Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

I'd rather deal with tearing than deal with input lag.

Hey, tearing might distract people from Ken's banana hair and Alex's french fry hair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Night Blade posted:

I'd rather deal with tearing than deal with input lag.

Hey, tearing might distract people from Ken's banana hair and Alex's french fry hair.

I'd rather have a game that was programmed by competent people. If anything, Capcom needs to hire all the people that worked on the MGSV PC port, assuming Kojima hasn't already scooped them all up for his new studio.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

FanaticalMilk posted:

I'd rather have a game that was programmed by competent people. If anything, Capcom needs to hire all the people that worked on the MGSV PC port, assuming Kojima hasn't already scooped them all up for his new studio.

It's kinda tricky. Having looked into the lag thing, it seems a good deal of it is probably due to UE4 having innately high input lag, so it's the price to pay with middleware. MGSV had the luxury of a fully homemade engine. On the other hand, I've also read about poor UE3 lag yet Guilty Gear Xrd's PC version seems to be up there with Skullgirls, even with post effects enabled. And there's also the fact SF4 already had higher lag than it ought to, so there's something they must've already been doing wrong.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
Eh, I'm sure we'll see a patch for it. It kinda seems like they are replacing the Super/Ultra new versions thing that they did with Street Fighter IV with the Fight Money Store and patches. I hope the game-as-platform thing pans out for them. If nothing else, I really love watching this franchise on the pro esports tier, so obviously I'd like that to continue.

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

deadly_pudding posted:

Eh, I'm sure we'll see a patch for it.

Why do you think this? Is this your first Capcom game?

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

when are they gonna nerf sentinel's health already
come the gently caress on capcom

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
"I really love watching this franchise on the pro esports tier, so obviously I'd like that to continue."

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

yare yare daze
thats what ill say
youre gonna pay
「STAR PLATINUM」

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My defenses are impregnable
My arms are tired
Make the gorilla a hybrid grappler/zoner and ill play exclusively JoJos.

yo mamma a Horus
Apr 7, 2008

Nap Ghost
i like the part where jotaro goes YES! YES! YES! YES!

Fruitsnacks
Oct 28, 2007

deadly_pudding posted:

Tell me if this is crazy talk:

As Karin, my go-to punishes currently are either a kick or my crMP->stMP confirm combo, depending on distance. Should I be trying to mix in stHP->Kyakku(HK version) for punishes on things with a longer recovery?
Or other stHP strings like stHP->V-Trigger->stHP->qcf P->etc?

Or is stHP still too slow to use like that?
Picking the right punish starter is important but If you're trying to maximize your damage you need to learn her optimal combo routes. Here are the highest damage combos, organized by meter usage and screen position.

*notes:
- Normal (non-EX) Tenko is always the just frame version
- Orochi = shoulder. When comboing into Orochi, always input it with d, df, f, d + K~P (or 2 kicks if EX Orochi).

0 meter, midscreen
Tenko, Orochi <- somewhat tight timing
Tenko, Tenko <- easier than comboing into Orochi but less damage + stun
Tenko, QCB+LK <- least damage + stun, but sets up good pressure after

0 meter, corner
Tenko, Tenko
Tenko, QCB+LK

1 meter, midscreen
Tenko, QCB+LK, EX Tenko <-input the EX command dash immediately but slightly delay the P follow-up

1 meter, corner
Tenko, Tenko, EX DP

2 meters, midscreen
:siren: Tenko, QCB+LK, EX Tenko, EX Orochi :siren: <- highest damage without super, highest stun (349 damage, 530 stun if starting from cr.MP s.MP), strict timing
Tenko, EX Tenko, forward dash EX DP <- 3 less damage & 35 less stun than previous combo but much easier

- For the first combo the EX Tenko command dash must be done immediately but the P follow-up is delayed
- For the second combo the entire EX Tenko (command dash + follow-up) is done as fast as possible

2 meters, corner
Tenko, QCB+LK, EX Tenko, EX DP

3 meters, midscreen
Tenko, Orochi xx super <- this is a cancel, not a link
Tenko, super

3 meters, corner
Tenko, Tenko, super
Tenko, QCB+LK, super <- only a few points less damage than previous combo

Looks like a lot to learn but it's really just 1 combo per situation (meter + screen position). Many of them are just variations of each other, too. Like the 3-meter combos are the 0-meter combos but with a super at the end. If the optimal combo is too hard you can use the easier version instead.

The 0-meter ones are what you're going to be using most of the time so learn those first. The big 2-meter combo is difficult but the damage and stun are huge. It will probably be the last combo that you add to your repertoire so don't worry too much if you can't do it right away. There are also some 3-meter combos that use 3 EX specials rather than super. They do less damage than super but significantly more stun and they're also pretty hard. I think you should focus on the combos above for now.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Fruitsnacks posted:

Picking the right punish starter is important but If you're trying to maximize your damage you need to learn her optimal combo routes. Here are the highest damage combos, organized by meter usage and screen position.

*notes:
- Normal (non-EX) Tenko is always the just frame version
- Orochi = shoulder. When comboing into Orochi, always input it with d, df, f, d + K~P (or 2 kicks if EX Orochi).

0 meter, midscreen
Tenko, Orochi <- somewhat tight timing
Tenko, Tenko <- easier than comboing into Orochi but less damage + stun
Tenko, QCB+LK <- least damage + stun, but sets up good pressure after

0 meter, corner
Tenko, Tenko
Tenko, QCB+LK

1 meter, midscreen
Tenko, QCB+LK, EX Tenko <-input the EX command dash immediately but slightly delay the P follow-up

1 meter, corner
Tenko, Tenko, EX DP

2 meters, midscreen
:siren: Tenko, QCB+LK, EX Tenko, EX Orochi :siren: <- highest damage without super, highest stun (349 damage, 530 stun if starting from cr.MP s.MP), strict timing
Tenko, EX Tenko, forward dash EX DP <- 3 less damage & 35 less stun than previous combo but much easier

- For the first combo the EX Tenko command dash must be done immediately but the P follow-up is delayed
- For the second combo the entire EX Tenko (command dash + follow-up) is done as fast as possible

2 meters, corner
Tenko, QCB+LK, EX Tenko, EX DP

3 meters, midscreen
Tenko, Orochi xx super <- this is a cancel, not a link
Tenko, super

3 meters, corner
Tenko, Tenko, super
Tenko, QCB+LK, super <- only a few points less damage than previous combo

Looks like a lot to learn but it's really just 1 combo per situation (meter + screen position). Many of them are just variations of each other, too. Like the 3-meter combos are the 0-meter combos but with a super at the end. If the optimal combo is too hard you can use the easier version instead.

The 0-meter ones are what you're going to be using most of the time so learn those first. The big 2-meter combo is difficult but the damage and stun are huge. It will probably be the last combo that you add to your repertoire so don't worry too much if you can't do it right away. There are also some 3-meter combos that use 3 EX specials rather than super. They do less damage than super but significantly more stun and they're also pretty hard. I think you should focus on the combos above for now.

Yeah, I've been using those 0-meter tenko + whatever combos a lot. I get clumsy with the execution on orochi, I need to work on that more. I hadn't actually thought of juggling somebody into the EX DP using tenko, so I'm definitely gonna work on that. Tenko, Tenko, Super looks good, too. I usually end up doing like qcb+LK canceled into super unless I can get somebody in the V-trigger qcf+p blender.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

The Gorp posted:

Make the gorilla a hybrid grappler/zoner and ill play exclusively JoJos.

shadow dio and some of the other characters are really cool mechanically and capcom put a lot of love into this games visuals but its a real trainwreck to actually play seriously, tandems are a strong contender for the stupidest mechanic ever put into a fighting game

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

darealkooky posted:

shadow dio and some of the other characters are really cool mechanically and capcom put a lot of love into this games visuals but its a real trainwreck to actually play seriously, tandems are a strong contender for the stupidest mechanic ever put into a fighting game

show me some hosed up tandem stuff thanks
all i know is abc x5 combos and doing ora ora super 4x for the instakill

edit:
also polnareff unblockable stuff i guess (??)

Fereydun fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Mar 17, 2016

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

tandems going into 10-30 second long combos is already stupid, and the fact that characters with tandems do so much more damage than everyone that doesn't outside of shadow dio on every hitconfirm is even worse and is a huge part of why this game is so unbalanced with 7-3 and 8-2 matchups everywhere

but what really seals it is that tandems have goddamned I frames for some reason and are essentially completely unpunishable because you can just poke out of any gap with your stand and go into your own pressure to punish any move and if they hit your stand then they usually can't get anything more after it. at specific distances they can reversal super you but in that case you just don't hit any buttons and still get to completely freeze the game for a second or so and figure out the best counter for whatever situation you're in

this is already a really insane boon that only some characters have but it gets even worse because of how fast you build meter in this game & can stock 10 bars of the stuff, plus tandem is a simple quarter circle input so it's super easy to mash

there's a lot of other wacky unblockables and other dumb poo poo (my personal favorite is that young joseph has a 9-1 matchup against old joseph because he can't avoid laser super on wakeup, meaning he automatically wins almost any round where he gets a knockdown with some meter) but tandems are by far the most hosed up because they make matches drag out way longer if you know how to be an rear end in a top hat with them

darealkooky fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Mar 17, 2016

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

i didnt even realize tandems had invin

id rather just mash out star breaker though because a safe on block potentially plus bionic arm owns

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

star breaker doesn't really work as well because it doesn't have the crazy hitstun but that's still a really good move and it lets jotaro just completely wreck a lot of matchups

I wasn't kidding about 30 second combos btw https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RpDdRTgnC10&t=133s,

e: oh yeah I forgot another stupid as hell thing about tandems, the combos you get off them will build back most/all of the bar you spent on them so at a certain critical mass of saved meter it just becomes a free option you have at any time forever

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

deadly_pudding posted:

Eh, I'm sure we'll see a patch for it. It kinda seems like they are replacing the Super/Ultra new versions thing that they did with Street Fighter IV with the Fight Money Store and patches. I hope the game-as-platform thing pans out for them. If nothing else, I really love watching this franchise on the pro esports tier, so obviously I'd like that to continue.

Mike Z said in the comments of the Event Hubs post that a patch might not be possible depending upon why the input lag exists. If it exists for the reasons he believes it does, it would take recreating SFV from scratch to get rid of the lag.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

what settings do I toggle to get the lower numbers

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Countblanc posted:

Have to edit the engine.ini file in your AppsData folder https://www.reddit.com/r/StreetFighter/comments/462a8r/engineini_quality_tweaks/

FallenGod
May 23, 2002

Unite, Afro Warriors!

So would turning off vsync in the ini and setting adaptive vsync in the nvidia drivers work or do I get to choose between:

1) vsync with input lag
2) 600 fps with eye-watering frame tearing

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

Countblanc posted:

Join the glorious PC master race.

brian
Sep 11, 2001
I obtained this title through beard tax.

zooted heh posted:

Why do yall hate sf3? It's the best one.

this guy gets it

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Corbeau posted:

Join the glorious PC master race.

i play on PC but i don't actually know about PCs so I had to ask what i needed to fix

Thank you

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

FallenGod posted:

So would turning off vsync in the ini and setting adaptive vsync in the nvidia drivers work or do I get to choose between:

1) vsync with input lag
2) 600 fps with eye-watering frame tearing

I did the vsync in the nVidia control panel and got no screen tearing at all, and anecdotally am blocking things better now. Could just be confirmation bias though.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Okay so I decided to play this game again and wow you guys were not overstating how good dashes are in this game. I definitely felt the difference when I stopped playing footsies with my feet glued to the ground and started dashing a lot more.

Am I nuts or is Nash's best anti-air just moving under the other guy (whether it's with a dash of f.lk)?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It is his best anti-air

lokipunk
Jan 16, 2007
Melty Blood was my favorite.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

inthesto posted:

Okay so I decided to play this game again and wow you guys were not overstating how good dashes are in this game. I definitely felt the difference when I stopped playing footsies with my feet glued to the ground and started dashing a lot more.

Am I nuts or is Nash's best anti-air just moving under the other guy (whether it's with a dash of f.lk)?

I feel like that's a lot of people's best anti-air

cams
Mar 28, 2003

i don't know what it is, but i feel like it is a lot easier to low profile/move under stuff in this game. at least, relative to sf4.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

cams posted:

i don't know what it is, but i feel like it is a lot easier to low profile/move under stuff in this game. at least, relative to sf4.

the lack of instantaneous, safe divekicks with invincible legs helps.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

A.o.D. posted:

gently caress SF4 forever for that, by the way.

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

This March update is so phenomenal

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.
Ugh, couldn't play all week. Played today, got disconnected and now I can't connect again. Checked everywhere and it seems like it's just me?

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

Fruitsnacks posted:

Karin combo stuff

It's also worth noting that Tenko->Vskill->immediate forward jump gives you an ambiguous crossup if they quickrise (for some of the cast pressing MK late is a crossup and pressing it earlier is non-crossup, for the rest you have to take a brief step forward before you jump to get the crossup). If they backrise instead you'll still force them to block. It loses to some invincible reversals, though.

While we're talking about Karin, why the hell does ex kicks even exist? I feel like her other moves had some kind of thought put into their creation (even if it was a bad thought) but I just can't figure out what ex kicks is supposed to be for.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

is there an input to get an instant divekick with cammy like there is for chun's air legs?

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot
Necalli is really groovin to my jam.

cougar cub posted:

This March update is so phenomenal

I'd say the March update is suppositional or potential.

Microwaves Mom fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Mar 18, 2016

fnox
May 19, 2013

Karin's Tenko with EX kick juggle puts the opponent in the corner from midscreen.

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

Do you have to tech a throw from neutral for it to go through?

Microwaves Mom posted:

Necalli is really groovin to my jam.

I'd say the March update is suppositional or potential.

Just like my real mom, you missed the internet sarcasm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

A.o.D. posted:

I miss instant TK EX cannon strike