Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

21st Cherry boy
Jan 28, 2004
i'm a girl, fucktard

Ignite Memories posted:

Once you're in 3-star land, command points are basically all that matters. Getting 4-star rewards from pvp is next to impossible with a 3 star team.

I know a couple people who get 1300+ on a 3star roster but you have invest hp for shields and time for battle chats so it's probably more trouble than it's worth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninja alamode
Apr 20, 2004

quote:

· Opponents at base level or under will only have a single power level for each of their powers. This scales up to the max level which is 13 power levels.
· Opponents shouldn’t have more than 13 Power levels at any point.

Until we see how all the balancing, ahem, balances out, this is easily the most important part to me. I hate going against enemies with all three powers maxed out.

21st Cherry boy
Jan 28, 2004
i'm a girl, fucktard
Someone pointed out that "shouldn't" doesn't mean "won't" so I'm guessing they're not too confident in their changes. That would be nice though. I'm gonna be really screwed, since there's gonna be no upper limit of enemy levels now.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Early trip report. It took three times before I got a Command Point from the final node. They are currently level 265. Cool part is they put 2 Command Points in the final node. And there's 2 in the Ghost Rider node so they've doubled the amount you can get.

fake edit: Fourth fight they went up to level 285 and I've gotten the second Point so this update gets a thumbs up from me so far. But I can see it sucking real bad if you actually try to place high or they pull a DPD fun balance and make the point tiers hell. I was already burning health packs to grind that Wolf/Shinobi/Kishu node.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
The good news: I pulled a 4 star off of a Deadpool Token and one off a Heroic Token I got from the 2* Bullseye I got off the other Deadpool Token!

The bad news: One was Ghost Rider, the other Mr. Fantastic

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

21st Cherry boy posted:

I know a couple people who get 1300+ on a 3star roster but you have invest hp for shields and time for battle chats so it's probably more trouble than it's worth.

this right here. you can be successful in pvp with 1000+ point scores with a 3* roster, but it's a huge investment in time and your have to be familiar with a significant amount of outside the game meta-knowledge (battle chats, etc.) which is a really shitball way of running the system. pvp shouldn't be the sole domain of children and the unemployed.

personally i like the proposed changes so far. i play extremely casually, and trying to line-up the 8 hr clears was frustrating because of real life scheduling. i'll have to see how the event plays out, but i don't think i ever clear a single pve node more than 3 times anyway, so this sounds like a net gain to me.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
Every legendary I pulled has given me a different 4*. I'm now at 10 with 1 cover. What poo poo.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Bummer, dude, that must be extremely frustrating.

I've drawn a lot of invisible women but a overall I have a bunch of decent repeats. I've got 5 Wolvies, 4 Fisk, 3 Fosthor, 3 Cyclops, 3 Antmans, 3 Rhulks, 2 Deadspool, 2 G Riders, 2 Hulkbusters, 2 Jeans, an Iceman, a Thing and a Venom. I'm hoping I can get some of these guys going without maxing all the 3-stars, because there's a lot of them I just have no interest in. So far every titan i've tried has demolished me, so that's still kind of a pipe dream.

The champ count is now up to Black Panther, GSBW, Steve Rogers, Bullseye and CMags. I've got almost enough iso to promote Luke Cage, Grocket or Daredevil next. I have grocket covers sitting around but I still think I'd rather bring up Luke Cage first. Grocket can be nice for tanking pve but he's just not that reliable overall.

Also, is Daredevil not that great, or is it just me? He seems like more of a niche pick, like how I used to use ** Danvers for busting BullsHawks and other defense tile creators. But I use ***Bullseye for that now, and he's great at it. Steve also does this job in a pinch.

Ignite Memories fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Mar 17, 2016

CidGregor
Sep 27, 2009

TG: if i were you i would just take that fucking devilbeast out behind the woodshed and blow its head off

Ignite Memories posted:

Also, is Daredevil not that great, or is it just me? He seems like more of a niche pick, like how I used to use ** Danvers for busting BullsHawks and other defense tile creators. But I use ***Bullseye for that now, and he's great at it. Steve also does this job in a pinch.

Daredevil is actually really good when you realize Ambush is a decoy and he's actually much better as a utility character than a direct damage dealer. Billy Club at max ranks can virtually stun-lock an enemy hero, and Radar Sense is amazing at dealing with hard-to-reach enemy special tiles. He especially shines at both of these things in Enemy of the State, which just so happens to be starting right now; either he stuns Teisatsus to block them from smoking out attack tiles on death, or he Radar Senses them away (along with Kishu's protect and strike tiles), and he can also often keep the enemy team from ever matching tiles with Billy Club stun-locking since except for that middle chapter there's only ever a single matchmaking enemy, Wolverine or Gorgon. Pair him with Storm for the rainbow and to poo poo out dozens of attack tiles with Hailstorm to erase Kishus' Caltrops traps and you can steamroll most of the event.

You probably want a pure damage dealer to go with them too, preferably one with a good red power since you'll be trying to match them a lot to clear enemy countdown tiles anyway and those will often overwrite Daredevil's Ambush tiles too so you won't want to use him for that. Cyclops is probably a good choice since he feeds himself and you might get lucky now and then with the random row destruction.

CidGregor fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Mar 17, 2016

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Ignite Memories posted:

His pink is solid for destroying tiles and doing damage but Bullseye's is better. His real strength is the stun, which if you can get two of them going at once will basically lock down a character permanently.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

I don't know why this didn't occur to me sooner, but 3* hulk and 3* capt marvel have very similar powers in that they take damage and generate AP. I would much rather have 3* hulk just straight give me 5 green AP and still deal team damage than make a countdown tile (which can be stalled / removed) and have it turn random tiles green (which might make a match, but it also might do nothing, or actively ruin another match 4 or 5 you could have made, or remove a special tile on a match 4 or 5 you didn't want removed, etc).

am I in the minority here? hulk is one of my favorite characters in the comics, and it bugs me that his best use in this is a niche green battery for GSBW. turning his black into direct green AP wouldn't fix his busted red and green, but I think it'd be better than how it's currently set up.

edit: hulk smash should be like ares green / hb red (obviously not as good as hb red, but same idea).

CidGregor
Sep 27, 2009

TG: if i were you i would just take that fucking devilbeast out behind the woodshed and blow its head off
Speaking of Daredevil's stun, does it seem to anyone else like you occasionally get a free tick of the countdown tile? I've noticed that sometimes when I only have one such tile out the enemy will sometimes get a turn between stuns but then sometimes they don't. I'm pretty sure the description is a two turn stun and a 3 turn countdown, so where is this free tick coming from?

My best guess is that when the tile refreshes and moves, because of the way the game resolves countdown tiles (left to right, and top to bottom), if the new tile is spawned further down the line than the original it gets a free tick off its timer when the resolving algorithm reaches it, even though it had just been created. I haven't experimented enough to confirm this though.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

I'm not digging the increased baseline levels of the enemy nodes in the new enemy of the state pvp. I used to get the first 3 - 4 nodes of opponents around level 30 - 50 and I could quickly stomp through them. now the starter nodes are 110 - 150 and it's taking longer to work through.

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."
I picked up two 5 star Spiderman covers. Should I level him up, or keep working on my lower level guys?

OldNorthBridge
Jul 23, 2003

Take your medicine!

homeless poster posted:

I'm not digging the increased baseline levels of the enemy nodes in the new enemy of the state pvp. I used to get the first 3 - 4 nodes of opponents around level 30 - 50 and I could quickly stomp through them. now the starter nodes are 110 - 150 and it's taking longer to work through.

Is the difficulty supposed to go up if you lose? I wasn't thinking that the difficulty on the early nodes was as high as it was and got smoked on the 2nd node and now I can't beat it. gently caress Strength in Numbers hitting for 5k every 4 turns.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

BROCK LESBIAN posted:

The good news: I pulled a 4 star off of a Deadpool Token and one off a Heroic Token I got from the 2* Bullseye I got off the other Deadpool Token!

The bad news: One was Ghost Rider, the other Mr. Fantastic

Yeah I looked at the DPD and for the first time ever banked my tokens. Both 4* are Mr. Fantastic, and I think a bunch of the 3* are Sentry.

ninja alamode
Apr 20, 2004

No more easy nodes makes me think once again the main impetus behind the update was "people aren't using enough health packs".

Call Me Charlie posted:

Early trip report. It took three times before I got a Command Point from the final node. They are currently level 265. Cool part is they put 2 Command Points in the final node. And there's 2 in the Ghost Rider node so they've doubled the amount you can get.

fake edit: Fourth fight they went up to level 285 and I've gotten the second Point so this update gets a thumbs up from me so far. But I can see it sucking real bad if you actually try to place high or they pull a DPD fun balance and make the point tiers hell. I was already burning health packs to grind that Wolf/Shinobi/Kishu node.

This threw me the first time I saw it too. There are two CP on those nodes only because it's a two day sub-event. Any one day events (should) only have one CP per the top nodes after this.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
I check back every now and then to see if they made any positive changes to this game. I guess I'll have to check in later...

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Snazzy Frocks posted:

I check back every now and then to see if they made any positive changes to this game. I guess I'll have to check in later...

I popped back in for about a month, got mad again and left.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

ghostwritingduck posted:

I picked up two 5 star Spiderman covers. Should I level him up, or keep working on my lower level guys?

above anything else, you're better off using the iso on non-5* heroes unless you're already at the 5* tier. the amount of iso that is needed to power up a 5* is beastly, and if your roster is on the lower end, you'll get much more mileage out of improving your 2* / 3* heroes than dumping a drop into the bucket that is leveling up a 5* hero. it's still a good idea to roster them though, because 5* is the endgame in terms of content and they can still plow through mook waves off match damage very well.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Champion Mystique/Daredevil/Quicksilver is a devastating pair in the Blind Justice tournament. No strike/defense tiles which makes enemy Daredevil's pink useless, Blue feeds Daredevil's stun baton and make Supersonic tiles, 2651 damage with green Fists Of Fury, 4111 (or 7396) damage with red Ambush tiles, Mystique's pink stuns and Masterstroke does 8562 damage. Plus Supersonic does 2556 to the entire enemy team and you can (last resort) use Idle Hands to move red tiles to trigger Ambush tiles.

One of the rare times that a decent amount of people lose to the AI team when they attack me.

Superterranean
May 3, 2005

after we lit this one, nothing was ever the same

Call Me Charlie posted:

One of the rare times that a decent amount of people lose to the AI team when they attack me.

Another dumb trick for winning AI fights is to use carnage red and teen Jean purple as your teamups. People don't spend much time looking at the AI teamup, and those two can be a real kick in the teeth.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Superterranean posted:

Another dumb trick for winning AI fights is to use carnage red and teen Jean purple as your teamups. People don't spend much time looking at the AI teamup, and those two can be a real kick in the teeth.

can you affect which team-up power is chosen when you are on defense? i thought the game picked more or less randomly, and not always from a pool of heroes that you even have to actually have recruited. you don't get replay data from your defense matches, so how would you even know which team-up power someone else faced when losing to you?

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Can't AI only use a single Team-Up repeatedly anyways?

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Can't AI only use a single Team-Up repeatedly anyways?

1/match which is why, if you see the opponent has a really obnoxious team-up, it's a strategy to try and give them all the team-up AP right off the bat so they will use the team-up when the impact is relatively small (i.e. ghost rider black)

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Did the new scaling somehow bleed over into DPD, or was today's 3* just extra-lovely feeling because of that first-wave symbiote spree?

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."
The new story mode is NOT fun. It's a lot harder with less rewards.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

ghostwritingduck posted:

The new story mode is NOT fun. It's a lot harder with less rewards.

Most optimal way to play now is every 5 hours instead of every 8. Basically clear as much as you can on 10 health packs and repeat once they've refreshed. I sort of like the new format, but the starting scaling was definitely way to high.

Edit: Took me 12 of 14 possible clears to get the command points...ugh.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

whomever said earlier that a roster on the 3* > 4* transition only cares about CP rewards was on the loving money. it seems like the progression reward break points were doubled / tripled in EotS to compensate for the fact that you can clear a wave up to 5 times without the match points decaying. who the gently caress thought 6500 points for the lovely All AP Boost was a good idea? it only gets worse from there. grind out the CP rewards on the 4* featured node and the end node and call it a day.

edit: the top 10 finishes are for x-force wolverine lol what the gently caress who is grinding out top 10 finish points in this insane bracketing for x-force wolverine

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Just had a nice Heroic pull out of my 10 pack and single.

4* Deadpool, 3* Storm/Spiderman/Hulk and a couple 2* champion fodder.

- edit I'm back to hating this new update. Barely eek out a win and get 70 hp. Plus the team designed to drain your health packs goes up 20 levels so now they're generating red and their specials do 2000+ damage. Great :jerkbag:

At least with the old grind you's get a bunch of HP going through the first time before you had to grind the Command Point nodes. And you'd get a 3* character for your overall trouble.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Mar 19, 2016

Superterranean
May 3, 2005

after we lit this one, nothing was ever the same
Today's enchilada:
Teisatsu Teisatsu Teisatsu
Sentry sentry grenadier
Moonstone wolverine 2* magneto
Ragnarok beast falcon

The second node has gamora in both waves, too, so watch out for that.

Superterranean fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Mar 19, 2016

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood

S.W.O.R.D. Agent posted:

Most optimal way to play now is every 5 hours instead of every 8. Basically clear as much as you can on 10 health packs and repeat once they've refreshed. I sort of like the new format, but the starting scaling was definitely way to high.

Edit: Took me 12 of 14 possible clears to get the command points...ugh.

actually optimal is doing all the clears as soon and fast as possible, including the first point reduced one, then wait for it to restore, then grind.

So its worse.

the game is BAD and the developers actively make it WORSE and I don't even think they've played this game for more than 10 minutes in the past year.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

SectumSempra posted:

actually optimal is doing all the clears as soon and fast as possible, including the first point reduced one, then wait for it to restore, then grind.

So its worse.

the game is BAD and the developers actively make it WORSE and I don't even think they've played this game for more than 10 minutes in the past year.

they just keep moving the goal posts, which super-sucks. if they had just implemented the new PVE point system "5x thru node points don't decay, then points decay for 24 hr periods" and didn't change anything else about the enemy level scaling or difficulty or reward tiers or anything, I think that change itself would be good. I think reducing the total amount of point decay is a net benefit for casual players because they aren't likely the people who were doing the perfect 8 hr clears, and it doesn't really change anything for the super competitive people because they're going to do whatever it takes to get the maximum number of points no matter what.

instead the overall changes taken as a whole make each reward tier even more difficult for casual players to clear, and do very little to impact the top-end competitive people. I know whales are the people who keep the servers turned on, but I don't understand why you'd want to actively turn off casual players. the nickel and dime purchases have to add up to something, but you have to give the illusion that they have a chance at making progress.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
We have another open slot in Bone Rangers if anybody needs an alliance.

ninja alamode
Apr 20, 2004

Gotta say I like Ghost Rider after getting him to 5 black, and would probably champ him if he had even one other good power. As is his only good power is independent of level, so the only reason to level him is to have the HP to survive until you can use black effectively. Oh well, at least I can hand out one of the best team-ups now.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

I think it's sort of ridiculous that they coded his black to be totally useless in survival nodes.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

it's so weird, I never thought I would miss the old method of pve, but holy gently caress am I done with the new version of scaling. having easy nodes start with foes around level 150 makes everything a grind. i'll win, sure, but it's drawn out and un-fun, and then the best part is you get some insulting amount of points like 113 reward points. you can look at the required hero nodes and see slightly better returns (enemy levels start 130-ish and reward points are 500+) but they tripled the reward point tiers, so even if you grind the hell out of the required nodes, it still takes forever.

also, their timing of these new changes on the enemy of the state pve was catastrophically bad. the pve that has you fight almost 100% gently caress you ninjas and a boosted 2* wolverine is not the best environment to test pve changes that pretty uniformly screw over the casual player.

OldNorthBridge
Jul 23, 2003

Take your medicine!

homeless poster posted:

it's so weird, I never thought I would miss the old method of pve, but holy gently caress am I done with the new version of scaling. having easy nodes start with foes around level 150 makes everything a grind. i'll win, sure, but it's drawn out and un-fun, and then the best part is you get some insulting amount of points like 113 reward points. you can look at the required hero nodes and see slightly better returns (enemy levels start 130-ish and reward points are 500+) but they tripled the reward point tiers, so even if you grind the hell out of the required nodes, it still takes forever.

also, their timing of these new changes on the enemy of the state pve was catastrophically bad. the pve that has you fight almost 100% gently caress you ninjas and a boosted 2* wolverine is not the best environment to test pve changes that pretty uniformly screw over the casual player.

These are pretty much my impressions too. The initial scaling is way too high. I'm thankful, in a way. The changes, in this revision, make it so I don't want to play PVE at all. I'm sure they will get a lot of negative feedback and adjust accordingly. I don't mind the changes themselves, just the initial scaling is hosed.

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

At the very beginning of the experiment, guys started much lower so you could make a few passes through a node for fun. Guess too many non-whales were benefiting from it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

intangible posted:

These are pretty much my impressions too. The initial scaling is way too high. I'm thankful, in a way. The changes, in this revision, make it so I don't want to play PVE at all. I'm sure they will get a lot of negative feedback and adjust accordingly. I don't mind the changes themselves, just the initial scaling is hosed.

if all they did was reset everything to old pve except reward points didn't decay for the first 5 passes on a node, that would be a huge quality of life improvement.

I have zero faith that what they will ultimately implement will resemble that kind of change. it's funny because the pve reward tiers got pushed so high; the first 2* cover is at something like 11k points. at 100-ish points/round on a non-required node? get the gently caress out of here. oh you can grind the nodes 5 times before they decay! I thought the expressed intent of this update was to make the game more playable and less grind-y.

edit: also the changes to enemy scaling seem to have exaggerated the problems with having heroes leveled intermittently. either you want baseline level heroes with max covers or you want 5* heroes at max level so that you supposedly overshoot the level cap. even a 3* champion in the mid 200s isn't going to wipe an enemy in the mid 100s out in one move. it's still too much of a slog.

Freaking Crumbum fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Mar 21, 2016