Look up the app Nine.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Mister Fister posted:

Get an android watch, it will vibrate you awake... or not if you're that heavy a sleeper.

Maybe I'm half dead or something but I can never feel my Moto 360/2 vibrating and that's when I've set a timer that I am expecting to go off in a short timeframe. There's no way that would ever be enough to wake me.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

LastInLine posted:

Maybe I'm half dead or something but I can never feel my Moto 360/2 vibrating and that's when I've set a timer that I am expecting to go off in a short timeframe. There's no way that would ever be enough to wake me.

I feel this way about my 360v1...I miss a vibration on it multiple times a day.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

Mister Fister posted:

Couple problems with that idea. First, it just doesn't work for me, but beyond that, with the battery life and inconvenient charging mechanisms of several android watches, the only reasonable time to charge the thing is while you are asleep, and it can't be around your wrist while charging.

Please note: the only android watch that I own is the 360, so it's probable that newer attempts fare better on some of those fronts.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Kytrarewn posted:

Couple problems with that idea. First, it just doesn't work for me, but beyond that, with the battery life and inconvenient charging mechanisms of several android watches, the only reasonable time to charge the thing is while you are asleep, and it can't be around your wrist while charging.

Please note: the only android watch that I own is the 360, so it's probable that newer attempts fare better on some of those fronts.

I know it's not Android Wear, but Pebble Time (and Time Steel) last close to a week on battery. I only charge mine while I'm in the shower. The vibration is also really strong.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Get a cat, start feeding it first thing in the morning.

You will never sleep through your alarm again.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

docbeard posted:

Get a cat, start feeding it first thing in the morning.

You will never sleep through your alarm again.

This is truth.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Get a fitbit flex. Tiny, fairly cheap, vibrates strong, battery lasts a long time. It's a great alarm clock.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Thermopyle posted:

I feel this way about my 360v1...I miss a vibration on it multiple times a day.

I took off my 360v1 and I still feel ghost vibrations several times a day.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Require More Fire posted:

I'm looking to separate my personal poo poo from my work poo poo. Android for Work would do exactly what I want, but I can't use it because work doesn't use the service. Is there anything similar? Basically I don't want to have my personal calendar and contacts and email all mixed in with my work stuff, but I don't want to just delegate all the work stuff to a separate user profile that I have to keep switching back and forth between. I like how Android for Work creates separate apps for work in their own little spot.

Use the Microsoft Outlook app for your work accounts (even if your work doesn't use Exchange, chances are the app can connect to your work email).

Then your work stuff is inside the Outlook app and your personal stuff is everything else.

Kane
Aug 20, 2000

Do you see the problem?

Conscious of pain, you're distracted by pain.
You're fixated on it. Obsessed by one threat, you miss the other.

So much more aware, so much less perceptive. An automaton could do better.

Are you in there?

Are you listening? Can you see?
How long does it usually take for prices to start dropping on Samsung's flagship models? Thinking about picking up an S7/Edge soon.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Kane posted:

How long does it usually take for prices to start dropping on Samsung's flagship models? Thinking about picking up an S7/Edge soon.

It's 3 business days since official release. Not for a very long time.

Kane
Aug 20, 2000

Do you see the problem?

Are you in there?

CLAM DOWN posted:

It's 3 business days since official release. Not for a very long time.

I mean when I can expect prices to start dropping from the $820 range to around 600-750(?).

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Kane posted:

I mean when I can expect prices to start dropping from the $820 range to around 600-750(?).

I don't think anyone can answer this. A year maybe?

Mr Executive
Aug 27, 2006
Is there any real way to block popups/ads in android chrome like you can on the desktop? Preferably without rooting.

Kane
Aug 20, 2000

Do you see the problem?

Are you in there?

CLAM DOWN posted:

I don't think anyone can answer this. A year maybe?

Don't these usually drop down in price relatively significantly (if not to the $600 range) rather quickly?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Kane posted:

Probably depends on how well they sell. The S5 and S6 both received ~$100 price drops around 6 months in.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Mr Executive posted:

Is there any real way to block popups/ads in android chrome like you can on the desktop? Preferably without rooting.

As I understand it, Firefox mobile lets you use uBlock. That's probably your only non root option.

Kane
Aug 20, 2000

Do you see the problem?

Are you in there?

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Probably depends on how well they sell. The S5 and S6 both received ~$100 price drops around 6 months in.

Thanks. So safe to say the Edge will stay at $820 for the next few months?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Kane posted:

Thanks. So safe to say the Edge will stay at $820 for the next few months?

Yes? It's completely ridiculous to expect such a popular and well-received flagship phone to drop hundreds of dollars in price right away.

Kane
Aug 20, 2000

Do you see the problem?

Are you in there?

CLAM DOWN posted:

Yes? It's completely ridiculous to expect such a popular and well-received flagship phone to drop hundreds of dollars in price right away.

It was a question, not an expectation.

Retail price is stated at $750 and prices are now $820, by the way.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Kane posted:

It was a question, not an expectation.

Retail price is stated at $750 and prices are now $820, by the way.

Not sure where in the world you are so I can't comment on your prices. The Edge is $1000 off contract in Canada, $500 on a two year. The regular S7 is $900/$400 respectively.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
https://swappa.com/listing/HEJ066/view

Here is the Edge at $750.

Typically, you won't find full retail price drop all that much, especially if you look through one of the carriers. They want you on some sort of subsidy. Amazon may be your best bet for a new, cheap device but even then it may be a while to see any sort of price drop.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Mr Executive posted:

Use Firefox, get AdBlock or uBlock addon

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Lmao after converting to CAD that's actually higher than the price here

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

CLAM DOWN posted:

Lmao after converting to CAD that's actually higher than the price here

$1000 vs. $1002

lmao indeed

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Regular T-Mobile S7's are down to $600ish on Swappa already. After tax my preorder was $700ish. :shepicide:

Oh well. The cool preorder bonuses kinda make up for it; I don't even use Netflix (weirdly, Comcast Xfinity TV is faster and has more stuff, or at least more stuff that I care about), so I bet I can sell whatever code I get on Craigslist or something to make up for it.

This is a cool and good phone. Touchwiz with a Material and/or Dark theme is actually a lot better than I remember it being on the Lollipop Note 4 I had. One thing I actually really like is that because I keep GPS off while not using it, Google Maps will actually turn it on for me when I go to use it instead of me having to go use the QUICK TOGGLE(!!!), unlike either the Moto G or Nexus 5X I was using before.

The ONE THING that Touchwiz does that pisses me off (that to be fair I think every OEM skin does?) is turn down the volume when I plug any headphones/aux cable in. Thanks, mom, but I don't need you to protect my hearing.

vvv

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Seems like a good rule to never pay the starting price for flagship phones or (in recent years) Nexus phones. There is always a deal if you wait a few months.

Honestly normally I agree, but the preorder bonuses were too good to miss. Even if I end up not liking them I could probably sell both the GearVR and the Netflix for a hefty discount anyway.

Daily Forecast fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Mar 15, 2016

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
With T-Mobile and AT&T both doing buy one get one free offers for the S7 I would expect that prices on Swappa, etc. might drop fairly quickly, at least for a short while. Obviously they still need to be unlocked if you're going to use them with another carrier. Last year I think the "international version" of the S6 was selling for $500 a few months after launch.

Seems like a good rule to never pay the starting price for flagship phones or (in recent years) Nexus phones. There is always a deal if you wait a few months.

BeastOfExmoor fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Mar 15, 2016

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
Re: discounted S7 and S7 edges:

ATT and T-Mobile are both doing buy one, get one on the S7 and S7 EDGE. In ATT, you have you sign up for the NEXT monthly payment plan for both phones, and they credit you for one of the phone each month.

Mr Executive
Aug 27, 2006

docbeard posted:

As I understand it, Firefox mobile lets you use uBlock. That's probably your only non root option.

Syrinxx posted:

Use Firefox, get AdBlock or uBlock addon

Goddamnit. I finally bit the bullet like a year ago and stopped using Firefox in favor of Chrome on my phone and computer. I'm ok with rooting my phone if it's still easy (I have an s6 and I remember being super easy to root my s4). Does that change anything? Can I get real ad/popup blocking in Chrome if I root?

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Yes, you can root and use AdAway: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2190753

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Lowen SoDium posted:

Re: discounted S7 and S7 edges:

ATT and T-Mobile are both doing buy one, get one on the S7 and S7 EDGE. In ATT, you have you sign up for the NEXT monthly payment plan for both phones, and they credit you for one of the phone each month.

Wow, why shouldn't I just buy them both and flip on on Craigslist?

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

Cancelling service means that the rest of the balance of the phone is due. I imagine that the credit that they give you covers only the service portion and not the NEXT payments. I could be completely wrong though.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Lblitzer posted:

Cancelling service means that the rest of the balance of the phone is due. I imagine that the credit that they give you covers only the service portion and not the NEXT payments. I could be completely wrong though.

I'm sure there's someway I can leverage that to make $10. My excel sheet hasn't been updated in MONTHS.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

I'm sure there's someway I can leverage that to make $10. My excel sheet hasn't been updated in MONTHS.

Just flip 350 phones in Canada, free phone BOOM LIFEHACK

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Lblitzer posted:

I think it's the other way around. They are crediting you the NEXT payment for 24 or 30 months, up to $695 I think, which doesn't quite fully cover a S7 Edge. But that's still really good discount. Also, I am pretty sure that the deal requires you to stay on NEXT the whole time and that early payoff of the primary device will end the credits for the secondary.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

As far as I can tell, for T-Mobile you only have to add a new line (:tenbux: if you're on a family plan) which you can nearly immediately cancel as I understand it. If you can resell one of the phones for $600 that means you get the one to keep for very cheap. If I hadn't just purchased a G4 using similar trick I'd think really hard about doing this. This is why I'm expecting T-Mobile S7's to start flooding Swappa, eBay, etc. at fairly good prices.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Hey Androidgoons, is it common for the Galaxy s6 Edge or just the s6 in general to have issues being detected by Win 7 computers when connected via mini-USB?

Tried a bunch of different solutions after some Googling. I know it's not the cable itself, I know it's not because I don't have the USB options activated through debugging, I know it's not because of out of date drivers. It's in AP/MTP+ADB already. So I'm not sure what keeps causing this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

bull3964 posted:

Get a fitbit flex. Tiny, fairly cheap, vibrates strong, battery lasts a long time. It's a great alarm clock.

Or an Xiaomi MiBand. 30-day+ battery life, tiny, $18. That's what mine does, aside from sorta tracking steps and doing an acceptable job at sleep tracking.