Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF

WarLocke posted:

... Does interacting with mission objectives (hacking a terminal, opening the door of a VIP cell/van, etc) break concealment/Phantom?
Yes.

WarLocke posted:

Don't you need corpses for mashing up into paste to make stuff with?

Yeah, but I don't need any more for that than I do in vanilla. So once I've used them up they're all cash from then on. And I'll need that cash to hire more personnel!

I'm glad I'm only playing on Veteran. If I had to do all this and also worry about whether or not every Advent trooper would survive my shots I don't think I'd be having as much fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
I wonder what the rationale for all the advanced armors (ghost/wraith, EXO/WAR) not getting the second item slot that predator/warden does.

I get that you're either getting a movement buff with movement ability, or more hp/armor with a heavy weapon, but you also have to build them individually. Seems like the individual costs should be enough to cover the additional bonuses without having to limit how much you can carry.

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF

WarLocke posted:

I wonder what the rationale for all the advanced armors (ghost/wraith, EXO/WAR) not getting the second item slot that predator/warden does.

Think of them as things you can put in that second item slot.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

RiotGearEpsilon posted:

Think of them as things you can put in that second item slot.

I'd rather have them AND the second item slot. I don't think that's too much to ask/expect.

And either I'm just not seeing it or nobody has made a simple mod that shows ALL the perks on the promotion screen even before you get to that rank. Seems like a simple QoL thing that should have been in the basic game IMO.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Well, they are clearly sufficiently powerful to be worth it (arguably some parts of the War Suit, like the Shredstorm cannon, are too powerful at present), so I don't think buffing them even more by taking away their only disadvantage is a great idea.

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF

WarLocke posted:

I'd rather have them AND the second item slot. I don't think that's too much to ask/expect.

The designers disagree! But I do think there's a mod for it.

What exasperates me is that there's no upgrading them to their higher-level equivalents. :[

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Fangz posted:

Well, they are clearly sufficiently powerful to be worth it (arguably some parts of the War Suit, like the Shredstorm cannon, are too powerful at present), so I don't think buffing them even more by taking away their only disadvantage is a great idea.

Oh man I blew up like half a building and some cars behind the building with one of those, it was glorious.

Yeah, doing that once a combat is worth an item slot.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

Oh man I blew up like half a building and some cars behind the building with one of those, it was glorious.

Yeah, doing that once a combat is worth an item slot.

But is the plasma blaster worth it

(I don't disagree either, but the game has a lot of secondary items that you just don't use because there are better secondary options than them)

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

RiotGearEpsilon posted:

What exasperates me is that there's no upgrading them to their higher-level equivalents. :[

As with just about everything in Xcom2, there is a mod for that.:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=624793674

WarLocke posted:

And either I'm just not seeing it or nobody has made a simple mod that shows ALL the perks on the promotion screen even before you get to that rank. Seems like a simple QoL thing that should have been in the basic game IMO.

And for that:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=624408502

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Thanks. :cheers:

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
So Phantom rangers don't fire their overwatch shot when everyone else does when you break concealment with an ambush. My ranger has Kill Zone. Will a Phantom ranger with KZ, who has applied the KZ, break concealment to fire the KZ shots?

Because if so, wouldn't this corner case be an actual good use for Shadowstrike? +25 aim and crit on all the KZ shots ripping up the pod. Gooey critical shotgun death all around. If that is NOT the case, is there some tweak I can make somewhere so it does work?

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

SuperKlaus posted:

So Phantom rangers don't fire their overwatch shot when everyone else does when you break concealment with an ambush. My ranger has Kill Zone. Will a Phantom ranger with KZ, who has applied the KZ, break concealment to fire the KZ shots?

Because if so, wouldn't this corner case be an actual good use for Shadowstrike? +25 aim and crit on all the KZ shots ripping up the pod. Gooey critical shotgun death all around. If that is NOT the case, is there some tweak I can make somewhere so it does work?

Retrain out of Phantom, keeping Shadowstrike?

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

SuperKlaus posted:

Kill Zone was recently changed so that Sharpshooters couldn't use it exactly the way you want to (set it up, have the alien pod activate it on their turn, get KZ proc, alien scatter, then a full XCOM turn) so I am assuming it will not go off for your concealed Ranger either.

And Shadowstrike may not even work with it if it did, there's a bunch of weird edge cases with AWC perks where you would think X would synergize with Y, but they don't. Like IIRC Sharpshooters with Serial (not Serial, I forget, maybe it was Gaurdian?) can use it with pistols or with sniper rifles if in LoS, but not when using Squadsight.

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

SuperKlaus posted:

So Phantom rangers don't fire their overwatch shot when everyone else does when you break concealment with an ambush.

I thought they did though? That's why I usually decline to activate overwatch with my phantoms, and instead gold-move, hunker, or simply end the turn once everyone else has overwatch up.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

So if I want to increase the number of grenades / slot, it would look something like this yeah?

quote:

FlashbangGrenade_iSoundRange = 30
FlashbangGrenade_iEnvironmentDamage = 0
FlashbangGrenade_iSupplies = 25
FlashbangGrenade_TradingPostValue = 5
FlashbangGrenade_iPoints = 0
FlashbangGrenade_iClipSize = 3
FlashbangGrenade_Range = 12
FlashbangGrenade_Radius = 8

With the clipsize going from 1 to 3.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Hey guys, I have this opinion based on a very unique assortment of mods but I won't speak to that part, rather we'll all pretend we're playing the same game.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

My posts will also at some point, inevitably use the word bullshit.

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF

SeaTard posted:

As with just about everything in Xcom2, there is a mod for that.:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=624793674

Thanks! I ultimately was just bitching that this wasn't core functionality - or more accurately, I was bitching that I don't understand the decision to not make this core functionality.

SuperKlaus posted:

No, Killzone doesn't do that anymore. :(

RiotGearEpsilon fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Mar 16, 2016

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF
garbage was here

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

LowellDND posted:

So if I want to increase the number of grenades / slot, it would look something like this yeah?

Most of those seem pretty self-explanatory, but I wonder what iPoints is

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
Whenever you ask yourself why they didn't do a thing that makes XCOM stronger, the answer is probably that it is overpowered, and the whole point of the strategy layer in particular is that you must make choices, trading off between advantages now and advantages later, what kind of advantages they should be, and what advantages they shouldn't be.

Weakening those trade offs by doing things like expanding equipment slots or bestowing automatic upgrades on things just because 'it makes sense' makes your choices easier and less meaningful, XCOM2 is not meant to have an optimal path because then you're just reading a script of how to upgrade.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I think with the Wraith/WAR suit item slot in particular, it's the fact that they show you the second item slot, but there's a lock icon on it and it tells you "advanced armor required". Expecting that to be unlockable after the game straight up tells you it's unlockable is extremely understandable.

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

CapnAndy posted:

I think with the Wraith/WAR suit item slot in particular, it's the fact that they show you the second item slot, but there's a lock icon on it and it tells you "advanced armor required". Expecting that to be unlockable after the game straight up tells you it's unlockable is extremely understandable.

Yeah, I was expecting maybe a foundry project that requires yet more cores, plus an existing EXO suit or WAR suit to improve it even further.

Not that WAR suits weren't overpowered already.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Maluco Marinero posted:

Whenever you ask yourself why they didn't do a thing that makes XCOM stronger, the answer is probably that it is overpowered, and the whole point of the strategy layer in particular is that you must make choices, trading off between advantages now and advantages later, what kind of advantages they should be, and what advantages they shouldn't be.

Weakening those trade offs by doing things like expanding equipment slots or bestowing automatic upgrades on things just because 'it makes sense' makes your choices easier and less meaningful, XCOM2 is not meant to have an optimal path because then you're just reading a script of how to upgrade.

You can't really look at a change like that in a vacuum, though. Yeah, giving those suits a second item slot is a buff, but if it's paired with an enemy AI overhaul or increase in pod size or whatever else, it isn't necessarily overpowered.

That's going to depend on the actual mod composition in use though, which will be different for everyone. So the only person who can really decide whether a mod is a good idea or a bad one is the end-user.

It's not like this is a multiplayer game and you have to worry about objective balance. Well, okay, there IS MP, but I have yet to see anyone talk about it, compared to MP in the first game being fairly popular.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

WarLocke posted:

You can't really look at a change like that in a vacuum, though. Yeah, giving those suits a second item slot is a buff, but if it's paired with an enemy AI overhaul or increase in pod size or whatever else, it isn't necessarily overpowered.

That's going to depend on the actual mod composition in use though, which will be different for everyone. So the only person who can really decide whether a mod is a good idea or a bad one is the end-user.

It's not like this is a multiplayer game and you have to worry about objective balance. Well, okay, there IS MP, but I have yet to see anyone talk about it, compared to MP in the first game being fairly popular.

I don't see why it's like this in the base game !== I would like to make it like this for my modded game.

hhhmmm
Jan 1, 2006
...?

WarLocke posted:

Kill Zone was recently changed so that Sharpshooters couldn't use it exactly the way you want to (set it up, have the alien pod activate it on their turn, get KZ proc, alien scatter, then a full XCOM turn) so I am assuming it will not go off for your concealed Ranger either.

And Shadowstrike may not even work with it if it did, there's a bunch of weird edge cases with AWC perks where you would think X would synergize with Y, but they don't. Like IIRC Sharpshooters with Serial (not Serial, I forget, maybe it was Gaurdian?) can use it with pistols or with sniper rifles if in LoS, but not when using Squadsight.

If I'm not incompetent, then I miss the era of changelogs. To me, the rules of XCOM are annoying to keep track of.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

hhhmmm posted:

If I'm not incompetent, then I miss the era of changelogs. To me, the rules of XCOM are annoying to keep track of.

That was in the changelog. There were a few other things like a mimic beacon nerf too. https://xcom.com/news/en-xcom-2-patch-now-live

Maluco Marinero fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Mar 16, 2016

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

WarLocke posted:

No, no, I get it.

To be 100% crystal clear, what I'm asking is what happens when:

1) My Phantom lays down a KZ on a pod from concealment

2) The enemies move during my turn because a different soldier does something to pop em and break squad conceal. My sniper KZs will mess up the pod in this situation - but would my Phantom ranger KZ?

I hear you though that there are extra levels of obfuscated nonsense with AWC perks. Like, I don't even know for a fact that in the scenario where a regular old sharpshooter lays down a KZ and then you break squad conceal that the KZ shots are "from concealment." I can ASSUME they are because regular overwatch would be but who knows!

Also gently caress I just remembered aren't overwatch shots denied the ability to crit?

Reik posted:

Retrain out of Phantom, keeping Shadowstrike?

Well that is the obvious answer but I just hate Blademaster so much!

many johnnys posted:

I thought they did though? That's why I usually decline to activate overwatch with my phantoms, and instead gold-move, hunker, or simply end the turn once everyone else has overwatch up.

My Phantoms never use the overwatch. They should though, and players can always avoid accidental concealment breaks by selecting hunker, like you wisely do.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Every squad sight based ability explicitly says if it works with squad sight. AWC perks are pretty clear what they will and won't work with!

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

LowellDND posted:

Yes, exactly like that.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

SuperKlaus posted:

2) The enemies move during my turn because a different soldier does something to pop em and break squad conceal. My sniper KZs will mess up the pod in this situation - but would my Phantom ranger KZ?

If I had to guess:

1) The Sharpshooter KZ goes off because the enemies notice the unit after someone else on the squad initiates (so it's not in, or coming out of Concealment)
2) A Phantom Ranger in the same scenario doesn't lose Concealment, so the change to keep KZ from proccing while concealed means it doesn't go off

That's just me pulling a guess out of my rear end though, take it with salt.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

My Ranger rolled Hail of Bullets from the AWC just in time to get Shadowstrike. Might make him a Conceal Ranger and just snipe buckshot across the map everyday after unconcealing. :getin:

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
Is there anyway to recover a character from a campaign after you begin the last mission on iron man? I unfortunately forgot to dump a few to my pool when I finished my first campaign.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

Speaking of the AWC, characters of a certain class can never be offered an AWC perk from their own class, right? Are there any perks that are not ever awarded no matter what class you are, barring those needing secondary weapons like GREMLINS, grenade launchers, pistols, and swords?

Salt n Reba McEntire
Nov 14, 2000

Kuparp.
If you want your concealed rangers to join in the fun on ambushes, either position them so that they get revealed upon pod scatter (generally a forward position from the group with a one sided cover is good for this) or later on just give them a prox mine.

E: Ranger overwatch is not wonderful anyway. Opportunist would make them a monster.

Salt n Reba McEntire fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Mar 16, 2016

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Clint Eastwood and Chloe voice packs are up, and in other ~waifu~ (Clintifu?) news the Asari mod guy figured out how to use the Evangelion mod (semi-invisible heads) to fix his mod so eyes show through and clipping ears can be eliminated.

Apparently not hard to rip stuff from ME2/ME3 (that's where he's getting his head assets, Javik coming up) so maybe we'll see more weapon/armor options from Mass Effect in the future (probably not from him though) which should look pretty good for Tier 3 I figure :toot:

Boy I sure hope it will work to add 500+ GB of RAM to my computer to run all this stuff.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I'm only slightly sore that ripped content mods are like 10x more popular than handcrafted content. :negative:

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Moogle posted:

E: Ranger overwatch is not wonderful anyway. Opportunist would make them a monster.

Ranger overwatch is amazing, and you're crazy if you don't think so. That +3 damage for flanked targets works on overwatch, because you only shoot at targets that aren't in cover. And since they are usually up close and personal, I routinely see 80-90% hit rates on overwatch (with the mod that displays hit chance for alien/overwatch shots).

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I really wish Blast Padding scaled with the armor you wore the same way Shredder Ammo does. I'm too in love with shredding enemies to go without shredder ammo. The rest of the Grenadier skills are not as clear-cut for the choices, though, because they're ALL good. Mostly they come down to skills that make single targets easier to destroy and skills that do widespread destruction; both are handy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Speedball posted:

I really wish Blast Padding scaled with the armor you wore the same way Shredder Ammo does. I'm too in love with shredding enemies to go without shredder ammo. The rest of the Grenadier skills are not as clear-cut for the choices, though, because they're ALL good. Mostly they come down to skills that make single targets easier to destroy and skills that do widespread destruction; both are handy.

Chain Shot is kind of like Rapid Fire's 'special' cousin. But otherwise, yeah, most of the Grenadier perks seem useful.

The hardest choice IMO is the last one: Rupture is hella useful but if I understand it right Saturation Fire is literally 'fire on everything in a cone in front of you with no target cap, oh and it also destroys cover' :stare: