Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark

Soylent Pudding posted:

From my just barely hanging on in EW classic difficulty perspective it looks like you've been playing amazingly well. Would you mind explaining what poor decision making happened in the early months?

I think the strategic game has been solid for most of the campaign. But I didn't fight UFOs extremely well, especially in March. It was pretty bad luck destroying a UFO, but another escaped and I don't remember why but I think I could have prevented it. I let the air game languish too long before making the decision to go to phoenix cannons, and honestly I should have found a way to stick to laser cannons. I think part of the decision that went into phoenix cannons was that I expanded to South America, which I could not defend, and though we're not exactly in a bad situation with South America (they get panic, don't leave because they get another satellite shot down), I'm spending way more than they're worth building new satellites for them every month and stationing an air force over there.

I probably should have done a base assault earlier. I should have not bothered putting satellites over South America, and instead focused on Asia. The aliens have had too many countries for too long and they've been getting research and resource boosts from those countries since the very beginning. In the end, I'm going to be kind of cheesy on the base assault we're about to do, and I probably should have considered these cheesy tactics a long, long time ago, to prevent loss of life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
How far are you from the next level of armors?

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Affi posted:

How far are you from the next level of armors?

He's got literally like two days I think.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

...then has to afford and build enough to equip a useful fraction of the squad.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Teledahn posted:

...then has to afford and build enough to equip a useful fraction of the squad.

Too bad he doesn't have a giant haul of elerium and alloys from landed ships to put towards that.

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03mMtHH7YAQ

Part 4 of stream

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Oh hey, this thread just hit 1 year! Time flies, keep up the good work Booty and Kidney.

64bitrobot
Apr 20, 2009

Likes to Lurk
I watched for two minutes and you had already made the correct choice.

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark

Youtube Link

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Spoilered because mission is just above: Bloody good job there.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

Fat Samurai posted:

Spoilered because mission is just above: Bloody good job there.

Not really? I mean he got really sloppy at the end and could've easily lost a soldier. I am impressed he didn't use killaliens though, I totally would've flipped that switch.

Looking forward to the next few missions. Will be interesting! Also will you be prioritizing your new armor as it becomes available?

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Affi posted:

Not really? I mean he got really sloppy at the end and could've easily lost a soldier. I am impressed he didn't use killaliens though, I totally would've flipped that switch.

Looking forward to the next few missions. Will be interesting! Also will you be prioritizing your new armor as it becomes available?

I'm going to hazard a guess and say absolutely; the next tier of armor is dramatically better than what we have now.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Sheesh, what a long rear end mission with only 30 aliens. Stupid hiding Mutons. It's also a shame you didn't move Classtoise and Chaos, but it worked out fine. On to the next mission crawling with crazies.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

:negative: That teflon-coated outsider at 10 minutes in.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Now I want to see a scenario where the landed UFO starts up towards the end of the fight and you either have to get your guys out of there before it takes off, or pile everyone on board and kill the pilot to bring it back down.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

The highlight of that video is Booty totally forgetting Navigators have LR. Don' t blame Tom, blame yourself you darn forgetful commander! :argh:

Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

Thats three of ours innit...to one of yours. You know mate I really think we ought to even up the average!
That Outsider with the lightning reflexes must have been my alien equivalent?

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

SaffronKit posted:

The highlight of that video is Booty totally forgetting Navigators have LR. Don' t blame Tom, blame yourself you darn forgetful commander! :argh:

No, I think Tom is entierly to blame.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
Take off and blame everyone from orbit, it's the only way to be sure.

Looking forward to your next LP, the alien base assault. The way things have been going, hopefully it will only take a couple of months to clear out the two to three hundred god-moding aliens Long War throws at you. :v:

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

Can someone clear up for me what made Tom's armour regen around the 9 minute mark? There is a cut and when it comes back he is back to full health / armour and I'm curious as to the means.
e: nevermind... later in the vid he gets run back to what I assume is the same person who healed him prior.

The Rabbi T. White fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Mar 16, 2016

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

The Rabbi T. White posted:

Can someone clear up for me what made Tom's armour regen around the 9 minute mark? There is a cut and when it comes back he is back to full health / armour and I'm curious as to the means.

It was a medkit.

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

ZiegeDame posted:

It was a medkit.

Yeah, as above. I saw that now. I thought he had some awesome armour mod thing that I had missed previously, but it was just the obvious.

Endomorphic
Jul 25, 2010

ZiegeDame posted:

Now I want to see a scenario where the landed UFO starts up towards the end of the fight and you either have to get your guys out of there before it takes off, or pile everyone on board and kill the pilot to bring it back down.
Or, if you kill the last alien *after* the autopilot kicks in, you get a special subsequent suicide mission with whoever is left of your squad to go rampaging through some unexpecting alien mothership or base. It'd be a high risk play that permanently cuts into your roster, gives the aliens research, hurts their economy, and might just turn out to be impossible to balance.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Hey, I finally made Gunnery Sergeant! Looking forward to carrying all the smokes now.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties
That was a nice mission. Hopefully the base assault isn't 8 videos long.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

sincx posted:

That was a nice mission. Hopefully the base assault isn't 8 videos long.

Well, better that than 1 pitifully sad and short video.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby

ikanreed posted:

Well, better that than 1 pitifully sad and short video.

I don't know about that.
:getin:

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

The Casualty posted:

I don't know about that.
:swanlake:

ftfy

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark

Youtube Link

New Stuff

Titan Armor

+0 mobility, +12 HP, +0.5 DR, immune to strangulation, fire, and partial immune to Acid (reduces aim and DR, but doesn't cause damage or mobility loss). This armor also has the Damage Control perk, giving 1.5 DR for the next 2 turns after the unit takes damage.

This is the beefiest armor we'll have for our regular troopers. I'm not sure how many we'll need exactly, but I'll want a minimum of five in the near future in preparation for the XCOM HQ defense.

Corsair Armor

+3 mobility, +6 HP, +8 defense, comes with a grappling hook. Its the 'advanced power armor' tier of light dodgy armor. I might make a couple suits for snipers when I get some extra cash. Its hard not to want to simply buy another Titan Armor for how much it costs, though.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
I see some of the Exalt have received special training.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
Welp, that whole thing with Samovar was dumb, I get it "makes sense" that it can't climb the rope, but then you get the body? That's Long War.

How many EXALT missions are left?

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

Wheany posted:

I see some of the Exalt have received special training.

Beaglerush's entire Live and Impossible series has a giant amount of "Always something with exalt"

One of them had the little exalt man STANDING ON A WALL SIDEWAYS. Complete with sideways sight radius!

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Get Jessica Coulton up to Corporal and nickname her "a real person".

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Titan armor is just soooo slow though!

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Akratic Method posted:

Get Jessica Coulton up to Corporal and nickname her "a real person".

X-COM is filled with crazy homicidal weirdos with bizarre nicknames and psychic powers, and then there's this one normal woman who got the wrong assignment.

e: Her very first mission, they intentionally give her crappy outdated equipment and inform her that she's there only to draw fire off of somebody named "Tax Refund," who will be in combat wearing a windbreaker. And then it turns out that's not necessary, because after the rest of the team's been hiding in a bus stop for half an hour, Tax Refund comes barreling out of a nearby liquor store at a dead sprint, with dozens of enemies right on her heels, and then everyone jumps on the plane and they fly away. Except for the robot, which they cheerfully leave behind for some reason nobody will explain.

megane fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Mar 18, 2016

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!
It has been mentioned before but the rankings for Xalt missions always annoys me.

Also, not strictly on topic but I prefer X-Com 2. Then again, I was a big fan of Invisible Inc so time being a constraints (big picture and on a mission by mission basis), flying around to specific locations for specific rewards etc were things I was used to and even appreciated in a way. XCOM2 felt like it hit its stride for me when I got the concealed ranger scout combined with Long Watch sniper activation combo going.

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

Gym badge day is a VERY dangerous day!

megane posted:

X-COM is filled with crazy homicidal weirdos with bizarre nicknames and psychic powers, and then there's this one normal woman who got the wrong assignment.

e: Her very first mission, they intentionally give her crappy outdated equipment and inform her that she's there only to draw fire off of somebody named "Tax Refund," who will be in combat wearing a windbreaker. And then it turns out that's not necessary, because after the rest of the team's been hiding in a bus stop for half an hour, Tax Refund comes barreling out of a nearby liquor store at a dead sprint, with dozens of enemies right on her heels, and then everyone jumps on the plane and they fly away. Except for the robot, which they cheerfully leave behind for some reason nobody will explain.

You forgot the part where Tax Refund was apparently being chased by Wall-Street bankers / wild west bandits after she punched a DirectTV satellite dish a couple of times and made all of the dudes change the magazines in their guns. Then command told her to chuck a grenade and a weird green glowy explodey thing at the bankers, but THEY DIDN'T DIE.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Dooky Dingo posted:

You forgot the part where Tax Refund was apparently being chased by Wall-Street bankers / wild west bandits after she punched a DirectTV satellite dish a couple of times and made all of the dudes change the magazines in their guns. Then command told her to chuck a grenade and a weird green glowy explodey thing at the bankers, but THEY DIDN'T DIE.

Sure, but it only makes sense that bankers would be after a Tax Refund, though. It's really the least insane part.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
How come you're doing the moderate abduction before the base assault? Risking ruined armor and such?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

Affi posted:

How come you're doing the moderate abduction before the base assault? Risking ruined armor and such?

Probably because the abduction has consequences if he doesn't do it and a moderate abduction probably won't be more than 18ish aliens.

• Locked thread