Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Wait is that a Nolan or Schuberth? He's only a granddad if that's a Nolan or Schuberth.

Haha

We call him Seņor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

clutchpuck posted:

Haha

We call him Seņor.

You really didn't need to get the bike name in the frame. We'd have guessed what he was on even from a tight head shot.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

You really didn't need to get the bike name in the frame. We'd have guessed what he was on even from a tight head shot.

I could also imagine him riding the steampunk hipster monstrosity from the Pics thread.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Chichevache posted:

Have you taken it on the freeway yet? It has to feel great being able to break the legal limits finally.

Yeah, just an hour ago for a 30 min one way trip. It was pretty nice, although I will have to get used to the wind. I had no trouble keeping up with the traffic at all - the dealers I talked to seemed to think I would need a Ninja 650 for that.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

pokie posted:

Yeah, just an hour ago for a 30 min one way trip. It was pretty nice, although I will have to get used to the wind. I had no trouble keeping up with the traffic at all - the dealers I talked to seemed to think I would need a Ninja 650 for that.

The dealers need you to have a 650.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Give it a few months and you will need you to have a 650.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

goddamnedtwisto posted:

It was also taken at old guy Mecca: Sturgis.

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008

Shimrod posted:

Give it a few months and you will need you to have a 650.

Hey now, my 250 is my fifth bike, smallest, and favorite. Also I'm a dirty poor.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

pokie posted:

I remember the first time I owned a slow bike. That GSXR600 was boring.

dreggory
Jan 20, 2007
World Famous in New Zealand
After 3 months of giving the sv650 a solid try I'm ready to get back on a proper, screaming inline 4. As much as I wanted to love it the V-twin is just not my cup of tea.

I'm keeping my eye out for a cbr600f3/4/4i (had one previously and loved the hell out of it) but I'm curious what else I might could cross-shop.

Things I liked about the cbr: sporty middleweight with the handling and guts to really toss around, but relaxed enough ergonomically to handle some touring duty and general everyday use.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

dreggory posted:

After 3 months of giving the sv650 a solid try I'm ready to get back on a proper, screaming inline 4. As much as I wanted to love it the V-twin is just not my cup of tea.

In the spirit of this thread, get a Tuono.

In the spirit of being a goon, how does it feel to be so wrong about engine configurations?

dreggory
Jan 20, 2007

clutchpuck posted:

In the spirit of this thread, get a Tuono.

In the spirit of being a goon, how does it feel to be so wrong about engine configurations?

I am admittedly a pretty terrible goon. I don't even work in IT any more.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

pokie posted:

When I started riding, the CBR250R had just come out and I went to the dealership to check them out. I mentioned that I was new to riding and was interested in the 250. The salesman laughed, said that it was "a chick bike", and tried to upsell me to a 600RR "cause otherwise you'll get bored in a week."

Suffice it to say I didn't give them any more business.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Fishvilla posted:

I'm a dumb stupid newbie biker who intends to commute ~15 miles (about 30-40 minutes) into my office (business casual). Is the Aerostitch just the absolute best bet? It looks like they're the best option for slipping on over work clothes, but the price is high. I was considering going with a Joe Rocket suit or similar to see if I enjoyed the 'suit' aspect, but with a hearty endorsement I might be willing to go hog wild with an aerostitch.

Any full suit with a neck to ankle zip is fine, really. The aerostitch is just well made, mostly waterproof, and repairable.

You might see if youcan sort out fit and eBay or Craigslist a used one.

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

dreggory posted:

I'm keeping my eye out for a cbr600f3/4/4i (had one previously and loved the hell out of it) but I'm curious what else I might could cross-shop.

Things I liked about the cbr: sporty middleweight with the handling and guts to really toss around, but relaxed enough ergonomically to handle some touring duty and general everyday use.

Not sure what your budget is, but the cbr650f is basically that (afaik it's the new 600i in spirit).

dreggory
Jan 20, 2007

Barnsy posted:

Not sure what your budget is, but the cbr650f is basically that (afaik it's the new 600i in spirit).

My budget is 'perpetual cheap bastard' or 'whatever I can sell my current bike for' which tends to be around $2k-2.5k either way.

I mean, I have no problem going right back to a 90s CBR, I just thought I might explore my options a little bit.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

dreggory posted:

:raise: this is the opposite direction most go in, instead finding the i4 boring and the twin full of character. Congrats I guess?

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Z3n posted:

Any full suit with a neck to ankle zip is fine, really. The aerostitch is just well made, mostly waterproof, and repairable.

I've been riding in a two piece number myself in my 5 years of year-round motorcycling and they hold up fine too. To be honest I don't think I could find a one piece textile anywhere, let alone aerostitch. :v:

With everything motorcycling I'd suggest going for the cheaper option first, whatever that may be, so you can get real feedback on what you like and don't like.

Giblet Plus!
Sep 14, 2004

Z3n posted:

I just got one used on ebay for a fraction of the price of new.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Probably can't go wrong with a stich but they're not the only option and I can vouch for a 2 piece doing the job well too. My old pvc twosie worked great until I hosed it up.

I picked up top and bottom Klim gear on CL and ADV for about 600$ all in. Took a couple months of looking and bumping posts though.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

darth cookie posted:

I'd suggest buying second hand if only to deaden that horrible sinking feeling when you drop your bike for the first time. If your budget stretches to include bikes that have ABS, then yes it is nice to have.

"Drop your bike" part was prophetic. I have not dropped my first one in 30-40 hours of riding. And I rode the Ninja for about 10 hours before I decided to practice confined U-turns and sharp braking in a parking lot. I over-steered into the first 2-3 mph U-turn, and now I need a new shifter. Good thing it's only worth $50. Oh yeah, and the plastic is scratched of course. gently caress it, I will keep practicing this poo poo and probably drop it again. But like you said, I am glad I got a used one.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

pokie posted:

"Drop your bike" part was prophetic. I have not dropped my first one in 30-40 hours of riding. And I rode the Ninja for about 10 hours before I decided to practice confined U-turns and sharp braking in a parking lot. I over-steered into the first 2-3 mph U-turn, and now I need a new shifter. Good thing it's only worth $50. Oh yeah, and the plastic is scratched of course. gently caress it, I will keep practicing this poo poo and probably drop it again. But like you said, I am glad I got a used one.

My first off was from u-turn fuckery as well. You're clearly on the right path.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Yeah. While I don't subscribe to the "it's not if you crash, it's when" kind of fatalism, I doubt if anyone in the world has ever started riding a motorcycle without having the bike tip over at least once. Almost always from something stupid like bumping a curb on a U-turn or forgetting to put the kickstand down before getting off.

I dropped my CL350 unloading it from the van I picked it up with. At least I was already about to take it apart.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Mar 17, 2016

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

pokie posted:

I hope you didn't crush the indicator. On my 2010 Ninja I discovered that Kawasaki had made the brilliant decision to use an unusual OEM bulb rather than just any loving yellow globe you might pick up from an auto shop. You may also wish to look into getting some oggy knobs or equivalent fitted. Ain't no shame in it and it'll be cheaper than replacement fairings.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Chichevache posted:

I could also imagine him riding the steampunk hipster monstrosity from the Pics thread.

Not in that crash helmet. C'mon man, get your head in the lazy biker stereotyping game.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Not in that crash helmet. C'mon man, get your head in the lazy biker stereotyping game.

Put him in a hipster bubble visor and find a way for him to smoke his bubble pipe through it :monocle:

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Yep, first drop was doing a u turn on a heavily crowned street.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

M42 posted:

Yep, first drop was doing a u turn on a heavily crowned street.

Bonus for plenty of witnesses. :golfclap:

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Mine was turning along side of trolley tracks. On a cobblestone street. Right after a rain. It was like slipping on a banana peel in a cartoon. Whoosh

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

The advantage of going to a riding school with learner bikes, you can get the bike-dropping out of your system with someone else's bike. I've never dropped my own bike. *knock on wood*

I dropped the school bike twice, once during a tight U-turn and once at a standstill. :downs:

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Collateral Damage posted:

The advantage of going to a riding school with learner bikes, you can get the bike-dropping out of your system with someone else's bike. I've never dropped my own bike. *knock on wood*

I dropped the school bike twice, once during a tight U-turn and once at a standstill. :downs:

I dropped a learner bike too!

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Chichevache posted:

Bonus for plenty of witnesses. :golfclap:

Not for the u turn, but I had plenty the next time I dropped it by neglecting to extend the kickstand fully.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
I dropped a loaner bike in my garage with kick stand shenanigans. Nearly dropped the Ninja once the same way, but gently caress that I just He-Man'd it because no way was I scratching that thing up.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I nearly dropped my bike this morning in the most embarrassing possible way - turning right, do a lifesaver, see movement as I start to turn my head and panic (because I've had more than one scooter try to go around the outside of me despite me being on the centre line of the road indicating right, loving idiots). Slam the brakes on, then realise it was just the shadow of a truck passing me on the left, and only then - Wile E Coyote style - does gravity choose to remind me I'm standing still despite still being leaned over. *Just* managed to get my foot down in time. And yes I know I could have just pulled forward and been fine, but instincts are loving idiots sometimes.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I nearly dropped my bike this morning in the most embarrassing possible way - turning right, do a lifesaver, see movement as I start to turn my head and panic (because I've had more than one scooter try to go around the outside of me despite me being on the centre line of the road indicating right, loving idiots). Slam the brakes on, then realise it was just the shadow of a truck passing me on the left, and only then - Wile E Coyote style - does gravity choose to remind me I'm standing still despite still being leaned over. *Just* managed to get my foot down in time. And yes I know I could have just pulled forward and been fine, but instincts are loving idiots sometimes.

I've pulled up to a stoplight and forgot to put my foot down before.
I've also forgotten to put my kickstand down.

Neither time did the bike hit the ground. :smug:

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

I dropped my first bike (ninja 250) by not realizing you should be sitting on it when getting it off the maintence kickstand :saddowns:

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
I drop the drat thing all the time, once every year at least.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Tell me about your maglev bike.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

KARMA! posted:

I drop the drat thing all the time, once every year at least.

Tell me about your maglev bike.

Stoplight was just ultimate trackstand.

Forgotten kickstand was on Goldwing. It fell but I caught it and nearly killed myself saving it (I was standing on opposite side.)

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Its only fun if you forget to put your stand up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

bike fell on you, huh?