Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

capcom is pretty drat stupid actually, yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

Super noob question, but what do I when knocked down against Laura who then does the slow fireball (Thunderclap I think), then either a low attack or overhead. It feels really awkward because it holding back locks me into a guard animation, giving the opponent plenty of time to get another knockdown.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Lhet posted:

Super noob question, but what do I when knocked down against Laura who then does the slow fireball (Thunderclap I think), then either a low attack or overhead. It feels really awkward because it holding back locks me into a guard animation, giving the opponent plenty of time to get another knockdown.

block

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Even as a teenager who didn't know any better I remember seeing CFJ develop and experiencing major video-game disappointment anxiety as defined in the DSM.

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

So the game might take forever to find you an opponent, have horrible loading times, lacks a basic arcade mode, and netcode that only works sometimes but check out those SICK CHARTS and EXP METERS.

#RISE UP

Seeing stupid poo poo like this makes me feel like Capcom's priorities weren't straight with this project. Rushed or not.

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?
rise up and overthrow capcom's dictatorship

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Night Blade posted:

So the game might take forever to find you an opponent, have horrible loading times, lacks a basic arcade mode, and netcode that only works sometimes but check out those SICK CHARTS and EXP METERS.

#RISE UP

Seeing stupid poo poo like this makes me feel like Capcom's priorities weren't straight with this project. Rushed or not.

A lot of that, sure, but I find people in like 15 seconds still.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Ono should have to cut off at least one of his fingers to atone for this

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
I feel like both matchmaking and connection restrictions have been working for my group. We're all unranked scrubs who live in Seattle, and when we search for 5-bar connections we pretty much only get each other with the occasional bronze random thrown in. Despite the netcode not being perfect, it's still vastly superior to SF4's netcode - and we much prefer the gameplay of SFV compared to SF4. It's the best PC fighting game experience that any of us have had.

The problem is more that the user base, and thus the matchmaking playerbase, is small. Which is unsurprising when they blow their big release as horribly as CapCom did.

Sick! Thats DOPE
Aug 1, 2008

Oh sick man thats sick

In Training posted:

A lot of that, sure, but I find people in like 15 seconds still.

Sure 15 seconds then almost 2 minutes of loading various screens to get to the actual match followed by 30 seconds to get back to the main screen to look for a match again. I'm pretty sure in an hour I cant play over 12 matches.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Sick! Thats DOPE posted:

Sure 15 seconds then almost 2 minutes of loading various screens to get to the actual match followed by 30 seconds to get back to the main screen to look for a match again. I'm pretty sure in an hour I cant play over 12 matches.

Hopefully the rematch feature helps here. I'm sure some stupid idiot babbies will refuse because of their points, but for most people, I would expect if they find someone with a good connection and matchup, they will just rematch to save time

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

Sick! Thats DOPE posted:

It's better to just stare at the home screen and find a match. If you don't you have to sit through the loving training mode loading again.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

it's also better to get in battle lobbies

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
Wtf is chun li supposed to do against fireball spamming shotos? I feel stupidly helpless most of the time.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Krad posted:

Wtf is chun li supposed to do against fireball spamming shotos? I feel stupidly helpless most of the time.

Don't get dragged down to their level; try to practice timing a jump-in against them with a dummy in Training Mode. Your Super can also go through fireballs entirely.

VVV This, too.

bhsman fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Mar 17, 2016

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Krad posted:

The same thing everyone does. Walk forward, block. Walk forward, block.

Or you can be fancy and neutral jump instead of blocking.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

bhsman posted:

Don't get dragged down to their level; try to practice timing a jump-in against them with a dummy in Training Mode. Your Super can also go through fireballs entirely.

VVV This, too.

I lose way too much life by just blocking and walking, that's the problem. I did forget about chun's super, I'll have to practice that.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
You really don't lose very much life at all from blocking fireballs. 10% at most to push them most of the way into the corner.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Krad posted:

I lose way too much life by just blocking and walking, that's the problem. I did forget about chun's super, I'll have to practice that.

You really don't. 60~100 chip damage may seem like a lot for getting in against fireballs but it's basically the price you pay to get into the range where your character is better. The main problem is letting them out after you've closed that distance, which is why anti-airs are really important.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
Chun has a better fireball than Ryu and Ken. There's no reason she should have to advance on them.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

bhsman posted:

Don't get dragged down to their level; try to practice timing a jump-in against them with a dummy in Training Mode.

Also jesus christ this post.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

the only amount of life in your life bar that matters is the last point

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

Also jesus christ this post.

You see, sometimes you can jump over a fireball and hit them while they are still in recovery.

It's pretty rad.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

This might be interesting, but it's about chun vs nash and that's a little different. But I think the general principal could be applied: https://www.brokentier.com/blogs/brokentierblog/92329153-hit-the-ground-running-6-match-ups-online-play

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

"don't get dragged down to their level"

also jumping a fireball is 100% a guess and saying it's something you can practice is dumb

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

also jumping a fireball is 100% a guess and saying it's something you can practice is dumb

wow man.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

Chun's crouching medium punch can also go under fireballs if timed correctly.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

You could technically practice reaction at certain ranges, but yeah, it's a guess more often than not.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Dias posted:

You could technically practice reaction at certain ranges, but yeah, it's a guess more often than not.

jmcrofts also had a video on using the randomized dummy to practice reacting to fireballs, even if it's just learning to block and move forward.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

It's always a guess unless you have a move in the air that you can do to hit them earlier. If you are reacting to the fireball and jumping, they will recover before you can hit them with a jump attack. It's intentionally designed this way.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

The best way to practice this would be to make a Ryu dummy recording for each strength of fireball (LP, MP, HP, and EX) and set them all to play randomly. Then practice walking forward and neutral jumping and blocking until you close the gap.

Just remember to stop neutral jumping when you enter dragon punch range.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Zand posted:

the thing I think explains it is that Capcom is terrible. they made a bad game, and they have been making bad street fighter games for nearly 2 decades. they kicked off the death of SF with SF3 then punctuated the decline of the genre with capcom fighting evolution. they have been consistently terrible for years and years outside of the SF series as well. assuming they were rushed and this is the only possible explanation would be ignoring that they are actually just awful and have a history of being this way
I have an extremely hard time seeing how SF4 and onwards can in any way be called 'the death of SF'. I mean sure if you don't like the game you're not the only one but SF 4 is huge.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Sarchasm posted:

The best way to practice this would be to make a Ryu dummy recording for each strength of fireball (LP, MP, HP, and EX) and set them all to play randomly. Then practice walking forward and neutral jumping and blocking until you close the gap.

Just remember to stop neutral jumping when you enter dragon punch range.

be sure to record some shimmys and micro-walks in there as well

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

It's always a guess unless you have a move in the air that you can do to hit them earlier. If you are reacting to the fireball and jumping, they will recover before you can hit them with a jump attack. It's intentionally designed this way.

I'm willing to admit I misspoke when I said 'react' but don't Ken's fireballs have a lot more natural recovery to them? At closer ranges jumping in becomes a lot more viable, or at least against the level of opponent Krad may be facing.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

uh

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

Booyah- posted:

be sure to record some shimmys and micro-walks in there as well

micro-block the fireballs and neutral shimmy

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

a neutral jump is sort of like a vertical shimmy right

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
the startup of a fb is about the amount of time it takes to react to it, jump frames (including startup) leave you with about 12-15 frames of action before land, so you have to hit them as you're landing from the top of your jump. you basically can only react with something like a birdie j.MK at toe tip range and you have to be ricki ortiz and you have to be looking for it and you need like close to frame tight on getting the button press at the right time during your jump arc.

there are exceptions (sim having high range, divekicks, etc), but nope, pretty much never happening on raw reaction

anime was right fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Mar 17, 2016

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

Bisse posted:

I have an extremely hard time seeing how SF4 and onwards can in any way be called 'the death of SF'. I mean sure if you don't like the game you're not the only one but SF 4 is huge.

SF3 was start of the death of SF, or maybe technically SSF2 was, but really SF3 was basically the thing that sealed the deal. SF4 was an attempt at a resurgence but really it was nothing compared to SF2 in terms of market penetration. the series has been in a decline for a very long time

edit: idk how to help you with your Hard time seeing how sf4 is dead relative to sf2. sf2 pretty much singlehandedly saved arcades in the 90s. they redesigned the sega genesis controller to have 6 buttons just so they could provide a better experience for people wanting to play. both the genesis and the snes had SF bundled consoles that came with 2 controllers.

and here are links i copied from wikipedia about the importance of SF2 as not only a genre-defining game but something that sculpted the landscape for head to head competitive gaming period

http://www.egmnow.com/articles/news/egm-featurethe-5-most-influential-japanese-gamesday-four-street-fighter-ii/
http://www.1up.com/features/essential-50-street-fighter-ii
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/a_taoofbeatemups_pt2_retro

really, you can only go downhill from there. are you still having a hard time

Zand fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Mar 17, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

please explain, unless you mean you can practice reading your opponent