Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

The Zombie Guy posted:

I'm playing on console.

My search for flying islands has been temporarily halted, due to an attack from Chthulu's eye. Fucker caught me unprepared and took me out.
Will it come after me again on its own, or will I have to summon it back? I've prepared a well-lit battlefield, and made a ton of flaming arrows.

You can't get anything useful out of your floating islands before doing the dungeon, which you really shouldn't do before the eye and eater.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

dis astranagant posted:

You can't get anything useful out of your floating islands before doing the dungeon, which you really shouldn't do before the eye and eater.

They removed the locked chests from islands in 1.2(?). You can open floating island chests without a key now. And floating island loot is definitely worth it if you can find it.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

The Zombie Guy posted:

Will it come after me again on its own, or will I have to summon it back? I've prepared a well-lit battlefield, and made a ton of flaming arrows.

You can make a summoning item using lenses dropped from the small eyes on the glowing altars you find underground a bunch and in the corruption/crimson.

It will still come back on its own every few nights though.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Doesn't Eye of Cthulu keep spawning until you kill it?

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

watho posted:

Doesn't Eye of Cthulu keep spawning until you kill it?
I think so.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I believe it has a 1/3 chance of spawning each night from when you achieve 10 hearts to the first time you kill it.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
You also need to have acquired some NPCs:
http://terraria.gamepedia.com/Eye_of_Cthulhu

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

The Lone Badger posted:

Make some Meteor bullets and walk along firing them straight up until you hear a ricochet.

This has never worked for me because the islands were just too high.

e: I lie, it's worked the one or two times an island spawned directly above a super tall mountain.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

The White Dragon posted:

This has never worked for me because the islands were just too high.

e: I lie, it's worked the one or two times an island spawned directly above a super tall mountain.

It works better on small maps.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
It works on medium maps, it just takes 4-5 seconds before you hear it impact the earth again. So just run one direction will firing upwards, you'll hear a thud eventually and that means an island is probably 4-5 seconds run behind you.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC

Spergminer posted:

They removed the locked chests from islands in 1.2(?). You can open floating island chests without a key now. And floating island loot is definitely worth it if you can find it.

He's on console though, which isn't at parity with the pc updates.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

GenericOverusedName posted:

He's on console though, which isn't at parity with the pc updates.
Well yeah, but the island change isn't recent, island chests haven't needed gold keys to open since 1.2. (The same update introduced things like the Crimson, the Jungle Temple, alternate ores, dyes, monster banners, and slopes.)
1.2 came out September 30th, 2013. And while it's true the console version took time to match up, 1.02 brought it to parity with PC's 1.2, and that was April 17th, 2014.

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

Progress is being made! I've killed the Eye of Cthulu, and stopped the Goblin Army. I managed to finally find a Horseshoe. A meteor fell, and I hacked it into little bits.
So I'm not too sure where to go from here.

I found an old guy in a temple that summoned a giant skeleton thing that quickly killed me. I tried to explore under the temple, and a skeleton thing flew up the passage and splattered me like road kill. I've explored the corrupted area and broken open some small blocks that summoned a massive fast moving worm thing. I've also started just trying to dig down as far as I can, and I'm in a lava and mushroom grove area at the moment.

The boss monsters seem pretty difficult so far. Not sure if I need to find better gear, or just make like :darksouls: and bash my head against the boss until I get their attacks and movements down pat. I'm currently wearing the Ancient Shadow set, or whatever the one that the Eater of Souls guys drop. Sword wise, I've got a broadsword that I forged from the ore that the Chthulu Eye dropped. Is it worth spending the cash to try and get better modifiers from the Goblin Tinkerer?

I also managed to fish some nifty gear out of the ocean at the end of the world. I still haven't found any of the weird fish that the Fisherman had asked me for. Do I have to find underground lakes for them?

The Zombie Guy fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Mar 29, 2016

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Each quest-fish comes only from a specific biome. The angler should say which one when he gives you the quest.

Killing the worm thing is probably your next step. For boss fights don't forget that your biggest ally is prep-time! Sculpt the surroundings into an arena fit for battle, and brew a ton of different potions (there's a quick-buff button to down them all at once).

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

The Zombie Guy posted:

Progress is being made! I've killed the Eye of Cthulu, and stopped the Goblin Army. I managed to finally find a Horseshoe. A meteor fell, and I hacked it into little bits.
So I'm not too sure where to go from here.

I found an old guy in a temple that summoned a giant skeleton thing that quickly killed me. I tried to explore under the temple, and a skeleton thing flew up the passage and splattered me like road kill. I've explored the corrupted area and broken open some small blocks that summoned a massive fast moving worm thing. I've also started just trying to dig down as far as I can, and I'm in a lava and mushroom grove area at the moment.

The boss monsters seem pretty difficult so far. Not sure if I need to find better gear, or just make like :darksouls: and bash my head against the boss until I get their attacks and movements down pat. I'm currently wearing the Ancient Shadow set, or whatever the one that the Eater of Souls guys drop. Sword wise, I've got a broadsword that I forged from the ore that the Chthulu Eye dropped. Is it worth spending the cash to try and get better modifiers from the Goblin Tinkerer?

I also managed to fish some nifty gear out of the ocean at the end of the world. I still haven't found any of the weird fish that the Fishermen had asked me for. Do I have to find underground lakes for them?
The giant skeleton is Skeletron. He's not too hard as long as you keep mobile and airborne, so I recommend building platforms around the dungeon you can hop on. The other skeleton thing is a Dungeon Guardian. They're nearly invincible, as they have a ridiculous amount of health and defense. Even the best endgame weapons, armor, and accessories combined will only yield 1 damage against them, 2 with a crit. They will always spawn if you go below 0 feet in the dungeon until you kill Skeletron.

The worm is the Eater of Worlds. He'll drop Demonite ore (like the Eye of Cthulhu) as well as Shadow Scales. The Scales allow you to craft more items with Demonite: Shadow Armor, Nightmare Pickaxe, and The Breaker (Demonite hammer). If you're using the Ancient Shadow set, it's the exact same as Shadow Armor, so don't bother crafting the Shadow set.

It's up to you whether or not you want to modify your weapon, but generally I tend to only use the Goblin Tinkerer for weapons that I know I'll use for a while. Broadswords and shortswords usually don't fall in that category.

For the Angler, the fish he requests have specific-level lakes they can spawn in: Floating island, surface, underground, cavern, and underworld, which I don't think you've reached yet. He usually gives clues in the tooltip.

Now, as from where to go from here, I usually craft Meteorite Armor from the meteor ore as well as the Space Gun (20 bars). If you need more, break one of the Shadow orbs in the corruption, aka those small blocks that summoned the Eater of Worlds (though you need to break three for him to spawn). Breaking one gives a chance for a Meteorite to spawn that night. Now, the nice thing about Meteorite armor is that its bonus is that the Space Gun takes no mana, so it has infinite ammo. With a great modifier, it's pretty drat deadly at this point in the game. From there, take down the Eater of Worlds and Skeletron, and explore the dungeon. Also, keep digging!

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

The Zombie Guy posted:

The boss monsters seem pretty difficult so far. Not sure if I need to find better gear, or just make like :darksouls: and bash my head against the boss until I get their attacks and movements down pat. I'm currently wearing the Ancient Shadow set, or whatever the one that the Eater of Souls guys drop. Sword wise, I've got a broadsword that I forged from the ore that the Chthulu Eye dropped.

Another option is to ask a friend to join your game. As long as there's another person nearby, the boss won't despawn. Jolly cooperation :darksouls:

(Just make sure that he's around the same equipment level as you, a guy in full Vortex going ham on an early game boss isn't cool.)

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Melee is more or less the option for people who like getting dunked on constantly. There's a reason why most late game melee weapons shoot projectiles. Try a demonite bow, a wand, or the space gun.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Mar 29, 2016

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Melee is completely fine up until you get around to activating hardmode and even then flails can work for a while. Although the best option in the late early-game is to go all out on thrown weapons.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

If you must go melee, keep breaking shadow orbs til you get the Ball o' Hurt. It has a lot more reach than a sword. Or go fishing in the ocean for a swordfish.

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

I've started to realize that melee combat is starting to be less effective as I progress. I made a magic wand using rubies, and it's been a pretty good addition to my broadsword.
I'll try the Space Gun / Meteor Armour combo next time I fire up the game and see how that goes.

I had a Ball O Hurt drop, and I tried it out for a few swings. I ended up tossing it in a storage chest because it didn't do as much damage as my sword.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

The Zombie Guy posted:

I had a Ball O Hurt drop, and I tried it out for a few swings. I ended up tossing it in a storage chest because it didn't do as much damage as my sword.

It can hit one enemy several times once you get the hang of it. The War Axe of Night is also pretty decent as a weapon. It's bigger than the sword, knocks dudes back a lot and you can just hold the button to keep attacking.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

TIL that blood zombies can jump higher than the player and easily get into my floating house.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

The Space Gun and Meteor Armor combo make normal a breeze, I usually try to cheese it out with sticky bombs before I even have a gold pick.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
That's the route I take. The first orb/heart you break gets you the meteor, then just blast it apart. I killed the eye in my game with the space gun cause I got it so quick.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

dis astranagant posted:

TIL that blood zombies can jump higher than the player and easily get into my floating house.

Doors are for chumps, trapdoors are where it's at.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

RareAcumen posted:

Doors are for chumps, trapdoors are where it's at.

Rolled a day 3 blood moon and hadn't had much luck finding stuff yet.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

dis astranagant posted:

Rolled a day 3 blood moon and hadn't had much luck finding stuff yet.

You'll get there, don't worry. Don't be afraid to harvest and scrap small worlds to get lots of materials if you need to.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

RareAcumen posted:

You'll get there, don't worry. Don't be afraid to harvest and scrap small worlds to get lots of materials if you need to.

Well, I was planning on roughing it since I hadn't done an expert crimson world, but then this world went something like crimson - snow- home - jungle, with the snow mostly crimsoned underground.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Melee is so changed now that yoyos are in. Why even bother with the Ball O Hurt when you can get the corrupt yoyo?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

2 consecutive early blood moons. The second is now a snowball fight with the doors blocked off.

Then a night off before yet another one. At least I have a snowball cannon this time.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Mar 30, 2016

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

Thread advice had paid off, thank you.

I made the meteor suit and a Space Gun, and took down the Eater of Worlds. I took the time to chip out a long, well-lit hallway to move around, I popped a few potions, and he went down like a chump.
Time to see if I can do the same to Skeletron.

While fishing, I pulled up a shark that functions as a pickaxe with 100% pick power. Is this a good one to hang on to for a while, or should I forge a pick from the shadow scale that EoW dropped?

The Zombie Guy fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Mar 31, 2016

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

The Zombie Guy posted:

While fishing, I pulled up a shark that functions as a pickaxe with 100% pick power. Is this a good one to hang on to for a while, or should I forge a pick from the shadow scale that EoW dropped?
Keep the shark pickaxe, that's a good find. It's tied for the best pickaxe power before hardmode, so you're set until then.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

symbolic posted:

Keep the shark pickaxe, that's a good find. It's tied for the best pickaxe power before hardmode, so you're set until then.

No tie to it. It's much, much faster than the molten pickaxe and fairly decent as a weapon when you inevitably need to keep poo poo off you while digging.

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

Ok so I took down Skeletron and explored the dungeon. I popped open a bunch of gold chests, I found the Mechanic, and I found some other chests I couldn't open. Found a Shadow Key, does that relate somehow?

Dug my way down to the bottom of the map. Found a Hellforge and burned myself to death trying to mine Hellstone for the first time. I mined enough to build a broadsword, and now I'm working on a suit of armour.
I tried using the Ball O Hurt and I just couldn't get used to the move set. I much prefer the broadsword method of "let it get up in my grill and smack it til it dies."

So now that Skeletron is down, where/what is the next boss I should be running into?

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
The purple locked chests need the shadow key you found, yeah. Now that you've uncovered Hell, you should start concentrating your efforts there if you're solely interested in progression.

However, if you want to explore around a bit, go the opposite direction from the dungeon and keep heading that way. You should eventually find a jungle. There might be some cool stuff to find in its underground.

And you should look into getting a bunch of obsidian. You can make an "obsidian skull" trinket that will render you immune to the burning effect of both meteor and hellstone. Obsidian is also one of the two ingredients used to make Hellstone bricks.

Something you might also consider doing is digging what we like to call a "hellevator" which is just a gigantic open shaft from the surface right down to Hell. Being able to return there quickly without a massive spelunking expedition is super helpful.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
Keep your eyes peeled for an NPC goblin too, if you haven't already found him. I'm not certain but I think he can spawn underground after you defeat a goblin army.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Crimson Harvest posted:

Keep your eyes peeled for an NPC goblin too, if you haven't already found him. I'm not certain but I think he can spawn underground after you defeat a goblin army.
You are correct.

kvx687
Dec 29, 2009

Soiled Meat

The Zombie Guy posted:

Ok so I took down Skeletron and explored the dungeon. I popped open a bunch of gold chests, I found the Mechanic, and I found some other chests I couldn't open. Found a Shadow Key, does that relate somehow?

Dug my way down to the bottom of the map. Found a Hellforge and burned myself to death trying to mine Hellstone for the first time. I mined enough to build a broadsword, and now I'm working on a suit of armour.
I tried using the Ball O Hurt and I just couldn't get used to the move set. I much prefer the broadsword method of "let it get up in my grill and smack it til it dies."

So now that Skeletron is down, where/what is the next boss I should be running into?

The Dungeon chests that are locked are the biome chests. You have an extremely small chance, like 1 in 2500 or so, of getting a key whenever you kill an enemy in the associated biome in hard mode, but even with a key the chests can't open until you defeat the underground jungle boss. They're super valuable though, they have a fixed weapon that's impossible to find anywhere else that tends to be pretty strong. The Crimson chest in particular is one of the most broken weapons in the game, it rapid-fires multiple magic daggers for no cost that deal okay damage and heal you whenever they hit an enemy.

If you want to use the ball and chain effectively, you need to learn how to 'swing' it around you. By moving in the opposite direction of where you're shooting and holding the mouse down, you can keep the ball bouncing back and forth like a pendulum, hitting enemies on both sides and keeping momentum going. It's pretty effective, albeit hell on the wrists. Alternately, you can just grapple to the floor, leave the ball out, and let enemies ram themselves to death on it, though you need a lot of health regen and armor for that to work.

The final boss of normal mode is located in Hell; he triggers when a Guide Voodoo Doll falls into lava. They're dropped by a variety of demon that's visibly holding one, so be careful where you shoot. To have a good chance of winning, you'll need to build a very long hellbridge (NOT out of stone) or get a pair of lava waders (combine a lava charm and I think the Spectre Boots at the tinkerer's workshop), plus a good ranged weapon and plenty of ammo/mana potions. Melee is not viable against this guy. Killing him triggers the start of hard mode, so be sure you've gotten the best weapons and armors you can before starting. Also, if you haven't already it would probably be a good idea to loot any sky islands, the underground jungle, and build up a railway network to any interesting locations.

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

Thanks for the tips folks.

I've found the jungle in my explorations, but I haven't tried digging underneath it. I'll give that a shot next time I'm playing.
I did find the Goblin Tinkerer and bought his Workshop in order to combine some of my goodies. I've made an Obsidian Horseshoe and the Arctic Diving gear already.
I've built a long elevator shaft with a rope that goes about 3/4 of the way down the map. I stopped when I hit a huge lava lake that was too much of a pain to drain. It lets me get down to the Hell level fairly quickly.

Good to know about the Hell boss / voodoo doll thing. I'll keep an eye out for that while I'm mining for Hellstone. I want to try and forge a complete set of the Hellstone armour to go along with my fiery sword.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

The Zombie Guy posted:

Thanks for the tips folks.

I've found the jungle in my explorations, but I haven't tried digging underneath it. I'll give that a shot next time I'm playing.
I did find the Goblin Tinkerer and bought his Workshop in order to combine some of my goodies. I've made an Obsidian Horseshoe and the Arctic Diving gear already.
I've built a long elevator shaft with a rope that goes about 3/4 of the way down the map. I stopped when I hit a huge lava lake that was too much of a pain to drain. It lets me get down to the Hell level fairly quickly.

Good to know about the Hell boss / voodoo doll thing. I'll keep an eye out for that while I'm mining for Hellstone. I want to try and forge a complete set of the Hellstone armour to go along with my fiery sword.

Spoilers: There are 22 NPCs in the game. So make that much room/space/houses/etc if you wanna house them all.