Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
The best Bioshock game is Arcadia Demade. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Don't current-gen consoles still technically render at 720p, just like the last gen? These "HD remakes" of games from like the PS3 are amusing. I guess it's mainly a pedantic complaint, since jumping to 60fps can certainly be a worthwhile improvement.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Minidust posted:

Don't current-gen consoles still technically render at 720p, just like the last gen? These "HD remakes" of games from like the PS3 are amusing. I guess it's mainly a pedantic complaint, since jumping to 60fps can certainly be a worthwhile improvement.

Most PS4 games are 1920x1080 and both systems output to 1080p after scaling. Up-ports generally get a native resolution of 1080p and doubled framerate, like Last of Us, Uncharted, or Tomb Raider, so I'd expect Bioshock to get the same treatment.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The hot new thing to do is dynamic resolution, where the game will switch to a smaller framebuffer for expensive scenes and go back to native 1080p for cheap ones. You also see the occasional 900p pipeline with upscaling. Both of these are more common on Xbox One (because wrong ram lmao). Virtually all last-gen ports are a solid 1080p60 at all times, though.

ArcturusDeluxe
May 15, 2006

To be honest I love the idea that games are being remastered in general, even ones from the last generation, and even if there ultimately isn't much of an improvement technologically. I just see it like your favourite films coming out on Blu-ray or whatever. I think it's pretty important that games are remembered and preserved and stuff too, so it helps when they get ported to newer platforms so more people can enjoy (or not enjoy) them.

For the record, I like all three Bioshocks, I think they're all pretty great. I know its not very internet cool to like things, but eh.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
It's also low effort since it's probably not exactly a lot of work to recompile a UE3 game to a more modern version number.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Thyrork posted:

I've always thought Bioshock 2 was a solid game that stood up on its own merits and should have been what 1 and Infinite wanted to be.

I... think I'm in the minority on this. :sigh:

2 was good but it didn't have the perfect little bottle story that 1 did. Although the DLC Minerva's Den DID have a perfect contained satisfying bottle story and is some of the best DLC ever made.

Infinite is really good too. All the shocks are good, both system and bio and infinite.

Lemon-Lime posted:

Bioshock 2 is definitely the best Bioshock game (it's the only good one). It makes much better use of the setting than Bioshock 1, it's a better FPS, it's got more interesting characters, and it's doesn't pretend to be a deep and intelligent critique of Ayn Rand.

Infinite is garbage with bad level design and a laughably terrible plot/story.

Maybe you weren't paying attention, but Bioshock 2 had just as much social commentary on psychology and philosophy as 1 did. It was meant to be a perfect foil to 1.

So no, it wasn't a critique of Ayn Rand... it was a critique of critiques of Ayn Rand. :v: Bioshock 2 is a criticism of conformism and collectivism and communism while Bioshock 1 was a criticism of individuality and objectivism.

Its definitely a major part of all the themes and even the level design of Bioshock 2. You were asleep or something if you missed that.

Lemon-Lime posted:

I'd be surprised if anyone at all thinks Infinite's writing was any good. It's genuinely some of the worst in a AAA game in recent years, especially the DLC. :v:

It may not have been Shakespeare but it was way more entertaining than most games I've played. And honestly what games don't have really horribly hammy writing? VERY, VERY few.

Minidust posted:

Yes, but that's because they're more advanced. If you port a last-gen game then you can make it true 1080p.

And some ps4 games are true 1080p, its just lots of the fancy FPS that try to push things end up doing dynamic resolution to keep the frame rate stable.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Mar 17, 2016

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Daily Doom Dispatch: I've beaten the first two episodes of Doom 2, and also the first city one. Man, the level design is a lot different than it was in the first game; a lot more wide open spaces and a greater willingness to throw hordes of high level demons at you. I can understand why people prefer the first game's maps, but playing the two back to back makes me welcome the change. Plus I can finally say from first-hand experience: gently caress Arch-Viles.

Anyway, something interesting has happened since I've started playing the Doom games. I've really started to notice level design. RTCW and Half Life were the first shooters I really got into and the most memorable parts of those games' maps were due to scripting, visuals, narrative, or varied gameplay elements. In something as simple as Doom, where combat is everything, the way maps are laid out and the placement of enemies is vital in a way later games could afford to neglect in favour of spectacle.

tl;dr: A MOOD HOUSE?!

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
there are episodes in doom 2?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Vikar Jerome posted:

Close enough. There's the starport, Hell's outpost, the city, and Hell 2: demonic boogaloo. They're separated by text blurbs but the entire game is continuous.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Vikar Jerome posted:

From older versions of SETUP.EXE:

MAP01-MAP11: The Space Station
MAP12-MAP20: The City
MAP21-MAP30: Hell

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

and No Rest For The Living :unsmigghh:

In other news, final version of Japanese Doom Community Project is coming!

endboss pic made by Nanka Kurashiki, of course

laserghost fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Mar 17, 2016

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

laserghost posted:

Another entry for doomguy's murder-bucket list.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

laserghost posted:

That picture is rad as gently caress :black101:

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Congrats to Term for somehow getting 47 maps for his dump

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

laserghost posted:

I just beat No Rest For the Living. Loved it - adding a new episode to Doom II is stepping into some pretty big shoes, but Nerve knocked it out of the park. March of the Demons, the secret level, is particularly awesome. Even the guys with super high standards at Doomworld dug it.

I've been trying to complete all the commercially released WADs, and I just have Final Doom left to go. Frankly the talk of its difficulty and the prospect of slogging through 64 levels is putting me off a bit. Are TNT and Plutonia worth playing through?

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Mr. Flunchy posted:

I've been trying to complete all the commercially released WADs, and I just have Final Doom left to go. Frankly the talk of its difficulty and the prospect of slogging through 64 levels is putting me off a bit. Are TNT and Plutonia worth playing through?
Yes. Though I prefer to think of it less as "64 maps" and more as "two more IWADs well heck yes".

Although TNT MAP31 has a bug in it where the Yellow Key is marked as MP-only so you can't progress. I believe ZDoom automatically fixes this, but other source ports will need a patch WAD to fix this oversight.

Generally speaking, Plutonia is the more-fondly-remembered of the two, but it's also by far the hardest of the IWADs. Still really enjoyed it, though.

And when you're done with that, play Perdition's Gate, the lost "third half" of Final Doom.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Mr. Flunchy posted:

I just beat No Rest For the Living. Loved it - adding a new episode to Doom II is stepping into some pretty big shoes, but Nerve knocked it out of the park. March of the Demons, the secret level, is particularly awesome. Even the guys with super high standards at Doomworld dug it.

Yes, but prepare to have your poo poo wrecked multiple times.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Plutonia is the hard one, but it's also a much better quality. TNT is pretty lousy, but has a few good levels.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Mr. Flunchy posted:

i'm doing this too but i ended up getting sucked into the "Doom the way ID did" wads. about half way through episode 3 now and it's been loving great but I'm debating trying out psx doom too

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Shadow Hog posted:

Although TNT MAP31 has a bug in it where the Yellow Key is marked as MP-only so you can't progress.

Not the GOG version! :science:

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

Shadow Hog posted:

THEY'RE STILL COMING IN

HELP

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

TerminusEst13 posted:

THEY'RE STILL COMING IN

HELP

I'm still trying to decide whether or not my map's actually gonna be finished this week. It's turning out a bit more complex than I thought it was going to be. Doesn't help that I'm a little burned out on Doom this week.

NuclearPotato fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Mar 17, 2016

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

laserghost posted:

Holy poo poo, I love this :love:

Shadow Hog posted:

TerminusEst13 posted:

THEY'RE STILL COMING IN

HELP

Oof. Get some fiber.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Cat Mattress posted:

Not the GOG version! :science:

Yeah, bizarrely the only official release with a fix was a particular iteration of the id Anthology, which is otherwise completely identical to the other versions. The GOG release uses this version.

That said, I think Team TNT released a patch for other versions of the IWAD (which weren't included with the Steam versions for... reasons)

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Man, I remember mostly enjoying the game of Bioshock Infinite, but it wasn't that great, and the story was pretty bad, especially once it hit that twist. Thinking about it now, the only thing I can point out as being really into with the game is the modern music done in an old-timey way. I love that. Really, Shadow Warrior was the better game. Infinite had some big ideas and scope, but it lived and died on the personal story, but it just didn't do it justice. Meanwhile, Shadow Warrior had a more basic story, but it was done well, and had more heart than I think anyone expected.

Also, Undying does the gun in one hand, magic in the other much better than Bioshock Infinite, it's actually a little embarrassing.

laserghost posted:

I'm intrigued, and that looks great.

Dukka
Apr 28, 2007

lock teams or bust

TerminusEst13 posted:

THEY'RE STILL COMING IN

HELP
negative, it's your own drat grave

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I remember liking the end to infinite just cuz I'm into crazy sci-fi poo poo, but I literally can't think of a single part of that game other than the end so it must have been pretty bleh.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I enjoyed Bioshock Infinite for the relationship between Booker and Elizabeth and its metatextual elements but the actual story was garbo as gently caress and the gameplay was middling, though I never liked the first game's combat either. Still worth the :10bux: I paid for it, though.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

catlord posted:

Man, I remember mostly enjoying the game of Bioshock Infinite, but it wasn't that great, and the story was pretty bad, especially once it hit that twist. Thinking about it now, the only thing I can point out as being really into with the game is the modern music done in an old-timey way. I love that. Really, Shadow Warrior was the better game. Infinite had some big ideas and scope, but it lived and died on the personal story, but it just didn't do it justice. Meanwhile, Shadow Warrior had a more basic story, but it was done well, and had more heart than I think anyone expected.

The twist in Bioshock happened halfway through but it was pretty good, while the twist in Infinite happened literally as the end credits were about to start rolling. "once it hit that twist" the game was over, don't really understand this complaint.

Infinite's story like Bioshock's was all about the details and the things that happened before you showed up. The actual story was just "go here, then go there" but SO WAS BIOSHOCK 1, and for that matter System Shock as well (and it had a big twist too, don't forget).

I really don't get all the Infinite hate in this thread.

If you played any of the shock games without digging into the notes and audio recordings, I don't even know what to say to you. Of course the story seemed bad if you skipped it. :v:

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Zaphod42 posted:

The twist in Bioshock happened halfway through but it was pretty good, while the twist in Infinite happened literally as the end credits were about to start rolling. "once it hit that twist" the game was over, don't really understand this complaint.

Infinite's story like Bioshock's was all about the details and the things that happened before you showed up. The actual story was just "go here, then go there" but SO WAS BIOSHOCK 1, and for that matter System Shock as well (and it had a big twist too, don't forget).

I really don't get all the Infinite hate in this thread.

If you played any of the shock games without digging into the notes and audio recordings, I don't even know what to say to you. Of course the story seemed bad if you skipped it. :v:

I think he meant the twist where they go maybe black revolutionaries are actually just as bad as slavers half way through.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

site posted:

I think he meant the twist where they go maybe black revolutionaries are actually just as bad as slavers half way through.

I think he meant the twist that there are parallel universes involved, but yeah, that's a sour note right there.

The difference between 1 and Infinite is that 1 has a carefully crafted synergy between its gameplay, plot, setting, and themes, while Infinite is sort of thrown together from elements that succeeded in the past without any work to integrate them and make them support each other. It feels thin and pointless by comparison.

haveblue fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Mar 17, 2016

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

the best part was how the DLC retconned it so that the vox pop lady actually was ordered to kill the little kid ~~~for the greater good~~~ so that disney princess could unlock her potential or whatever

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

site posted:

That was never remotely stated though. And it wasn't even a twist.

They did jump into an alternate universe where the revolutionaries had completely taken over and things weren't peachy keen, but that hardly means they're just as "bad".

The entire point of the bioshock games, 1, 2, and infinite, the major theme, is that any one pervasive philosophy taken to extremes is bad. All things in moderation.

haveblue posted:

The difference between 1 and Infinite is that 1 has a carefully crafted synergy between its gameplay, plot, setting, and themes, while Infinite is sort of thrown together from elements that succeeded in the past without any work to integrate them and make them support each other. It feels thin and pointless by comparison.

I strongly disagree. The difference between 1 and Infinite is that 1 was new and fresh and nobody expected much of it, while Infinite got delayed and hyped and had massive expectations.

They're both good games with equally good themes, people just prefer one to the other because they'd already played bioshock 1 and experienced much of the same ideas.

I could argue bioshock 1 is just as thin and pointless. If you buy into its narrative, it isn't, if you want to rip it apart, it is. True of the entire series, even system shock.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Mar 17, 2016

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Oh, OK, so only a moderate amount of slavery.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

That was never remotely stated though. And it wasn't even a twist.

They did jump into an alternate universe where the revolutionaries had completely taken over and things weren't peachy keen, but that hardly means they're just as "bad".

Are you for real?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I mean, with 1, you could take any element of it and find some other element it tied into. The magic powers were discovered at the bottom of the sea, developed by the unethical scientists who had been attracted by Ryan's culture of individualism, given to the population through the laissez-faire market, and then it turned out they drove people crazy and that it might not have been a good idea to give a bunch of hardcore libertarians the ability to set each other on fire with their minds, which is why the city fell. Why are there plasmids in Infinite? What do they have to do with American founder-worship? You find the first one in a carnival game and they seem to have had absolutely no effect on the city's culture the way plasmids did on Rapture. Unless there's a whole lot of backstory I've forgotten, they exist because magic powers are part of shock-style combat and thus the game had to have them.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

haveblue posted:

I mean, with 1, you could take any element of it and find some other element it tied into. The magic powers were discovered at the bottom of the sea, developed by the unethical scientists who had been attracted by Ryan's culture of individualism, given to the population through the laissez-faire market, and then it turned out they drove people crazy and that it might not have been a good idea to give a bunch of hardcore libertarians the ability to set each other on fire with their minds, which is why the city fell. Why are there plasmids in Infinite? What do they have to do with American founder-worship? You find the first one in a carnival game and they seem to have had absolutely no effect on the city's culture the way plasmids did on Rapture. Unless there's a whole lot of backstory I've forgotten, they exist because magic powers are part of shock-style combat and thus the game had to have them.

From what I remember, the Tonics in Infinite literally were the Plasmids in 1 thanks to timedimension-travel.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Infinite didn't know what it wanted to be about. There were three different plots all intersecting at once and it didn't do any of them well. It wanted to do a study of American Exceptionalism except it had nothing meaningful to say about it besides "racism is bad" and the depictions of racism were stupidly cartoonish and nothing like the real horror of racist ideologies. It wanted to be a personal story about a father and daughter yet it failed miserably at that too since Elizabeth is an idiot who doesn't even know what the stakes are and Booker is a completely unlikable character in pretty much every universe. It also wanted to tell a story about quantum mechanics and parallel universes but it gets bogged down to the point that the game has to end with a Deus Ex Machina to resolve all the dangling plot threats which kind of falls apart when you start thinking about it after the game is over.

Bioshock 2 also didn't do a great job of critiquing the critiques of the first game, but it was redeemed with a much tighter main story about family to the point that Alpha's actions in the game determine how Eleanor acts at the end. It wasn't the sequel people wanted or expected to the first game, but it was still a great game on its own merits.

haveblue posted:

The DLC explains that, basically Tonics are knock-off Plasmids because they opened up a dimension where Rapture exists and stole the technology there. The DLC is also significantly worse than the main game of Infinite, if you always wanted to see Fontaine give Elizabeth a lobotomy then the DLC is for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Mr. Fortitude posted:

The DLC explains that, basically Vigors are knock-off Plasmids because they opened up a dimension where Rapture exists and stole the technology there. The DLC is also significantly worse than the main game of Infinite, if you always wanted to see Fontaine give Elizabeth a lobotomy then the DLC is for you.

I had heard that about the DLCs, which is why I never played them, and I don't want to see that, so I never will. Thanks!