Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

Libluini posted:

Not really, sometimes people are incredibly lazy and it's enough to come from an oblique angle.

Can confirm, and this is more and more true the further out you go. Even following the Distant Worlds route, more than 90% of my visited systems have never had another player visit logged in EDSM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
Europa trip report: Complete failure. Found a bunch of gold, tried to get it on space ship, ended up plummeting through planet and having to self destruct.

Make no landings there.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Your Loyal Vizier posted:

Can confirm, and this is more and more true the further out you go. Even following the Distant Worlds route, more than 90% of my visited systems have never had another player visit logged in EDSM

The best thing are systems with the sun tagged but a couple terraformables ignored right next to it. :allears:

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Libluini posted:

The best thing are systems with the sun tagged but a couple terraformables ignored right next to it. :allears:

I am that guy. :buddy:

I tag the sun while I'm scooping and scoping, but then I move on unless I see an ELW. Is there any way to tell which metallic or water worlds are terraformable without taking the time to scan them all?

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Surprise Giraffe posted:

Europa trip report: Complete failure. Found a bunch of gold, tried to get it on space ship, ended up plummeting through planet and having to self destruct.

Make no landings there.

Curious, have you or anyone having trouble with the planet terrain loading fiddled with the GPU Terrain Generation slider under the graphics setting a bit? Maybe give the GPU some more of the process to keep the planet from "Popping in" terrain so slowly?

I had a problem with this in the beta, but seemed to not have any issues since 2.0 launched.

Also can someone who plays in VR explain to me why the hell in System View, if I go to a planet that can be surface scanned, it automatically pulls me into a useless blue technical view of the planet that I have to fight to zoom back out and browse the actual planet or others in the system map? Why it forces a zoom in without me requesting or zooming in on it myself is irritating as hell in VR.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

EdEddnEddy posted:

Also can someone who plays in VR explain to me why the hell in System View, if I go to a planet that can be surface scanned, it automatically pulls me into a useless blue technical view of the planet that I have to fight to zoom back out and browse the actual planet or others in the system map? Why it forces a zoom in without me requesting or zooming in on it myself is irritating as hell in VR.

I'm pretty sure I saw this on the list of known bugs. Really annoying, too.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

That zoomed view of a useless blue orb is annoying no matter what view mode you're in. I click into it sometimes on accident, and for some reason hitting UI back backs out of the whole map, not just that screen.

Why does that screen even exist? It's always a useless blue orb, there's zero info there

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

If it had a surface map of the planet it'd be cool, but right now its completely pointless.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Sell all that garbage, buy a diamondback scout, and shoot bad mans in the RES nearest you. When you get bored (which will take a while because the DBS is the best), take your winnings, fit a cobra for smuggling, and make mad money doing smuggling missions out of Robigo. Then buy an asp and do literally anything with it because it's the best Mary Sue ship. Smuggle, explore, be an attack helicopter and blow up surface bases, cover it with rails and do space murder, anything but Power Play

I'll try it, thanks. I bought the DBS last night at... somenumber Tauri, but couldn't remember how to find a good place for fits and it was late. So I went out anyway, with two C2 miniguns and two C1 pulses, and promptly overpowered the system and shut down life support, shields, and thrusters when I opened the hardpoints, and got killed horribly :saddowns:

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

That zoomed view of a useless blue orb is annoying no matter what view mode you're in. I click into it sometimes on accident, and for some reason hitting UI back backs out of the whole map, not just that screen.

Why does that screen even exist? It's always a useless blue orb, there's zero info there

It shows surface bases, if there are any. It's just another annoying extra click to be able to target a planetary outpost, though.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Anybody have some good keybindings they like for the Thrustmaster T flight hotas?

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich
So, what the hell? I bought this game, redeemed the key on the website while logged into my account, and when I try to log into the game via the launcher it tells me "Please purchase/redeem Elite Dangerous to continue" even though that's what I just did. It's in my steam account and everything. When I try to re-register it with my account, it tells me the key is already in use.

Did they just steal my money? I can't play and the launcher is telling me I didn't buy it even though I clearly loving did.

edit: got it to work, I guess. Apparently you need to log in through steam through their website before it believes that you bought the game. How dumb.

Daily Forecast fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Mar 17, 2016

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ciaphas posted:

I'll try it, thanks. I bought the DBS last night at... somenumber Tauri, but couldn't remember how to find a good place for fits and it was late. So I went out anyway, with two C2 miniguns and two C1 pulses, and promptly overpowered the system and shut down life support, shields, and thrusters when I opened the hardpoints, and got killed horribly :saddowns:

Haha, we've all done this at least once. The DBS is actually gifted with a serious surplus of power imo, so you should be able to fix this by just placing your frame shift drive, fuel scoop, and any other non-essentials in a secondary power group so that when things overload, they power down first (this happens in reverse 1-5 order).

If that's still not enough to run your weapons, post your fit here using coriolis.io and we'll help

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Ciaphas posted:

Silly questions for power problems.

How many shield boosters do you have. A grade Shield boosters are 1.20 power, each. For some comparisons, that's more than a Medium Plasma Accelerator needs.

Also, what grade are your Sensors. Those are always a case of "Why does this drain that much more power for what it does!?"

For example, For a DBS's life support, going from D to A is an increase of 0.14 power.
Upgrading a DBS Frameshift drive from D to A, is an increase of 0.18
A DBS Sensors, going from D to A is an increase of 0.48 power.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Haha, we've all done this at least once. The DBS is actually gifted with a serious surplus of power imo, so you should be able to fix this by just placing your frame shift drive, fuel scoop, and any other non-essentials in a secondary power group so that when things overload, they power down first (this happens in reverse 1-5 order).

If that's still not enough to run your weapons, post your fit here using coriolis.io and we'll help

Thanks, I totally forgot you could reprioritize modules. I put the cargo scoop and FSD on 2, everything else on 1, and nailed 99% power usage. Had a gay olde time in a low intensity conflict zone for half an hour, while Battlefleet Gothic: Armada downloaded :v:

Minigunning a dropship's power plant so that it's dead in the water with 80% hull left, turning it into a turkey shoot for the dozens of other NPCs on your side, is an amusing lightshow!

Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

Thats three of ours innit...to one of yours. You know mate I really think we ought to even up the average!

I am that guy. :buddy:

I tag the sun while I'm scooping and scoping, but then I move on unless I see an ELW. Is there any way to tell which metallic or water worlds are terraformable without taking the time to scan them all?

Terraformable worlds only appear within a certain radius of the sun, depending on class of star, you can avoid most snowballs far out and planets close to the sun, especially if hotter than K class. Most of the terraformables I have encountered have not been landable
The exception are Ammonia worlds, which tend to be far out.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I am in no way an experienced explorer but it makes sense to me that terraformable worlds would need a sun of suitable mass too. I would probably skip brown dwarves, etc if that's what you're after.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

DancingShade posted:

I am in no way an experienced explorer but it makes sense to me that terraformable worlds would need a sun of suitable mass too. I would probably skip brown dwarves, etc if that's what you're after.

Yes. The common rule of thumb is to go for F, G, and K-stars — M being possible, but a lot less common host for both terraformables and earthlikes (but they make up for it in number so you'll still come across a fair few of them). Any earlier sequence than that, and they're very likely to be too hot and too young to have formed the right type of planets.

Even if they're old enough, you have to look a lot farther out in systems that will already be very spread-out. It's not a huge obstacle, but it means a lot of scooting around in FSD to scan potential planets, which obviously slows you down if you're trying to find a lot of them.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Also I feel really late to the party in saying this but I love the FAS. Even more so than the FDL, Python, Vulture, etc.

Sure the shields are crap but you can hull tank like no tomorrow and you have enough maneuverability against NPC commanders that your shields will probably stay up anyway. Great ship, I regret skipping over it on my way to other ones.

Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

Thats three of ours innit...to one of yours. You know mate I really think we ought to even up the average!

Tippis posted:

Yes. The common rule of thumb is to go for F, G, and K-stars — M being possible, but a lot less common host for both terraformables and earthlikes (but they make up for it in number so you'll still come across a fair few of them). Any earlier sequence than that, and they're very likely to be too hot and too young to have formed the right type of planets.

Even if they're old enough, you have to look a lot farther out in systems that will already be very spread-out. It's not a huge obstacle, but it means a lot of scooting around in FSD to scan potential planets, which obviously slows you down if you're trying to find a lot of them.

I just use the system map to check the planets. Each type of world has a distinctive sound, waterworlds bubble and Earthlikes contain birdsong.
I've grown pretty good at choosing planets to go for via the map, though I no doubt miss some.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

The FAS is awesome. It dances like a ballerina, has a class 6 distributor and enough power to run whatever the gently caress you want.

Even better, you can fully A fit one for about 60 million.

edit: it also has a jump range that won't make you want to kill yourself, unlike the FDL.

tooterfish fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Mar 17, 2016

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Tippis posted:

I know this is the common parlance, but it has not been my experience. I have found the most WWs, TCs, and all of my unscanned ELWs around neutron stars or brown dwarfs of all loving things...and usually way outside the habitable zone.

Truthfully, if you are exploring to make money instead of just scanning everything, I feel like you are doing it wrong. Explorers are a cross between a space-goose and some kind of dog: flying through space honking at every star, pissing their name all over the galaxy.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

I concur. I'm also surprised at how many people listen for birdsong or whatever to detect ELW. I've never heard any of these mystical noises, but in my experience earth-likes are extremely easy to find by just looking at the system map. Every one I've found has had very visible oceans, land masses, and cloud cover. Very earth like. Anything with just blue underneath the cloud cover has been a water world, etc. I asked about terraformables because they're a variation that gives no visual cues, but it seems like everything else you can just see on the map

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Humans should be able to terraform any water based planet into a toxic waste dump filled with used condoms and medical waste pretty quickly I would imagine.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

I concur. I'm also surprised at how many people listen for birdsong or whatever to detect ELW. I've never heard any of these mystical noises, but in my experience earth-likes are extremely easy to find by just looking at the system map. Every one I've found has had very visible oceans, land masses, and cloud cover. Very earth like. Anything with just blue underneath the cloud cover has been a water world, etc. I asked about terraformables because they're a variation that gives no visual cues, but it seems like everything else you can just see on the map

Yeah, the only bird song noises I've heard on the map are the ones that the interface makes every time a new object is selected. And yes, it's far easier to just spot them visually. There may be some overlap between pure water worlds and ELWs on one extreme, and ELWs and terraformable metal worlds with some random water on the other, but since all three are worth scanning, it's not like you're missing out if you accidentally guess one wrong.

Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

Some waterworlds look just like Terrestrials to me, though I have noticed that Earthlikes are a more vivid blue.
All my Earthlikes have been found around Gs and Fs, apparently astrobiologists believe K class stars are the most suited stars to find complex life around.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

Earthlikes have a very distinct look to them in the map that you can easily pick out once you've seen enough. While water worlds are usually pure water with clouds, Earthlikes have green and brown land too, and the water is a slightly different blue color.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Luneshot posted:

Earthlikes have a very distinct look to them in the map that you can easily pick out once you've seen enough. While water worlds are usually pure water with clouds, Earthlikes have green and brown land too, and the water is a slightly different blue color.

Terrestrial Ammonia-worlds are the same, basically. Just replace everything not-brown in your description with a shade of brown and there you have it. Sometimes I think you can see something like vomit-green, too.

Well, there was a really exotic one that was more reddish-brown. But still mostly poo poo colored.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Rotten Cookies posted:

Anybody have some good keybindings they like for the Thrustmaster T flight hotas?

I used this as starter

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

Daztek posted:

I used this as starter

That diagram is super useful. I just bought one of these the other day and am still working out the control setup. I'm also looking into Voice Attack which seems like a super useful thing, especially with VR, where you don't want to constantly be taking off the headset to press keyboard buttons that don't map to your hotas.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Hamelekim posted:

That diagram is super useful. I just bought one of these the other day and am still working out the control setup. I'm also looking into Voice Attack which seems like a super useful thing, especially with VR, where you don't want to constantly be taking off the headset to press keyboard buttons that don't map to your hotas.

Don't look into Voice Attack. Look into what is built into your OS instead. It's ridiculous that they manage to charge money for something that's already built into the OS (unless you're on XP, in which case you should look into upgrading that instead).

Tippis fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Mar 17, 2016

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Anyone have a similar diagram for their warthog setup?

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Daztek posted:

I used this as starter

Hey, thanks for posting this. I appreciate it

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Tippis posted:

Don't look into Voice Attack. Look into what is built into your OS instead. It's ridiculous that they manage to charge money for something that's already built into the OS (unless you're on XP, in which case you should look into upgrading that instead).

Do you used the built-in not Voice Attack or whatever? How do you find it compared to what they're offering?

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Voice Attack uses the Microsoft Speech API. The vast majority of voice recognition software also use this API, so they're all exactly the same as far as recognition is concerned.

Personally, I used FreePIE to do voice commands. Worked great, although to be honest I found it more of a novelty than anything. It didn't really improve my game, and in some cases hindered it (doing power management in combat by screaming at your monitor gets old fast), so I eventually stopped using it.

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even
jeff goldblum could save me from this nightmare

Tippis posted:

the draw of VA is the voice packs not the spoken commands. go look at KICS 4 or the HCS voice packs and then show me how to do that natively.

i'm not a staunch VA supporter or anything, but i bought it for utilizing voice packs along with the voice commands.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Sundowner posted:

the draw of VA is the voice packs not the spoken commands. go look at KICS 4 or the HCS voice packs and then show me how to do that natively.
No idea, but that's mainly because that's a bunch of insanely intrusive nonsense that I'd disable instantly. Ugh.

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even
jeff goldblum could save me from this nightmare

Tippis posted:

No idea, but that's mainly because that's a bunch of insanely intrusive nonsense that I'd disable instantly. Ugh.

i do think VA is more straight forward than figuring out how to do it in windows (just in terms of programming commands) but i think most people get it because of the voice profiles. i mean the HCS guys got the voice actor for Elite's ship computer to do a pretty damned extensive voice pack so it actually syncs pretty naturally with the game anyway.

also calling it intrusive is like buying a live bee house for your living room and complaining about the bees everywhere.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Sundowner posted:

also calling it intrusive is like buying a live bee house for your living room and complaining about the bees everywhere.

There's a reason (well, two — the other one is that the voice input portion is pointless) I don't buy it. :shrug:
Hell, I turn most of that noise off in any game that offers it natively as well, so buying more of it isn't exactly high on my list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaardvark
Apr 28, 2015

Ceci n'est pas un GIF.

tooterfish posted:

Personally, I used FreePIE to do voice commands. Worked great, although to be honest I found it more of a novelty than anything. It didn't really improve my game, and in some cases hindered it (doing power management in combat by screaming at your monitor gets old fast), so I eventually stopped using it.

On the topic of auxilliary controls, I came to the same conclusion about Power Grid: free software that will allow you to set up an external tablet / phone / whatever as a touch-screen button panel (think Star Trek). The novelty wore off fast, and now I don't bother.

• Locked thread