Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

DesperateDan posted:

Yup.

It looks like they just added up the maximum parts cost and book time for all the work independently rather than figuring out stuff that can be done at the same time, then added on some extra gently caress you money. Wouldn't be surprised if getting a dealership to do the work cost about as much.

Give it a go yourself if you have the time and space, or hunt down a decent independent garage- my A4 is having the gaskets on the rocker cover sorted, and it's going to come to parts cost and half an hours labour, rather than parts cost + markup + full book time of around 2 hours.

These guys are an independent garage, but I guess they get off on overcharging for stuff like a motherfucker. I'll shop around a few other places, otherwise, I'll have to parcel up the work and try to knock it out over a few weekends, maybe at a buddy's garage. I might quote the dealer for shits and giggles, just to swing back by that shop and laugh at them.

Shifty Pony posted:

You might want to get a quote from a dedicated suspension shop and a dedicated exhaust shop for the control arms and exhaust. They normally can quote lower prices because they can practically do the jobs in their sleep.

You could do the control arms at home with a buddy helping but once you get to the step of reseating the ball joint into the knuckle they might not be your buddy anymore.

I'm curious though - how do you know you need a new cat? Is the engine throwing an emissions code or acting like there is too much backpressure?

That's a good idea; as for the cat, there are no codes, it's their claim and I don't quite buy it, especially considering how insane a lot of that pricing is. I bet an exhaust shop could shim the downpipe for me really easily though, I may look into that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
What's the consensus on the GTI with the performance package? Is the 10hp and upgraded differential worth it?

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

BraveUlysses posted:

Manual or automatic?

Automatic. DSG.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

two_beer_bishes posted:

What's the consensus on the GTI with the performance package? Is the 10hp and upgraded differential worth it?

yes, absolutely. the differential alone is worth it.

obi_ant posted:

Automatic. DSG.

i'd like to think that the tow driver is probably not stupid enough to tow it in Park. You'd probably know right away if they did it wrong.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

two_beer_bishes posted:

The diff is worth it. The lighting package is nice too.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
I might swing by and check it out then, thanks!

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

BraveUlysses posted:

yes, absolutely. the differential alone is worth it.

i'd like to think that the tow driver is probably not stupid enough to tow it in Park. You'd probably know right away if they did it wrong.

Pardon my ignorance, but it was towed cause it was parked illegally. So they wouldn't ha e been able to take it out of park?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

obi_ant posted:

Pardon my ignorance, but it was towed cause it was parked illegally. So they wouldn't ha e been able to take it out of park?

I think he meant towing it rear end end in the air, dragging the drive wheels while the car is in park.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
That's why man invented tow dollies.

Parking illegally shouldn't give a tow operator carte blanch to negligently damage your car. Or maybe it does? I don't know, but a lawyer might. Probably depends on where you parked, if you had an expired meter or were blocking emergency access.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

It was one of those situations where I read the sign incorrectly, there were two different signs. The SFMTA are a bunch of crooks anyway. It took $600 to get my car out of the impound (which was taken only an hour earlier) and I got a ticket on top of that. I've never been towed before but ugh... $600 is so much money.

drizzle
Jul 7, 2004

The world is a fine place and worth the fighting for and I hate very much to leave it.
Hit black ice Wednesday and wedged my 09 gti between a metal barrier and light pole. They decided to total it Friday. Rip gti. Even though I can't remember ever driving you without a check engine light on you were still pretty good.

eriddy
Jan 21, 2005

sixty nine lmao

drizzle posted:

Hit black ice Wednesday and wedged my 09 gti between a metal barrier and light pole. They decided to total it Friday. Rip gti. Even though I can't remember ever driving you without a check engine light on you were still pretty good.

drat that sucks - what are you thinking of replacing it with?

drizzle
Jul 7, 2004

The world is a fine place and worth the fighting for and I hate very much to leave it.
Been looking around for the past two years and have been leaning towards a WRX. GTI is good but I could go for something different. Focus RS sounds awesome but doubt I would be able to get one at a reasonable price.

200 miles away from 150k on that thing :/

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
So big update in my continuing saga of my brand new broken '16 Jetta:

I'm now on my FORTH loaner. Long story short, the check engine light kept coming on for a brake vacuum pressure error, first time in they replaced the entire ECU :confused: , second time in they replace the brake sensor, third time in they replaced the brake booster/pump. After the third time the car was making a strange popping sound under slow acceleration, and then they check engine light came on AGAIN, this time for the MAF sensor.

Turns out when they installed the new vacuum pump, they broke the wiring harness clips and it was rattling around causing the popping sound.

Needless to say, after multiple calls/emails to VW corporate, I am finally getting a new car.

If it were up to me, id ditch VW forever and get something else entirely, but it's technically my fiance's car, and she really just wants another identical jetta, because "we got such a good deal" :rolleyes:

I would gladly pay more to never sit in another VW again, but who knows, maybe the new one won't be a huge piece of poo poo lemon.

Luckily this is just a lease and I don't have to own this thing for more than 3 years....

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Cyrano4747 posted:

I get an email today at work out of the blue. Some sales manager (call him "Bill") at my VW dealership saying that a friend of his is looking for a TDI Jetta and if I'm interested in selling to give a call. I"m always open to an offer so I phone on lunch. He's not in, but the phone lady says that he sent a few of those out. I say I"m a little skeptical because it's a TDI and she assures me that they've become really popular re-sale because they can't sell them except used these days, it shouldn't be an issue with value, etc. It's time sensitive and it would be best if I came in as soon as possible.

After work I head on down and ask for Bill like I was told to. He's not there, but Bob will be happy to take care of me. He's up front that I"m going to lose $3-6k off the value because of the TDI thing and has no idea why I was told otherwise. He takes the info, runs the VIN, and has a manager give me some numbers.

While the manager is doing his thing I get to hear Bob tell me about how the diesel thing is no big deal because environmental warming is a scam. I point out the emissions thing is about NOx and he goes off about how smog is really caused by dry climates and construction in big cities. This coming from a dude dressed in tie-dye with a bead curtain over his corner office while Hey Jude was piped over the office was great.

Finally the manager comes out and he gives me numbers for my 2014 TDI Jetta with 23k miles on it:

$8,500

Can't go higher because of the diesel stop sale which means they can't sell it as a CPO.

Godfuckingdamnit VW. I have only myself to blame for believing your phone lady who said it wouldn't be an issue. I wasn't even looking to sell, but christ I shouldn't have even wasted the time driving out to get the offer.

Yikes. I traded in my 11 TDI Golf in back in July with 42k on the clock and got 12.

As to the R questions. There are only 2 options when ordering the car. Nav/19s/DCC and ACC. For the extra cost of the "DCC" you also get 19" wheels and the nav unit. The16 R comes with MIB2 vs MIB1 in the 15s. The 16 is also available in manual transmission.

As far as comparing an mk6 to an mk7, the difference in the platform is night and day. The mk6 was still on the old platform and the mk7 switched to MQB. Lighter, stiffer, much quieter. Also remember that Audi maintenance costs are going to be higher across the board vs VW maintenance costs.

The new Jetta will probably be problem free. In my experience my VWs have always either been problem free or a massive piece of poo poo. Although the one that was a massive piece of poo poo was a stripper model 95 Jetta.

veedubfreak fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Mar 1, 2016

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Just got a CEL on my GTI. Again. It's for the MAF. Again. Ugh, so annoying. The first time, it turnout out to be a faulty "intake flapper motor", which cost me about $400, but then I got back when VW put out a recall for it. The second time (last fall) was because the MAF wires through the bulkhead were worn through and I had to get the hardness repaired. I'm curious what it is this time. Maybe it's the actual sensor, which would allow me to use the spare that I bought years ago the first time the fault came up!

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Uthor posted:

Just got a CEL on my GTI. Again. It's for the MAF. Again. Ugh, so annoying. The first time, it turnout out to be a faulty "intake flapper motor", which cost me about $400, but then I got back when VW put out a recall for it. The second time (last fall) was because the MAF wires through the bulkhead were worn through and I had to get the hardness repaired. I'm curious what it is this time. Maybe it's the actual sensor, which would allow me to use the spare that I bought years ago the first time the fault came up!

Our car is weirdly expensive, but I suppose all Volkswagens are.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
This is why I bought the warranty out to 7 years. Ya I might get lucky and not ever need it, but in the long run it's cheap insurance.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

veedubfreak posted:

This is why I bought the warranty out to 7 years. Ya I might get lucky and not ever need it, but in the long run it's cheap insurance.

I'm on year 9...

Honestly, it's annoying, but it hasn't been much money in the long run. I've spent way more fixing wheels because of potholes.

Speaking of, I'm going to need a new set of 17" wheels for my summer tires (TireRack arbitrarily changed the width of the cheapo ones I bought from them years ago and I don't want to have one wheel that is a 1/2" wider than the other three). Can I assume that other stock Audi and VW (Jetta?) wheels will work just fine on a MKV GTI? I'm thinking I might get lucky and find a used set on Craigslist.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Uthor posted:

I'm on year 9...

Honestly, it's annoying, but it hasn't been much money in the long run. I've spent way more fixing wheels because of potholes.

Speaking of, I'm going to need a new set of 17" wheels for my summer tires (TireRack arbitrarily changed the width of the cheapo ones I bought from them years ago and I don't want to have one wheel that is a 1/2" wider than the other three). Can I assume that other stock Audi and VW (Jetta?) wheels will work just fine on a MKV GTI? I'm thinking I might get lucky and find a used set on Craigslist.

I believe mk5/6/7 all use the same bolt pattern and backspacing. I'm currently in the opposite position. I have 3 sets of wheels and tires to get rid of. 2 sets of snows from my previous 2 cars and the stock wheels from the current car.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
I figured I'd crosspost from the general QA thread--

Yo I have a warranty on my car (2011 A4) so I get it serviced by the Audi dealership. They are outwardly very friendly people. I took my car in in September or so because the transmission was lurching. They charged me for software updates for like 200 bucks (how the gently caress something could break and need software updates to fix was beyond me but they wouldn't do anything else without charging me to tear apart my transmission, the diagnostics of which wouldn't be covered under warranty) and it didn't fix the problem.

About two weeks ago, my power steering breaks entirely so I take it in to have the power steering and the transmission looked at since it's doing the same thing. They call back yesterday(I've had the loaner car for about ten days now), say they've fixed the power steering but can't get the transmission to lurch, then before I can get in there call back and say the power steering actually wasn't fixed, and while they were driving it to check the transmission 'something else went wrong.' They said the check engine light came on and the transmission started grinding much worse, so they'd need more time to look at what happened.

Today my service advisor calls me on her day off from a cell phone. I can't hear much but she says something about 'impact' somewhere not in the transmission, I think she said transfer case but I'm not sure. That's out of warranty for some reason and will be 1700 dollars to fix. I told her to call me back when she's at work tomorrow.

Is it just me or is this just about the shadiest goddamn thing you've ever heard of? They want me to pay for something that happened while their technicians were driving the car, from what I understand. I don't know the first loving thing about cars, so I wouldn't even know what questions to ask. Can somebody weigh in and tell me if I'm getting hosed here?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

veedubfreak posted:

I believe mk5/6/7 all use the same bolt pattern and backspacing. I'm currently in the opposite position. I have 3 sets of wheels and tires to get rid of. 2 sets of snows from my previous 2 cars and the stock wheels from the current car.

Are you near IL? :D

charismaslover
Dec 3, 2006

Too stylish for this world...

Sharzak posted:

I figured I'd crosspost from the general QA thread--

Yo I have a warranty on my car (2011 A4) so I get it serviced by the Audi dealership. They are outwardly very friendly people. I took my car in in September or so because the transmission was lurching. They charged me for software updates for like 200 bucks (how the gently caress something could break and need software updates to fix was beyond me but they wouldn't do anything else without charging me to tear apart my transmission, the diagnostics of which wouldn't be covered under warranty) and it didn't fix the problem.

About two weeks ago, my power steering breaks entirely so I take it in to have the power steering and the transmission looked at since it's doing the same thing. They call back yesterday(I've had the loaner car for about ten days now), say they've fixed the power steering but can't get the transmission to lurch, then before I can get in there call back and say the power steering actually wasn't fixed, and while they were driving it to check the transmission 'something else went wrong.' They said the check engine light came on and the transmission started grinding much worse, so they'd need more time to look at what happened.

Today my service advisor calls me on her day off from a cell phone. I can't hear much but she says something about 'impact' somewhere not in the transmission, I think she said transfer case but I'm not sure. That's out of warranty for some reason and will be 1700 dollars to fix. I told her to call me back when she's at work tomorrow.

Is it just me or is this just about the shadiest goddamn thing you've ever heard of? They want me to pay for something that happened while their technicians were driving the car, from what I understand. I don't know the first loving thing about cars, so I wouldn't even know what questions to ask. Can somebody weigh in and tell me if I'm getting hosed here?

As someone who works for Audi and processes warranty in the UK I'll try to help but there may be some differences between the markets/regions:

If your car is within manufacturers warranty (which I looked up in the US is 4 year/50,000 miles?) then I don't see why you were even charged for the first software update as that would have been claimable through warranty for the dealership. I claim for diagnostic time on almost every claim I submit, the only time Audi won't pay for diagnostics is if no fault can be found.

The service advisor calling on a day off sounds suspicious - pretty much I'd just ask why this isn't covered under warranty, as long as you've been getting your car maintained at the specific intervals for gearbox oil for example then I don't see how any gearbox related issue wouldn't be covered under warranty, it's not your fault something inside failed and additional faults happened during the time in the dealer then I also don't see why it would be covered under warranty.

If the dealer still doesn't help out try phoning Audi customer services to see if they'll pressure the dealer into finding out what is actually going on.

TL;DR - Based on what you've said, if my car was still within manufacturer warranty and had these faults I wouldn't be paying poo poo. Extended warranty is a different beast altogether however....

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Uthor posted:

Are you near IL? :D

Unfortunately no, and they're 15 16 and 19 inch wheels.

E: Sharzak, are you a woman? I don't mean this in an offensive way, but dealerships just LOOOOOOVE to abuse women customers because they assume they don't know anything and will just have it fixed.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!
Or perhaps, an effeminate man?

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
I am a big strong man with a thick beard who doesn't know dick about cars. My car's warranty is through Fidelity Warranty Services. I have 95,000 miles on it and the warranty expires at 100k.

From what I understand the warranty specifically excludes fixing stuff resulting from impact, and the dealership says it looks like an impact occurred which caused the problem. I certainly don't remember any impact and they were driving the car at the time of failure. I was not in it. I'm not sure if it was failure of this part in particular. They told me they were driving and the transmission became very unstable, they attributed that to some kind of coil that was going to be completely covered under warranty. They called me the next day and said while they were fixing the coil they discovered another problem, the one that's going to cost 1700 to repair.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I'd ask to see what they're talking about with the car on the lift, to verify if it actually hit something.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
If I had to make a bet, the techs took it on a test drive, hosed up and decided to cover that poo poo up. Quick call to the service advisor with either a lie or a "hey get me off the hook here" later, and you are looking at a big bill.

Get very interested, ask to look at the damage, take pictures, escalate it to corporate and hope for the best

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
It also may be apparent from looking at the damage whether it looks fresh or old. If the problem was caused by an impact in September and has been slowly getting worse and finally poo poo the bed while the techs are driving that is very different situation from it being damaged while in their care.

Grakkus
Sep 4, 2011

How reliable are Audi B4 Avants with the 2.6l V6? My research has indicated that they're reliable, but now I've heard that they might not be? I'm a dirty Euro so parts are not too hard to come by.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Sharzak posted:

I am a big strong man with a thick beard who doesn't know dick about cars. My car's warranty is through Fidelity Warranty Services. I have 95,000 miles on it and the warranty expires at 100k.

From what I understand the warranty specifically excludes fixing stuff resulting from impact, and the dealership says it looks like an impact occurred which caused the problem. I certainly don't remember any impact and they were driving the car at the time of failure. I was not in it. I'm not sure if it was failure of this part in particular. They told me they were driving and the transmission became very unstable, they attributed that to some kind of coil that was going to be completely covered under warranty. They called me the next day and said while they were fixing the coil they discovered another problem, the one that's going to cost 1700 to repair.

I only asked because that's usually the type of poo poo they pull on women vs trying to blame some burly dude for their mistake. Which dealership is this so we know to avoid it.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Almost hit the 6 month mark, thanks again you loving idiots at VW. Value of my car plunged from 21k to 13k in 6 months.

VW’s US chief resigns, regulator raises doubts that diesels can be fixed

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

BraveUlysses posted:

Almost hit the 6 month mark, thanks again you loving idiots at VW. Value of my car plunged from 21k to 13k in 6 months.

VW’s US chief resigns, regulator raises doubts that diesels can be fixed

The best part about that article is where they say that the regulators are considering OK'ing partial fixes for the vehicles. Great! Resale would still be hosed but it gives VW an excuse to not buy it back.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Whelp. Pretty sure the (automatic) transmission just blew on my 2 year old, 23k miles Jetta TDI. Won't shift gears until it's revved to 4k+ and then it jumps down to nothing with an audible crunching noise. Engine light is on, and it's doing that thing where it alternates a flashing wrench while your gear selection flashes as well, which the manual says is VW for "your transmission is hosed, go to the dealer."

In other news I am very glad right now that I added the powertrain warranty extension.

gently caress VW.

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

You're a donkey. I like that.

Cyrano4747 posted:

Whelp. Pretty sure the (automatic) transmission just blew on my 2 year old, 23k miles Jetta TDI. Won't shift gears until it's revved to 4k+ and then it jumps down to nothing with an audible crunching noise. Engine light is on, and it's doing that thing where it alternates a flashing wrench while your gear selection flashes as well, which the manual says is VW for "your transmission is hosed, go to the dealer."

In other news I am very glad right now that I added the powertrain warranty extension.

gently caress VW.

Sucks you have to deal with it but at least it won't cost you any money in repairs.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Cyrano4747 posted:

gently caress VW.

Why wouldn't it be covered under your factory warranty?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Bovril Delight posted:

Why wouldn't it be covered under your factory warranty?

You're right, my wife thought it was only through 20k and I was just pissed and posting without double checking that.

Still pissed, but it would have been covered anyway.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Hey, they should be giving us a loaner, right? The service center is closed but my wife is chatting with some VW thing online (she wanted to see if we could schedule something for tomorrow without having to wait until they open) and they're saying that we can't get a loaner but they can hook us up with a special rate enterprise rental for $30/day.

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

You're a donkey. I like that.

Cyrano4747 posted:

Hey, they should be giving us a loaner, right? The service center is closed but my wife is chatting with some VW thing online (she wanted to see if we could schedule something for tomorrow without having to wait until they open) and they're saying that we can't get a loaner but they can hook us up with a special rate enterprise rental for $30/day.

Depends on the dealership. Some do loaners, some don't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

Cyrano4747 posted:

Keep trying for a loaner, $30/day isn't that great of a hook up.