Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax

Len posted:

As someone who works at a popcorn factory that is not going to get you what you want.

True that, plus the theatre has great popcorn (and I do mean great, I can't find even remotely similar popcorn at any of my other local theatres and chains :canada:).

Flavacol is a must. Coconut oil is just like 35mm film; it has great craft behind it and has nostalgia fueling it's use, but modern stuff can produce a nicer results when used well (not to say newer is always better, retro stuff usually shows dedication to it's craft). We use a vegetable-based popping oil called 'Vegetol' that has butter flavoring in it already; put it in the right amounts and you're golden.

Personally, I think it tastes great plain like that. But if you believe that plain popcorn is unthinkable...

For our topping; we also use a particular topping oil mixed with salted butter in equal parts. That way you get that genuine butter smell, mixed with a nice and familiar butter-flavored-topping taste you get anywhere else (also keeps us from spending as much on sticks of butter).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Cobweb Heart posted:

On that note, remember ~a couple days ago when that guy made a post about the dumb marketing he had to sit through, and then we had to read about a half page of retards :stare:ing and calling him a crazy sexless shut-in for being bothered by how hosed up it is instead of blithely ignoring it and pretending it's healthy and cool? It's actually way more bizarre to me that anyone (at least anyone who's not a young child) isn't disturbed and alienated by ads. It's incredibly surreal to see people do capitalism's dirty work in this very thread, like, "you put thought into the aggressively manipulative addiction tactics bombarding your brain -> you're a loving weirdo who cares too much -> definitely an unclean, lonely virgin with budding schizophrenia, must publicly distance self." How mentally crippled do you have to be to think like that? Actually that's facetious and unfair; I think I know what it might be: people who have to see ads on the hour, like because of work or kids, or who choose to because of their hobbies (moviegoers), are envious of anyone who doesn't have to experience it. People are scared and irritated by anyone who wants to talk about ads being really harmful, and pro-capitalist narratives in society encourage ignoring that and labeling them as anxious, paranoid misfits.

I think commercials are a really weird and scary thing - sometimes they genuinely upset me - and I wish society could somehow disallow everyone from being targeted and awkwardly mindfucked by rich people like that. That sentence alone is probably enough to get lots of people thinking "I didn't know a nerd could be this crazy AND this dumb".

Commercials were one of the reasons I quit watching television, all told. I got tired of being told that I sucked and needed *thing* so I could not suck every ten minutes. I think one of the reasons people think it's weird to think about adverts is that most of the time people just ignore them. It's part of the problem; people see advertising so drat often we've learned to tune it out. The whole point is to grab people's attention but you learn to tune out common, harmless things. How many of us actually notice that noise our refrigerator or computer makes? Advertising got about the same; we ignore it, as a whole. If you're paying careful attention that's on the same level as watching closely as cars go by. If you don't have a good reason to do it you're weird.

But advertisement doesn't work if you ignore it so it's gotten more obnoxious and drills deeper into your emotional buttons. If you buy the wrong toothpaste your breath will stink and you'll never get laid. If you didn't buy your wife a new car on Valentine's day you're a lovely husband. HELLO THERE I SELL USED CARS I AM YELLING AT YOU BECAUSE MY CARS ARE JUST SO UNBELIEVABLY GOOD DEALS THAT I HAVE TO TELL YOU ABOUT IT YEAH YEAH loving YEAH BUY MY CARS HOLY poo poo GODDAMNIT BUY MY loving CAAARRRRRRSSSSSSSSSS. A real woman is rail thin and you can only get thin enough by taking our diet pills. The measure of a man is how many trucks and power tools he owns. Lucky for you we're having a sale on both! Be manly and buy like a thousand power saws.

If somebody spoke to me the way advertisements speak to me I'd feel compelled to kick them off of a bridge, I think.

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

You mechs may have copper wiring to re-route your fear of pain, but I've got nerves of steel.

Cobweb Heart posted:

On that note, remember ~a couple days ago when that guy made a post about the dumb marketing he had to sit through, and then we had to read about a half page of retards :stare:ing and calling him a crazy sexless shut-in for being bothered by how hosed up it is instead of blithely ignoring it and pretending it's healthy and cool? It's actually way more bizarre to me that anyone (at least anyone who's not a young child) isn't disturbed and alienated by ads. It's incredibly surreal to see people do capitalism's dirty work in this very thread, like, "you put thought into the aggressively manipulative addiction tactics bombarding your brain -> you're a loving weirdo who cares too much -> definitely an unclean, lonely virgin with budding schizophrenia, must publicly distance self." How mentally crippled do you have to be to think like that? Actually that's facetious and unfair; I think I know what it might be: people who have to see ads on the hour, like because of work or kids, or who choose to because of their hobbies (moviegoers), are envious of anyone who doesn't have to experience it. People are scared and irritated by anyone who wants to talk about ads being really harmful, and pro-capitalist narratives in society encourage ignoring that and labeling them as anxious, paranoid misfits.

I think commercials are a really weird and scary thing - sometimes they genuinely upset me - and I wish society could somehow disallow everyone from being targeted and awkwardly mindfucked by rich people like that. That sentence alone is probably enough to get lots of people thinking "I didn't know a nerd could be this crazy AND this dumb".

It's marketing and psychology, I think (good) commercials are awesome - go watch some Mad Men sadbrains.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I wish it was illegale to have sirens and souds of car accidents in loving radio commercials. Though my favorite has to be one very loud accident, brakes squealing and then a huge crash, with one guy exclaiming "Oh no, not again," in the most unsurprised voice possible. Dick, if a car accident has you thinking "meh, too bad" instead of slightly panicky from the adrenaline, you should not be driving.

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS

The Something Awful Forums: Come for the humor, stay for the intelligent discourse. Thanks for the real talk. Please accept this sincere and unironic :patriot:

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Cobweb Heart posted:

Edit: Well I'll be less sardonic.

I guess the thing is less that he's a weird for not liking ads (who does? I'm not exactly begging for netflix to add them, and I use adblocker for a reason) it was the effort post of writing about every ad he saw rather than just moving on.

As for the manipulation piece...we are, in a very real sense, manipulated every day by everyone and everything in our environment, not just advertising. We're manipulated to goto work, do our jobs, find love, get married, have children. It's not always 5th Avenue advertising that does it and yet people wanna prove they're capable of breaking free of the shackles of consumerism by pointing out how ridiculous it is that we obey ads. Much like the argument about "is there really free will" it's just another way in which our brains are driven to do something and I just don't see how it's all that unique.

Also to be fair, he called himself the shut-in.

RagnarokAngel has a new favorite as of 00:55 on Mar 17, 2016

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Cowslips Warren posted:

I wish it was illegale to have sirens and souds of car accidents in loving radio commercials.

It is, though. Report it to the FCC.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Back when I worked at a movie theater we'd pop all the popcorn on Sunday's and bag it up for the rest of the week.

Only the best for $4 a bucket (1990's dollars).

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
It was less about the elaborate deconstructions of the ads and more about how they were deconstructed, like calling PewDiePie the scourge of millenials or whatever.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
Went to see The Witch at the local arthouse after work today, mostly because I've been wanting to see it, but partly because of the recent talk itt. Tickets were $7.50 a piece, and I got a bottle of water for $2. Besides short trailers for upcoming movies, none of which I can remember, this was the only ad-type thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnpofBtijF8

And it clearly owns. I am going to be so depressed if theaters like that disappear in my lifetime.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Cobweb Heart posted:

it wouldn't have been a problem if his actual descriptions and interpretations of the ads didn't come across as a guy scrawling them on his cell wall in his own poo poo

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Alaois posted:

it wouldn't have been a problem if his actual descriptions and interpretations of the ads didn't come across as a guy scrawling them on his cell wall in his own poo poo

You should be flattered he was trying to emulate your posting style, then.

shut up netface
Jun 15, 2008

Tiggum posted:

I went to see Deadpool at the cinema recently (and it was pretty great, BTW), but it did remind me why I haven't been to the cinema in a long time before that. I got a good seat, but there were people paying $20 to sit way off to the side or practically right underneath the screen - the cinema I went to had assigned seating but the ticket price is the same regardless of which seat you get - or right next to some obnoxious stranger. And if you want an actually comfortable seat in a less crowded cinema where you can buy drinks then you pay double. For the price of seeing one movie in comfort I could get Netflix for four months. How is this still a viable business model?

There's a chain of mediocre tier theaters http://www.bowtiecinemas.com/ that has HALF PRICE TUESDAYS which has gotten my rear end in the theater even more than I was in high school. What better way to fritter a way a Tuesday afternoon by taking you and your lady to the movies for 12 bucks, 15 bucks if you sneak in some candy. Brilliant marketing by driving the price down dramatically on the slowest day of the week in the theater.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
My wife and I just mock commercials when we see them, imagine the board room where the ad executives propose these ad ideas, it's pretty fun.

RagnarokAngel posted:

I guess the thing is less that he's a weird for not liking ads (who does? I'm not exactly begging for netflix to add them, and I use adblocker for a reason) it was the effort post of writing about every ad he saw rather than just moving on.

As for the manipulation piece...we are, in a very real sense, manipulated every day by everyone and everything in our environment, not just advertising. We're manipulated to goto work, do our jobs, find love, get married, have children. It's not always 5th Avenue advertising that does it and yet people wanna prove they're capable of breaking free of the shackles of consumerism by pointing out how ridiculous it is that we obey ads. Much like the argument about "is there really free will" it's just another way in which our brains are driven to do something and I just don't see how it's all that unique.

I just want people to be aware that they are being manipulated. Suppose it kind of bites to always act like everyone is always trying to sell you something but surprise! Everyone is trying to sell you something. Just be aware and skeptical and you'll be better off. and I agree, you can't avoid it so just be aware.

Lady Naga posted:

It was less about the elaborate deconstructions of the ads and more about how they were deconstructed, like calling PewDiePie the scourge of millenials or whatever.

So? Call him the PewDiePie of ad deconstruction. Hyper-emotional caricatures and exaggerated reactions that bother some people and others love.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Cowslips Warren posted:

I wish it was illegale to have sirens and souds of car accidents in loving radio commercials. Though my favorite has to be one very loud accident, brakes squealing and then a huge crash, with one guy exclaiming "Oh no, not again," in the most unsurprised voice possible. Dick, if a car accident has you thinking "meh, too bad" instead of slightly panicky from the adrenaline, you should not be driving.

I loving hate those commercials. Driving in Central Florida you'll hear like 3 of those during each commercial break.

You hear a car crash, people screaming, a woman yelling out "my baby!" and you have to fight your instincts to hit the breaks and maybe swerve and cause an accident. Sometimes I think that's the whole plan, fly you into a panic so you crash and have to call.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)
I tend to watch shows where the target demographic is grandparents, so I'm used to the grim yet weirdly saccharine after-school-special acting of life insurance commercials, bad hip replacement lawyer ads, and George Foreman telling me to call his friends at Invent Help.

But nothing could have prepared me for this treasure, this absolute gem.

And here, have the black version as well, because this is a feat of voice acting mastery that can't be contained to just one race.

The part that really gets me is GRAMMA's creepy chuckle at the end. I think the voice actress was actually clearing her throat and they just said "What the hell, keep it."

Also, the "door opening" sound effect at the beginning of the commercial sounds more like Elly is going to start dropping some sick beats.

sweeperbravo has a new favorite as of 21:38 on Mar 17, 2016

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Volume posted:

I loving hate those commercials. Driving in Central Florida you'll hear like 3 of those during each commercial break.

You hear a car crash, people screaming, a woman yelling out "my baby!" and you have to fight your instincts to hit the breaks and maybe swerve and cause an accident. Sometimes I think that's the whole plan, fly you into a panic so you crash and have to call.

Like ever other rap album produced in the 90's has this poo poo as well.

Filox
Oct 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer

RagnarokAngel posted:

"Manipulation" is not the same when discussing employment, love, marriage or children.

Employment is a good way to avoid starvation and homelessness. Love, marriage and children are inextricably linked to the instinct to perpetuate ones own DNA and preserve the species. The desire to preserve the self (by not starving) and preserve the species are natural instincts and serve a real purpose. We have a lot of societies in the world that have come down on the side of natural instincts and back them up by telling us to get off your rear end, feed yourself, when you fall in love [and you mostly likely will at some point in your life] try to turn it into a relationship because there are pretty good benefits of all kinds to having a partner, maybe have some kids and keep them alive until they're old enough to be independent. This is not a really bad thing unless you don't want those things for whatever personal reason (like you're lazy and hate people, or you don't want kids ever) and resent people who want to work, want to fall in love and want to maybe get married and have kids.

The desire to buy that new kind of Doritos and a new TV and a new console and a new car, hell TWO NEW CARS!!, these things are not necessary to existence. In this case you're being manipulated by advertising into doing things that are of little benefit to you or to your species. And it can get really loving annoying when the ads are trying to convince you all the time that you're a bad person because you're not buying their poo poo yet. And the point, which wandered off for a second, is that it is not necessary for the individual or the species to buy every piece of crap that's being touted on TV.

TL/DR: Living in a society that suspects that most people want to do things that come naturally to every animal on the planet is not the same as being subjected to commercial advertising all the time.

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

Filox posted:

"Manipulation" is not the same when discussing employment, love, marriage or children.

Employment is a good way to avoid starvation and homelessness. Love, marriage and children are inextricably linked to the instinct to perpetuate ones own DNA and preserve the species. The desire to preserve the self (by not starving) and preserve the species are natural instincts and serve a real purpose. We have a lot of societies in the world that have come down on the side of natural instincts and back them up by telling us to get off your rear end, feed yourself, when you fall in love [and you mostly likely will at some point in your life] try to turn it into a relationship because there are pretty good benefits of all kinds to having a partner, maybe have some kids and keep them alive until they're old enough to be independent. This is not a really bad thing unless you don't want those things for whatever personal reason (like you're lazy and hate people, or you don't want kids ever) and resent people who want to work, want to fall in love and want to maybe get married and have kids.

The desire to buy that new kind of Doritos and a new TV and a new console and a new car, hell TWO NEW CARS!!, these things are not necessary to existence. In this case you're being manipulated by advertising into doing things that are of little benefit to you or to your species. And it can get really loving annoying when the ads are trying to convince you all the time that you're a bad person because you're not buying their poo poo yet. And the point, which wandered off for a second, is that it is not necessary for the individual or the species to buy every piece of crap that's being touted on TV.

TL/DR: Living in a society that suspects that most people want to do things that come naturally to every animal on the planet is not the same as being subjected to commercial advertising all the time.

lol

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I don't even own a movie theatre :smug:

Kumaton
Mar 6, 2013

OWLBEARS, SON

sweeperbravo posted:

I tend to watch shows where the target demographic is grandparents, so I'm used to the grim yet weirdly saccharine after-school-special acting of life insurance commercials, bad hip replacement lawyer ads, and George Foreman telling me to call his friends at Invent Help.

And here, have the black version as well, because this is a feat of voice acting mastery that can't be contained to just one race.

Oh, God, I've seen this before and thought it was an extremely local commercial, but apparently it's a thing in other places. The clip art animation is just terribly amazing.
There's also Granny8, which apparently is local to my area, but has almost the same amount of effort as that Microsoft PowerPoint presentation that you shared.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

sweeperbravo posted:

The part that really gets me is GRAMMA's creepy chuckle at the end. I think the voice actress was actually clearing her throat and they just said "What the hell, keep it."

Also, the "door opening" sound effect at the beginning of the commercial sounds more like Elly is going to start dropping some sick beats.

Kumaton posted:

Oh, God, I've seen this before and thought it was an extremely local commercial, but apparently it's a thing in other places. The clip art animation is just terribly amazing.
There's also Granny8, which apparently is local to my area, but has almost the same amount of effort as that Microsoft PowerPoint presentation that you shared.

I give you General Auto Insurance, which I'm sure is every bit as scammy as the knee brace people:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOmquVNYF0Q
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSM9j81X0g4

Kumaton
Mar 6, 2013

OWLBEARS, SON

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

I give you General Auto Insurance, which I'm sure is every bit as scammy as the knee brace people:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOmquVNYF0Q
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSM9j81X0g4

My favorite The General commercial is where the guy wears a big 'ol military helmet to work, and when his boss asks why he's wearing that, the guy says "oh I've saved x amount on car insurance by switching to The General." Then the boss asks to see the guy in his office, then he's promoted to manager or something. I don't know how wearing a loving dorky helmet and switching to lovely cheap insurance will get you promoted, but in the The General canon there's a tiny, generic, fake-looking general walking around with a tinier penguin driving a sports car, so this world is obviously beyond our comprehension.

Bast Relief
Feb 21, 2006

by exmarx

Cobweb Heart posted:

I appreciate this post. I just figured I'd peace out since I guess it was too much to talk about what the gently caress is going on in ads in the marketing thread. I also don't get what's so bad about "effort posting". When others put consideration into their responses I enjoy it more than snarky poo poo posting.

Anyway, I take back calling myself a shut-in. I'm really busy with work, and a lot of my socialization is work-related, so sometimes I forget that I do have something of a social life. I haven't been to the movies in ages because what with going back to school while working and managing a long-distance relationship, well, I haven't had time for that, and that's when I stopped watching TV all together. I don't really watch it on the internet either. Because of the bf, I've also picked up new hobbies like hiking, and have been spending a lot of time outdoors away from all this crap, so forgive me for being utterly shocked by modern advertising.

Choco1980 posted:

Some food for thought. My mom lives in the Kalamazoo area, and there's a whole mess of theaters in driving distance, but only two I like going to:
I want to go to these places.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
When it comes to insurance adverts, Hastings has a fun phone number at least: 0800 00 1066 :3: (Battle of Hastings)

princecoo
Sep 3, 2009
There is a local real estate radio ad where I live that says they're number one. The ad is pretty typical until the end, where they go "Everyone else is just number two"

I enjoy it, a little subversive "you're all poo poo" because I happen to know that the woman who started the business the ad is for used to work for the only competition in town, and she left them after they dicked her over and other workplace bullshit.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

BioEnchanted posted:

When it comes to insurance adverts, Hastings has a fun phone number at least: 0800 00 1066 :3: (Battle of Hastings)

And the catchiest ear worm jingle ever. It's just their phone number set to a melody.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Filox posted:

The desire to differentiate yourself by the products you consume, or choose not to consume, is a fundamental human social-psychological trait. It is as 'natural' as any of the other things you mention.

That doesn't mean there's nothing wrong with the way modern advertising works and the form it takes, but I disagree with the premise of that specific argument against it.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
It's NPR's spring pledge time, meaning every 10 to 15 minutes I get a guilt trip for gaving the gall to listen to a free radio station without paying for the privilege.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Choco1980 posted:

It's NPR's spring pledge time, meaning every 10 to 15 minutes I get a guilt trip for gaving the gall to listen to a free radio station without paying for the privilege.

I donate to NPR, so I just get annoyed that I hear the same special pledge drive episodes of things :negative

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010
LA has two main classic rock stations. I enjoy the newer upstart because they tend to have better programming and a more varied song selection. The only problem is, they insist on running self-congratulatory ads every hour praising how they have so many minutes less of commercials than the competition. Like, not just saying "Less commercials, more music", they specifically call out the other station and chastise them for having "140 more commercials per day" or something. Everyone I know who listens to the station agree it comes across as really desperate, and people have even written in to complain about it. You'd think they'd get the message, but nope, still doing it.

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS

dirksteadfast posted:

LA has two main classic rock stations. I enjoy the newer upstart because they tend to have better programming and a more varied song selection. The only problem is, they insist on running self-congratulatory ads every hour praising how they have so many minutes less of commercials than the competition. Like, not just saying "Less commercials, more music", they specifically call out the other station and chastise them for having "140 more commercials per day" or something. Everyone I know who listens to the station agree it comes across as really desperate, and people have even written in to complain about it. You'd think they'd get the message, but nope, still doing it.

JACK FM here does that poo poo. I like the music, but they have tons of smug breaks between sets talking about how great they are that they don't have commercials - but the breaks are nearly as often and long as if they were commercials. :psyduck:

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

Phlegmish posted:

The desire to differentiate yourself by the products you consume, or choose not to consume, is a fundamental human social-psychological trait. It is as 'natural' as any of the other things you mention.

That doesn't mean there's nothing wrong with the way modern advertising works and the form it takes, but I disagree with the premise of that specific argument against it.

Is it? Like you said specifically "Products you consume", which is a very modern-industrial way of looking at it. Certainly people have always been like "oh I'm better than those poor people cause I buy my bread from the good bakery", but is that really the same thing as being bombarded by advertisements that imply differentiation where none exists? I don't think identifying as a mac/chevy fanboy is really the same as having only the good carpenters build your house.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Iron Crowned posted:

I donate to NPR, so I just get annoyed that I hear the same special pledge drive episodes of things :negative
As an NPR supporter I get really annoyed with their motherfucking budget, and how it's growing year after year. They're buying stations, frequencies and infrastructure, but until those begin to contribute, they're begging current supporters to cover the costs.

Filox
Oct 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Uncle Enzo posted:

Is it? Like you said specifically "Products you consume", which is a very modern-industrial way of looking at it. Certainly people have always been like "oh I'm better than those poor people cause I buy my bread from the good bakery", but is that really the same thing as being bombarded by advertisements that imply differentiation where none exists? I don't think identifying as a mac/chevy fanboy is really the same as having only the good carpenters build your house.

Or Ford vs. Chevy. We had kids years away from a drivers license arguing Ford vs. Chevy from about fifth grade onwards, when it's obvious to anyone with eyes that there's not really much difference; it's just as easy to put either of them up on blocks in the front yard.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Filox posted:

If you reject advertising of consumer products that aren't necessary, you should also reject the norm of huge amounts of labor going into producing, transporting, and selling those things and the attitude that it's virtuous or worthwhile.

Filox
Oct 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer

GWBBQ posted:

If you reject advertising of consumer products that aren't necessary, you should also reject the norm of huge amounts of labor going into producing, transporting, and selling those things and the attitude that it's virtuous or worthwhile.

In some respects, yes. But you aren't going to get junk food manufacturers to stop making high-fat, high-sugar foods that are bad for us and start making foods that are good for us as long as we're stupid enough to eat junk food by the metric fuckton. You aren't going to get manufacturers to stop having their merchandise made by third world child laborers as long as we keep buying the stuff. You aren't going to get advertisers to stop with their desperate bullshit until you come up with a way to convince them that they're annoying assholes and maybe doing more disservice to their brands than benefit.

It sucks, but we're stuck with it because nobody has come along with a really brilliant, workable idea for how to short circuit the whole mess. And don't look at me, I don't have one either.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
I know when people think of Apple marketing, they think of the Switch or the "I'm a Mac, I'm a PC" ads. But during the 1990's Apple was really dire straits, and were reduced to using late-night infomercials to try and market their computers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdqe5fu8A30

It didn't go so well.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

That was on all the time. The main guy was in The Sandlot. The one that had a crush on the lifeguard Wendy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
You guys watch way too much loving tv if ads get to you this much.