Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Rand Brittain posted:

the story of how he threatened to sue a random field in the middle of Iceland.

I thought I was fairly up on GMS drama but I apparently hadn't heard of this episode. Please elaborate?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Lemniscate Blue posted:

I thought I was fairly up on GMS drama but I apparently hadn't heard of this episode. Please elaborate?

Okay, so what happened was, WieldsRulebookHeavily was posting pictures showing evidence of some of Zak S's misdeeds, and GMS showed up to call him a liar. WRH laughed at him for criticizing people while continuing to produce nothing for his Kickstarter. GMS called WRH a liar about this as well (on the grounds that he's produced incomplete chapters of the book, which isn't "nothing") and began threatening to sue WRH for libel.

Or, by "threatening to sue" I guess I mean "demanding an apology or you'll receive the notice from my lawyers tomorrow," while trying to phish for WRH's physical address, ultimately deciding that some address he found on Google (actually an empty field) would be good enough. It would be incredibly scummy and bullying behavior except for the fact that GMS clearly has no idea how the law works, because he would a) have absolutely no case and b) can't sue a guy in Iceland in an American court.

It was just kind of bizarre and weird because GMS obviously thought he looked serious and tough while he was making a fool of himself in front of all seventy people using G+.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord

jivjov posted:

My favorite GMS story is the part where he called out whichever goon it was that set up isfarwestoutyet.com

Yeah, he did a whois lookup and cross-referenced it with my twitter account, because I pretty much don't bother trying to hide my identity. Then he made a G+ thread posting about it.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

PST posted:

Modiphius seems to have run into the reality check of licensing for the Infinity RPG they kickstarted for £400k+, together with their initial claims implying how much work they'd already done be somewhat less than true. They're only a couple of months overdue at the moment, but their art and writing process seems to be crawling along, and there's been an implication that not everything for the main rulebook is written and not all the artwork is done.

Given their Conan release schedule is similarly ambitious, I'm expecting them to have a few wheels come off that one as well.

I didn't back Infinity or Conan, but I did back Mutant Chronicles and that timeline slipped enough that they had to extend the PDF subscription reward tiers by at least a year and still haven't delivered everything that funded AFAIK. I think they're finally rolling out the last books they promised in the Achtung Cthulhu Kickstarter, which is even older. So I would take their delivery estimates with sizable grains of salt.

On the other hand, they're definitely delivering them eventually, which is more than I can say for Far West. Or Alas, Vegas. Or Rosemount Bay. Or...

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.

malkav11 posted:

I didn't back Infinity or Conan, but I did back Mutant Chronicles and that timeline slipped enough that they had to extend the PDF subscription reward tiers by at least a year and still haven't delivered everything that funded AFAIK. I think they're finally rolling out the last books they promised in the Achtung Cthulhu Kickstarter, which is even older. So I would take their delivery estimates with sizable grains of salt.

On the other hand, they're definitely delivering them eventually, which is more than I can say for Far West. Or Alas, Vegas. Or Rosemount Bay. Or...

I think stuff will come out, albeit with Infinity given Corvus Belli's attention to detail for approvals (apparently a bunch of the art that Modiphius had ordered was bad, or not the right style for the line, for example) it's going to take a lot, lot longer than their original 9-10 months to have everything out.

Albeit, in Kickstarter terms anything releasing under a year late is looking pretty good in comparison to all the terrible examples throughout this thread.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Wick just posted a kinda sentimental last day update for 7th Sea.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

dwarf74 posted:

Wick just posted a kinda sentimental last day update for 7th Sea.

That was actually pretty sweet.

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

Ah right, super defensive turbonerd stuff. So he took the Siembieda torch and doubled down on running with it.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Think of it as tabletop version of D&D meets fallout meets Warhammer

quote:

About this project

I just the table top game that's a mix between D&D Fallout and Warhammer just need to get in contact with the thesda to see if they're willing to partner up when does you no makeup supplies and other stuff like that

Risks and challenges

Kidding Bethesda to partner with me

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

The THESDA

"Kidding Bethesda" is the most accurate part. Only $7k for a collectible figurine, and it's the only pledge level!

Edit: also instructive is the similar, but less coherent KS he's set up for a One Piece RPG.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

I don't see why his One Piece RPG didn't fund, the only challenge in that one is he needed to find someone else for "coating".

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
It's still got 54 days left. He's running them simultaneously like a winner.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Hello, Nicholas! Meet Rifts, I think you'll be good friends.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

homullus posted:

Edit: also instructive is the similar, but less coherent KS he's set up for a One Piece RPG.
I loving love how pledging $7000 gets you a One Piece poster.

Seriously, I just want to ruffle this kid's hair and tell him "get outta here, you scamp!"

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Scyther posted:

I don't see why his One Piece RPG didn't fund, the only challenge in that one is he needed to find someone else for "coating".

It took me 15 minutes to realize he meant CODING.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

homullus posted:

It took me 15 minutes to realize he meant CODING.

I never even got beyond trying to figure out what the gently caress this meant: "I just wanted to see an awesome one piece RPG just speed I thought it'd just be amazing and I want to bring that to the world"

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Agrias120 posted:

I never even got beyond trying to figure out what the gently caress this meant: "I just wanted to see an awesome one piece RPG just speed I thought it'd just be amazing and I want to bring that to the world"

To be fair, it's only a bit less coherent than:

Advert For the Real OP "RPG" posted:

Based on the One Piece series, Joygames` online game, One Piece Online, features fantastic fighting by employing the latest in web game technology. One Piece Online let you become a great pirate and lead your team to One Piece treasure!

"One Piece Online" is a large-scale horizontal tower defense ARPG browser game based on the “One Piece” manga series. The game used many of the lastest webgame technology to greatly enhance the game’s overall presentation. The partner system and unique tower defense ARPG gameplay matched with One Piece’s epic storyline both immerse player into the Great Age of Pirates.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Alien Rope Burn posted:

is a large-scale horizontal tower defense ARPG browser game based on the “One Piece” manga series.

There's no way that sentence wasn't automatically generated from a list of current buzzwords.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Agrias120 posted:

There's no way that sentence wasn't automatically generated from a list of current buzzwords.
If it was, it'd have "...meets Dark Souls" tagged on at the end.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

This game already exists, it's free, and it's called Fallout: Warfare.

Zero Karizma
Jul 8, 2004

It's ok now, just tell me what happened...
Just to update the Lil' Cthulhu kickstarter, Geekdad just did a pretty good review on it:

https://www.geekdad.com/2016/03/lil-cthulhu/

And here's the kickstarter link again.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Zero Karizma posted:

Just to update the Lil' Cthulhu kickstarter, Geekdad just did a pretty good review on it:

https://www.geekdad.com/2016/03/lil-cthulhu/

And here's the kickstarter link again.

So . . . . Exploding Kittens with additional screw you mechanics, and Cthulu?

Zero Karizma
Jul 8, 2004

It's ok now, just tell me what happened...
I guess so? It's a "Press Your Luck" type game, so there are bound to be similarities.

The part that I think is cool is the adjustable rules to make it more palatable for your non-boardgamer friends or kids.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer
I'm gonna just barge in here to promote my first ever Kickstarter with you Goons. I've made some traditional playing cards with goofy ink spot cats on them. I made a run of 10 of them already and they sold out pretty quickly so I thought I'd chance my arm with a Kickstarter project.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1671305805/ink-spot-cat-playing-cards

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
I have to bring this up to highlight something I think is dumb. Is this dumb? I think it's dumb.

There's this kickstarter for a new miniatures game with pretty good looking minis.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1466664258/blackrain-alphastrain/description

However, I did a cursory glance of the alpha rules and found this:

So they have to have a loving chart handy because atk - def + 5 is too difficult to remember? Nevermind that they could simplify the whole thing by using a D6 instead of a D10. What the poo poo

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
It looks like some guys were playing Infinity and didn't think it was anime enough for their tastes. Th effort, tables and stat line are straight from there. Also of note, never ever make your games title and subtitle rhyme. No one will ever take your project seriously.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

It looks like some guys were playing Infinity and didn't think it was anime enough for their tastes.

That's like, completely generic western sci-fi. It's Mass Effect stuff, not anime

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

signalnoise posted:

atk - def + 5 is too difficult to remember? Nevermind that they could simplify the whole thing by using a D6 instead of a D10.

Some people just must prefer charts. Avalon Hill's Titan (greatest boardgame ever) uses charts rather than the rules "range attack is half of melee" and "hit on 4+, adjust by skill difference, and 6 always hits".

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

signalnoise posted:

So they have to have a loving chart handy because atk - def + 5 is too difficult to remember? Nevermind that they could simplify the whole thing by using a D6 instead of a D10. What the poo poo

Warhams/40k has charts for to-hit/to-wound when they're really simple rules to remember without charts. Probably inspired this.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
"Look up the results in a chart" and "Translate the results via rules" I think has some underlying pedagogical issues.

That is, it's completely intuitive for a "wargamer" to do the former, and also completely intuitive for a ... TRPG player (?) to do the latter, and then you have human nature that gnaws at our lizard brains and tells us to reject the other one as being worse when we come face-to-face with it, just because it's different and we're used to the other way.

It's like the whole THAC0 debate.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

boom boom boom posted:

That's like, completely generic western sci-fi. It's Mass Effect stuff, not anime

Because it's not Gundam? Those models are a straight up mix of Metal Gear and Ghost in the Shell, most of the helmets even have a ver Evangelion feel to them.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
A translation of the French RPG Polaris is up on Kickstarter. If you go to the page today, you can get a link to the beta core rules on drivethrurpg, though that offer ends today. It looks pretty interesting.

As far as I can tell, it's a post apocalyptic RPG that takes place in the ocean after the surface world is destroyed and filled with mutants. It reminds me a lot of Blue Planet, which I'm a big fan of.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Because it's not Gundam? Those models are a straight up mix of Metal Gear and Ghost in the Shell, most of the helmets even have a ver Evangelion feel to them.

I see them as a mix between Grey Fox and dudes from Destiny

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Hiro Protagonist posted:

A translation of the French RPG Polaris is up on Kickstarter. If you go to the page today, you can get a link to the beta core rules on drivethrurpg, though that offer ends today. It looks pretty interesting.

As far as I can tell, it's a post apocalyptic RPG that takes place in the ocean after the surface world is destroyed and filled with mutants. It reminds me a lot of Blue Planet, which I'm a big fan of.

That setting looks rad

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Metal Gear isn't an anime (though you're right there's a GITS influence, especially with ALEPH, and ALEPH robots are basically tiny evangelions).

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

90 dollars for another d20 RPG with uninspired stretch goals

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Hiro Protagonist posted:

There's a name I haven't heard in a long time. Blue Planet was a really neat system to read, I scored most of the game back in the day when my FLGS was getting rid of stock that didn't sell on the cheap.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Liquid Communism posted:

There's a name I haven't heard in a long time. Blue Planet was a really neat system to read, I scored most of the game back in the day when my FLGS was getting rid of stock that didn't sell on the cheap.

Blue Planet's setting was and is amazing. Blue Planet's system was gently caress-awful.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Pretty much every system from that era was god awful even if the settings had good ideas. That's what happens when nobody bothers to really innovate design for over a decade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Well, that goes along with most of the RPGs in a given decade being derivative. But there were games the innovated system-wise, like Feng Shui or Over the Edge or Castle Falkenstein or Everway or Unknown Armies or SAGA or Ironclaw or Puppetland... and others I'm forgetting, I'm sure.

• Locked thread