Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

SedanChair posted:

As much as fishmech acts like a corn lobbyist without the charm or tact, he's got a point. Have you ever looked at recipes from the '50s? Jesus Christ. But what has changed is portions and intake. Look at what is considered a single serving cookie or muffin, or how you get a literal quart of soda with your (now enormous) burger and fries. Caloric intake is the one variable that seems to apply in almost every case.

Portions, intake, and the vast majority of jobs no longer requiring heavy manual labor doesn't help either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Less than 24 hours before Jrode is un-probated! :toot:

Maybe we can replace him with fishmech

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Mornacale posted:

Maybe we can replace him with fishmech

You mean probate fishmech instead of jrod? Because I am 1000% down with this proposition.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I warned you all. You fools!

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Who What Now posted:

You mean probate fishmech instead of jrod? Because I am 1000% down with this proposition.

Same

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

SedanChair posted:

As much as fishmech acts like a corn lobbyist without the charm or tact, he's got a point.

fishmech(and you) are wrong.

This is not a difficult question.

We have very strong data on both average calorie consumption and calories expended. The latter has gone down a little. The former has gone up immensely. It's more calories eaten far more than it's less calories burned.

We also have data on how calories are consumed on a per meal basis. The vast increase has come in the form of 'snacks'. Here: https://dash.harvard.edu/bitstream/handle/1/2640583/cutler_obese.pdf?sequence=2

For women, the amount of non-snack calories consumed actually decreased since the 70s, it was just swamped by the increase in snack calories. And needless to say, the idea that the way food is produced and marketed has not changed since the 50s is ludicrously wrong as should be obvious to anyone who has been in any supermarket in America.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

That was fishmech's entire point.

Congratulations on saying someone is wrong and then literally repeating their point.

The only potential point you have is about production/marketing and if you'd read Vance Packard's Hidden Persuaders you'd know that the entire marketing method was born back then.

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Stinkier than your average bear
Lipstick Apathy

Tesseraction posted:

That was fishmech's entire point.

Congratulations on saying someone is wrong and then literally repeating their point.

The only potential point you have is about production/marketing and if you'd read Vance Packard's Hidden Persuaders you'd know that the entire marketing method was born back then.

The problem is that fishmech rejects all narratives that hope to elucidate more about the point. This whole time he's basically just said that if someone can afford to overeat (which costs less than 20 bucks per week if you eat just rice), they simply estimate how much food they need, and usually overshoot and, most importantly, never update their estimate according to their observations. Why some people overshoot and others do not, to fishmech, is ineffable.

Guess what, fishmech, "people eat more now" is as much of a semantic stop sign for you as "processing" is for raw milkers.

Stinky_Pete fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Mar 17, 2016

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Stinky_Pete posted:

The problem is [...] fishmech

:agreed:

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Guess who's free and almost certainly furiously masturbating typing up a storm as we speak?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Who What Now posted:

Guess who's free and almost certainly furiously masturbating typing up a storm as we speak?

Some sort of huge racist?

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Who What Now posted:

:peanut:

Caros
May 14, 2008

Who What Now posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYnzEeIbWjs

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Who What Now posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RR3VcKuMQY&t=50s

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

I'll save us all some time.

Source

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

PSA: it is immoral for the government to deny my right to eat the still-living flesh of crying babies, they signed the contract so they know what they were getting into

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

QuarkJets posted:

PSA: it is immoral for the government to deny my right to eat the still-living flesh of crying babies, they signed the contract so they know what they were getting into
I thought the libertarian line was that you aren't allowed to kill or eat or torture a baby because that's aggression, but you can't be held accountable for letting the child die through neglect.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Nessus posted:

I thought the libertarian line was that you aren't allowed to kill or eat or torture a baby because that's aggression, but you can't be held accountable for letting the child die through neglect.

Yeah, you can eat the baby after it is dead, but eating live babies is a no no.

Unfortunately it won't have much meat on its bones if you starve it to death. :sigh:

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Nessus posted:

Nonono, you see, the babies signed a contract with Mr. QuarkJets to be eaten alive so it's fiiiine

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Caros posted:

Yeah, you can eat the baby after it is dead, but eating live babies is a no no.

Unfortunately it won't have much meat on its bones if you starve it to death. :sigh:

Sounds like nanny state pandering to me, two consenting individuals should be able to do whatever they want so long as it doesn't violate the non-aggression principle. Maybe the baby asked me to remove, cook, and eat one of its arms. You don't know. Frankly, in that case it would be a violation of the NAP to not eat baby flesh.

I'm sick of you loving STATISTS trying to throw me in a cage just for helping children

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Jrode is unprobated. Any bets on when he makes a new post/thread making GBS threads up SA? :toot:

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Not soon enough. I want my laughs damnit.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Tesseraction posted:

Not soon enough. I want my laughs damnit.

I'm kind of hoping tonight. My girlfriend works late and I'm bored.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

jrod will appear whenever the prophecies say he will appear. It is known

Or maybe in a couple more months, he needs time to craft a new opening salvo of pseudointellectual horse piss that includes at least one naively racist comment and at least one allusion to the fascist surveillance state DRO community for which he openly pines

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Caros posted:

When will you tell her that your heart belongs to another...?

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
jrod is never late. He is never early. He arrives precisely when he means to. And by that when the melon store runs out and he gets bored.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Caros posted:

Caros glances over to a picture on his night stand... a picture of jrod

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Caros posted:

"May you live in interesting times"

Caros
May 14, 2008

QuarkJets posted:

He is just so goddamn handsome. I can't resist it. Its like looking at a more handsome prince Harry.

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

QuarkJets posted:

Please don't post any passages from my fanfic, that is my intellectual property ty

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

QuarkJets posted:

...printed out from hotornot.com

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Twerkteam Pizza posted:

Please don't post any passages from my fanfic, that is my intellectual property ty

Ideas should be free. If you can't gently caress it mix your labor with it, you can't own it.

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

YF19pilot posted:

Ideas should be free. If you can't gently caress it mix your labor with it, you can't own it.

*ignores creative input as a factor of intellectual production*

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Twerkteam Pizza posted:

*ignores creative input as a factor of intellectual production*

No, but see, I have the ability to print more and distribute better than you, ergo ipso facto ixnay on the ombbay, I have more right to your work than you because of the first principles of *wet fart*

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Could you all please try to be a little more thirsty for jrod to come back? Thanks

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

QuarkJets posted:

Caros
May 14, 2008

I am beginning to worry the next step of this joke is slash fanfiction.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

I saw that there were 150 new posts in this thread and I figured it could mean only one thing, but nope. My heart swelled with joy at the thought of the prodigal son returning...only to see it crushed upon the realization that this new traffic was generated by Fischmench. :smith:

...though this comic did help a tad with the disappointment.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Mr Interweb posted:

...though this comic did help a tad with the disappointment.

"Hark! A Vagrant!" is a great comic that I always forget exists. The artist is a big history/Canadian nerd, and although I'm American and know little of Canada's politics, I find her Deifenbaker(spelling?) comics quite amusing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

YF19pilot posted:

"Hark! A Vagrant!" is a great comic that I always forget exists. The artist is a big history/Canadian nerd, and although I'm American and know little of Canada's politics, I find her Deifenbaker(spelling?) comics quite amusing.

The founding fathers in the future ones are pretty good too.

(the first panel may be libertarian applicable)