Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

SmokeEater posted:

Some day I will get my release.

Nah, he'll retire after the Super Bowl like Peyton but it'll be coming off of one of the best years of his life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

computer parts posted:

Nah, he'll retire after the Super Bowl like Peyton but it'll be coming off of one of the best years of his life.

come fight me

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

Henchman of Santa posted:

Kaepernick I think

That's a weird way to spell "The One Hundred Twenty-Six Million Dollar Man."

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.
We'll see how Brady does this year against all of the teams that will surely copycat what Wade Phillips did in the AFCCG to stymie the unceasing Patriots pick and dunk

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

We'll see how Brady does this year against all of the teams that will surely copycat what Wade Phillips did in the AFCCG to stymie the unceasing Patriots pick and dunk

The key to beating Brady has always been hitting him and pressure. Brady has always had a really good offensive line, until last year.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

swickles posted:

The key to beating Brady has always been hitting him and pressure. Brady has always had a really good offensive line, until last year.

I feel like this is a successful tactic for beating a lot of QBs.

Parmesan Basil
Nov 12, 2008

TIME IS THE FIRE IN WHICH WE BURN THE GAME CLOCK
One day the AFC will has a Super Bowl participant I can cheer for. One day.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

New England has been running the same offense for five years. Philips didn't stumble into some magical formula other than stud front seven > scrub offensive line.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

How many teams have the kind of defensive talent Denver does? And I don't just mean a Von Miller, I'm talking about the kind of secondary that has enough talent and depth to let its front seven get creative with its pressure.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

All you have to do is injure the Patriots oline, all their running backs, make their kicker miss and then pray to god he doesn't just somehow find Gronk anyway.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

NC-17 posted:

New England has been running the same offense for five years. Philips didn't stumble into some magical formula other than stud front seven > scrub offensive line.

Not to mention zero semblance of a running game. Didn't they start the ghost of Steven Jackson that game?

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Shath Hole posted:

Not to mention zero semblance of a running game. Didn't they start the ghost of Steven Jackson that game?

Steven Jackson 4 carries for 8 yards (and a TD!)
Brandon Bolden 5 carries for 12 yards
James White 5 carries for 11 yards and 5 receptions for 45 yards on 16(!) targets.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

Kalli posted:

Steven Jackson 4 carries for 8 yards (and a TD!)
Brandon Bolden 5 carries for 12 yards
James White 5 carries for 11 yards and 5 receptions for 45 yards on 16(!) targets.

:barf:

They really missed Lewis and Blount. Speaking of Lewis, how is he recovering? Will he be ready for TC?

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

MacheteZombie posted:

I feel like this is a successful tactic for beating a lot of QBs.

It is, but its also the hardest way to affect a QB. Some QB's get tripped up by disguised coverages, blitzes, etc. Brady and a handful of QB's do not, and the only real way is to get pressure. Even then, some QB's (Ben, Rodgers, Wilson) are mobile enough or are big enough that pressure isn't as effective as they either roll out or just shrug it off.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Shath Hole posted:

:barf:

They really missed Lewis and Blount. Speaking of Lewis, how is he recovering? Will he be ready for TC?

Dion Lewis should be back by TC since he had surgery for his torn ACL like 5 months ago at this point. So much of his game is on his ridiculous cutting ability, so the big worry is if he can retain it. Blount is a free agent, but he's kind of demonstrated that nobody else will be interested in him and he's not particularly good either way (A healthy step up from those 3 though).

But really, nobody would have had success running behind that line against that Broncos defensive front. They were playing their starting LG, an injured RT at LT and backups at the other 3 spots. They were so bad off that they were playing a guy they tried to replace with Ladrianne Waddle, a guy the Lions cut at midseason at RT.

Hell, the patriots re-signed Ladrianne Waddle and I'm like, alright, he's already better then Cameron Flemming and Marcus Cannon.

Nov 6, 2002

I know ACL surgery is very routine, but I'm skeptical that Lewis playing style is actually sustainable through a whole season, regardless of past injuries.

I mean, he didn't take a big hit or have his foot get stuck in turf, he just tore it making a move.

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

Kalli posted:

All you have to do is injure the Patriots oline, all their running backs, make their kicker miss and then pray to god he doesn't just somehow find Gronk anyway.

Or just put the entire defense staggered through a 10 yard zone to clog the pick and drag routes with bodies

Nov 6, 2002

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

Or just put the entire defense staggered through a 10 yard zone to clog the pick and drag routes with bodies

If you don't get to the quarterback it doesn't matter, someone will get open. Philips' plan of putting a crap load of defensive backs on the field requires pass rushers who can go up against two blockers and win. Few defenses get pressure on the quarterback in 3 vs 5 situations, Denver did.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

just be the miami dolphins and make sure you're playing in miami and you will win

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Parmesan Basil posted:

One day the AFC will has a Super Bowl participant I can cheer for. One day.

The Titans? Yeah, go Titans.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
The secret to beating the Pats is to have one of the best defenses ever, I don't get why more teams don't exploit that

Nov 6, 2002

I feel like we're at a tipping point this season where some teams that have been so bad for so long have hit on enough draft picks, and have spent so much on decent free agents that they HAVE to break out. Specifically the Raiders and Jags. If they aren't in the playoffs this year something is seriously wrong with the NFL.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

NC-17 posted:

I feel like we're at a tipping point this season where some teams that have been so bad for so long have hit on enough draft picks, and have spent so much on decent free agents that they HAVE to break out. Specifically the Raiders and Jags. If they aren't in the playoffs this year someone is seriously wrong with the NFL.

if they are good this year it's because Bortles and Carr are on the right track

This is a Quarterback Driven League™

(or just have a legendarily good defense)

Nov 6, 2002

Ehud posted:

(or just have a legendarily good defense)

Just clog the field with players, it's that easy!

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

NC-17 posted:

If you don't get to the quarterback it doesn't matter, someone will get open. Philips' plan of putting a crap load of defensive backs on the field requires pass rushers who can go up against two blockers and win. Few defenses get pressure on the quarterback in 3 vs 5 situations, Denver did.

Yeah, probably no one will figure out how to blitz with the passing lanes clogged.

Nov 6, 2002

You are aware that only 11 defenders can be on the field at once, right?

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

NC-17 posted:

I feel like we're at a tipping point this season where some teams that have been so bad for so long have hit on enough draft picks, and have spent so much on decent free agents that they HAVE to break out. Specifically the Raiders and Jags. If they aren't in the playoffs this year something is seriously wrong with the NFL.

Alternatively you can even have successful drafts, have tons of picks and still not make it because your coaching / front office struggle.

Looking at you Rams.

The Rams have a better pass rush and possibly a better offensive weapon in Gurley then anyone on the Broncos and yet they can't even crack .500. You know what the Rams do have though? A wide receiver they made run the ball 50 times.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
Even teams with lovely d lines can rush 3 vs. the pats now because Brady can't get outside the pocket or throw deep. They will be in serious trouble if they try to play the same scheme.

Nov 6, 2002

Kalli posted:

Alternatively you can even have successful drafts, have tons of picks and still not make it because your coaching / front office struggle.

Looking at you Rams.

The Rams have a better pass rush and possibly a better offensive weapon in Gurley then anyone on the Broncos and yet they can't even crack .500. You know what the Rams do have though? A wide receiver they made run the ball 50 times.

The Rams don't have a quarterback though.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Mar 16, 2016

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

NC-17 posted:

I hate that this is always the answer, but it is.

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

NC-17 posted:

You are aware that only 11 defenders can be on the field at once, right?

8 defensive backs for a max of 5 possible receivers leaves 3 possible blitzers, Mr Math

Nov 6, 2002

Three guys are not going to normally get pressure. So the quarterback will have all day for someone to eventually come open (or one of those many defenders will commit illegal contact/holding) or they'll start running against that look.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

8 defensive backs for a max of 5 possible receivers leaves 3 possible blitzers, Mr Math

Well, if we are going to be so pedantic about it, that would be 3 pass rushers. Blitzer would refer to any player in addition to the standard pass rush.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Ehud posted:

I hate that this is always the answer, but it is.

To be fair, the Rams QB situation last year was comparable to at least two playoff teams! One just had the best defense in quite awhile and the other won the AFC South.

But yeah, the typical playoff team has a good solid core of players drafted 3-6 drafts ago, competent QB play and a smattering of good older veterans and free agents. If either of those first two things is instead amazing then you're also probably a playoff team but can easily instead be the Rams or Saints or Chargers.

Nov 6, 2002

If you put Denver's coaching staff on the Rams, are they a playoff team?

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

NC-17 posted:

If you put Denver's coaching staff on the Rams, are they a playoff team?

Wade Philips with that defensive line? gently caress yes they are.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

NC-17 posted:

If Case Keenum starts 16 games last year and Rob Boras is the offensive coordinator for all 16 games then the Rams are probably a 10 win team. They lost a lot of games where Nick Foles did absolutely loving nothing and Frank Cignetti continued to do nothing to throw the ball.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Miami was informed they will be given word on Dion Jordan's reinstatement at the end of April. He's apparently been working out and "staying in shape" under the assumption he will be back. Which he should.

Then he'll be cut by Miami

Nov 6, 2002

DariusLikewise posted:

If Case Keenum starts 16 games last year and Rob Boras is the offensive coordinator for all 16 games then the Rams are probably a 10 win team. They lost a lot of games where Nick Foles did absolutely loving nothing and Frank Cignetti continued to do nothing to throw the ball.

I initially read this as Rob Bironas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

NC-17 posted:

I think the Jags are another year or two out, although it's almost a sure thing that they'll be a playoff contender around then. Bortles needs to have a good year, and they need a good draft, but after that, they'll get some free agents calling them up for once. Then they'll have a good young team with a lot of years in the tank. The Raiders are basically there already. They have a real shot at winning the division, and I'd expect them to float around the playoff conversation all next season if the core can stay healthy.

• Locked thread