Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Southern Heel posted:

Metal Muff and Amptweaker Tight Metal seem both TOO 'im 12 and this is metal', but that may just be the demos - if the gain is so high I can hear the percussive 'thuck' of the pick more than the note then that's a bit much.

I have a Tight Metal Pro and it's pretty legit if you're going for that early Dying Fetus sound.

The demos are mostly crap and everyone cranks the gain way higher than it needs to be. Also it's meant to be run through the return of an effects loop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

Southern Heel posted:

Can you advise a bit more on the treble boost? That might be a good avenue to investigate, even though I didn't like the ultimate drive at all the last time I had one: it was noisy as heck.

You must have got a bad one (or I got a good one) since mine is not that noisy. I have modded it a bit though and fixed some bad solder joins to the board on which the switch is mounted.

The treble booster I am using is more or less a Dallas Rangemaster clone but any boost will probably do. There's something about cascading gain stages that just seems to work better than cranking the gain on a single pedal.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
:psyduck:

Zachary Vex posted:

The Candela VibroPhase is the world's first candle-powered guitar effect. Designed for fans of the 1800s, guitar effects enthusiasts who have to have everything, and guitarists who want a wildly more adjustable take on the Univibe than has ever been created before. The sound sweeps from subtle vibrato to Leslie-like phasing with a speed range wider than anything ZVEX has ever produced. There are two gear ratios on the Stirling engine that cover about a 20:1 speed range when used with the eddy current brake, which is a 1" diameter neodymium sphere magnet. You can paint your own modulation patterns on the interchangeable optical control discs, which quickly pop in and out of the machine, so you can create your own LFO wave shape and rhythm.

:psypop:

http://www.zvex.com/zvex-candela-vibrophase/

:psyboom:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I knew it: Zachary IS crazy. And I wouldn't have it any other way. :allears:

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

What series of events led to him even trying to make that in the first place

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
I'll have to recuse myself from judgment as I've spent more time using a Fuzz Factory to make flatulent Atari 2600 sounds than I did in my entire secondary education.

Literally Elvis
Oct 21, 2013

How should I store my pedal collection? I have a display case that I keep in a closet, and all the pedals are on the shelf, but the boxes are kept on top of the display case. Should I store them in their boxes?

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

Don't touch me there - Noone has that right.
[shamelessplug]
btw I've got a few of my handmade pedals up for sale in the gear trades thread if anyone's interested:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2851542&perpage=40&pagenumber=99#post456635534
[/shamelessplug]

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Been really wanting a garagey pedal with 2 stackable channels. Anyone make a doublemuff with 2 stomps? The corcuit is an easy diy but i suck at casework. This old pedal called clean chan/dirty chan on youtube looks sweet but is no longer made. Any recs?

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
You mean like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVtwsGf67sk

e: :laffo: I forgot how much that dude loves busting out Primus riffs in demos

Alec Bald Snatch fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Feb 24, 2016

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

field balm posted:

Been really wanting a garagey pedal with 2 stackable channels. Anyone make a doublemuff with 2 stomps? The corcuit is an easy diy but i suck at casework. This old pedal called clean chan/dirty chan on youtube looks sweet but is no longer made. Any recs?

look up "thepedalmechanic" on reverb

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Double big muff would probably be too much for me, i was thinking 2 of the old muff fuzzes.

Smash it Smash hit posted:

look up "thepedalmechanic" on reverb

Cheers, but I can't seem to find the guy. Got a link by chance?

I dunno if my rat pedal heard me making that post and got jealous, but its making GBS threads the bed. Works fine with the distortion dial all the way down, but its going from clean to max within a tiny touch of the dial, like 1/16 of the way? And then it gets really gated and fades out over a few seconds. I can reset it by dialling the drive to 0 again.

Its running on mains so not a battery issue. Anyone got a clue? Can record a clip of it if it helps.

This is the only 'keeper' dirt pedal i've ever had, the big muff im using for a replacement sucks for 90s emo lol.

field balm fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Feb 25, 2016

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Try squirting some deoxit into the pot.

e: although if it's getting much higher in gain fast and then gating/dying out, it's likely that some component has burned out and whatever's going through the pot is overloading another component because of it.

Schpyder fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Feb 25, 2016

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Schpyder posted:

Try squirting some deoxit into the pot.

e: although if it's getting much higher in gain fast and then gating/dying out, it's likely that some component has burned out and whatever's going through the pot is overloading another component because of it.

Yeah, it sounds kind of like when ive put transistors in backwards and fried them when i gently caress with diy circuits. I hope not cause there is no way im accurate enough to solder something on a pcb - maybe if its just the pot.

Ill try some other powerpoints and batteries, the place im in has the noisiest lines, but my amp and delay are playing along fine.

I really dont want to replace it. The realist in me knows that all the cheap chinese knock offs will be fine for this kind of pedal, so practically, that would be what i'd get. I couldn't do boutique for such a simple pedal.

Besides, look at the mojo i'd need to replace:

:(

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

field balm posted:

https://reverb.com/shop/pedalmechanic

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

field balm posted:

Double big muff would probably be too much for me, i was thinking 2 of the old muff fuzzes.

I dunno if my rat pedal heard me making that post and got jealous, but its making GBS threads the bed. Works fine with the distortion dial all the way down, but its going from clean to max within a tiny touch of the dial, like 1/16 of the way? And then it gets really gated and fades out over a few seconds. I can reset it by dialling the drive to 0 again.

Its running on mains so not a battery issue. Anyone got a clue? Can record a clip of it if it helps.

This is the only 'keeper' dirt pedal i've ever had, the big muff im using for a replacement sucks for 90s emo lol.

got you mah man

https://reverb.com/marketplace?query=pedalmechanic

edit: god darnit beaten

UncleBlazer
Jan 27, 2011

Thoughts on the OBNE Procession? I'm in the UK so can't play with it before ordering but I'd like a thick reverb that I can get weird sounds from and the videos sound so good.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
So I am lucky enough to know the guitarist from The Chameleons, I am not name dropping as many don't know wtf they even are, but for those who do they know the delay / reverb driven guitar from the band is a real signature sound.

I got a few pics of stuff tonight and here is his pedal board:

The three at the bottom are custom made for him, they all sounded wonderful, he used an ebow a lot as well tonight and now I want one :v:

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

So I may be a complete dunce, but how do I know my TC HoF is 'taking' the toneprint I give it? I've got a few, stick the phone of my pickup and hit 'beam to pedal' and I hear lots of static - and then.... it pretty much sounds the same.

I appreciate this may just be a function of a Reverb pedal rather than a chorus or delay, but I was expecting some kind of feedback to assure me I'm not making a big mistake, especially since there doesn't appear to be much variance at all. Thoughts?

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

Southern Heel posted:

So I may be a complete dunce, but how do I know my TC HoF is 'taking' the toneprint I give it? I've got a few, stick the phone of my pickup and hit 'beam to pedal' and I hear lots of static - and then.... it pretty much sounds the same.

I appreciate this may just be a function of a Reverb pedal rather than a chorus or delay, but I was expecting some kind of feedback to assure me I'm not making a big mistake, especially since there doesn't appear to be much variance at all. Thoughts?

I haven't used toneprint myself but I seem to remember from youtube that it gives some kind of "OK" sound when the toneprint takes.

Professor Science
Mar 8, 2006
diplodocus + mortarboard = party

Southern Heel posted:

I thought the LED turned green for a second? I forget

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

OK, definitely not turning green. I connected it to the PC and i was able to send a toneprint that way (no green LED though), so maybe it's a limitation of the Mini pedals as opposed to the full-fat ones, and that's a bit annoying.

Can someone explain WHY you would want an analogue delay that decays all muddy?

Professor Science
Mar 8, 2006
diplodocus + mortarboard = party

Southern Heel posted:

OK, definitely not turning green. I connected it to the PC and i was able to send a toneprint that way (no green LED though), so maybe it's a limitation of the Mini pedals as opposed to the full-fat ones, and that's a bit annoying.

just tried it because I felt like a butt for not remembering--yes, the full sized HoF does have a LED that changes to green when receiving a toneprint.

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

Southern Heel posted:

I have the HOF mini and I can confirm you can definitely beam toneprints via the pickup. It should flash red while it's receiving with 3 short green flashes on successful upload. Apologies if I'm stating the obvious but make sure you have any effects turned off between you and the pedal. Also, if you have it in your effects loop make sure your amp is set pretty clean. I've found it to be pretty forgiving of a bit of overdrive but not much more.

e:

Southern Heel posted:

Because that's how the early ones sounded and like anything with guitar, people like things old school. It's just another tone for your palette after all.

Bill Posters fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Feb 28, 2016

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Southern Heel posted:

It sounds cool.

Why does anyone like any effect?

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Southern Heel posted:

analoge delays have more character as they decay. Whil most digial delays stay pristine the analog kinda of mushes into the mix and melds more organicly rather than the sharp noticeable ping of the digital variety

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Interesting thoughts. I played around with a digital delay today and it was nice, I guess I need to check the analogue out too.

I'm still thinking about that nice distortion pedal for my Orange's clean channel and I'm still torn between a Triple Wreck and a Pinnacle: I figure the Orange can get into cranked-marshal brown-sound territory with enough boost and it'll never sound like a Triple Rectifier - so my choice is almost made for me, except I really don't give two shits about 99% of metal written after the late 90's. Is it too niche?

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Why not get one that does both? Strymon have a new one out that is getting rave reviews, though it is pricey.

I still love my Vox Time Machine, can't see myself ever replacing it, does analogueish and pristine, goes super long (up to six seconds!) and can feedback like a mofo.

Used to have one of the Roland Space Echo pedals and that was really vibey.

Edit: just re read and realised you are talking about a decent unit you already own

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

I've got a BOSS ME-80 and the modulation effects on it are strictly functional: the 'out there' stuff is pretty rubbish. I've spent multiple years chasing the straight distorted metal tone and these thoughts of getting a distortion pedal to put infront of the clean channel on my amp is making me wonder if I should invest more time in the cleaner end of things

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Southern Heel posted:

I've got a BOSS ME-80 and the modulation effects on it are strictly functional: the 'out there' stuff is pretty rubbish. I've spent multiple years chasing the straight distorted metal tone and these thoughts of getting a distortion pedal to put infront of the clean channel on my amp is making me wonder if I should invest more time in the cleaner end of things

Yessss. It is the one true way. Or, in my case, dozens of the true way.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Southern Heel posted:

I've found that a good boost or light OD in front of the dirt channel is a fun way to get more interesting distortion sounds, but yeah you can't really go wrong with going distortion into the clean channel.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
I mated my two MXRs for that exact reason because they stack so well running into my Fender clean :circlefap:

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Southern Heel posted:

In addition to "it sounds cool" a delay that loses frequencies as it decays means it doesent mud up your playing so much.

Stayne Falls
Aug 11, 2007
Everything was beautiful

Sockington posted:

I mated my two MXRs for that exact reason because they stack so well running into my Fender clean :circlefap:

Forgive me if I'm missing the obvious, but what do you mean by 'mated'? Do you mean just...two pedals next to each other? Is the A/B box making me think of something more complex than that?

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Stayne Falls posted:

Forgive me if I'm missing the obvious, but what do you mean by 'mated'? Do you mean just...two pedals next to each other? Is the A/B box making me think of something more complex than that?

MXR pedals have a right angle power plug that can get in the way of the 1/4" input jack depending on which way the cable is routed. To avoid this, I hooked up a 9v connector backwards on the internal 9v battery hookup, then drilled a small hole to run power out the side in a more convenient spot. They are hard wired together into the daisy chain configuration so I could mount them directly next to each with that gold plated 1/4" double ended plug.

The A/B box just routes my signal either through the MXRs into my Fender Blackface side or through the BBE boost into my heavily distorted Marshall Plexi side of my dual preamp tube head.

Stayne Falls
Aug 11, 2007
Everything was beautiful
OH! Cool, thanks for going into detail about that! I can use that.

Ferrous Wheel
Aug 18, 2007

"This is not only a security risk but we occasionally get pigeons roosting in the space as a result."
Re: Chorus pedals, I started out using the "detune" setting on my Boss PS-5 for that, and have found that I like it better than almost any conventional chorus out there. It doesn't have the sweeping modulation effect, but it creates a nice rich ambient sound. Digitech now makes a pedal specifically for this purpose (the Luxe) and the Neunaber Chroma Chorus seems to work the same way, so I figure it's probably not just me.

In other news, I'm still looking for a distortion pedal that I really love. The Zeta is great for mild breakup and okay for sustain-y lead sounds, but I really want something that at least shoots for a IIC+ kind of compression and coloration and most people just say that can't be done. Now that the John Petrucci IIC+ reissue exists maybe someone will take a shot at it.

Stayne Falls
Aug 11, 2007
Everything was beautiful
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MiTHc8d9D20

I can't wait for this to be available.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Man, EHX is just killing it lately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UncleBlazer
Jan 27, 2011

Question about the 4x4: the 9v 400mA outputs, can I use these to power multiple pedals, sort of daisy chaining from an output?

My chain at the moment is:
Boss TU2
Walrus Deep Six
Caroline Wave Cannon
OBNE Procession
Echo Park
Timeline
Ditto

There's only 4 100mA when I need 6. Alternatively will a higher mA hurt pedals or is it just voltage that will harm them? ie just avoid the 12v