Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
baby puzzle
Jun 3, 2011

I'll Sequence your Storm.

NecroMonster posted:

big idiot subsidizes my gameplay

And this is totally fine, but letting these people run rampant on the forums is a disaster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ada
Apr 22, 2014

Practice proper gun's safety.
"A long while back Cybrix was banned from PoE for botting. He made a new account and continued playing normally. Fast forward to yesterday Kripp gave him a key for the PoE closed beta. Many people were mad about this because why is someone who was formerly banned for breaking the rules in the beta ahead of them.
Then some guy who has spent 30k on PoE gets involved and starts crying to GGG and threatening to stop buying supporter packs. So Cybrix ended up getting banned. I've seen a variety of excuses such as "banned players aren't allowed to return with new accounts" to "he was harassing GGG devs" but most people realize that they just caved to a crybaby that helps pay their bills."

scissorman
Feb 7, 2011
Ramrod XTreme

Ada posted:

Someone from the goon guild might be kind enough to donate some decent leveling items if you ask. As a caster a good wand can carry you really far, so maybe buying one for an alch or something might be enough. Like, here's a "+1 lightning, +60% spell" damage for an alch

code:
@ArrowCrits Hi, I would like to buy your Doom Charm Crystal Wand listed for 1 alchemy in Perandus (stash tab "~b/o 1 alch")
e: Here's a "53% spell damage, 16% lightning damage, 12% cast speed"

code:
@Gemling_Saboteur Hi, I would like to buy your Pain Spell Sage Wand listed for 1 alchemy in Perandus (stash tab "~b/o 1 alch")

Thanks, I did the trade and got the wand.
It was surprisingly easy and I think I'll look for more items once I find some more good currency.

Valle
Apr 16, 2004

Telling customers how to solve world problems since 2001
I used a vaal on a unique jewel, and got a different unique jewel!

...at least I got the achievement for it!

In other news, I downloaded the standalone client to see if it would have any effect on the frame time spikes that happen a lot. You know, like when Izaro attacks and the screen freezes for 1-2 seconds and then you're dead? Well, somehow it does work! I still get a lot of it in town when players with those custom effects run around, but there's a lot less stutter out among mobs, and that's where it really matters.

Ada
Apr 22, 2014

scissorman posted:

It was surprisingly easy and I think I'll look for more items once I find some more good currency.

How I looked for it was I set the base type to Wand, set the maximum item level to around your level, and price exactly 1 alch. Then when the results came up I clicked on the Spell Damage and it sorted by that mod. If you want the +gem you can add it but you don't need to set up a lot of criteria to find a decent item for cheap. Unfortunately you can only search by item level and not by useable level so maybe there's a better one out there, but that's some advice for searching for items, anyway.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Bugsy posted:

Diamond = $1,000 (he has made multiple uniques so at least 3,000 but I think its closer to 5k)

Ruler = $12,500

Conquerer = $900

Grandmaster = $500

Highgate = $1,100

Ascendant = $440

He is the biggest whale in the poe community by far.

ZenVulgarity posted:

holy poo poo

MerrMan
Aug 3, 2003

Ada posted:

How I looked for it was I set the base type to Wand, set the maximum item level to around your level, and price exactly 1 alch. Then when the results came up I clicked on the Spell Damage and it sorted by that mod. If you want the +gem you can add it but you don't need to set up a lot of criteria to find a decent item for cheap. Unfortunately you can only search by item level and not by useable level so maybe there's a better one out there, but that's some advice for searching for items, anyway.

This is really great advice and an awesome way to do budget shopping while levelling a dude. You can grab some surprisingly good deals from people that just dump stuff in to their 1 alch or 1 chaos stash tab and move on.

Also, you can set a maximum level requirement with the min/max Level inputs under Requirements (just above the mod inputs). Just fill in the max and off you go. While levelling I will usually set it to current level +3 or something like that so I don't accidentally buy something I can't use until I hit 75 or whatever.

Ada
Apr 22, 2014

Ah I didn't see that there. Yeah you should use that instead of sorting by iLevel.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
I'm quite glad that poe trade will autocomplete item names now, just wish I could set it so buyout only is always on as well.

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

At least now 'online only' defaults to 'yes'. Buyout only defaulting to 'no' I don't mind so much because I tend to sort by price anyways, which throws all the non-priced items to the end.

MerrMan
Aug 3, 2003

There's this handy chrome extension I found a while back that sets online only to on, buyout only to yes and auto sorts by price:

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/poe-trade-options/bndegecdahepjfkeolfopacjjojafjie?hl=en

Ada
Apr 22, 2014

I went and bought a high roll, 5 link Marohi Erqi for 1.5ex. I'm still not decided on what skill to use with it. Earthquake is the obvious one but maybe something exotic. Leap Slam? Sweep :newlol: ?

ImsaKidd
Jul 20, 2008

scissorman posted:

You don't even need "good" currency- I see people listing items for 2-5 alteration orbs all the time.

The currency trading on poe.trade is useful as well, you can convert jewelers/chance/etc orbs into Chaos for buying items.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
Let's not forget the guy who the giant 10 thousand dollar jewel dog pet that only he and a few friends have. And there's also the big spender that gets any negative post about him deleted by ggg.

I never understood the whole surprise that someone would spend a boat load of money on this game. I'd only be surprised if they were going into debt spending that kind of money which I'm sure most aren't. If I was rich or making closer to 6 figures I'd spend that kind of money on this game. But I'm also a single dude with no kids so I would have the spare cash to spend it on what I like doing.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Charan never even got past like level 70 or has ever mapped before.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

you dont understand when people are surprised that a dude spent 20k on a videogame? lol

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

Holyshoot posted:

Let's not forget the guy who the giant 10 thousand dollar jewel dog pet that only he and a few friends have. And there's also the big spender that gets any negative post about him deleted by ggg.

I never understood the whole surprise that someone would spend a boat load of money on this game. I'd only be surprised if they were going into debt spending that kind of money which I'm sure most aren't. If I was rich or making closer to 6 figures I'd spend that kind of money on this game. But I'm also a single dude with no kids so I would have the spare cash to spend it on what I like doing.

I can't help but wonder if GGG takes something like this and just splits it among employees as a sort of Windfall bonus payout instead of dumping it back into the company well.

About how many people work at GGG now?

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Awesome! posted:

you dont understand when people are surprised that a dude spent 20k on a videogame? lol

So are you surprised when someone spends lots of money on some other hobby that isn't virtual? The fact he doesn't play a lot confirms even more him spending 30k is like you buying a video game for 60 bucks you play once. He's got so much money it doesn't matter.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

no, its not like that at all. you might be crazy if you think like this

panda clue
May 23, 2014

Holyshoot posted:

So are you surprised when someone spends lots of money on some other hobby that isn't virtual? The fact he doesn't play a lot confirms even more him spending 30k is like you buying a video game for 60 bucks you play once. He's got so much money it doesn't matter.

your mistake is assuming that because someone spends $20k on a video game that they are wealthy. coming from the mobile industry, i know for a fact this is false.

it wouldn't surprise me in the least if he spent $20k on the game and only made $30k a year. also, the guy doesn't even play the loving game, so yeah, it's pretty shocking. he literally spent that much money just so he could spend 12+ hours a day waving his dick around on the official poe forums.

charan also tried to get GGG to make him an actual business partner over his '$20,000 investment', which to me screams that the dude has no loving clue how much money actually goes into an endeavor like this.

panda clue fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Mar 16, 2016

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

$20k even in just the three years since PoE's open beta comes out to about $600 a month. If you consider someone making like $3k a month but without kids or big house payments or something, that's not a completely monstrous amount. Silly to spend on one video game, sure, but not in the realm of real craziness.

Safari Disco Lion fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Mar 16, 2016

panda clue
May 23, 2014

Safari Disco Lion posted:

$20k even in just the three years since PoE's open beta comes out to about $600 a month. If you consider someone making like $3k a month but without kids or big house payments or something, that's not a completely monstrous amount. Silly to spend on one video game, sure, but not in the realm of real craziness.

he paid at least $13,000 of it in one lump sum before the game was even released.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

panda clue posted:

he paid at least $13,000 of it in one lump sum before the game was even released.

I know, I'm just saying it's not THAT insane if you think of it in terms of saving up each month to buy the big packs at some point. But obviously the most likely case for the sperg in question is massive credit card debt, since this guy does not seem like any sort of responsible adult capable of budgeting and saving.

panda clue
May 23, 2014

I know, I'm just saying it's not THAT insane if you think of it in terms of saving up each month to buy the big packs at some point.

I mean, yea on the super far end of the spectrum of wealth, spending $13,000 on a video game that hasn't been released isn't that shocking, sure. I'm not sure why you're trying to pretend that a normal human adult wouldn't find that completely unreasonable, though. Most people's cars aren't even worth that much money, assuming they own a car at all.

But obviously the most likely case for the sperg in question is massive credit card debt, since this guy does not seem like any sort of responsible adult capable of budgeting and saving.

There is a 99% chance this is the case.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

panda clue posted:

your mistake is assuming that because someone spends $20k on a video game that they are wealthy. coming from the mobile industry, i know for a fact this is false.

it wouldn't surprise me in the least if he spent $20k on the game and only made $30k a year. also, the guy doesn't even play the loving game, so yeah, it's pretty shocking. he literally spent that much money just so he could spend 12+ hours a day waving his dick around on the official poe forums.

charan also tried to get GGG to make him an actual business partner over his '$20,000 investment', which to me screams that the dude has no loving clue how much money actually goes into an endeavor like this.

Ya i will sit with the surprised/wow why would you do that crowd if he's 20k in debt making 30k/yr. But if not then the surprise goes away.

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

Regardless of if Charan is loaded or not, he's still an insane weirdo who threw a giant bitchfit about trollnir and has the dumbest game "design" ideas you'll ever see, not that that will likely surprise anyone at all.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

climboutonalimb posted:

Yikes. as a mostly HC player, that build scares the crap out of me... talk about glass cannon. I guess the best way to play that is to pre-spam spark and you basically rely on spark proj speed and pierce to off screen nearly everything.

E: the only defense to speak of in this build is GR/VP and the 1.5% life leech on scion berzerker ascendancy tree and a theoretical high EHP but I don't see how that is "easy to gear"

yeah. thats where i'm falling short as well. as a previously exclusive HC player I'm really glad I didn't try this on HC. I've died so many times, it's gross.

Like If I maxed out life on everything I have, I could get another ~700 life after nodes, maybe. That's probably really generous actually and incredibly expensive in order to preserve my resists/current damage.

Additionally I could get another ~1.2k ES, maybe more. Getting significantly more than that would require getting a ~650+ ES chest and a 350+ es helm.

so with an unreasonable amount of life and spending a poo poo ton of money on an amazing chest I could maybe hit ~5.6-6k Ehp. Still seems squishy.

MerrMan posted:

This is really great advice and an awesome way to do budget shopping while levelling a dude. You can grab some surprisingly good deals from people that just dump stuff in to their 1 alch or 1 chaos stash tab and move on.

Also, you can set a maximum level requirement with the min/max Level inputs under Requirements (just above the mod inputs). Just fill in the max and off you go. While levelling I will usually set it to current level +3 or something like that so I don't accidentally buy something I can't use until I hit 75 or whatever.

I would add to this to not limit by buyouts only, as you're excluding non-buyout options which you can easily get for similar prices or even cheaper. People will often take any reasonable offer given.

in which case, when you search, just sort it by currency amount (click on one of the chaos orbs or other currency for something that pops up on search). it will automatically sort the cheapest first, and you can scroll down to look at the ones with no buyout.

Tabletops fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Mar 16, 2016

West007
Apr 21, 2013

Right now I'm following https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9_oHM8jzts guide and almost finished cruel (lvl 57 right now) completely self found. Using spark orb of storms still. Trash dies insanely fast, but bosses and resistant mobs take a bit longer. I think it's time to start buying a few upgrades though. This is my first character by the way.

Is there a way to link characters? I had an account I forgot about but now I just log in through steam.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
You can log on to the PoE site with your Steam credentials.

Elerion
May 31, 2011

scissorman posted:

How soon should I start looking at buying stuff via trading?
I'm currently following this spark totem build https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1585297/page/1
I just finished Act 3 Normal and I think I'm progressing well, though the Perandus chest mobs can be a bit intense.
I always do it like this in HC.
Play self found to A4 normal and farm dried lake until I'm ready to move on.
Buy gear to bring my resists to 95% (cruel maxed)
Finish act 4 normal and play to act 4 cruel, farm dried lake until I'm ready to move on.
Buy gear to bring my resists to 135% (merciless maxed)
Finish act 4 cruel (OK, I generally buy a carry) and play to act 4 merciless, farm dried lake until ready for maps.
Buy gear to fill any gaps before mapping

West007
Apr 21, 2013

whypick1 posted:

You can log on to the PoE site with your Steam credentials.

But my steam email is the same as I used in my first account.

e: there is literally sign in with steam on the same screen
e2: https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/Jamiefox/characters roast me

West007 fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Mar 16, 2016

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

West007 posted:

Right now I'm following https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9_oHM8jzts guide and almost finished cruel (lvl 57 right now) completely self found. Using spark orb of storms still. Trash dies insanely fast, but bosses and resistant mobs take a bit longer. I think it's time to start buying a few upgrades though. This is my first character by the way.

Is there a way to link characters? I had an account I forgot about but now I just log in through steam.

On the POE website, log in then in you profile/account page there will be a tab named characters and you can get inventory + full skilltree with gems there.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

"This profile tab has been set to private"

West007
Apr 21, 2013

whypick1 posted:

"This profile tab has been set to private"

Should be visible now.

climboutonalimb
Sep 4, 2004

I get knocked down but I get up again You are never going to keep me down

Tabletops posted:

yeah. thats where i'm falling short as well. as a previously exclusive HC player I'm really glad I didn't try this on HC. I've died so many times, it's gross.

Like If I maxed out life on everything I have, I could get another ~700 life after nodes, maybe. That's probably really generous actually and incredibly expensive in order to preserve my resists/current damage.

Additionally I could get another ~1.2k ES, maybe more. Getting significantly more than that would require getting a ~650+ ES chest and a 350+ es helm.

so with an unreasonable amount of life and spending a poo poo ton of money on an amazing chest I could maybe hit ~5.6-6k Ehp. Still seems squishy.

I toyed with making the build more defensively focused but by the end of it was drastically different. I feel like this guy is aiming for max dps and ignoring everything else. The easiest thing would be to drop the heralds for two defensive curses with a +1 curse item, add pcoc to spark in place of FC, maybe.

Also I'm super confused on all the mana nodes, is spark that expensive? Maybe drop some of that and get some extra life... Idk hybrid builds are weird and now I'm completely changing the build intent.

E: gently caress it, here's a proj spd pierce life based spark build I would run on hc. I would probably run a similar gem setup but run warlords and assassins mark on blasphy with a +1 curse item

climboutonalimb fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Mar 16, 2016

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

NecroMonster posted:

play until the game stuffs you into a hole in the ground and then shits on your exposed head

then come back and ask us what went wrong. the answers will make a lot more sense then

This sounds like a joke but is not.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Guys it's totally normal if someone spends money that could pay for an entire house, on a single video game I don't see what the big deal is :shrug:

RossCo
Dec 30, 2012

I have no idea what I am doing in almost any given situation.

Flesh Forge posted:

Guys it's totally normal if someone spends money that could pay for an entire house, on a single video game I don't see what the big deal is :shrug:

I sincerely hope when I am in my eighties I am doing exactly this, whilst sending screenshots of my random in game products to my kids along with the caption "Haha, you aren't inheriting poo poo".

Pensioners are going to be the games industries turbo whales in twenty years!

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

RossCo posted:

I sincerely hope when I am in my eighties I am doing exactly this, whilst sending screenshots of my random in game products to my kids along with the caption "Haha, you aren't inheriting poo poo".

Pensioners are going to be the games industries turbo whales in twenty years!

Like anyone doing that will have kids let alone grandkids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Flesh Forge posted:

Money is relative.

It may or may not be a lot of money to him. It's ultimately irrelevant if 30k is a major investment to him or if he can spend that every day and not notice a dent in his investment portfolio.

The only thing that nobody can dispute is that his attitude and personality are toxic. The POE community would do better without him.

• Locked thread