Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Was there more than one reading that made Lou give up? I remember him reading some crazy prepper talk about North Korea and global politics, and Lou just stopped and said "this is bullshit. gently caress this" and went on to the next thing.
There was that one OD story that turned out to just be a lovely trip report.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

The one where people discuss giving unwilling people AIDS is probably the one that I had the hardest time getting through.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun
Oh No Ross and Carrie is good if you're interested into a deep dive into pseudoscience and new religious movements, which the F Plus touches on occasionally. They'll pick a group or topic, spend a long time earnestly pursuing it, then report about their first-hand experiences in a way that's critical but not judgmental.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

The Chairman posted:

Oh No Ross and Carrie is good if you're interested into a deep dive into pseudoscience and new religious movements, which the F Plus touches on occasionally. They'll pick a group or topic, spend a long time earnestly pursuing it, then report about their first-hand experiences in a way that's critical but not judgmental.

Unless it's about giving a standing ovation for the concept of banjos. Then they will rightfully judge the hell out of it.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

watho posted:

The one where people discuss giving unwilling people AIDS is probably the one that I had the hardest time getting through.

Is that a Lou Reads?

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

EmmyOk posted:

Is that a Lou Reads?

There's (one of) the "bug chaser" episodes that has a lot of guys enthusing about anonymous unprotected gay sex while having HIV.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

That Old Tree posted:

There's (one of) the "bug chaser" episodes that has a lot of guys enthusing about anonymous unprotected gay sex while having HIV.
I like the heartwarming wrapup to that one:

Lou posted:

It's funny - when I was growing up in the dawn of the AIDS crisis, my mom worked with lots of HIV-positive patients as a psychiatrist, and, for most of my high school and growing up, I had to hear stories of - you know, at dinner, my mom would be like, "Oh, how was school?" "It was terrible." "OK. Well, today at work, I met a man who is married and likes to have sex with men, and he got HIV and gave it to his wife and their baby, and now they're all sick." And that was like a typical dinner conversation, so I was really exposed to that, the fear of spreading, of catching HIV, way early in the AIDS crisis. So I was reading these stories and was just like, "Oh my God, this is still happening."

Sham bam bamina! fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Mar 14, 2016

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
The fact that the bugcatchers, pissdrinkers, etc. are entirely people who are full of poo poo roleplaying their twisted fantasies online makes those episodes a lot easier to bear. Even something as comparatively mundane and believable as the cuckolding episode is mostly total bullshit, I can't remember where but I saw a mini-doc on a self-proclaimed "big black buck" once and all his big talk amounted to was him and one or two uggos who were already in an open relationship.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Obviously, stories like "…and then their neighbors came over to check out all the screaming and they joined the spontaneous robbery/orgy" are total bullshit. Yet I have little enough faith in humanity/enough faith in the determined stupidity of weirdos, that I believe not everything in these terrifying safaris are made-up.

Edit: Like the anal destruction guy looking for a "patron." I'm honestly :shrug: over whether that's real or not. There are enough actual gimp situations out there I'm like "Yeah, okay. Sure. I buy it. Can't wait to see the inevitable 48 Hours about it."

That Old Tree fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Mar 14, 2016

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Sleeveless posted:

The fact that the bugcatchers, pissdrinkers, etc. are entirely people who are full of poo poo roleplaying their twisted fantasies online makes those episodes a lot easier to bear. Even something as comparatively mundane and believable as the cuckolding episode is mostly total bullshit, I can't remember where but I saw a mini-doc on a self-proclaimed "big black buck" once and all his big talk amounted to was him and one or two uggos who were already in an open relationship.

Bugchasers don't seem all that far fetched when you think about all the male celebrities that became HIV-positive, or even had AIDS, that continued having sex with dozens of people while unprotected. Charlie Sheen, Ray Sharkey, and John Holmes come to mind.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Thank you all for the suggestions.

By the way, the F-Plus people are pretty much all goons, right? I've been wondering about that. Everything seems to point to it, from the choice of subject matter to their implied political beliefs and the fact that they charge a one-time membership fee of $10 for ballp.it.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

There's a Venn diagram between SA goons and F Plus readers and I know Isfahan is in the overlap but I don't know if anyone else is there.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Phlegmish posted:

Thank you all for the suggestions.

By the way, the F-Plus people are pretty much all goons, right? I've been wondering about that. Everything seems to point to it, from the choice of subject matter to their implied political beliefs and the fact that they charge a one-time membership fee of $10 for ballp.it.

They have a shared past with Portal Of Evil, which probably accounts more for those first two aspects, but I know a few have accounts and have even posted in this very thread.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Djeser posted:

There's a Venn diagram between SA goons and F Plus readers and I know Isfahan is in the overlap but I don't know if anyone else is there.

I think when they started only Bunnybread and Isfahan had accounts, but since then Bozarth joined the F Plus, and Boots and Jimmyfranks got SA accounts.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

I know John Toast has a very positive opinion of this place.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Re: Cold openings, the one with film pitches is excellent.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

EmmyOk posted:

Re: Cold openings, the one with film pitches is excellent.

I like that one because it's such a long walk for a mediocre joke and Boots breaks down and can't seal the deal anyway.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Yeah that's why I like it so much, he just loses it halfway through from "From Dust till Dog". It reminds me of RLM when Mike loses it.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

The Chairman posted:

Shame that the site is lacking basic features like a real episode list or a search function. Or, well, a good way to identify page numbers or how many are left and there's a surprisingly large amount of episodes which is cool in theory but combined with the former problems just makes scouring this site for interesting stuff an inevitably tedious chore. Shame too because it seems like something I would really like at points otherwise. :sigh:

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Dragonatrix posted:

Shame that the site is lacking basic features like a real episode list or a search function. Or, well, a good way to identify page numbers or how many are left and there's a surprisingly large amount of episodes which is cool in theory but combined with the former problems just makes scouring this site for interesting stuff an inevitably tedious chore. Shame too because it seems like something I would really like at points otherwise. :sigh:

If you don't already use a podcasting app on your phone it makes things a zillion times easier, just add the RSS feed and every episode pops up in a nice little list and you can search and download what you want and automatically download new ones.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

And then it crashes all the time and freaks out if you lose internet and sometimes just pauses and deletes all progress in the episode :argh: podcast addict

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Djeser posted:

And then it crashes all the time and freaks out if you lose internet and sometimes just pauses and deletes all progress in the episode :argh: podcast addict

I use podcast addict and never had these problems. Goodbye!

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
A friendly reminder that Focus on a Single Twit is an amazing episode tag and every episode tagged with it is a total winner.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

DemonTrigger posted:

Agreed. The CumOnFood episode has a whole lot of discussion about stealth-feeding cum to people through the food, which is totally hosed up.

And we're back to the F Plus with John Kitchin!

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun
My doc submission got recorded!

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I just looked into the hopper and saw an M Dickie doc, I want that episode!

watho
Aug 2, 2013

RyokoTK posted:

I just looked into the hopper and saw an M Dickie doc, I want that episode!

I really want that to happen, although I doubt it will be better than this http://chipandironicus.com/videos/testament/6.html (the youtube video has been muted due to copyright)

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
The You Testament is precisely why I want an MDickie episode.

Maybe as consolation they can play it on Twitch or something.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The You Testament is really great but matching it with his extremely smug ramblings takes it to an entire new level.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

RyokoTK posted:

The You Testament is precisely why I want an MDickie episode.

Maybe as consolation they can play it on Twitch or something.

They did play Urth.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Grondoth posted:

They did play Urth.

Yeah, I know, and it was glorious. Reminds me of a simpler time in video games.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The You Testament is really nothing compared to the "sequel" which was about Muhammed. It's basically a bunch of reused assets from You Testament, and that laziness, combined with the sheer amount he gets wrong about the history of Islam, makes for something that's WAY more disrespectful while the man obliviously prattles on about how much good he's doing.

You can find an LP of it here.

For one, in the You Testament, you can sometimes have Jesus refer to God as "she" in a lovely skin-deep "what if God was a woman, maaaaaan?" thing. This is carried over into Making of a Prophet, with Muhammed calling Allah a "she" at one point, despite it being an extremely basic tenet of Islam that Allah cannot be anything but Allah and to compare Allah to a human is blasphemous.

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Mar 17, 2016

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
All I remember of The You Testament is that at one point Jesus uses meditation to unlock your chakras and show that the world of the game is a computer simulation. It was like a singularity of smug wishy-washy pop spirituality.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Sleeveless posted:

All I remember of The You Testament is that at one point Jesus uses meditation to unlock your chakras and show that the world of the game is a computer simulation. It was like a singularity of smug wishy-washy pop spirituality.

I thought that was the sequel, which visualizes seeing the underlying nature of all things as literally turning on wireframe mode?

It may have been the first one. I dunno. The two are pretty much identical, right down to the crucifixion crosses in the second one about Muhammed still having INRI on them.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

dijon du jour posted:

I thought that was the sequel, which visualizes seeing the underlying nature of all things as literally turning on wireframe mode?

It may have been the first one. I dunno. The two are pretty much identical, right down to the crucifixion crosses in the second one about Muhammed still having INRI on them.

First one has a magic power that let you see the wireframes, yeah

Also it's satanic to make magic bread and fruit

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

dijon du jour posted:

It's both. They're both pretty much the same drat game.

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky
Except you dont even see the whole wireframe. The character models in MDickie games have every item in the game in their hands. When you pick up an item, that model just gets filled in. Looking at the actual wireframes for the models is a mess.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

General Ironicus posted:

Except you dont even see the whole wireframe. The character models in MDickie games have every item in the game in their hands. When you pick up an item, that model just gets filled in. Looking at the actual wireframes for the models is a mess.
:ducksiren:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

General Ironicus posted:

Also instead of blinking, the eyeball models just siiiiiink backwards into the head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Improbable Lobster posted:

First one has a magic power that let you see the wireframes, yeah

Also it's satanic to make magic bread and fruit

Being satanic gives you black robes and the ability to chuck fireballs so it's not all bad.