Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Imagine how terrifying it would be if american fans and players were banned from fifa sanctioned events. How could the football world cope?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hardflip
Jul 21, 2007

https://twitter.com/richardajkeys/status/704251788183130112

atomic gog
Apr 11, 2005

Winner June 2013 POTM

Did he smash it?

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.

Byolante posted:

Imagine how terrifying it would be if american fans and players were banned from fifa sanctioned events. How could the football world cope?

The Womens World Cup would be less exciting, that's for sure.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

davecrazy posted:

The Womens World Cup would be less exciting, that's for sure.

I'm not sure that's physically possible.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

http://money.cnn.com/2016/02/29/investing/citigroup-fifa-subpoena/

quote:

U.S. banks are now being questioned in the FIFA corruption scandal that has rocked the sports world.
Citigroup (C) said in a recent securities filing that it has been slapped with a subpoena from U.S. officials investigating alleged "bribery, corruption and money laundering" at FIFA.
Anti-money laundering laws require banks to alert authorities about shady transactions like the ones at the heart of the FIFA scandal. Senior FIFA officials used various U.S. banks -- including Citi, JPMorgan Chase (JPM) and Bank of America (BAC) -- to transfer and receive $150 million in bribes and kickbacks, authorities alleged last year.
Citi said officials have requested information related to "banking relationships and transactions" tied to individuals "identified as having had involvement" in the alleged corrupt conduct.
In other words, authorities are questioning whether Citi turned a blind eye to suspicious transactions allegedly made by FIFA officials.
Related: FIFA vows to clean up its act. But will sponsors be satisfied?
Citi said it is "cooperating" with authorities on the subpoena, which came from the U.S. Attorney for the Eastern District in New York.
The disclosure makes Citi the first big U.S. bank to say it has been subpoenaed in the FIFA scandal.
"Citibank" was mentioned 15 times in the FIFA indictment that was unsealed by the Department of Justice last May. For instance, the indictment mentioned an unnamed co-conspirator who in 2011 wired $1.2 million from a bank in Qatar to an account at Citibank. The money was credited to an account held in the name of Jack Warner, a former senior FIFA official who is facing criminal charges in the scandal and has already been banned from FIFA for life.
In October Credit Suisse (CS) said it was questioned by authorities in the U.S. and Switzerland over whether it permitted shady transactions in violation of anti-money laundering laws.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Byolante posted:

Wouldn't that pretty much guarantee FIFA being reclassified as a criminal enterprise by the DoJ?

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Wouldn't that pretty much guarantee FIFA being reclassified as a criminal enterprise by the DoJ?

well duh, you don't see them going after hard-working patriotic :911: sports like american football

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Sir Unimaginative posted:

I honestly don't believe that nationalism is as much a factor as some of you seem to be implying. The World Cup thing was much less of a slap in the face than the Chicago Olympics snub was, and they didn't go after the IOC after that. I really do think it just fell into their lap due to FIFA officials' incompetence.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

some of us are joking :ssh:

although if the doj had two identical cases dropped into their lap, one against fifa and one against (say) the nfl, and they only had the resources to pursue one, i can guess which one they'd go for

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Lutha Mahtin posted:

some of us are joking :ssh:

although if the doj had two identical cases dropped into their lap, one against fifa and one against (say) the nfl, and they only had the resources to pursue one, i can guess which one they'd go for

Did you know the NFL was classified as a non profit and was tax exempt until this yr

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
Reminder:

MOD EDIT: This thread has been so bad that the following will apply from now on:

Anyone who mentions

American stadiums
College football
Baseball

Will be banned, no exceptions. I encourage all snitches to report any posts which seem like they may be about those subjects, though I may ban you too for being a snitch.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Gigi Galli posted:

Reminder:

MOD EDIT: This thread has been so bad that the following will apply from now on:

Anyone who mentions

American stadiums
College football
Baseball

Will be banned, no exceptions. I encourage all snitches to report any posts which seem like they may be about those subjects, though I may ban you too for being a snitch.

College football but not the NFL?

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

blue footed boobie posted:

College football but not the NFL?

If it gets bad enough I can add that too.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

#bellENDSports

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Waroduce posted:

Did you know the NFL was classified as a non profit and was tax exempt until this yr

The NFL was non-profit, but not the teams. So the teams paid taxes, but not the league itself

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting

Cliff Racer posted:

I honestly don't believe that nationalism is as much a factor as some of you seem to be implying. The World Cup thing was much less of a slap in the face than the Chicago Olympics snub was, and they didn't go after the IOC after that. I really do think it just fell into their lap due to FIFA officials' incompetence.
Whilst fully admitting I haven't been fully keeping up with every detail of the case (or every post in this thread), it does feel to me like there is a factor of American exceptionalism with how they've taken ownership of the entire scandal. They want to show these foreigners that their old-world back-handers don't fly. America is very separate from FIFA and I think that creates an environment that leads the US prosecutors into wanting to flex a bit of extra muscle, and make this a Win For America. Similarly, that's why US posters are super active in this thread.

If football and FIFA, as this enormous global operation, were less alien to the US then I reckon this would be playing out differently.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Hoops posted:

Whilst fully admitting I haven't been fully keeping up with every detail of the case (or every post in this thread), it does feel to me like there is a factor of American exceptionalism with how they've taken ownership of the entire scandal. They want to show these foreigners that their old-world back-handers don't fly. America is very separate from FIFA and I think that creates an environment that leads the US prosecutors into wanting to flex a bit of extra muscle, and make this a Win For America. Similarly, that's why US posters are super active in this thread.

If football and FIFA, as this enormous global operation, were less alien to the US then I reckon this would be playing out differently.

I think it's a lot more that FIFA were loving stupid enough to bribe people using US banks at a time when Switzerland are being forced to lose a lot of face over hilariously illegal banking practices.

From Europe there is no aspect of American nationalism involved in the narrative. It's barely relevant. The DoJ arrests are being done by Swiss police. The Swiss are investigating FIFA. Everyone is after FIFA.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
I don't see this whole thing as USA vs FIFA, they are obviously pissed off for losing the WC bids and there are all sorts of business interests at play but at the end of the day Blatter and co are corrupt fucks and someone had to go after them and none of the European pussies were going to do it.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting
Yes it's true that the bribes going through the US is the reason they ever had a remit to get involved, but I doubt Loretta Lynch really gives a poo poo about the WC. "None of those European pussies were going to do it" is a more concise version of what I was saying.

Edit: as for the Swiss investigation, that's only phase 1 - this is gonna go for years and years and I think the US will be massively taking the lead.

Hoops fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Mar 1, 2016

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Hoops posted:

America runs the goddamn world be from a better country or get over it.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
I can't find the link itt, but wasn't there an article that said that the investigation was started by a guy who followed football because he grew up in England? Of course that's just what the government would want you to think if they actually started the investigation in order to get back at FIFA.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Hoops posted:

Yes it's true that the bribes going through the US is the reason they ever had a remit to get involved, but I doubt Loretta Lynch really gives a poo poo about the WC. "None of those European pussies were going to do it" is a more concise version of what I was saying.

well no, they'd all been bribed.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

Hoops posted:

I don't think you understand how little the US government gives a poo poo about FIFA. This isn't a Win For America, or even about not getting the 2022 World Cup. The USDOJ has a real hard-on for rooting out and destroying traditional Organized Crime. Once they realized that's basically what was going on, using American financial resources, US prosecutors are just following the formula for taking down the Mafia. It may be strange for someone outside the US to see things go about this way given the US's political activities in other countries, but this is par for the course when they find this stuff domestically.

The only way I could see this playing out differently, is that because FIFA is truly international, it's going a lot slower than it would if they didn't have to wait for extraditions.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Hoops posted:

Edit: as for the Swiss investigation, that's only phase 1 - this is gonna go for years and years and I think the US will be massively taking the lead.

It will go on long enough that the majority of the people involved will be dead by the time its finished.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

serious gaylord posted:

It will go on long enough that the majority of the people involved will be dead by the time its finished.

Be that as it may, the whole affair still sends a huge warning to everyone else to clean their act up.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
It wont change a thing.

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)

Hoops posted:

They've done very little about old world back handers though. Its all been new world back handers they've been sorting out. I'm not sure they've even arrested a single person from outside the Americas.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
American exceptionalism. Jesus Christ dude.

Edit: It's not about let's do this for America. It's about the government catching a massive tax cheat, then looking at the case for all of thirty seconds and being like "Holy poo poo guys! Look at how blatantly corrupt these dudes are! This is like the easiest case in the world!". Having the opportunity to disrupt an international crime ring, where there aren't many political entanglements or skeletons in the closet, you don't have to fear reprisals, and the citizens of the world will applaud you for it is like any law enforcement official's wet dream.

CubanMissile fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Mar 2, 2016

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Hoops posted:

America is very separate from FIFA and I think that creates an environment that leads the US prosecutors into wanting to flex a bit of extra muscle, and make this a Win For America. Similarly, that's why US posters are super active in this thread.

american goons are all meatheads who just rah rah anytime our government decides they're going to crack the skulls of some foreigners, no matter the reason. it has nothing to do with SA being an English language website based here

you racist twat

Lutha Mahtin fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Mar 2, 2016

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal

Lutha Mahtin posted:

american goons are all meatheads who just rah rah anytime our government decides they're going to crack the skulls of some foreigners, no matter the reason. it has nothing to do with SA being an English language website based here

you racist twat

IAWTP.

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

Lutha Mahtin posted:

you racist twat

That's certainly a post that a non-nationalist with a sense of perspective would make in a football forum with a pun name.

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

I can't find the link itt, but wasn't there an article that said that the investigation was started by a guy who followed football because he grew up in England? Of course that's just what the government would want you to think if they actually started the investigation in order to get back at FIFA.

Not only that... he calls it 'football' instead of 'soccer'. Can you believe that? Wacky!

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
I think that Sepp Blatter should be allowed to post in TRP now because he is no longer president of fifa and also because he did nothing wrong.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
The Venezuelan FA ex-president who was arrested along all the other crooks is going to be extradited to New York this Friday and his lawyer said he's going to request he's released on bail for a in his words "cheap" $2m.

The Venezuelan FA recently said they are completely broke and they don't even have money to pay the plane tickets for the players...

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes
loving corrupt scumbags thieving money from the rest of the football world.

spanky69
Nov 5, 2004
I THINK sba HAS LOST HIS MIND. WOOOOOO DOGGIES PUPPIES KITTENS CRAP TURDS, love sba
Fun Shoe
Yeah we took the bribes, so what!

Give us our money back! :laffo:

http://www.espnfc.us/blog/fifa/243/post/2830672/fifa-admits-to-world-cup-hosting-bribes

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

This is unreal.

quote:

In the claim, lawyers for soccer's world body state: "FIFA has become notable for the defendants' bribery and corruption, not its many good works.

"FIFA is entitled to restitution for this harm to its business relationships, reputation and intangible property."

Yeah we did it. But now we want restitution for being charged with it because we did not-illegal stuff too.

Panama Red
Jul 30, 2003

Only in America could you find a way to earn a healthy buck and still keep your attitude on self destruct

Their argument is that it was just some "bad apples" who took bribes, and that the money really belongs to "football," so the U.S. gov't should please give "football's" money back to "football," AKA FIFA.

Basically it's an admission that South Africa only hosted the WC because they paid $10 mil in bribes to FIFA officials. When reached for comment, a South African govt spokesman blew into a vuvuzela while swimming in a pool of tourist money

(BTW Russia and Qatar are still OK because they get the WC because obviously corrupt oligarchs and resource-rich autocrats would never bribe anybody)

Panama Red fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Mar 16, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

blue footed boobie posted:

I think that Sepp Blatter should be allowed to post in TRP now because he is no longer president of fifa and also because he did nothing wrong.

Still waiting for an answer on this, mods.