Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
Does Jello still use real gelatin at this point? I'd have to check the packaging, I assumed they went to agar a while ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!

DrBouvenstein posted:

I've got an appointment soon with an ENT with hopes he'll agree to yank mine out.

Frequent sore throats and infections, anyways irritated, and (TMI) lots of tonsil stones... :(

I'm 33, so I know recovery will be hell, but I've got a poo poo ton of sick days, love popsicles, and got a pile of PS4 games to burn through.

Yeah, it loving sucks. Ask for lots of pain meds. I was basically high on lortab for 2 weeks while I recovered.

Krypt-OOO-Nite!!
Oct 25, 2010

88h88 posted:

As someone who used to work for Halfords many moons ago, some of the Apollo range are actually fairly decent bikes. Back when I was there, the Apollo Gradient was a drat fine bike for the money, fully rigid, weirdo looking frame but the parts that hung off it were actually solid, worked well and didn't need to be adjusted every other week unlike some other bikes.

Also Halfords gets points for naming a bike 'Apollo Creed' which is a joke nobody ever got...

If stuff goes wrong with it, take it straight back to the shop and they'll look it over. There were a few spot buy bikes we got in that were outright garbage, dangerous bags of poo poo that I refused to sell. The Excel that used to be a big seller (blue y-frame full suspension thing) went from being produced in the far East to Poland and when that happened, quality dropped dramatically, particularly in terms of braking, a fairly important aspect of bike safety. I took to doing warranty repairs on those and fitting £30 Shimano v-brake sets, decent ones, until the manager took note that the ones fitted from the factory were utter shite. So please take it back if poo poo starts to go wrong, don't kick up too much of a fuss but know that your bike should work and not need constant fettling to keep it sweet.

I only have hate for Apollo bikes because I had one when I was 12 and within a month part of the frame just chipped off and I had to wait three months until my dad brought me another.

But good post dude and the bike is actually not bad, I hadn't accounted for how hilly the route would be and it holds up well.
Plus there's no better feeling than riding past all work colleges while their stuck in traffic and it's much nicer to spend half of my way home riding through the common than being annoyed by traffic.

kreyla
Dec 31, 2008

kreyla has a new favorite as of 22:46 on Mar 16, 2016

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Hrvstmn31 posted:

One of these fancy doodads they were on sale for 120$ for the gently caress you ads version.

Same, stoked to get it.

Also some of that True Lemon stuff. Y'all are a bad influence.

Smashurbanipal
Sep 12, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT BEING A SHITTY POSTER

big mean giraffe posted:

So you paid a huge markup for tomato juice and seasonings you could have mixed yourself?

With zero regrets.

Framptonlive
Nov 22, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Corsair Carbide 100r

2x4gb ram kit

Pretty boring stuff but it's the last two parts I needed for my first PC so I'm excited.

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.

Defghanistan posted:

ugh god no, get out

Content: I paid a lot of money to have a very young man remove two GIGANTIC lumps of tissue from the back of my throat and now all I can eat is popsicles and sherbet.
Not sher-BERT, mind you, but sherbet.

DrBouvenstein posted:

I've got an appointment soon with an ENT with hopes he'll agree to yank mine out.

Frequent sore throats and infections, anyways irritated, and (TMI) lots of tonsil stones... :(

I'm 33, so I know recovery will be hell, but I've got a poo poo ton of sick days, love popsicles, and got a pile of PS4 games to burn through.

Butter croissants and baked potatoes were a godsend when I had mine out. My ENT told me that jello was fine but slightly more solid foods were better because they 'cleaned' the tissue and the chewing would help with the pain. Also don't make the same mistake I did on the first day you feel relatively okay, and try and eat a jalapeno pizza.

Content, I finally bought a new phone. A second hand galaxy S6, pretty much unused for £200.

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

I just put money in the Magic Fingers!

This is the best stuff. Anything McClure's makes is top notch.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

Except mine is a very pale gold. Yay diesel!

colas
Feb 14, 2007

Scathach posted:

Are 80's BMW/Mercs money pits or? I mean if you're not a mechanic or DIY'er.

colas has a new favorite as of 04:23 on Mar 17, 2016

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

colas posted:

Are 80's BMW/Mercs money pits or? I mean if you're not a mechanic or DIY'er

The Mercedes diesels run for loving ever. My grandpa has had eleven of them in his life and they all were apparently running great when he sold them after about 450K miles. This one runs and drives like a new car and it has 217K on it, but as long as I'm not a shithead with maintenance it should still be going a damned long time from now. Diesels are pretty tough and the thing is built like a tank... as far as BMWs, they're supposed to be some of the easiest cars for home maintenance and also said to run a good long time without a massive money sink-- the old VW Bugs are great for someone learning how to do mechanic stuff and are pretty unfuckable.

E: If I was a less classy lady I'd get a bumper sticker that said "I <3 MY TANK"

Scathach has a new favorite as of 04:35 on Mar 17, 2016

nocal
Mar 7, 2007
I got a new (refurb) XPS 13. Just the base i3. I traded in my old XPS and a dying old Inspiron, and got this one for free. The screen looks great, keyboard is nice, and the trackpad is an upgrade from the old XPS.

martinlutherbling
Mar 27, 2010

Scathach posted:

Awesome. My best friend's parents had one of these when we were growing up. The odometer died at 261k, and it was daily driven for the next 11 loving YEARS with almost no maintenance. The car ran for its last 4 years or so with no turbo...don't even know how little hp it made at that point, but if we ever came to a steep hill the passengers all had to get out and walk. I miss the poo poo out of that car.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.
I got a new modem / router

Netgear D6400

colas
Feb 14, 2007

nocal posted:

I got a new (refurb) XPS 13. Just the base i3. I traded in my old XPS and a dying old Inspiron, and got this one for free. The screen looks great, keyboard is nice, and the trackpad is an upgrade from the old XPS.

I wouldn't buy another XPS laptop but I got mine in 2006, are they decent now? It still runs but the hinge is hosed. My Dell desktop on the other hand was awesome, they used to make really solid desktops.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
The XPS 13s and 15s are some of the best laptops out there at the moment.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

martinlutherbling posted:

Awesome. My best friend's parents had one of these when we were growing up. The odometer died at 261k, and it was daily driven for the next 11 loving YEARS with almost no maintenance.

That's pretty much why I got one-- I know this thing has a ton more years in it before I ever have to rebuild the engine/transmission. Slightly more expensive gas is absolutely worth it. Also I kinda feel like a James Bond.

E: finally got my pictures to upload.

Scathach has a new favorite as of 06:10 on Mar 17, 2016

nocal
Mar 7, 2007

colas posted:

I wouldn't buy another XPS laptop but I got mine in 2006, are they decent now? It still runs but the hinge is hosed. My Dell desktop on the other hand was awesome, they used to make really solid desktops.

Seems good, and IIRC this is the 3rd generation with good reviews. Dunno about longevity obviously, but everything about it is pretty solid at the moment.

Spamtheman
May 30, 2005

Effer of the ineffable

FordPRefectLL posted:

The XPS 13s and 15s are some of the best laptops out there at the moment.

I've been using the XPS 13 for about a year and have been super impressed.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Krypt-OOO-Nite!! posted:

I only have hate for Apollo bikes because I had one when I was 12 and within a month part of the frame just chipped off and I had to wait three months until my dad brought me another.

But good post dude and the bike is actually not bad, I hadn't accounted for how hilly the route would be and it holds up well.
Plus there's no better feeling than riding past all work colleges while their stuck in traffic and it's much nicer to spend half of my way home riding through the common than being annoyed by traffic.

Oh yeah, tootling past people while they're stuck in traffic is wonderful but also part of the reason why most people loving hate cyclists so be careful some vindictive bellend doesn't pull something stupid on you.

colas posted:

Are 80's BMW/Mercs money pits or? I mean if you're not a mechanic or DIY'er.

Aside from the usual rear arch rust and general lack of maintenance from previous owners they're solid as hell. Also glacially slow (diesel especially so) but they'll definitely get you to where you need to go, just not in any sort of hurry. I think it was the model after this (190?) that Mercedes themselves admitted they'd overbuilt it and hosed themselves out of sales of new cars because the 190s were lasting so well.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?
Ordered, but not yet actually signed the purchase paperwork:

2016 Subaru Forester 2.5i Premium.

Should be arriving in June sometime. Had to order because I wanted a 6-speed Manual.

My 3rd Subaru.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

HaB posted:

Should be arriving in June sometime. Had to order because I wanted a 6-speed Manual.

My 3rd Subaru.

lol

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
I Wish they had kept the more boxy look the old ones had. My SO has a 03 Forester and that thing is so loving useful. Nice long, flat, and low roof.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

HaB posted:

My 3rd Subaru.

Looks like a 200x era Toyota Highlander to me.

Any particular reason for manual or do you just get bored while driving?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

nocal posted:

Seems good, and IIRC this is the 3rd generation with good reviews. Dunno about longevity obviously, but everything about it is pretty solid at the moment.

The XPS line has a completely different design focus change since 2006. Probably more than one, Dell never seems to stick with a plan for the line for more than a few years.

They're meant to be Windows Macbooks now, instead of bulkier high performance focus they used to have. Though like the Macbook Pros the XPS15 can have a 960M and quad core i7, so still plenty powerful for a laptop.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Scathach posted:

That's pretty much why I got one-- I know this thing has a ton more years in it before I ever have to rebuild the engine/transmission. Slightly more expensive gas is absolutely worth it. Also I kinda feel like a James Bond.

E: finally got my pictures to upload.

Nice! Get a set of European headlights ASAP though, these round ones are pretty goofy.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Looks like a 200x era Toyota Highlander to me.

Any particular reason for manual or do you just get bored while driving?

Have basically always driven manual, so it's just what I'm used to. The newfangled CVTs are much better than older automatics, but I still just prefer manuals.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

HaB posted:

My 3rd Subaru.

What's up Subaru buddy!

You should post a review of the 6 speed manual forester I have been considering replacing our 09 forester...

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Table lamps

A better shower head

Defghanistan
Feb 9, 2010

2base2furious

Tea Bone posted:

Butter croissants and baked potatoes were a godsend when I had mine out. My ENT told me that jello was fine but slightly more solid foods were better because they 'cleaned' the tissue and the chewing would help with the pain. Also don't make the same mistake I did on the first day you feel relatively okay, and try and eat a jalapeno pizza.

Content, I finally bought a new phone. A second hand galaxy S6, pretty much unused for £200.

Jalapeno pizza on day one sounds like suicide. This pain is pretty unbelievable and I've had my share of rough surgeries.
I am at the "cauterizing scabs falling off" stage and it's...not awesome.

Solid Cake
Jan 17, 2008

TRAPPED IN QUANTUM CHOCOLATE SINGULARITY!
SEND HELP!
Pillbug
I stopped being a weenie and finally scheduled a procedure to get LASIK here next Thursday. Their website looks terrible but they're the best in this part of the country. I had my consultation this past Monday and was told that I was a good candidate for the surgery, and also found out that the prescription I've had for glasses and contacts is about two whole points weaker than what I really need so I've actually been seeing like poo poo for a long time and had no idea :doh:

Solid Cake has a new favorite as of 18:04 on Mar 17, 2016

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!

Solid Cake posted:

I stopped being a weenie and finally scheduled a procedure to get LASIK here Thursday. Their website looks terrible but they're the best in this part of the country. I had my consultation this past Monday and was told that I was a good candidate for the surgery, and also found out that the prescription I've had for glasses and contacts is about two whole points weaker than what I really need so I've actually been seeing like poo poo for a long time and had no idea :doh:

As a recent receiver of lasik let me say congratulations and gently caress corrective lenses.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG

hamsystem posted:

As a recent receiver of lasik let me say congratulations and gently caress corrective lenses.

This.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

hamsystem posted:

I got fixed about 4 years ago and was recently looking through old photos and forgot that I had glasses for like 20 years. I didn't really mind wearing them for day to day use, it was just annoying with sports really, but I'm glad I spent all that money to get rid of them.

What I purchased yesterday was about $8k for the remaining balance on the venue/catering for my wedding Saturday, and the $900 left for the shuttle company to get the guests there. Goodbye money, I hardly knew ye. I guess gone are the days when grooms actually received goats and poo poo for marrying a lady.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Cable modem

Router

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

I have both of these. Good choice.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I have a slightly droopy eyelid like Forest Whitaker so glasses help balance things out.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL

HaB posted:

My 3rd Subaru.

I have almost this exact same car and it's pretty alright. Ours is the base model though, so don't know if that changes too much besides interior and uglier wheels. The ride is pretty nice and it's big enough for our big ol dog.

In any case, considering how gutless it is, it's a major gas hog. We struggle to average over 18 or 19 mpg in the city and can maaaaaybe top out around 27mpg on the highway. I'm told the automatic gets drastically better fuel economy, like 8-10mpg better, but the girlfriend really really wanted to keep driving a manual. I think she feels it's less of a grocery getter if she can bang gears on her way to work.