Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
oh we're talking about Guessing Game? Let's discuss how this worked for me
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Urintg4pXx8

I won't tell you how many tries it took because you'll probably get mad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

It was his first try.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
i like the elevator music

no i'm serious it's a very nice touch

YET ANOTHER FAG
Mar 6, 2003

by R. Guyovich
For fucks sake.

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

Secondary Objective: Commit Fraud - Complete
I got that achievement by joining on a Firestarter game in progress ages ago. First second of day 2 the host cut both power boxes, unlocked every door, and killed every guard.

Achievement was bullshit so I didn't care either way.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Who the gently caress designed this goddamn water fountain.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Tulip posted:

What's wrong with it? The faucet on the left is for filling bottles, and has clearance sufficient that you won't hit your head on it while using the drinking component.

Wastrel_
Jun 3, 2004

Read it and weep.
I'm personally just glad they've stopped the practice of locking weapon mods behind achievements. That was just poo poo all around.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Wastrel_ posted:

I'm personally just glad they've stopped the practice of locking weapon mods behind achievements. That was just poo poo all around.

Standing in the Harvest & Trustee back parking lot shooting a mosin at fuckers rappelling builds character. :argh:

Wastrel_
Jun 3, 2004

Read it and weep.
It doesn't build as much character as ziplining back and forth on White Xmas taking potshots with the R93.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Wastrel_ posted:

It doesn't build as much character as ziplining back and forth on White Xmas taking potshots with the R93.

Why the hell would you do that one on White Xmas?

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Discendo Vox posted:

What's wrong with it? The faucet on the left is for filling bottles, and has clearance sufficient that you won't hit your head on it while using the drinking component.

The faucet on the right is at the back of the fountain.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Tulip posted:

The faucet on the right is at the back of the fountain.

So? It's a common design. the relative position of the fountain only becomes an issue if the fountain is recessed.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!
This is the weirdest tangent.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Tulip posted:

Swedes, presumably.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Discendo Vox posted:

So? It's a common design. the relative position of the fountain only becomes an issue if the fountain is recessed.

First, drat, I've never seen one like that but I'm not exactly a water fountain expert. Second, either your google fu is incredible or you know a lot about water fountains.

LuciferMorningstar posted:

This is the weirdest tangent.

I can think of weirder but I don't want to bring them up.

Unpopular opinion: I like locking mods behind achievements. The problem with the sniper achievements was that several were painful and grindy.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Tulip posted:

Unpopular opinion: I like locking mods behind achievements. The problem with the sniper achievements was that several were painful and grindy.

If the achievements are easy it's better than card drops, but if they implemented a more reasonable system then it'd solve a lot of issues.

Overkill please just put gagecoin in the game.

Wastrel_
Jun 3, 2004

Read it and weep.

UnknownMercenary posted:

Why the hell would you do that one on White Xmas?

It has long ziplines for much cop-zhooting potential.

Tulip posted:

Not so bad, yes, if the achievements are not stupid and annoying to get, but I like being able to immediately use the stuff I paid for without jumping through arbitrary hoops.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Or you could have just done it on trustee bank and save yourself lots of trouble.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
I did it on White Christmas because I forgot about the H&T zipline, it isn't bad if you've got a laser

Wastrel_
Jun 3, 2004

Read it and weep.
To be honest, the one where you had to kill 25 bulldozers with the gewehr - in a time before DMR kit - was worse.

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
I love Star Citizen, and all it's craziness
GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA
College Slice

Wastrel_ posted:

To be honest, the one where you had to kill 25 bulldozers with the gewehr - in a time before DMR kit - was worse.

Such an easy one to do now with Birth of Sky. At least one dozer guaranteed to spawn in the plane, even on normal. Either that or find the Dozer container on Meltdown.

Would never have even done that one if not for those two missions.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Two guaranteed on Hotline 2 and you don't need to finish the mission to do it. So you average about 0.5 dozers a minute on that heist. Still, that one is also on the naughty list.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Weapon mods locked behind achievements can be fine if the achievements are skill checks for the effective use of the weapon, designed to teach what they are good at. To some extent the sniper pack achievements met this standard, but few of the other achievement-locked mods do.

Tulip posted:

Two guaranteed on Hotline 2 and you don't need to finish the mission to do it. So you average about 0.5 dozers a minute on that heist. Still, that one is also on the naughty list.

I'm not positive the odds on those are 100%, sadly. I liked running meltdown for it.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Locked part achievements immediately hit rock bottom on Assault Pack's Not Today. I remember being really happy getting that on accident like maybe a few days in after its release and then feeling sorry for all the people wanting to catch a cloaker jumping, only for them to hit them running or being the one jumped.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Kill 20 dozers with a G3, so if you play in regular groups of 4, carefully coordinate who gets to kill 80 dozers.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Crabtree posted:

Locked part achievements immediately hit rock bottom on Assault Pack's Not Today. I remember being really happy getting that on accident like maybe a few days in after its release and then feeling sorry for all the people wanting to catch a cloaker jumping, only for them to hit them running or being the one jumped.

God that one sucked. I finally got it last week after bringing the GL40 along for about ten hours of normal play. OTOH, it gave me a whole new appreciation for the amount of mass slaughter you can perform with a GL40 and one guy running Gambler.

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

Secondary Objective: Commit Fraud - Complete
I got that one in a few tries playing Watchdogs on overkill. A cloaker almost always spawns out of one of the manholes on the passenger side of the truck within the first minute, it was a simple matter of softening one up a bit and shooting him as he hopped over one of the wooden crates near that metal gate.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Tulip posted:

Discendo Vox posted:

I'm not positive the odds on those are 100%, sadly. I liked running meltdown for it.

Turns out I asked the long guide author about this:

"There are 5 different events that can occur after the door is gone: Bulldozers, 2 Cloakers, smoke grenades, ordinary SWATs, nothing. The game picks 4 out of 5 on OK+DW and 3 out of 5 on H+VH (but additionally evaluates a 45% chance for Bulldozers and does nothing otherwise)."

So 80% odds. Good enough!

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Wastrel_ posted:

That achievement was the one that gave you the G3 DMR kit. :v:

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.

UnknownMercenary posted:

That achievement was the one that gave you the G3 DMR kit. :v:

I think that's what they meant.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

Concordat posted:

I got that one in a few tries playing Watchdogs on overkill. A cloaker almost always spawns out of one of the manholes on the passenger side of the truck within the first minute, it was a simple matter of softening one up a bit and shooting him as he hopped over one of the wooden crates near that metal gate.

The problem is making them jump instead of run. Out of all the specials that immediately do their thing, the cloaker is most like a cat in that they will break the game to not do the thing you want them to do - which is usually die in 1-5 headshots.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Crabtree posted:

Remember that it wasn't jump kicking, it was jumping, like it does to get over cars.

God I'd totally blacked that one out.

Looking back, the Sniper ones are a mixed bag (Surprise Motherfucker is a good example, Last Action Villian a bad one). Big Bank was generally fine. Shotgun ones were fun even if 50 shields with slugs was probably a little much. Assault was also a mixed bag, though I'd lean towards bad just because of Not Today. Hotline was fun other than Overdose being a little stupid (and the names not matching up to the masks :mad:). Historical was mostly fun. AK/CAR was almost entirely fun. Bomb Heists was also OK.

So there weren't even a lot of achievements doing this, and probably 5 of them were bad (the ziplining Sniper ones, 25 dozers and jumping cloaker for assault, and maybe Shotgun 101). Still, Not Today is so memorably bad as to sort of taint the whole pool.

Discendo Vox posted:

Turns out I asked the long guide author about this:

"There are 5 different events that can occur after the door is gone: Bulldozers, 2 Cloakers, smoke grenades, ordinary SWATs, nothing. The game picks 4 out of 5 on OK+DW and 3 out of 5 on H+VH (but additionally evaluates a 45% chance for Bulldozers and does nothing otherwise)."

So 80% odds. Good enough!

Thanks for looking that up, that's pretty cool.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

pubstove.jpeg

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
I death wished in the 2 of 26 hours I've played this game, thus it is technically all the time. :smug:

Were they saying they're waiting two weeks until the skill betas hit? Also was it this month or next that the other mega masks were to drop?

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Tulip posted:

Remember that it wasn't jump kicking, it was jumping, like it does to get over cars.

God I'd totally blacked that one out.

I think I got that one when a teammate got nailed by a Cloaker, then I hit the Cloaker with the GL40, shouted up the teammate, and finished the Cloaker with a follow-up grenade as it tried to kick them again. Unintentional but somehow the timing worked out. :v:

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Joined a pubby that was doing Four Stores

I spawned, he was down on the ground, he says "meds" and fires a rocket at me. we failed.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?

Crabtree posted:

I death wished in the 2 of 26 hours I've played this game, thus it is technically all the time. :smug:

Were they saying they're waiting two weeks until the skill betas hit? Also was it this month or next that the other mega masks were to drop?

The thread I read on the Steam forums made it sound like we were more like a month off, unless I misread dates on the earlier posts.

I don't dislike some of what they're saying they're thinking about doing, but I'm cautiously optimistic at best. At least they seem to be actively engaging with people.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

BillmasterCozb posted:

Joined a pubby that was doing Four Stores

I spawned, he was down on the ground, he says "meds" and fires a rocket at me. we failed.

poetry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Tulip posted:

Thanks for looking that up, that's pretty cool.

This is actually an approach the devs have begun using a lot for enemies that spawn when a door opens: the start of Lab Rats, the gate partway through the second floor of HM2, the escape in Undercover- all appear to pick a spawn from a specially defined weighted list.