Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
black potus
Jul 13, 2006
Ob Nix has the convenient upside of not asking why you're not playing Baby Jace.

e: Whew I almost fell off the wagon there.

black potus fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Mar 16, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Entropic posted:

He really really does.
Day of Judgment, into Jace -2 bounce your one dude, into start scry-drawing cards with removal and counters up seems like a deck I want to play.

Give me drownyards again and then we'll talk. :getin:

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

black potus posted:

Ob Nix has the convenient upside of not asking why you're not playing Baby Jace.

e: Whew I almost fell off the wagon there

This.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Sigarda doesn't have hexproof because she is leaving herself vulnerable to focus on protecting those around her. She's a story-focused legend.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Chill la Chill posted:

Imagine if they had a set with, get this, 420 cards :D

5th Edition provides.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Angry Grimace posted:

telekinesis, a power he didn't have last week,

It's a blue spell.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

mehall posted:

5th Edition provides.

and it's perfect for a topical alter!

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

whydirt posted:

Sigarda doesn't have hexproof because she is leaving herself vulnerable to focus on protecting those around her. She's a story-focused legend.

That and the fact that if you sat down at a prerelease not knowing the set and your opponent said "I play Sigarda, Host of Herons" and you looked at the card you might consider quitting Magic

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
To be fair you were probably considering that already since you were at the AVR prerelease.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

mehall posted:

5th Edition provides.

Wow, I love this art.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
If you are wanting to play drana and don't have them, this is your last call to get them for under 10 bucks for a little while. MTG finance grognards are already discussing specs openly this morning, so this is something that is probably already on its way up.

If you don't want to play this card and vampire decks isn't something you feel like you will want to play, hold on to this card if you already have it until its closer to 20 bucks. Hell, this card could net you khans fetches in value very quickly in shops with big standard crowds the closer to rotation we get.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

The Shortest Path posted:

I dunno I think a magic set that was actually based on eastern mythological themes and conveyed them properly through the cards instead of whatever the gently caress Kamigawa was would be pretty good. Scrapping the Legendary theme entirely might have given Kamigawa room to convey its story elements properly, because there were too many random legendary creatures that had no relevance to anything and were essentially no different from generic creatures.

Wizards tends to lump up multiple problems into one. Real eastern mythology is off the table forever because they did it once and no one liked it* and that's why maro says Anime World is more likely than Kamigawa 2, so they can restart and make Goku

* because they did a really bad job in a few different ways

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

black potus posted:

To be fair you were probably considering that already since you were at the AVR prerelease.

I must be the random guy that loved AVR. I enjoyed that set thoroughly.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Drana is so meh though.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Angry Grimace posted:

He says he's going anyways, and she tells him to stay the night, which causes Jace to immediately get hopeful he's gonna score. Instead he has to sleep in a dungeon.
Haha, suck it nerd.

I really want them to start treating Jace like Redgar.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Sigarda had zero ways of killing her outside of combat damage in the limited environment she was in, I think this one is fine.

She's not great unless her last ability becomes relevant in a really grindy deck, I imagine.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Sickening posted:

I promise that if you form your own opinion of things the boogeyman won't get you.

I do, but I don't feel a need to really say anything until after the entire set is spoiled. When, you know, there will be full context for matters.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

mcmagic posted:

Drana is so meh though.

Eh, its a vampire and people like playing vampires. And if we are being honest, drana is a powerful card that is just meh in the current meta.

Ramos posted:

I do, but I don't feel a need to really say anything until after the entire set is spoiled. When, you know, there will be full context for matters.

Discussing spoiled cards is just something people enjoy doing. If everyone didn't dicuss spoiled cards that trickle in we would be left with... story/lore chat. Nobody wants that.

Sickening fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Mar 16, 2016

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

code:
Rise From the Tides
5U
Sorcery
Put a 2/2 black Zombie creature token onto the battlefield for each instant and/or sorcery card in your graveyard. 

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

There's a difference between 'stating an early opinion' and 'making sweeping conclusions about a card'. The former is fine and good, the second is bad when we don't have context. In particular we don't know what/if/how many other vampire/madness payoffs there are. Olivia along with the other vampires we've seen is highly dependent on those cards.

see also: whether rattlechains is really good or just another 1U 2/1 flier. There's really not much to conclude about the card when we haven't seen many spirits.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

The Shortest Path posted:

Sigarda had zero ways of killing her outside of combat damage in the limited environment she was in, I think this one is fine.

She's not great unless her last ability becomes relevant in a really grindy deck, I imagine.

Not true, bonfire and terminus were in that set.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Sickening posted:

Eh, its a vampire and people like playing vampires. And if we are being honest, drana is a powerful card that is just meh in the current meta.

I can't come up with a standard where she would be good. She's a 2/3 for 3 that does nothing the turn she comes into play and you need a big board to get any real value out of her.

Henron
Feb 19, 2010

Arms held out
In your Jesus Christ pose

Death Bot posted:

Wizards tends to lump up multiple problems into one. Real eastern mythology is off the table forever because they did it once and no one liked it* and that's why maro says Anime World is more likely than Kamigawa 2, so they can restart and make Goku

* because they did a really bad job in a few different ways

i want a future trunks card in the dbz magic world, ty.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Not true, bonfire and terminus were in that set.

Path did mention limited environment. I don't recall either of those being easy to grab at common or uncommon.

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.

Elyv posted:

code:
Rise From the Tides
5U
Sorcery
Put a 2/2 black Zombie creature token onto the battlefield for each instant and/or sorcery card in your graveyard. 

Gonna rebound this with Narset. :getin:

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
God, that naming. Mobilizing for just a person reads so poorly.

Olivia, girded for war
Olivia voldaren, lord general
Olivia, revanchist
Olivia, angels bane

Like, loving please wotc I'm :qq:ing here

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

mcmagic posted:

I can't come up with a standard where she would be good. She's a 2/3 for 3 that does nothing the turn she comes into play and you need a big board to get any real value out of her.

She fits really well in an aggressive (non-hangarback/P&K) RB dragons build, in such a way that if you're untapping with her in play, you're very likely to win that game.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Cactrot posted:

She fits really well in an aggressive (non-hangarback/P&K) RB dragons build, in such a way that if you're untapping with her in play, you're very likely to win that game.

RB Dragons decks were playing THOPTER ENGINEER in the 3 drop slot because they didn't want to play her so much.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Ramos posted:

Path did mention limited environment. I don't recall either of those being easy to grab at common or uncommon.

That's true but she wasn't exactly easy to get either, drawing a limited bomb like her was just awesome for the lucky guy.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Has there been any hint at all as to a rare dual land cycle in SoI?
AFAIK the number crunch rules out M10 or ISD check-lands but there's still room for a new cycle we don't know the names of.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

mcmagic posted:

You are one of those people that sees value in a creature that can take over a game next turn. She can be one of those cards. She also fits in a standard where a deck has synergy with vampires and has aggressive creatures. The one flyer that gave her trouble is about to rotate and unless another flyer stops her on the relevant turns she is pretty great. She could very well go back to not having a deck after rotation.

I have had 3 in the binder from packs and at the very least she could net me some value from being a mythic vampire in a vampire set at release.

mcmagic posted:

RB Dragons decks were playing THOPTER ENGINEER in the 3 drop slot because they didn't want to play her so much.

RB needed a card at 3 to go wide with more than it needed a card to reward going wide at 3. It also had synergy with pia and hangarback to give immediate damage.

Sickening fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Mar 16, 2016

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

mcmagic posted:

Thopter engineer is a better card in a build that plays hangerback and P&K, Drana is better in builds that don't.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Errant Gin Monks posted:

That's true but she wasn't exactly easy to get either, drawing a limited bomb like her was just awesome for the lucky guy.

Planeswalkers are limited bombs but you can do things about them.

You can't do things about Sigarda, Host of Herons.

It's the lovely cherry on top of an already awful limited environment.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The vampires deck will have a lot of mythics, drat.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
I can see a fun esper control deck taking shape in my mind

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Planeswalkers are limited bombs but you can do things about them.

You can't do things about Sigarda, Host of Herons.

It's the lovely cherry on top of an already awful limited environment.

Meh, gently caress limited its dumb anyway. I never took it too seriously in AVR and rarely do now.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

Errant Gin Monks posted:

i'm thinking UW since Esper will be too hard to do with the manabase, but I see where your head is at. Reflector Mage, Just the Wind, poo poo like that to let you survive til you can proc a Thing in the Ice, or just win with Topplegeist

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Meh, gently caress limited its dumb anyway. I never took it too seriously in AVR and rarely do now.

Limited is the only thing that's fun about magic.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Booster Draft is the one true format. Everything else is just fun ways to get some use out of the cards you drafted.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Yes there were technically two spells at rare that killed Sigarda but seriously.

Both of them cost more mana than her to play too unless you're even luckier than the guy who pulled Sigarda in the first place.

Large, evasive creatures shouldn't get hexproof unless there are ways to kill them through it at common in their set.

Fajita Queen fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Mar 16, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
The only reason there wasn't a ton more whining about Sigarda in limited was that AVR limited was so terrible no one played it.

• Locked thread