Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Blessed you are, my child.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

LOVE LOVE SKELETON posted:

"we will do the thing you want if you send a bunch of pissy tweets"-a pr person who is already fired
"We won't do the thing but here's an excuse for you to do free viral marketing for us".

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

They said the same thing about the Vita version of that Seiken Densetsu remake and nothing came of that either I don't think.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I was just thinking other day about how some company could probably plan to bring over both versions of some Japanese PS4/Vita game but then only announce the PS4 version at first then turn things around and get the loud, angry Vita people who post in these comments sections to viral market the hell out of the game for them. Then when they've been tapped dry, they just announce that the fan response was "larger than expected" or something and announce the Vita version like they planned to. Comment idiots feel like they accomplished something, publisher looks real consumer minded, probably build some fan base there. But yeah then they'll bitch about no physical release because it's 2016 and they're Vita owners who somehow don't understand how being in the West typically precludes those from being common.

I think SquareSoft did that with FF Origins for PS1 back in the day.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

Schrodingers cat posted:

Persona 4 G is why I bought a Vita but it's really not the best reason to buy one.... seriously.

You're right, Gravity Rush and Miku are.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7oBHkj9F8g

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Policenaut posted:

I was just thinking other day about how some company could probably plan to bring over both versions of some Japanese PS4/Vita game but then only announce the PS4 version at first then turn things around and get the loud, angry Vita people who post in these comments sections to viral market the hell out of the game for them. Then when they've been tapped dry, they just announce that the fan response was "larger than expected" or something and announce the Vita version like they planned to. Comment idiots feel like they accomplished something, publisher looks real consumer minded, probably build some fan base there. But yeah then they'll bitch about no physical release because it's 2016 and they're Vita owners who somehow don't understand how being in the West typically precludes those from being common.

I think SquareSoft did that with FF Origins for PS1 back in the day.

At least it's better than that one dude who work(ed?) at Sony who promised a lot of stuff for the Vita being localized and then nothing ever came of it.

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.

HGH posted:

Translation: We're too lazy to fix our lovely rear end Unity game so you're not getting it.

If they localize it for Vita people will just complain about the loading times.

The loading times aren't even the worst I've seen (Sen's JP release had terrible loading times) but I'm chalking this up to western entitlement. People want what they can't have.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Nep wins again.

thorsilver
Feb 20, 2005

You have never
been at my show
You haven't seen before
how looks the trumpet

Policenaut posted:

But yeah then they'll bitch about no physical release because it's 2016 and they're Vita owners who somehow don't understand how being in the West typically precludes those from being common.

Gonna keep bitching about no physical releases because digital releases can't be resold or lent to my friends and I think that's poo poo.

Although sometimes physical releases are a bit of a farce, I admit. loving 4GB day-one patches for Estival Versus? What the hell happened there? Now I have to delete some anime boobs to make way for these anime boobs.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The game was hilariously broken and full of bugs when it came out in Japan

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Endorph posted:

i wouldn't really say jak and daxter 2 and 3 are 'more edgy,' just have more of a plot. daxter spends the entire game making fun of the story's attempts at getting darker so it's hard to take it at face value.

In 2 you can shotgun cops and there's a wanted level and there's a few scenes of Daxter talkin about getting horny off of boobs. It's a pretty big departure

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Sakurazuka posted:

It's *still* a little buggy, but you're not falling through the floor and getting stuck in level geometry anymore. And models actually load.

thorsilver
Feb 20, 2005

You have never
been at my show
You haven't seen before
how looks the trumpet

Sakurazuka posted:

Yeah it must've been... a 4GB patch is basically replacing the entire game, isn't it? Was it missing massive amounts of content as well?

MisterAlex
Dec 4, 2004

For Blood, Comic Mischief, Mature Humor, Nudity, Strong Language, Suggestive Themes, Use of Alcohol, and Intense Violence.

Online Interactions Not Rated.
Does copying PS1 games to the Vita still work? I've got several that I bought for my PS3, and I wouldn't mind playing Parasite Eve again.

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart

thorsilver posted:

Gonna keep bitching about no physical releases because digital releases can't be resold or lent to my friends and I think that's poo poo.

Although sometimes physical releases are a bit of a farce, I admit. loving 4GB day-one patches for Estival Versus? What the hell happened there? Now I have to delete some anime boobs to make way for these anime boobs.
Yeah, it's ALL of the bug fixes and add-on updates from the Japanese version crammed into one huge update. I think there will be one small update to 1.18 later on, but that's it.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

MisterAlex posted:

Does copying PS1 games to the Vita still work? I've got several that I bought for my PS3, and I wouldn't mind playing Parasite Eve again.

A lot of them you can just download from the store. I played through PE on a vita last year.

MisterAlex
Dec 4, 2004

For Blood, Comic Mischief, Mature Humor, Nudity, Strong Language, Suggestive Themes, Use of Alcohol, and Intense Violence.

Online Interactions Not Rated.

In Training posted:

A lot of them you can just download from the store. I played through PE on a vita last year.

Oh, okay. Cool! I guess that video is a bit outdated. :v:

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

MisterAlex posted:

Oh, okay. Cool! I guess that video is a bit outdated. :v:

I think there are some PSX games that can only be added like that. I know I had to do it to get FF Tactics on the Vita. Idk it's a weird system

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Megalixir posted:

but I'm chalking this up to western entitlement. People want what they can't have.

Yes it is filthy western entitlement that people in the Vita thread are bummed about the lack of a Vita version of a game that came out for the Vita in Japan.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Jesus if it bothers you that much why don't you just learn Japanese :rolleyes:

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

look sometimes I just can't contain all my yearning and envy for glorious Nippon, the only land where my gentlemanly class and swordsmanship would be properly respected

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Sakurazuka posted:

Jesus if it bothers you that much why don't you just learn Japanese :rolleyes:

I am surprised at how many people posted this sentiment seriously as I have been digging around for translated info on Exist Archive before it shows up

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Reminder that Setsuna's Vita version is atrocious and they are doing you a favor by not making you waste your money on it. We are talking hard crashes due to memory leaks and constant slowdown on everything including interacting with menus.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
The idea is they should also fix it.

In Training posted:

I am surprised at how many people posted this sentiment seriously as I have been digging around for translated info on Exist Archive before it shows up
It's a lazy retort used to justify business decisions without having to look like you're sucking up to a company since no one actually cares if a decision is good/bad on a corporate level.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Saoshyant posted:

Reminder that Setsuna's Vita version is atrocious and they are doing you a favor by not making you waste your money on it. We are talking hard crashes due to memory leaks and constant slowdown on everything including interacting with menus.

I would rather not have a Vita version at all than deal with the headache that this would cause me, and I imagine they probably feel the same way. I mean, they should have made the game not terrible on the Vita to begin with, but you know how it goes.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I'd be buying the PS4 version anyway, sorry Vita

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

HGH posted:

The idea is they should also fix it.

It's a lazy retort used to justify business decisions without having to look like you're sucking up to a company since no one actually cares if a decision is good/bad on a corporate level.

They can't fix unity being a piece of poo poo.

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.

Saoshyant posted:

I mean that's one way of looking at it, but they really should patch the Japanese version to stop their own Japanese-speaking demographic from bitching. Falcom do. Gust do. Fromsoftware do. Even Suda51 did. This is Tokyo RPG Factory's first game, they should take care of it.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Healbot posted:

They can't fix unity being a piece of poo poo.

Seriously.

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

squeak... squeak... SQUEAK!
Lipstick Apathy

Mithaldu posted:

You're right, Gravity Rush and Miku are.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7oBHkj9F8g

I never played a Miku game on the vita, only PSP. Gravity Rush is probably one of the actual "must play" games on the system.

I'm not saying P4G isn't a good game, it's a great game, but I don't think it's "full-price system purchase back when it came out" good on its own.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I bought a Vita just to play P4G even though I had already beaten it on PS2.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Freedom Wars for £9.50, yay or nay? I'm not finished with MH4U on 3DS, or SSD.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

In Training posted:

I bought a Vita just to play P4G even though I had already beaten it on PS2.
Yep, same for me though I was also planning ahead for when Ys Celceta was going to come out.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Lemon-Lime posted:

Freedom Wars for £9.50, yay or nay? I'm not finished with MH4U on 3DS, or SSD.

You just answered that question yourself, but hey, I love people who just keep buying games they won't ever play like I do, so "yea".

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Saoshyant posted:

You just answered that question yourself, but hey, I love people who just keep buying games they won't ever play like I do, so "yea".

The question is more "does it offer something significantly different from other hunting games that makes it worth playing despite the fact that I've not run out of MH4U or SSD." :v:

Same question for Toukiden Kiwami, since that's also discounted.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Lemon-Lime posted:

Freedom Wars for £9.50, yay or nay?

may

I enjoyed both. I think Freedom Wars has the best character customization and giant enemy fights out of the MH clones, but small enemies are a pain, the crafting is super-grindy RNG bullshit, and there's a whole lot of pointless wandering around your way-too-large home base.

Toukiden, on the other hand, has a decently small town, no randomness in crafting(although there's still lots of grinding), and no long stretches where you don't get to fight anything.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

Schrodingers cat posted:

I never played a Miku game on the vita, only PSP.
That almost deserves a :getout: Unless you actually dislike vocaloid music, miku is a massive reason to own a vita, with 2 games being out, of amazing quality, and a third coming.

Lemon-Lime posted:

The question is more "does it offer something significantly different from other hunting games that makes it worth playing despite the fact that I've not run out of MH4U or SSD." :v:
It's a game that offers a good amount of gun gameplay, as well as a grappling hook, and a very different aesthetic. If any of these appeal to you, then it's worth it. It's not without its faults though. The start is very slow, there are occasional missions where you have gun battles with other humans, which just suck and often can't be cheesed multiplayer, and the crafting system is built to be very time intensive and obtuse, seemingly with the intent to keep people from min-maxing and having everyone run around with identical optimized weapons.

Lemon-Lime posted:

Same question for Toukiden Kiwami, since that's also discounted.
From what little i could tell in the demo Toukiden is literally "monster hunter, but on the vita, with less budget, and slightly different enemies".

thorsilver
Feb 20, 2005

You have never
been at my show
You haven't seen before
how looks the trumpet

Mithaldu posted:

From what little i could tell in the demo Toukiden is literally "monster hunter, but on the vita, with less budget, and slightly different enemies".

Kinda, but the actual gameplay loop is pretty different. The mitama system is really different from the armour skills system of MonHun, and completely eliminates the need for consumable items (which is fantastic IMHO). The combat itself is faster paced, somewhat easier, and had super moves and aerial weapons before Monster Hunter X.

I'd also disagree with 'slightly different enemies', all the Toukiden monsters are drawn from Japanese mythology and are really different in aesthetics from the MH bestiary.

Also the music in Toukiden is really really good.

Anyway for a first entry in a MH clone series Toukiden is really really good, way less grindy than MH and has its own ancient-Japanesey vibe going on. MHX still has more varied/nuanced gameplay, but then again it's the best-playing entry in a much longer-running series with a much bigger fanbase/budget, so that's pretty acceptable IMO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Ugh Cold Steel is on sale for £20 already, why do I keep buying games when they're new?