Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
I'd like to grab the talking heads album for the only reason being that I'm a completionist and I don't have that one yet. But I imagine shipping to Canada and the exchange rate would make it not worthwhile so don't worry about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
I'll check how much it is to ship to Canada, PM me your postal code.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
It's stupid expensive to ship to Canada. You must be able to find that somewhere local. It was a very popular album.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer
Yeah of course, that's why I said forget about it

CitizenKrang
Jan 2, 2005
this town needs an enema
Any of you have experience with the Marantz Model 26? I'm on the verge of checking one out from craigslist but am concerned about it being loud enough. Even by 70s standards, 14 watts/channel seems kind of weak.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord
Is that Gramovox vertical turntable (http://www.gramovox.com/pages/floating-record) any good at all, or is it just a gimmick?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

inklesspen posted:

Is that Gramovox vertical turntable (http://www.gramovox.com/pages/floating-record) any good at all, or is it just a gimmick?

Why would you want a record player with built in speakers?

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer
$400 for that? lol get a debut carbon instead

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord

BigFactory posted:

Why would you want a record player with built in speakers?

you don't have to use the speakers; it has regular outputs as well. I like the visual look of it, so if it's decent as a turntable, i might get it.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

inklesspen posted:

At best, it's a thoroughly mediocre turntable, but it's far more likely to be a glorified lathe.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

inklesspen posted:

you don't have to use the speakers; it has regular outputs as well. I like the visual look of it, so if it's decent as a turntable, i might get it.

It's gonna be a mess. It just uses a spring to maintain tracking force.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Buglord
Yeah, I was afraid it would suck. Thanks for the sanity check.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

inklesspen posted:

Yeah, I was afraid it would suck. Thanks for the sanity check.

If you want a vertical tracker look up an old Sharp or Technics.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

BigFactory posted:

It's gonna be a mess. It just uses a spring to maintain tracking force.

KozmoNaut posted:

At best, it's a thoroughly mediocre turntable, but it's far more likely to be a glorified lathe.

I disagree. If the spring force applied to the tonearm is matched to the cartridge's ideal tracking weight, and they're not using the cheapest plastic parts or industrial-grade styli, à la $150 Crosleys, then there isn't really any reason to expect this to be poo poo at playback or dangerous for LPs beyond prejudice. The cartridge is a bog-standard AT95e, and the largely conventional tonearm is stabilized by a replaceable spring and gravity, which handles the anti-skate. In terms of fidelity/sound quality, moving parts/complexity/fragility, and physical wear on the record and stylus, there's no reason why this shouldn't be superior to vintage vertical trackers or portable/suitcase turntables.

I initially wanted to dismiss this project offhand as a glorified Crosley too but I honestly can't see anything horribly wrong with it. The built-in speakers aren't to my taste, but I can sort of understand the appeal for people looking for a compact and striking office or bedroom stereo.

Animale
Sep 30, 2009
I think the thing I hated more about the floating record player is that you have to screw the record in.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Animale posted:

I think the thing I hated more about the floating record player is that you have to screw the record in.

It's also left handed. Which I guess is a feature if you're left handed.

EgillSkallagrimsson
May 6, 2007
Just a heads up, I just listed a no reserve, $.99 starting price, auction on ebay for a really nice Pioneer SX-1080 if any goons are interested.

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
Where da new-in-box thrift store SX-1980s for $50 at? :P

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

pzy posted:

Where da new-in-box thrift store SX-1980s for $50 at? :P

I guess at a thrift store?

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
It's so obvious! Brb to check.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
I put my beautiful Bang & Olufsen up for sale :smith:

I love it so much, but I love money for food and rent even more.

ShotgunWillie
Aug 30, 2005

a sexy automaton -
powered by dark
oriental magic :roboluv:

evobatman posted:

I put my beautiful Bang & Olufsen up for sale :smith:

I love it so much, but I love money for food and rent even more.

Where?

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug

http://m.finn.no/bap/forsale/ad.html?finnkode=72741806

It's in Norway, so I don't really expect anyone in this thread to buy it, just to share my anguish over having to let it go.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

i have these ns10s. i connected them to my marantz 2270 and no sound comes out of the tweeters. at least i think there's no sound coming out of them. if there is, it's very, very faint. i recently had one of the speakers repaired because i thought the tweeter was broken, but now i'm thinking something's wrong with the receiver? but that doesn't make any sense because it powers my bookshelves fine.

do i need to put a massive power amp behind these ns10s or something? i felt like the marantz would be plenty...

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

Aren't the NS-10s legendary in how finicky they are?

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

yea, they take a lot of handholding from what i know

but yea, i'm at a loss for what to do next. maybe take them to a local shop and test them on another receiver? this is so weird. the one speaker was working fine when i first got them, now that tweeter doesn't work. and the speaker i took in for repair for this exact issue doesn't have a working tweeter. i've tried the marantz and old denon receiver i have too. maybe there is signal coming out and i'm just an idiot? they sound super mid-rangey and i was expecting mid-rangey with really, really high trebles. definitely no really, really high trebles. the one speaker did have really, really high trebles. now it doesn't

:confused:

abelwingnut fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Mar 19, 2016

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

My parents report they have a Panasonic turntable of mid 70s vintage that supposedly still works. Unfortunately it's in storage so I can't get a model # or anything.

Is there any chance at all it would be worthwhile as baby's first turntable rather than buying a new one?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Yes, quite possibly, if it just needs some cleaning and lubricant and maybe a new cheap cart or needle

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

the yeti posted:

My parents report they have a Panasonic turntable of mid 70s vintage that supposedly still works. Unfortunately it's in storage so I can't get a model # or anything.

Is there any chance at all it would be worthwhile as baby's first turntable rather than buying a new one?

Most likely, in fact.

Our general rule of thumb here is "go vintage if you can/want to". You generally get better build quality and components for the price and you really have to spend, like, $400 or more before you start to see modern tables that can match or exceed the quality of a solid vintage one.

You're comparing products from today's turntable market when vinyl is a niche hobby to products from when vinyl was the global standard for recorded music and all of our favorite electronics manufacturers specialized in making millions of turntables per year.

Depending on what table it is/how it was stored, it might need a new belt, needle/cartridge, or some fresh lube. Any of those are cheap as chips by comparison to a whole new TT and shouldn't disqualify a solid freebie if money is a concern.

E: fb, but you get the point

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Most likely, in fact.

Our general rule of thumb here is "go vintage if you can/want to". You generally get better build quality and components for the price and you really have to spend, like, $400 or more before you start to see modern tables that can match or exceed the quality of a solid vintage one.

You're comparing products from today's turntable market when vinyl is a niche hobby to products from when vinyl was the global standard for recorded music and all of our favorite electronics manufacturers specialized in making millions of turntables per year.

Depending on what table it is/how it was stored, it might need a new belt, needle/cartridge, or some fresh lube. Any of those are cheap as chips by comparison to a whole new TT and shouldn't disqualify a solid freebie if money is a concern.

E: fb, but you get the point

On the other hand, Panasonic branded stuff in the 70's (and beyond) was pretty crappy. The good stuff was Technics branded.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

BigFactory posted:

On the other hand, Panasonic branded stuff in the 70's (and beyond) was pretty crappy. The good stuff was Technics branded.

I went and asked because I was certain they had Technics equipment when I was a kid. Turns out I was thinking of their tape deck/CD changer :shobon:

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

the yeti posted:

I went and asked because I was certain they had Technics equipment when I was a kid. Turns out I was thinking of their tape deck/CD changer :shobon:

Panasonic's kinda garbo, but in your case, it's also free.

iSimian
Jan 19, 2008

Well, there's your problem!

evobatman posted:

http://m.finn.no/bap/forsale/ad.html?finnkode=72741806

It's in Norway, so I don't really expect anyone in this thread to buy it, just to share my anguish over having to let it go.

I actually live in your city, but sadly not on the lookout for more boxes. (Please buy my half defunct Primare DVD player)

Uansett, lykke til med salget!

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

BigFactory posted:

Panasonic's kinda garbo, but in your case, it's also free.

This is my thought, always great for babby's first table, and better than some Crosley poo poo that's going to gently caress up your records.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug

iSimian posted:

I actually live in your city, but sadly not on the lookout for more boxes. (Please buy my half defunct Primare DVD player)

Uansett, lykke til med salget!

I added a B&O MX 4000 CRT TV to this to play old video games, and I'm waiting for the link cables to integrate it all. It's kinda neat to have around 50 000 NOK in luxury entertainment electronics and not having spent 1000 yet on it all.

Stupid Dick
May 25, 2004

I found a pair of Bose 301 series ii from the early 80s at a local store that seem to be in excellent condition. Is there a general consensus on the quality of these speakers? I read some reviews online that were positive, but I was wondering if anyone here has had personal experience with them?

Going price is a bit much (~$200), but I wanted to see if it would even be worth my time before I try to haggle the price down.

Stupid Dick fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Mar 24, 2016

TooLShack
Jun 3, 2001

SMILE, BIRTHDAY BOY!

Stupid Dick posted:

I found a pair of Bose 301 series ii from the early 80s at a local store that seem to be in excellent condition. Is there a general consensus on the quality of these speakers? I read some reviews online that were positive, but I was wondering if anyone here has had personal experience with them?

Going price is a bit much (~$200), but I wanted to see if it would even be worth my time before I try to haggle the price down.

200 is pretty high for series II, series III are the ones that bring in the most money usually. I normally sell series II for around 125 when I get them. They have these stupid plastic pieces that tend of fall off and they just feel cheaper compared to the rest of the ones I've had.

Also you can find much better speakers in that price range anyways.

TooLShack fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Mar 24, 2016

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

TooLShack posted:

Also you can find much better speakers in that price range anyways.

I got a pair of HPM-900 in 8.5-9/10 condition with the original graphite woofer cones and a fresh refoam from a hoardercollector for $250 ~3 years ago.

Much better speakers indeed.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Not sure if this is the right place to ask but it is related. I picked up a 1/8" female to 1/4" male adapter from a hardware store, but it ended up introducing a LOT of noise. The fact the plug was crooked should've been a warning. Is there a reliable online source for non-poo poo cables and adapters that will ship to Canada? Anything I find on amazon has bad reviews too. I'm not needing anything ~audiophile~ grade, just non-poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer
Monoprice