Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

apple posted:

So basically if you turn off vsync to get ~80ms of input lag on PC you're potentially gaining some form of advantage over PS4 users. I'm curious to see how the SFV netcode handles the discrepancy in input lag during crossplay, if at all.. :v:

I don't think it should affect the connection, same as using a laggier controler.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

yo, feel free to make fun of me, but can someone explain this concept to me: https://twitter.com/jav1ts/status/710127488605802499

Mr Fixit
Mar 7, 2008

apple posted:

So basically if you turn off vsync to get ~80ms of input lag on PC you're potentially gaining some form of advantage over PS4 users. I'm curious to see how the SFV netcode handles the discrepancy in input lag during crossplay, if at all.. :v:

This is just another reason for ps4 users to disable cross play imo. PC users already can use alt-tab and force the lag on their opponent.

When playing against people that would lag, I noticed the majority of them where when I was playing against a PC. The weird type where it works great at first, then drops right out. I changed my settings to ps4 and 5 bar only. This hasn't had any noticible effect on finding matches, and no more lag.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Mr Fixit posted:

This is just another reason for ps4 users to disable cross play imo. PC users already can use alt-tab and force the lag on their opponent.

When playing against people that would lag, I noticed the majority of them where when I was playing against a PC. The weird type where it works great at first, then drops right out. I changed my settings to ps4 and 5 bar only. This hasn't had any noticible effect on finding matches, and no more lag.

i thought alt tab just swapped the lag that already existed over to the other guy so someone was having an unplayable match either way

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

fozzy fosbourne posted:

yo, feel free to make fun of me, but can someone explain this concept to me: https://twitter.com/jav1ts/status/710127488605802499

if you do a move and someone does normal wakeup and mashes jab your move will hit them during the first active frame of the jab (landing a counterhit).

or

you do a move and the last active frame of the move will also hit them on the first frame they wake up on as a meaty.

this is because the difference in timing between the last active frame of normal wakeup + jab is within 3 frames of just doing a backroll.

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Using the first picture as an example:

Necalli's s.HP has 9 frames of startup and 5 active frames (only four are shown here because that's all that's needed). The highlighted boxes are the active frames, and the non-highlighted boxes are startup frames.

The shaded boxes are animation frames for quickrise and backroll. Backroll has 5 extra frames of animation than quickrise. The numbers after the shaded boxes are the startup frames of the 3f normal, before they're active.

Where it says "CH" is which frame you get the counterhit. If you time it right, the first active frame of s.HP will counterhit on a quickrise, and the fourth will counterhit on backroll. This is because the 3f normal is still in startup when it coincides with the active frame of s.HP.

The second picture is the same idea, you just have to time Bison's s.MP later so he shows less animation frames (shaded boxes) for the quickrise and backroll, and the normal to be beat is 4f instead of three, hence counting to four after the shaded boxes.

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

ZenVulgarity posted:

You and all ten people online

It's not his fault we're all little pieces of poo poo bitches

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
i think that dude's derek smart every time

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Does the Alt+Tab trick actually work? I've tried it a few times when the connection was really bad but it never seemed to change anything.

I actually feel like PS4 players have some kind of innate advantage, because my laggiest matches have been PS4 users who still manage to parry hits while teleporting around the screen.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It's probably because PS4 players are more likely to be on wireless

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

In Training posted:

It's probably because PS4 players are more likely to be on wireless

And probably PS4Streaming(tm)(R) also.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

Pomp posted:

i thought alt tab just swapped the lag that already existed over to the other guy so someone was having an unplayable match either way

Basically their netcode implementation is lacking the time synchronization part. Because it's a rollback system, a game can actually be carried even if the players are not synced and it'll work. But that means if you worsen the sync you can actually induce lag.

Imagine two people running side by side. If one runner starts running behind, his partner can't see what he's doing anymore, while the guy behind can see everything the other guy is doing. Alt-Tab is basically one guy stopping in his tracks to check his phone, which puts him behind.
So even if both runners were on equal footing, one of them stopping has induced lag that didn't exist before.

The bit that needs to be added to their netcode in is basically tying a rope between both runners so that when one gets slower or stops the other has to do the same or have everything crash down. In pure input delay models the universe explodes when both runners get more that two meters apart so people usually don't forget it, while good rollback systems are a lot more resilient.

Chev fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Mar 16, 2016

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
Along with sync issues, hopefully someday Capcom will realize that to have a decent rollback implementation you need to give the player the ability to see ping in milliseconds and manually set the input delay.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

manually set input delay?

that doesn't sound very casual friendly.

Does League Of Legends let you set your input delay?

apple
May 18, 2003

Jose in the club wearing orange suspenders
Rollback by design requires you to set a delay parameter by which both players operate on as a minimum. Skullgirls lets you change this setting: the shittier your connection the higher the delay setting. It's not rocket science but it automatically suggests a delay setting for you anyway so you don't need to think about it outside of fine-tuning a connection between 2 people.

Capcom has a fixed delay setting which is either arrogant to think their netcode wouldn't need it to be changed or just ignorant.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Does anyone know the delay? 1 frame?

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

apple posted:

Rollback by design requires you to set a delay parameter by which both players operate on as a minimum. Skullgirls lets you change this setting: the shittier your connection the higher the delay setting. It's not rocket science but it automatically suggests a delay setting for you anyway so you don't need to think about it outside of fine-tuning a connection between 2 people.

Capcom has a fixed delay setting which is either arrogant to think their netcode wouldn't need it or just ignorant.

or its that japanese devs make games for playing in japan. variable delay is not so important when you're playing another person on the other end of your tiny island country. its like how in dark souls there were 2 region settings: japan, and then the entire rest of the world. japanese game devs are consistently atrocious.

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?
It has to be really low if UK to UK matches get bursts of random rollback. Or maybe it just sucks because those bursts happen to anyone within EU.

I've been seeing a lot more complaining on social media about it recently. I think people are getting anxious that what we have might be what we're going to be stuck with.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

NecroMonster posted:

manually set input delay?

that doesn't sound very casual friendly.

Does League Of Legends let you set your input delay?
The way GGPO does it is it sets, by default, an input delay appropriate for the connection you've got, but lets you free to adjust it. Casuals don't have anything to do that way, it'll just work.

apple posted:

Rollback by design requires you to set a delay parameter by which both players operate on as a minimum.
The interesting thing is both players can have different delays, it's purely a presentation thing.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

It has to be really low if UK to UK matches get bursts of random rollback. Or maybe it just sucks because those bursts happen to anyone within EU.

I've been seeing a lot more complaining on social media about it recently. I think people are getting anxious that what we have might be what we're going to be stuck with.

I would be shocked if there are any actual infrastructure upgrades or engine updates to SFV to fix any of the glaring issues. capcom doesn't even acknowledge most of the problems with their game in the first place and there are a mountain of issues plaguing it: the poor handling of ragequits, the lack of directinput support which includes their official branded controller series, the alt-tab bug, the input delay, the constantly broken CFN servers, bad rollback implementation.... and the list could go on and on really. there's niggling problems like training mode settings not being saved, or story mode (some people actually care about this??), or even just lack of arcade mode, or even just bad gameplay like a survival mode that is a complete unfun chore for 49 battles in a row, oh and stage lag too. Maybe when they add alex into this mishmash of problems the game will be better

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It will only get better when they add Q

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

Because the time sync bit is missing, you'll get random rollback even though the ping doesn't justify it. You could be playing on a local network (I mean, except that you can't) and you'd still have the possibility of it behaving like your opponent's from the other side of the planet.

Ixiggle
Apr 28, 2009

Zand posted:

I would be shocked if there are any actual infrastructure upgrades or engine updates to SFV to fix any of the glaring issues. capcom doesn't even acknowledge most of the problems with their game in the first place and there are a mountain of issues plaguing it: the poor handling of ragequits, the lack of directinput support which includes their official branded controller series, the alt-tab bug, the input delay, the constantly broken CFN servers, bad rollback implementation.... and the list could go on and on really. there's niggling problems like training mode settings not being saved, or story mode (some people actually care about this??), or even just lack of arcade mode, or even just bad gameplay like a survival mode that is a complete unfun chore for 49 battles in a row, oh and stage lag too. Maybe when they add alex into this mishmash of problems the game will be better
I wanted to make this post so i'll just quote and add that its maddening how capcom continues to disappoint and underperform. And knowing how the org functions and its history with its other fighters, its all but guaranteed it wont be fixed in the near future or possibly even ever. Story mode will come out in summer and capcom will be lauded for finally completing the game while its still a broken piece of poo poo that no one but fg nerds actually cares or notices how busted it is cause "it works fine for me!"

Around this time a year ago I was thinking how capcom could use the league model to make this game a huge success and what it would/could do for fgs. I'm still in awe how they managed to whiff it so badly.

I'll play a little alex but I've spent more time in jojos than sf5 these past weeks and don't feel like i'm missing out.

jebeebus
May 2, 2005

FF7F00 Cocos Nucifera
Morus : Passiflora Edulis
Cherimoya : Castanea
Synsepalum+(Citrus x limon)
Monstera : L. chinensis

Trykt posted:

https://www.twitch.tv/trykt/v/54716857

Here's a bigass set I played with another goon tonight where I (tried) to apply all of these things, see if you can figure out where they worked and why (i.e. what the opponent was doing to get hit). I hosed up my meaties a fair bit toward the end, the latency was doin something fucky where stuff I was SURE was correctly timed ended up whiffing through and getting me thrown.

why you post this... THIS DOESNT REPRESENT ME

ggs tho

Sick! Thats DOPE
Aug 1, 2008

Oh sick man thats sick

Ixiggle posted:

Around this time a year ago I was thinking how capcom could use the league model to make this game a huge success and what it would/could do for fgs. I'm still in awe how they managed to whiff it so badly

Yeah it really is a marvel how they didn't really deliver in any capacity at all regardless of how you feel about the game itself.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Sick! Thats DOPE posted:

Yeah it really is a marvel how they didn't really deliver in any capacity at all regardless of how you feel about the game itself.

Yeah, I hope the community continues to hold their feet to the fire on these issues, but most of us have already paid in and I'm not sure that Capcom/Sony have any real motivation to fix it.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

Sarchasm posted:

Yeah, I hope the community continues to hold their feet to the fire on these issues, but most of us have already paid in and I'm not sure that Capcom/Sony have any real motivation to fix it.

when they have so many people that are willing to pay to beta test, there really is very little reason for capcom to ever release a finished, fixed product. the release of sf5 in this state is like the conclusion of all the worst problems with paid early access and poo poo like "pre-order bonuses" that get people to buy a brand instead of a product

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Sarchasm posted:

I'm pretty sure their business model for this game leans heavily on DLC, which will obviously not sell if they abandon it in this state already. They'd have to be suicidal to not fix the major problems, especially when the release sales were not exactly stellar.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

this is capcom.

maybe not intentionally suicidal, but I'd describe many of their business decisions over the past hand full of years as suicidal.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I think the reality is that SFV is a side project to them compared to how much money Monster Hunter prints.

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

One of the reasons I bought MKX (for PC) was that I wanted a fighting game developed by Americans so they could actually communicate and design effectively for the western market. NRS did that initially and I was hopeful, but they went and completely dropped any supports or updates for the PC version, so they can go gently caress themselves, I basically wasted $65 and a bunch of time playing a completely irrelevant game. I hope Capcom's shittiness so far is due to having to rush the release, and maybe they'll get their poo poo together in the future. I mean they had really big goals for this game so it seems so odd to have such a painful lack of polish on it. If Capcom abandons this game on PC too I'm probably just going to be done with FG's forever, it just seems like nobody working in this genre has any professionalism and it's starting to grate on me.

p.s. Skullgirls does a lot of these things right but it really is aimed at a very small cohort of video gamers overall and as such has a tiny community.

Dracula Factory fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Mar 16, 2016

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Dracula Factory posted:

One of the reasons I bought MKX (for PC) was that I wanted a fighting game developed by Americans so they could actually communicate and design effectively for the western market. NRS did that initially and I was hopeful, but they went and completely dropped any supports or updates for the PC version, so they can go gently caress themselves, I basically wasted $65 and a bunch of time playing a completely irrelevant game. I hope Capcom's shittiness so far is due to having to rush the release, and maybe they'll get their poo poo together in the future. I mean they had really big goals for this game so it seems so odd to have such a painful lack of polish on it. If Capcom abandons this game on PC too I'm probably just going to be done with FG's forever, it just seems like nobody working in this genre has any professionalism and it's starting to grate on me.

NRS has always sucked

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

Dracula Factory posted:

NRS outsourced their port tho

and is there any actual indication that capcom rushed the release outside of speculation? they had paid beta testers for 8 months before it came out, starting with a playable prototype before beta 1 that they thought was good enough to show people. capcom just let bugs and problems with beta 1 ride all the way until release. and the big goals they set for the game are now just representative of how big a failure this game is in the eyes of their shareholders... and the jp fiscal year is ending in 2 weeks. given that they can't fix the game in time to save face within a time frame that matters, it doesn't make sense for them to continue to dump money into it when they could use resources on something that makes them money (monster hunter).

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

and lets not pretend that monster hunter is going to keep being a cash cow after capcom finds a way to mismanage that like all of their other game series

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
street fighter 5 is perfect

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

dangerdoom volvo posted:

its both fun to play and make fun of. a win win

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

dangerdoom volvo posted:

I actually wound up liking it more than I expected to, as someone who got into FGs with anime games.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Zand posted:

and is there any actual indication that capcom rushed the release outside of speculation? they had paid beta testers for 8 months before it came out, starting with a playable prototype before beta 1 that they thought was good enough to show people. capcom just let bugs and problems with beta 1 ride all the way until release. and the big goals they set for the game are now just representative of how big a failure this game is in the eyes of their shareholders... and the jp fiscal year is ending in 2 weeks. given that they can't fix the game in time to save face within a time frame that matters, it doesn't make sense for them to continue to dump money into it when they could use resources on something that makes them money (monster hunter).

I don't really see what else other than a do-or-die business deadline could explain the decision to release with so much missing content. On release day pretty much the whole internet were telling people not to buy the game yet, which probably reduced the initial sales by a significant amount.

The "to get it out in time for CPT" excuse seems pretty weak, I doubt that whole promotion is worth even close to how much sales they missed with this decision.

e: of course "they're really, really stupid" could be a valid explanation also

Double Bill fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Mar 16, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

Double Bill posted:

I don't really see what else other than a do-or-die business deadline could explain the decision to release with so much missing content.

the thing I think explains it is that Capcom is terrible. they made a bad game, and they have been making bad street fighter games for nearly 2 decades. they kicked off the death of SF with SF3 then punctuated the decline of the genre with capcom fighting evolution. they have been consistently terrible for years and years outside of the SF series as well. assuming they were rushed and this is the only possible explanation would be ignoring that they are actually just awful and have a history of being this way

edit: just saw your edit. yeah basically that