Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

EvilElmo posted:

Post your watch.

Greens voted with the Liberals to stop a vote on marriage equality last night.

Wasn't it a debate they voted to stop, not a vote on the legislation itself?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sick of Applebees
Nov 7, 2008

gay picnic defence posted:

Shhh... Let's not let facts get in the way of his spin against the Green Menace

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009

Leyonhjelm moved a motion to bring on the vote for marriage equality, the bill already tabled by the Greens.

Greens and coalition voted it down.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Interesting how none of your failed attacks on the Greens this week considered any of this, or indeed the bigger picture.

The ALP supported the report recommending above the line OPV. They supported the abolition of GVTs.

Obviously the reforms are an issue for the cross-bench senators. In the face of the LNP and Greens supporting the senate voting reforms, the ALP decided to make a song and dance about how they no longer support the reforms. Maybe this helps them in negotiations with the cross-bench on other issues. You may consider this "playing politics."

Added to this, the LNP sought the ABCC as a DD trigger, which the Greens don't support. So now the Greens might be kind of stuck in supporting what is independently a good measure, but one which would allow the government to probably pass a bad measure.

Instead of even considering this, EvilElmo, you and the other party hacks jumped immediately to childish name-calling, which is unbecoming to everybody and only serves to highlight the shallowness of your intellect.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Ket posted:

Shhh... Let's not let facts get in the way of his spin against the Green Menace

And didn't the ALP vote down the same thing literally a day later for some reason?

asio
Nov 29, 2008

"Also Sprach Arnold Jacobs: A Developmental Guide for Brass Wind Musicians" refers to the mullet as an important tool for professional cornet playing and box smashing black and blood

EvilElmo posted:

Post your watch.

Greens voted with the Liberals to stop a vote on marriage equality last night.

Are there any political issues you're concerned about or are you just not keen on any of the professional sports we play?

Bill Shorten promises full equality, comrade https://imgur.com/gyaT6Ov

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009

Birdstrike posted:

Interesting how none of your failed attacks on the Greens this week considered any of this, or indeed the bigger picture.

The ALP supported the report recommending above the line OPV. They supported the abolition of GVTs.

Stopped reading after this.

The ALP didnt support it. The member on the committee supported it. The party room voted against it. I believe only 1 member supported it in the party room.

If you cant get the basics right, why should I read the rest?

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

"I promise..." *checks watch*

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

Birdstrike posted:

Added to this, the LNP sought the ABCC as a DD trigger, which the Greens don't support. So now the Greens might be kind of stuck in supporting what is independently a good measure, but one which would allow the government to probably pass a bad measure.

It's a pretty big assumption that an election on workplace relations will be at the current 53/47 2pp, if there is one issue where labor seem to cut through with during elections it's workplace relations.

norp fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Mar 18, 2016

RC Bandit
Sep 7, 2012

Hanson: It's Time

Grimey Drawer
EvilElmo, what's your opinion on the ramblings of Senator Collins in today's senate session?

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

EvilElmo posted:

Stopped reading after this.

The ALP didnt support it. The member on the committee supported it. The party room voted against it. I believe only 1 member supported it in the party room.

If you cant get the basics right, why should I read the rest?

The report was unanimous and the committee had 4 ALP members on it.

Try again, idiot.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

quote:

Labor’s Glenn Sterle, to Cormann:

Don’t give me orders, you big Belgian waffle!

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/murpharoo/status/710590683799629825

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009

Birdstrike posted:

The report was unanimous and the committee had 4 ALP members on it.

Try again, idiot.

Haha. There is literally a section on dissenting view from the ALP in the report. Signed by 3 of the ALP.

Try again, idiot.

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009

Romeo Charlie posted:

EvilElmo, what's your opinion on the ramblings of Senator Collins in today's senate session?

None. Havent seen it but read one bit that the Greens were pissed because she implied Rhiannon was losing her mental function?

If thats what your asking me about. Whatever.

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

make australia great again as well please
"We want to draw attention to the Greens supporting the coalitions drive for a dd. This is best achieved by publicly claiming the Greens are against marriage equality"

turdbucket
Oct 30, 2011
This is honestly the hardest I have seen Labor fight for anything in my life so far.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
All of this stunt pulling does nothing but drag the opinion of Australian's about our political processes further down hill. Meanwhile:

http://www.foodbank.org.au/hunger-in-australia/the-facts/

quote:

Are there really hungry people in Australia?

Yes there are, but hunger is largely a hidden social problem and many victims suffer in silence. Each year two million people rely on food relief – around half of them are children. That’s one in every ten Australians in need.

Despite almost two decades of economic growth nearly a quarter of Australians still live in low economic resource households and 10% live in actual poverty. The prices of essentials like food, health, education, housing, utilities and transport have climbed so much in recent years that people who are already struggling are susceptible to sudden bill shock and financial disadvantage.The current economic climate means people are turning to charity who would never have dreamed of seeking such support in the past. So it’s not just traditionally vulnerable groups such as the homeless seeking food relief, but also the aged, single parents and the working poor.

Children, a casual worker or an elderly couple could be going hungry in any given street. When bills have to be paid, food becomes a discretionary item.

Some statistics about the unlucky people in our lucky country:

105,000 people are currently homeless
2.2 million Australians live in poverty
10.9% of children live in poverty
1 in 4 pensioners live in or close to poverty

Charities are experiencing an alarming increase in demand. According to the Foodbank Hunger Report 2014, in the last twelve months there has been an 8% increase in the number of people seeking food assistance. Charities report that every month they are turning away almost 60,000 Australians seeking food relief due to lack of food and resources.

Some useful references:

http://www.homelessnessclearinghouse.govspace.gov.au

http://www.abs.gov.au/AUSSTATS/

http://www.acoss.org.au

http://www.unicef.org.au
I don't post this to get you to open your wallets and send poo poo to foodbank I post it because it is utterly unacceptable that one of the richest nations in the world has this underclass. Those 10.9% of children aren't lazy. Those 2.2 million people aren't all unemployable bludgers. Having your nation require charities to bail out the disadvantaged says that your government has failed. Vote all of these arse spits out. We need better.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

EvilElmo posted:

Haha. There is literally a section on dissenting view from the ALP in the report. Signed by 3 of the ALP.

Try again, idiot.

Different report.

I mean I've literally given you two lines of attack on the greens but you're too dumb to see them

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009

turdbucket posted:

This is honestly the hardest I have seen Labor fight for anything in my life so far.

It is bad reform to fix a problem that doesnt exist for the benefit of 2 political parties. If it was an ALP/LNP benefit the Greens would be angry.

It paves the way for a DD that will enable the LNP push through some bad legislation including killing clean energy finance.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Hey remember when we were supposed to help resettle 12000 Syrian refugees?

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-03-17/29-refugees-resettled-under-government-12000-intake/7254784

We still have some way to go

quote:

Mr Dutton today said a total of 29 refugees had been resettled as part of that intake

This is from when it was announced in September last year. 7 months to settle 29 people. What the gently caress

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

turdbucket posted:

Yeah, now that you mention it. poo poo, I think this is the hardest I've seen ANY Australian politicians fight this hard for anything.

And it's to delegitimize a perceived enemy and potential voting reform that modeling says is a marginal improvement in representation. That's all. Not even to actually fight them either, just to poo poo all over them. What a waste of everybody's time.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
Still a marked improvement on the Cambodian deal :thumbsup:

asio
Nov 29, 2008

"Also Sprach Arnold Jacobs: A Developmental Guide for Brass Wind Musicians" refers to the mullet as an important tool for professional cornet playing and box smashing black and blood

EvilElmo posted:

It is bad reform to fix a problem that doesnt exist for the benefit of 2 political parties. If it was an ALP/LNP benefit the Greens would be angry.

It paves the way for a DD that will enable the LNP push through some bad legislation including killing clean energy finance.

A labor government is as equally terrifying as a liberal government, find something actually scary

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Cleretic posted:

Yeah, now that you mention it. poo poo, I think this is the hardest I've seen ANY Australian politicians fight this hard for anything.

And it's to delegitimize a perceived enemy and potential voting reform that modeling says is a marginal improvement in representation. That's all. Not even to actually fight them either, just to poo poo all over them. What a waste of everybody's time.

I guess there's a fair bit at stake for them. I assume they're still scarred from the minority government experience of a few years ago, plus there's the DD and the ABCC which presumably ceases to have support if the LNP can't hang the threat of a DD over the cross bench senators.

Am I correct in thinking that if the senate reforms don't get passed this sitting the AEC won't have time to implement the changes before the DD window closes?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

In more coal is good for humanity news:

quote:

The world’s largest private coal mining company is teetering on the edge of bankruptcy, driven to the brink of collapse by plummeting energy prices around the world, cheaper and less polluting rivals such as natural gas, and widespread economic uncertainty.

US mining giant Peabody Energy announced in New York on Wednesday that it is facing the prospect of filing for bankruptcy protection, a legal strategy to shield it from its creditors while it restructures, after failing to make a routine interest payment on its debts.

The company, based in St Louis, Missouri, is a huge presence in American and Australian mining and was owned for a time during the 1990s by Britain’s Hanson plc industrial conglomerate.

Peabody Energy’s share price dived 43% on the New York Stock Exchange on Wednesday morning when the company revealed its difficulties to the market regulator the US Securities and Exchange Commission.

The share price plunged to $2.28 in morning trading. The company’s shares have already lost half their value in the last three months and 97% over the past year. The stock had previously hit a high of $299 a share in the first quarter of 2014.

The company said that it failed to make a $71m interest payment due on Tuesday and had a 30-day deadline to come up with the funds or there was a “substantial doubt” that it could continue as a going concern.

Anyone know how many Australian mines they own?

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Anyone know how many Australian mines they own?

"Not enough" - T Abbott

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:

asio posted:

A labor government is as equally terrifying as a liberal government, find something actually scary

A liberal government with control of both houses is loving terrifying. People should stop being disingenuous. It's an actual possible situation if a DD is called soon.

People in this thread are already seriously anxious about dealing with cebtrelink and finding work. The lnp with control of both houses would have pushed through all the horrible poo poo from their first budget.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...

Burn Down Canberra posted:

A liberal government with control of both houses is loving terrifying. People should stop being disingenuous. It's an actual possible situation if a DD is called soon.

People in this thread are already seriously anxious about dealing with cebtrelink and finding work. The lnp with control of both houses would have pushed through all the horrible poo poo from their first budget.

They're accelerationists pushing for a revolution.

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth

lol no it's not.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Any party controlling the upper house and lower house in a DD is inconceivable. In fact the reason people are so hesitant to call DD's is because only half a quota is required to being elected to the senate as opposed to a full quota means its much much much easier for third parties to get elected.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
So the ALP wants to block it because they find the prospect of more greens taking up ALP born to rule senate seats terrifying.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
also lol Leyonhjelm on his fillibustering amendments tried to add an amendment to make voting voluntary

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer
Can someone break down for me why the Greens might oppose an amendment to limit political donations? The Guardian implies it's just a tactical error on their part.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Gorbash posted:

Can someone break down for me why the Greens might oppose an amendment to limit political donations? The Guardian implies it's just a tactical error on their part.

If it gets added to the legislation the Liberal's may (or would probably) oppose the senate reforms thus stopping the legislation dead in its tracks. It's another wedge, though I can't understand why the Guardian says it's a missed opportunity unless they believe the Liberal's would pass the amendment without question anyway.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
If there is a Joint Sitting they can pass whatever they want. No guarantee of that though, even if there is a DD.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Good job sending a letter in when no one's reading.

Today's print edition of The Age appears to have a front cover that's just a Domain ad.

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth

Anidav posted:

So the ALP wants to block it because they find the prospect of more greens taking up ALP born to rule senate seats terrifying.

The ALP knew the voting reform was going to pass whether they supported it or not, so they decided to use it as an opportunity to get some ammo against the greens for the election.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Can anyone link some news articles or sources pre-2014 that illustrate Labor being for senate voting reform before they were against it? It's difficult to pin down with searches as everything after 2015 is the gang of three - Stephen Conroy, Penny Wong, Sam Dastyari - who began Labor's turn around on Senate voting.

• Locked thread