Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

Flesh Forge posted:

Guys it's totally normal if someone spends money that could pay for an entire house, on a single video game I don't see what the big deal is :shrug:

I'd like to see a livable house in the US go for $20k. My parents' old house in a low income, super high crime rate neighborhood sold for $25k and the front half of it literally came down.

v: touche :v:

Safari Disco Lion fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Mar 17, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

you can buy a car for 20k. a car is basically a house with wheels

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
How hard is it to add links to a unique?

I found a Goldrim hat thing that gives +37% to all resistances when I was like level 6 I think, and I've been wearing it ever since.

But I'd like to have more slots up there--or I guess just replace the hat with a hat with links already, but losing out on those resists seems like a bad idea.

baby puzzle
Jun 3, 2011

I'll Sequence your Storm.
It is very easy to get an item 4-linked. If you are poor then you might want to use Vorici's crafting bench.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

A Strange Aeon posted:

How hard is it to add links to a unique?

I found a Goldrim hat thing that gives +37% to all resistances when I was like level 6 I think, and I've been wearing it ever since.

But I'd like to have more slots up there--or I guess just replace the hat with a hat with links already, but losing out on those resists seems like a bad idea.

Check the item level (hold alt over it) it will not be able to get more than 3 sockets if its under item level 25. If it is that low use Vorici's bench to force it to 4.

Ada
Apr 22, 2014

Practice proper gun's safety.
Goldrim lets you be extremely lazy/greedy about your resists on other items and go for rarity and stuff, so if you like not having to pay too much attention to your armor you should go ahead and link it.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Goldrim can last you all the way to merciless, at which point items will have enough stats to compete with up to +40 all resist and 10% rarity, buy it up if you see cadiro offer it early, I didn't know about the vorici trick so that's useful.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Awesome! posted:

you can buy a car for 20k. a car is basically a house with wheels

You could buy like five cars for $20k and park them in different places and be able to brag about having a vacation home on the beach and a little place (very little) in the city

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Interesting--yeah, I checked the item level and it's item level 3, so I must have found it even earlier than I thought--probably in the first hour of playing.

Why do you need to Alt-Over to see the Item Level, anyway?

And can someone explain what the Vorici trick is?

Also, is it possible someone could look at my character and give me some direction? I get the feeling I made some mistakes in the tree (I know that's common), but is there some way to redeem what I've done so far?

https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/a_strange_aeon

My main way to play is summoning a fire elemental, 7 zombies, and 2 spectres. And then I have a Spell Echoed Freezing Pulse as my main attack, and I help out the minions with Flesh Offering and the flaming skull things that go away really quickly. Oh, and I do a Frost Bomb sometimes to make the Freezing Pulse better.

I realized I missed a pretty big minion node somehow--the Gravepact one, so I am headed down towards it now. But I do have like 9 regret points, if there's a way to make my build more viable somehow.

I haven't had too much difficulty yet, though I'm only on the sea caves part of the first act in Cruel--I just don't want to throw good skill points after bad if there's a way to extend the viability of the character.

My stash is horribly organized, but all my currency is on the first tab--so if I should be buying better equipment or something, that's what I have to work with.

Oh, and I haven't done the Labyrinth on Normal yet because I keep dying to traps when I get impatient--I guess I should go back and do that soon.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

A Strange Aeon posted:

Why do you need to Alt-Over to see the Item Level, anyway?

And can someone explain what the Vorici trick is?

Item Level tells you what what mods/sockets an item can possibly roll. For sockets, pretty much anything can get at least 3 sockets, 4 sockets require ilvl>25, 5 sockets ilvl>35, 6 sockets ilvl>50. Vorici's crafting bench (which is all about sockets/links/colors) can force an item to have more sockets than its ilvl (although you're not going to try to force a 5 or 6 link onto too many low level items...Quill Rain I can see being one of them).

As for item mods, I'll let you wander down that rabbit hole.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Well I got my account separated from Steam but apparently I am one of those people who gets stuck on "Checking resources..." :smith:

e: I give up, all the solutions for this problem either didn't work for me or are super retarded. I guess I'd rather wait an hour per patch than not play at all :shrug:

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Mar 17, 2016

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

whypick1 posted:

Item Level tells you what what mods/sockets an item can possibly roll. For sockets, pretty much anything can get at least 3 sockets, 4 sockets require ilvl>25, 5 sockets ilvl>35, 6 sockets ilvl>50. Vorici's crafting bench (which is all about sockets/links/colors) can force an item to have more sockets than its ilvl (although you're not going to try to force a 5 or 6 link onto too many low level items...Quill Rain I can see being one of them).

As for item mods, I'll let you wander down that rabbit hole.

Maybe I'm being a moron, but who is Vorici and where is this crafting bench?

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

A Strange Aeon posted:

Maybe I'm being a moron, but who is Vorici and where is this crafting bench?

He is one of the forsaken masters that you meet in areas from Act 3. He is the assassin, gives you tasks that involve killing off a hero character, or damaging a hero character and not killing him, or kiting a hero character away from a chest and then running back to open it. Depending on your build, they can be really hard to complete successfully.

Forsaken Masters are randomly scattered throughout areas, as you do task for them, they level up, and offer you a hide out, and crafting benches that let you improve your existing items for currency.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

I really don't feel like Cadiro shows up enough.

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

Also to get a master's crafting bench without having to dismiss one of your current ones and ruin any rep they might have, use /claim_crafting_benches in the chatbox. That'll put all the ones you can get into your hideout tab thingee.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

NecroMonster posted:

Related: chests show up too loving much and usually in the worst places (right next to each other/as soon you enter and area/next to map boss/...).

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

whypick1 posted:

Related: chests show up too loving much and usually in the worst places (right next to each other/as soon you enter and area/next to map boss/...).

Are you complaining about currency chests showing up too much?

For reals?

Thats a new one for me.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

yeah that was bonkers so i was just gunna let it be

baby puzzle
Jun 3, 2011

I'll Sequence your Storm.
Does Izaro's last phase always have a bunch of traps and poo poo in it? I just got a really hosed up layout, and I should have just left but I died instantly instead. I just cannot get past normal difficulty in this league. I guess I need to completely over-level Izaro to have a chance.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

Labyrinth is meant to be done when you're overlevelled. Third encounter Izaro has everything you left him with (elemental pylons or whatever they are, the things that come out of the ground) as well as the traps rolling around.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

and the traps are basically fine if you've properly cleared the first two fights and avoid the green circle which i don't think even happens in the normal version anymore

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I think Lab can be done at any time, once you have >3k ehp, and have your defences set up, a decent amount of regen, and have a good single target skill. You don't need to kill most mob packs in Lab.

Pinball Jizzard
Jun 23, 2010
For any other new players starting I highly recommend the LiftingManBro or whatever his name is builds. His dual totem build is disgusting and even without the casting when damage taken setups I'm rocking through cruel without any issues.

The only thing I'd say is that taking dual totems as soon as available isn't the best idea. I waited a few levels until all of the flame totem link gems became available and since then I've become a horrible God of death.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

NecroMonster posted:

I'm always paranoid his appearance rate gets toned down every patch.

So, blade vortex necromancer witch, thinking of going with one of these two passive builds by level 90.
Build one Scion life cluster and 45% more duration

Build two Shadow area and more dex and damage and another shield block cluster.

Thoughts? that 45% duration is nice looking but a heavy point investment to reach.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Mar 17, 2016

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Phobophilia posted:

I think Lab can be done at any time, once you have >3k ehp, and have your defences set up, a decent amount of regen, and have a good single target skill. You don't need to kill most mob packs in Lab.

I'm sure they're mainly there to refill your flasks that you chugged getting over traps.

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost

Flesh Forge posted:

I'm sure they're mainly there to refill your flasks that you chugged getting over traps.

Let me tell you the worst thing about switching over to lowlife/ES is not being able to chug flasks in response to traps.

moush
Aug 19, 2009

Rage Your Dream
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1621190

R.I.P. this worm build. Nerfed only hours after he releases the guide for it.

nearly killed em!
Aug 5, 2011

I'm playing in hardcore and I've done the lab as soon as I finish the Hedge Maze on every character. I don't even bother waiting to equip better gear. I'm about to do it a fourth time (in normal, I've done dozens of Merc runs) on a Spectral Throw character.

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

moush posted:

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1621190

R.I.P. this worm build. Nerfed only hours after he releases the guide for it.

Someone mentioned a build that can oneshot Atziri but didn't get nerfed - what's that?!

Elerion
May 31, 2011

bakka bakka posted:

I'm playing in hardcore and I've done the lab as soon as I finish the Hedge Maze on every character. I don't even bother waiting to equip better gear. I'm about to do it a fourth time (in normal, I've done dozens of Merc runs) on a Spectral Throw character.

Congratulations.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

pork never goes bad posted:

Someone mentioned a build that can oneshot Atziri but didn't get nerfed - what's that?!

Vaal Righteous Fire I think, takes balls of steel tho

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Vortex witch is pretty good so far.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Mar 17, 2016

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

The Real Foogla posted:

Vaal Righteous Fire I think, takes balls of steel tho

You just use Vaal Immortal Call tho?

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*
protip: Don't take your sleep meds and then try to run the labyrinth. I sat there looking at my hp slowly tick down until I realized I was standing on a Doomba.

modernlifeisadam
Dec 29, 2006
Haven't played since WB, levelled a trapper to 70 this week, started alcing maps and so bored tbh. Ice trap is disgustingly strong, Ele Equilibrium procced by fire trap( if you want, I really like fire trap and EE, FT has like 6k dps in a 2l rn for me aswell) + 6l conc eff cold pen cluster all the spell dmg ones etc, Ele Weakness/Frostbite optional, 1-2 shots everything if you aim right. Jade + Stibnite flask is 10k evasion on command ontop of Acrobatics, need to switch to belly so I can have more flaskage. Can't decide Slayer, Inquisitor(How buffed is LS) or Raider next.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Slo-Tek posted:

He is one of the forsaken masters that you meet in areas from Act 3. He is the assassin, gives you tasks that involve killing off a hero character, or damaging a hero character and not killing him, or kiting a hero character away from a chest and then running back to open it. Depending on your build, they can be really hard to complete successfully.

Forsaken Masters are randomly scattered throughout areas, as you do task for them, they level up, and offer you a hide out, and crafting benches that let you improve your existing items for currency.

Oh okay, I think I ran into that guy once so far.

Is there a hideout limit or can I just make all the hideouts as the masters level up? A few ones have that as an option now in town, but it seemed like it was maybe a choice that locked out other choices so I didn't pursue any yet.

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

A Strange Aeon posted:

Oh okay, I think I ran into that guy once so far.

Is there a hideout limit or can I just make all the hideouts as the masters level up? A few ones have that as an option now in town, but it seemed like it was maybe a choice that locked out other choices so I didn't pursue any yet.

You can only have one hideout, but you can switch them as you wish - but ideally you want it to be a master that you intend to get to the highest level. In general people go with masters that are essentially impossible to fail missions for like Elron, Tora and Catarina. You don't want your hideout to be linked to a master that is difficult for some builds - for example certain Vorici missions are flat out impossible for some builds and Zana missions can end up with map mods that you simply cannot do or time limits to find items that simply refuse to drop.

Finally you'll want to run dailies with other people so you can do their dailies as well as yours as that will allow you to level your masters significantly faster.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Gibbo posted:

protip: Don't take your sleep meds and then try to run the labyrinth. I sat there looking at my hp slowly tick down until I realized I was standing on a Doomba.

I'M A BIG BOY I CAN HANDLE LEVEL 8 MAPS

izaro two shots me

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Vortex witch is pretty good so far.
This is wonderful :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

So far the only thing I have trouble with is zoning out and then randomly I'll nick a ele reflect mob off screen due to arc arcin' it up and I pop myself

If I take vaal pact and have a bunch of LL to spells, would that counteract me instagibbing myself

• Locked thread