Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Yeah, no idea about grunt fights but I'm enjoying IBO's fight coreography quite a lot. Also Unicorn has some cool fight scenes where no actual protagonists are involved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

ninjewtsu posted:

What are some notably good gundam grunt fights

Does GM Sniper Custom vs Kampfer Amazing count?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

IBO has some cool choreography for individual scenes but I can't say particularly great fights. They're almost entirely Mika effortlessly wrecking dudes who do stupid things that make no sense and while it makes sense for the story the only real fight Mika had so far is one where he launched in a broken robot. (Which was admittedly a good fight!) It's sort of like 00 only instead of a massive technological advantage he's fighting guys who stand around posing before a battle or literal untrained children or whatever.

I'm not sure of my favorite overall Gundam fights. Every series has some stuff I like and dislike to some degree. It depends a lot on what they're doing.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Someone was taking a poo poo on the fight at the beginning of War in the Pocket last time choreography came up, and now we are apparently Not Impressed with the Gouf fight in 08th MS so as far as I can tell there are No Good Grunt Fights Ever

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

DamnGlitch posted:

Someone was taking a poo poo on the fight at the beginning of War in the Pocket last time choreography came up, and now we are apparently Not Impressed with the Gouf fight in 08th MS so as far as I can tell there are No Good Grunt Fights Ever

This is the internet and no good things exist.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

G-reco has my vote for best choreography, at least as far as tv offerings go. Especially since the storyboarding does a great job at compensating when the animation begins to reach at things a bit beyond its grasp.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Srice posted:

G-reco has my vote for best choreography, at least as far as tv offerings go. Especially since the storyboarding does a great job at compensating when the animation begins to reach at things a bit beyond its grasp.

G-Reco to some degree has the 'the protagonist is basically clowning everyone" problem but the storyboarding and general unit design are so interesting they tend to carry it past that for me. G-Reco may be the top of my list for overall favorite series design aesthetic though.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

the thunderbolt fights are pretty cool

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
The Ygdrassil fight stands out for me in that regard, since while everyone else is having trouble and having to dodge all the beams, Bellri just activates the copy/paste shield, dives right through the beams without issue and stabs the cockpit. It's a really boring climax to an interesting unit.

I think Turn-A has some great fight and I certainly remember a lot more of them than any other show. It is my favorite anime though, so I'm biased. G-Reco has a nicer aesthetic I think, I'm just not a fan of the show's pacing. I can't think of any great grunt only fights in it though. Sochie against the Mahiroo I guess? More of a short scene than a full fight, since it's only a couple of seconds long. The Bornjarnon squad against the Cannon Illfueto maybe?

tsob fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Mar 16, 2016

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Victory has some pretty dope fighting, and Usso becomes a mass murderer through his skills before he gets the V2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XI-RjIkZIc

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
Technically both the Turn A and gundam X are grunts.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Ka0 posted:

Technically both the Turn A and gundam X are grunts.

Gundam X is but there was only ever one Turn A. I guess Turn X could have been mass produced since no one knows anything about whoever built it.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
The Airmaster, X, and Leopard were all mass produced

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE

WrightOfWay posted:

Gundam X is but there was only ever one Turn A. I guess Turn X could have been mass produced since no one knows anything about whoever built it.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Jimmays

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
That's the Turn-A with a couple of Turn-B's (think GM). They have no mustache and a visor instead of eyes, so are very obviously not the Turn-A.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Reminds me of Code Geese where some idiots put a Strategic weapon on a tactic unit and send it into a tactical fight but worse.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
The Turn-A takes horrendous amounts of punishment in show when Gym aims his guns at it, probably has the most armor this side of Wing (possibly more), has a really versatile system in the Moonlight Butterfly, can change weapons on the fly thanks to the chest dock (which it does in show thanks to Gym) and is super fast when it wants to be. It has no need of back up, and the MG Manual confirms that by stating that it can warp weapons from the DOC base and that it was meant to operate solo because of it. Those Turn-B's are completely pointless on the part of the manga artist and make me full sure a lot of people paid no attention to the show. Not that I got any of that for years myself. I just find it funny that people go on about how idiots don't "get" G-Reco when I'm full sure many don't really "get" Turn-A yet, despite being made 15 years beforehand. Most probably don't even get many of his UC works - myself included.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

tsob posted:

The Turn-A takes horrendous amounts of punishment in show when Gym aims his guns at it, probably has the most armor this side of Wing (possibly more), has a really versatile system in the Moonlight Butterfly, can change weapons on the fly thanks to the chest dock (which it does in show thanks to Gym) and is super fast when it wants to be. It has no need of back up, and the MG Manual confirms that by stating that it can warp weapons from the DOC base and that it was meant to operate solo because of it. Those Turn-B's are completely pointless on the part of the manga artist and make me full sure a lot of people paid no attention to the show. Not that I got any of that for years myself. I just find it funny that people go on about how idiots don't "get" G-Reco when I'm full sure many don't really "get" Turn-A yet, despite being made 15 years beforehand. Most probably don't even get many of his UC works - myself included.

Remember that the other guys had the Turn X, which could presumably do all of that too. A few more el-cheapo Turns might have been needed to swing the balance.

The Turn A's abilities appear to be less an example of how insanely broken it was, and more an example of how insanely huge the scale of the war it was involved in was. I mean, the Turn X was from outside the solar system - are we completely sure the war was interplanetary rather than interstellar?

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
No-one knows, at least for the Turn-X. The Turn-A was built by a future Federation on the Turn-X's base after it was found floating on the edges of the Solar System and was meant to operate on it's own, changing weapons by using the teleporation feature in the chest (along with the DOC base) and covering all bases of attack by itself. The Turn-B's don't really add anything except MORE. Which is pointless when dealing with a unit that has the moonlight butterfly, since it's maximum more all on it's own.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

The Turns can't be everywhere at once so I'm sure there were lots of other mobile suits being used in a gigantic war.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

tsob posted:

That's the Turn-A with a couple of Turn-B's (think GM). They have no mustache and a visor instead of eyes, so are very obviously not the Turn-A.

I'm pretty sure I see a mustache on those

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I think you can firmly say the idea was that while Turn-A was crazy there were dozens upon dozens of lesser but still absurdly crazy machines running around, akin or even superior to the crazy poo poo in G-Reco. The war was probably a case of insane people with insane weapons slaughtering dozens at a time until something more insane took them out.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Yeah, there's a moustache on the Turn-Bs but it looks shorter and closer to the "face". Oh god robot moustaches. :psyduck:

Anyways, I haven't seen ∀ yet but all this time I thought the protagonist was a woman! Have there been any female protagonists in Gundam yet? No, right?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Not a one, no. Loran is a guy, just a very girly looking guy. There was an ongoing rumor that he was supposed to be a woman but it doesn't seem to have much evidence. There's more evidence that Bellri (also an extremely girly looking main character) was supposed to be a woman. Tomino's original pitch for G-Reco was "the birth of a queen" involving two princesses who were sibllings, and by the time we got it it involved a 'princess' sister and her brother.

Beyond that none outside of manga sidestories. The closest is Fumina from Try Fighters but she was the viewpoint character for the first episode before Sekai ate the story. You can maybe make an argument for Chris from 0080 but honestly Al is the main character of that story.

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

I think War in the Pocket is the only show where the main Gundam pilot is a woman, but she's not the lead character.

Edit: ^ Yep.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
There's Ecole du Ciel.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

MonsieurChoc posted:

There's Ecole du Ciel.

and Gunota-san

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

ninjewtsu posted:

I'm pretty sure I see a mustache on those

Yea, I think you may be right. It's definitely smaller if it's there though. They also still have visors instead of eyes.

ImpAtom posted:

Not a one, no. Loran is a guy, just a very girly looking guy. There was an ongoing rumor that he was supposed to be a woman but it doesn't seem to have much evidence. There's more evidence that Bellri (also an extremely girly looking main character) was supposed to be a woman. Tomino's original pitch for G-Reco was "the birth of a queen" involving two princesses who were sibllings, and by the time we got it it involved a 'princess' sister and her brother.

Beyond that none outside of manga sidestories. The closest is Fumina from Try Fighters but she was the viewpoint character for the first episode before Sekai ate the story. You can maybe make an argument for Chris from 0080 but honestly Al is the main character of that story.

I dunno, I think you could make a decent argument that Dianna is the main character of Turn-A, since we experience a lot through her eyes and unlike Loran she goes through a proper arc, turning from a sheltered queen in to a normal person who hands off her powers. That aside, where do we get the idea Bellri was ever a woman. The earliest info I can recall on G No Reconquista was the information with a pic of an emaciated Astray like unit atop an orbital elevator with some kind of spear weapon when Tomino announced his intentions to make the show (before it was even a Gundam show if I recall) and Bellri was still a male in that. He was a younger prince supporting his older princess sister as she becomes a Queen if I recall. I don't even recall anything about him being a her.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

tsob posted:

Yea, I think you may be right. It's definitely smaller if it's there though. They also still have visors instead of eyes.

I dunno, I think you could make a decent argument that Dianna is the main character of Turn-A, since we experience a lot through her eyes and unlike Loran she goes through a proper arc, turning from a sheltered queen in to a normal person who hands off her powers. That aside, where do we get the idea Bellri was ever a woman. The earliest info I can recall on G No Reconquista was the information with a pic of an emaciated Astray like unit atop an orbital elevator with some kind of spear weapon when Tomino announced his intentions to make the show (before it was even a Gundam show if I recall) and Bellri was still a male in that. He was a younger prince supporting his older princess sister as she becomes a Queen if I recall. I don't even recall anything about him being a her.

The very first time he brought it up in an interview it was about two princesses because he wanted to do a story about the power of women. It was one of those things where people kept going "We're FINALLY getting a female protagonist" but yeah, it pretty quickly changed to a brother and sister. I honestly doubt a lady protagonist will survive the initial draft of any Gundam series unless they decide the only way to get the real marketing is to go full T&A.

I don't really think Diana is the protagonist unfortunately. She's a major character (and more interesting than Loran) but Loran's kind of the focal point and gets most of the main character beats. The final conflict is between him and Gym after all. Gundam in general seems to have comfortably settled into the role of "female lead, usually some form of nobility or upper-class citizen in a leadership role, main dude is the fighty guy who supports her." It isn't every Gundam series but at this point it is more than isn't.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Mar 16, 2016

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

tsob posted:

Those Turn-B's are completely pointless on the part of the manga artist and make me full sure a lot of people paid no attention to the show. Not that I got any of that for years myself. I just find it funny that people go on about how idiots don't "get" G-Reco when I'm full sure many don't really "get" Turn-A yet, despite being made 15 years beforehand. Most probably don't even get many of his UC works - myself included.

No need to kick me on the dick about it, jeez.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ImpAtom posted:

The very first time he brought it up in an interview it was about two princesses because he wanted to do a story about the power of women. It was one of those things where people kept going "We're FINALLY getting a female protagonist" but yeah, it pretty quickly changed to a brother and sister. I honestly doubt a lady protagonist will survive the initial draft of any Gundam series unless they decide the only way to get the real marketing is to go full T&A.

I don't really think Diana is the protagonist unfortunately. She's a major character (and more interesting than Loran) but Loran's kind of the focal point and gets most of the main character beats. The final conflict is between him and Gym after all. Gundam in general seems to have comfortably settled into the role of "female lead, usually some form of nobility or upper-class citizen in a leadership role, main dude is the fighty guy who supports her." It isn't every Gundam series but at this point it is more than isn't.

Hey, Fumina made it to just shy of the final script version for BFT before being ousted for Sekai by the look of things :v:.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Hey, Fumina made it to just shy of the final script version for BFT before being ousted for Sekai by the look of things :v:.

Which was such bullshit.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Caros posted:

Which was such bullshit.

But Sekai is your favorite! He's the best fighter, he never makes mistakes, he always wins, and all the girls love him!

Sekai is everyone's favorite

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

One, Sekai needs to be louder, angrier, and have access to a time machine. Two,

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Have we ever actually heard any confirmation that Fumina was supposed to be the main character or is that just a crazy pipe dream

Since it seemed p clear to me right from the first episode that it was never gonna be the case at all

Caros
May 14, 2008

Srice posted:

Have we ever actually heard any confirmation that Fumina was supposed to be the main character or is that just a crazy pipe dream

Since it seemed p clear to me right from the first episode that it was never gonna be the case at all

It looks pretty clear from the writing. So much of the content of the various episodes put her centre stage in a way that usually only happens with a main character. You add that to the fact that all of the writing around Sekai is weak and it pretty much screams "We rewrote large parts of the show to put him centre stage at the last minute."

I mean, look at the first episode. Fumina is the focus of the majority of it, the narrator etc. When Sekai gets his moment to shine it is very similar to how we see Reiji in the first series, he is the trump card that solves her problems.

It is admittedly just speculation, but it feels like safe speculation.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Caros posted:

It looks pretty clear from the writing. So much of the content of the various episodes put her centre stage in a way that usually only happens with a main character. You add that to the fact that all of the writing around Sekai is weak and it pretty much screams "We rewrote large parts of the show to put him centre stage at the last minute."

I mean, look at the first episode. Fumina is the focus of the majority of it, the narrator etc. When Sekai gets his moment to shine it is very similar to how we see Reiji in the first series, he is the trump card that solves her problems.

It is admittedly just speculation, but it feels like safe speculation.

That's really not accurate. The role Fumina plays is one you see in a lot of anime. She's the 'normal' viewpoint character who discovers the exceptional protagonist. It was pretty plain that is what she was from the start. The fact she was more interesting then Sekai is more a result of the fact that Sekai was the most boring man imaginable more than anything.

She absolutely doesn't get center stage. She doesn't even have her own rival until the very end and she is only a rival sort of by default and because someone else told her to be. No ongoing plot threads are set up with her and her drama is largely resolved once she gets a team. There's a brief bit of drama where she discovers Winning Gundam is kind of stupid but then that gets resolved as well. Star Winning Gundam is absolutely cooler than Try Burning Gundam is though. In comparison Kousaka and Sekai both have ongoing plot threads that last the entirety of the series. Both of them have multiple rivals who exist entirely to fight them and get heavy focus episodes. Fumina gets to do cool things in fights (which is awesome) but otherwise kind of gets sidelined as a character.

That said I do think it's funny that the way Try is written means Sekai in the second half looks like utter crap compared to his teammates despite everyone talking about how awesome he is.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Mar 17, 2016

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ImpAtom posted:

That's really not accurate. The role Fumina plays is one you see in a lot of anime. She's the 'normal' viewpoint character who discovers the exceptional protagonist. It was pretty plain that is what she was from the start. The fact she was more interesting then Sekai is more a result of the fact that Sekai was the most boring man imaginable more than anything.

She absolutely doesn't get center stage. She doesn't even have her own rival until the very end and she is only a rival sort of by default and because someone else told her to be. No ongoing plot threads are set up with her and her drama is largely resolved once she gets a team. There's a brief bit of drama where she discovers Winning Gundam is kind of stupid but then that gets resolved as well. Star Winning Gundam is absolutely cooler than Try Burning Gundam is though. In comparison Kousaka and Sekai both have ongoing plot threads that last the entirety of the series. Both of them have multiple rivals who exist entirely to fight them and get heavy focus episodes. Fumina gets to do cool things in fights (which is awesome) but otherwise kind of gets sidelined as a character.

That said I do think it's funny that the way Try is written means Sekai in the second half looks like utter crap compared to his teammates despite everyone talking about how awesome he is.

Except the shift in writing style is so abrupt that it screams something happened there. Fumina in the first few episodes reads like she came from a more complete series bible than the other two, and somewhere midway it got retooled into The Sekai Show. Also Sekai didn't have rivals, he had adoring cultists who wanted him because :shrug:. A final-four showdown should not have three teams wanking about how no, they will be the one to face Sekai rather than focusing on their actual opponent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caros
May 14, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

To be clear, the content that puts her centre stage largely takes place in the first several episodes. This is how rewrites work. My assumption was that they began production and were essentially told 'no, change it so the redhaired guy is the main character' and did what they could with that. Fumina takes up the majority of screen time, character and plot for the first five episodes before sort of dropping off the face of the earth with a pretty significant writing and tonal shift.

Fumina was pretty clearly supposed to be the Sei of Build Fighter's try, the focal protagonist who doesn't win all the battles. It is there in the first chunk of episodes and then drops completely by the wayside in favor of Jigen Haou Ryu.