Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
can Normal and Cruel Izaro be airstriked from above, or is it a gated thing

(I ask because it turns out playing RF totems without a Purity of Fire spec is a reaaaaal pain until the fire immunity deigns to join the party)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

ronya posted:

can Normal and Cruel Izaro be airstriked from above, or is it a gated thing

wat

you mean if you can do the rest of the game before ascending? I'm pretty sure lots of HC people are doing that, I feel like I'm always ten levels higher than the lab level (on my third ascension with a tricurse Occultist preparing to snag my :cool: racing Whispering Ice)

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

Valle posted:

Yet.

If you walk up behindish the pyramid when you get out of it, you'll notice the top has...cogwheels? Sawblades? Actually, it's a tunnel borer! (Sort of.)

Also, there is no ice/snow level/act. Every game needs this, so that'll be there eventually, it won't just be forests! Or at least a snowy forest.

Vaal technodrome, act 6 town is a camp of Exile resistance slaves that were kidnapped by the Vaal morlocks holed up in the beast's decaying cyber-gooch.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*
Bebop, rock steady, and slash would all look pretty nifty in the poe art style, with slash Making the most sense because he doesn't have a gun.

Estraysian
Dec 29, 2008
Ripped my Voltaxic and Coil to a dc, time to reroll the tankiest character I can imagine.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Estraysian posted:

Ripped my Voltaxic and Coil to a dc, time to reroll the tankiest character I can imagine.

Blast rain with koams chest. Saw alkaizer get up to 10k hp.

Rashomon
Jun 21, 2006

This machine kills fascists

nightwisher posted:

Maybe it'll be like SOTN and we get an upside down wraeclast to fight through

This sounds great. Act 5 begins with a paltry fight with trash Malachai clones, and you progress backwards through acts 3, 2, and 1 to fight the real boss all along -- Ultra Hillock.

Ada
Apr 22, 2014

Practice proper gun's safety.
The real boss is the zombie that oneshots the dude on the beach

baby puzzle
Jun 3, 2011

I'll Sequence your Storm.
the official forums.jpg

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer
Assuming I randomly downloaded this because I'm unemployed and momentarily bored of stardew valley, how far in can I be before I start really caring about builds, and have I hosed up in any way by making my first ever character on Perandus, or is there no functional difference for a clueless newbie here.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
You did a good job starting on perandus, and your choice to make your own build is good for the long term. Get more life nodes than you think you'll need

Ada
Apr 22, 2014

Perandus has some golden chests scattered around that drop coins, and occasionally a fat dude will trade you stuff for the coins. That's all the league is. The mobs that guard the chests can be kinda tough, but you can usually get around them if you can't kill them.

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Bushiz posted:

Assuming I randomly downloaded this because I'm unemployed and momentarily bored of stardew valley, how far in can I be before I start really caring about builds, and have I hosed up in any way by making my first ever character on Perandus, or is there no functional difference for a clueless newbie here.

Perandus is where you should be - and you can fumble your way through Normal without following any coherent build. Which is actually not a bad way to figure out what interest you.

Just understand that your first character will probably be irreparably broken but will help you understand what you are looking for. Don't be afraid to roll a new character, you can beat normal in less than 3 hours and general playtime from start to end game (maps) is ~10 hours.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

play until the game stuffs you into a hole in the ground and then shits on your exposed head

then come back and ask us what went wrong. the answers will make a lot more sense then

J
Jun 10, 2001

Bushiz posted:

You can get all the way through the story on normal difficulty playing by the seat of your pants and using whatever you think seems cool. Do grab life nodes though, and try to get life and resistance on gear when you can. Perandus league is perfectly fine to start on. Once you get about halfway through cruel difficulty if your build sucks you'll start feeling it. By the time that happens you'll know if you like the game enough to stick with it. But this is a game very much intended for you to make multiple characters. Levelling will go by much faster once you start to learn the game a bit.

Elerion
May 31, 2011
1. Your first ever character should be on Perandus. Correct choice.

2. If you don't read up about anything, your first ever character will probably be hosed around the time you hit act 4 cruel. Then you start over. Don't worry - that's not a waste of time. Currency (those orbs that drop) drops at the same pace at level 1 as level 50, so you'll keep accumulating wealth even if you start over. Most people do that several times per league.

3. If you absolutely want to avoid starting over, I would follow a build by this dude: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=user?LiftingNerdBro?videos . Choose any of the latest ones marked "Ascendancy". They are solid, basic builds which will work well for beginners.

4. If nothing else, take these two tips to heart: First, your main objective in the passive tree is to get +life. You should normally get every node in sight. Second, don't use any orbs except Transmutation and Augmentation unless you know what you're doing.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

Elerion posted:

4. If nothing else, take these two tips to heart: First, your main objective in the passive tree is to get +life. You should normally get every node in sight. Second, don't use any orbs except Transmutation and Augmentation unless you know what you're doing.
I'd say chromes are generally fine to use as well. Though keep in mind that colors are weighted by item attribute requirements.

ImsaKidd
Jul 20, 2008

baby puzzle posted:

the official forums.jpg

You forgot:

Peace,
-Boem-

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

ronya posted:

boss fight with cadiro: every time he hits you, you lose an exalt

Joke's on you, Cadiro, I'm poor as poo poo. :smug:

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer
Thanks, everyone.

After an hour of dicking around, I seem to be coming into magic items way more often than I'm coming into scrolls of wisdom, should I be vendoring unidentified blues, picking up every white item I find and vendoring them for scrolls to identify the blues, or just throwing unidentified poo poo in my stash and expecting to come into a shitload of scrolls of wisdom at some point.

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

lurksion posted:

I'd say chromes are generally fine to use as well. Though keep in mind that colors are weighted by item attribute requirements.

This is a very important point and worth learning early on. Certain off-color combinations will require an average of 240 chromes to get. Chromes are dirt cheap but be careful that you stock a sufficient supply of chromes before you try to get 4 off color sockets on a 4 socket item.

Also a good rule for any currency usage is to "Never use more currency on the item than the item is worth."

I've lost track of the number of people who were proud of the 4 chaos cost life crafted mod on an item not even worth 1.

Before you craft mods for chaos - check what spending those at poe.trade rather than the crafting bench would get you.

Same goes for shopping on poe.trade - the cheapest item may end up costing more if you still need to 4 socket and 4 link it. Linking and socketing is unpredictable and it's very easy to lose track of the costs 16 fusings is 10 chaos orbs.

Ada
Apr 22, 2014

Bushiz posted:

Thanks, everyone.

After an hour of dicking around, I seem to be coming into magic items way more often than I'm coming into scrolls of wisdom, should I be vendoring unidentified blues, picking up every white item I find and vendoring them for scrolls to identify the blues, or just throwing unidentified poo poo in my stash and expecting to come into a shitload of scrolls of wisdom at some point.

Well you can sell transmute, alteration, scraps, whetstones, and portal currency items for scrolls if you need them, but magic items are very, very common, and not usually worth much. You should only id blues that are directly relevant to your build, and even then it's not often worth it. Jewelry (rings, amulets, belts) are frequently good, though.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

Bushiz posted:

Thanks, everyone.

Here's what I pick up when starting out in a league:

*All currency (duh)
*R-G-B linked items (sell to town vendor for Chromatic Orb)
*Smaller weapons/armor/flasks with quality. Vendor 40% worth of quality in one go for a Blacksmith's Whetstone/Armourer's Scrap/Glassblower's Bauble. The former I stop collecting after I get enough Scrolls of Wisdom (Whetstones vendor 1:4 Wisdom, Scraps 1:2). Baubles are for end-game crafting potions.
*All Rares. ID, save whatever might help your current/future characters, vendor the crap. You're probably not going to find anything worth selling to other players at level <50.
*All Uniques. At worst, you might get something that'll make leveling another character easier.
*Blue items that might help out your current character.

One thing that would help would be to look into using an Item Filter. There are plenty of pre-made ones out there that will help you sort the wheat from the chaff. I personally use Neversink's.

Subsequent characters I only look at rares that might help me or a future character out. Makes leveling much faster since I'm stopping far far less than the first time around.

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Bushiz posted:

Thanks, everyone.

First install a loot filter: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1246208/page/1

I personally only identify items that could be an upgrade to me or top tier items from maps that have potential for high rolls.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Bushiz posted:

Thanks, everyone.

It's a very good idea, at least very early on, to only identify yellows you can immediately use (if they turn out to not be poo poo), and sell everything else for transmutation shards.

magic (blue) items aren't much more power at low levels than whites and you can sell transmutation orbs for four scrolls of wisdom a pop.

usually, doing this, you'll have enough transmutation orbs and scrolls of wisdom to comfortably start identifying every yellow you see, for sale or use, buy about level six or so.

Ada
Apr 22, 2014

FileNotFound posted:

First install a loot filter: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1246208/page/1

I personally only identify items that could be an upgrade to me or top tier items from maps that have potential for high rolls.

I just horde every rare ever for the chaos/regal recipes and throw the trash in a 1 jeweler buyout tab till I have a set. I get a few sells on items that have stat rolls but not much else sometimes.

Elerion
May 31, 2011
You guys are overcomplicating this like crazy.

New guy: Only ID yellows. Sell what you can't use to vendor. Throw away blues.

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

Bushiz posted:

Thanks, everyone.

As others have said, pretty much just pick up rares and identify them, you'll get wisdom scrolls slightly faster than rares drop. It's okay to leave tons of loot behind, your time is generally better spent killing mobs than interacting with vendors.

As for judging whether a rare piece of equipment is worth keeping, aside from the obvious cases, there's a few properties you should specifically look for:
Attack Weapons:
- % increased physical damage
- added physical damage
Spell Weapons:
- + to level of socketed gems (can be more specific, like 'lightning gems', just make sure it's not 'melee gems')
- % increased spell damage
- added damage to spells (not to be confused with just "added damage", that's for attacks)
Armor:
- % fire/cold/lightning resist (% elemental resist provides all three)
- + maximum life
- % increased armor/evasion/energy shield (same as what the item provides)
- added armor/evasion/energy shield (same as what the item provides)
- % increased movement speed (only boots get this)

These properties make for good items for anyone; other properties are more build/character-specific, and you'll know which ones you're specifically looking for.

Valle
Apr 16, 2004

Telling customers how to solve world problems since 2001

Ada posted:

Perandus has some golden chests scattered around that drop coins, and occasionally a fat dude will trade you stuff for the coins. That's all the league is. The mobs that guard the chests can be kinda tough, but you can usually get around them if you can't kill them.

The mobs can be kinda tough, which is probably why they give a nice chunk of exp. I've been gaining more levels/difficulty in perandus than ever before.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Anyone running an ice trap build? I've been reading one on the forum that looks like it might be kind of fun to play.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

baby puzzle posted:

the official forums.jpg

how much money has that dude spent on the game? the last badge alone is $440

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Awesome! posted:

how much money has that dude spent on the game? the last badge alone is $440

Diamond = $1,000 (he has made multiple uniques so at least 3,000 but I think its closer to 5k)

Ruler = $12,500

Conquerer = $900

Grandmaster = $500

Highgate = $1,100

Ascendant = $440

He is the biggest whale in the poe community by far.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

big idiot subsidizes my gameplay

MerrMan
Aug 3, 2003

queeb posted:

Anyone running an ice trap build? I've been reading one on the forum that looks like it might be kind of fun to play.

I started levelling one after finding a 16% qual ice trap. The video of it made it seem fun just nuking whole screens of dudes. I tried using some fire trap to get used to the playstyle and... didn't love it. Then one guide suggested using mines which sounded cool since I had never used them. Holy poo poo, hated it. I found it to be super clunky.

The other build I found on the forums suggested just levelling as spark / orb of storms and I had already done that once and didn't feel like doing it in a worse way while trying to grab trap nodes. Seems like the ascendancy points are really important too so that means waiting even longer to come online.

This was the best guide I found on the forums:
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1597243

Seemed pretty solid. I just didn't love it.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Bugsy posted:

Diamond = $1,000 (he has made multiple uniques so at least 3,000 but I think its closer to 5k)

Ruler = $12,500

Conquerer = $900

Grandmaster = $500

Highgate = $1,100

Ascendant = $440

holy poo poo

scissorman
Feb 7, 2011
Ramrod XTreme
How soon should I start looking at buying stuff via trading?
I'm currently following this spark totem build https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1585297/page/1
I just finished Act 3 Normal and I think I'm progressing well, though the Perandus chest mobs can be a bit intense.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
I probably wouldn't touch trading until Merciless unless it's for a unique that your build uses that can be used sooner.

Ada
Apr 22, 2014

Someone from the goon guild might be kind enough to donate some decent leveling items if you ask. As a caster a good wand can carry you really far, so maybe buying one for an alch or something might be enough. Like, here's a "+1 lightning, +60% spell" damage for an alch

code:
@ArrowCrits Hi, I would like to buy your Doom Charm Crystal Wand listed for 1 alchemy in Perandus (stash tab "~b/o 1 alch")
e: Here's a "53% spell damage, 16% lightning damage, 12% cast speed"

code:
@Gemling_Saboteur Hi, I would like to buy your Pain Spell Sage Wand listed for 1 alchemy in Perandus (stash tab "~b/o 1 alch")

Ada fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Mar 16, 2016

climboutonalimb
Sep 4, 2004

I get knocked down but I get up again You are never going to keep me down

Bugsy posted:

Ruler = $12,500

Conquerer = $900

Grandmaster = $500

Highgate = $1,100

Ascendant = $440

If you spend that much money on a game you probably expect them to cater to your every whim. Thus, when things don't go as he wants, it's "Lame..."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ada
Apr 22, 2014

Didn't one of the sharks "persuade" GGG from elevating a temp ban to a perma ban with Cybrix or something?

• Locked thread